Doldrums and Oddities: Share Something Bemusing

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

The last sentence kinda says it all -

“Florida is the lightning capital of the world and lightning safety is important – if lightning is strong enough to melt rock, it can certainly melt people too,” added the researcher.
At least one Floridian also read this, went "no liberal academic tells me what to do", and will go out on the roof with a metal pole next time there's a thunderstorm.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least one Floridian also read this, went "no liberal academic tells me what to do", and will go out on the roof with a metal pole next time there's a thunderstorm.
Said person and others like them will be doing humanity a favor, when they get themselves killed.

I don't mind fan art of race bending another character, so long as this not done in poor taste or they're drawing as negative stereotypes. These artworks didn't bother me, but they intrigued me and found them adorable. I've already known about them since 2020-2021, but I always forgot to put my thoughts on it. The first put makes me think I'm looking at three different versions of Dijonay. Two of the pictures are fan art from Please Don't Bully Me, Nagataro. The third picture is a race bend of Power from Chainsaw Man.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*le sigh* remember when conspiracy theories could be quirky and/or fun?

The Aetherius Society is a new religious movement founded by George King in the mid-1950s[1][2][3] as the result of what King claimed were contacts with extraterrestrial intelligences, to whom he referred as "Cosmic Masters".[4][5][6] The main goal of the believer is to cooperate with these Cosmic Masters to help humanity solve its current Earthly problems and advance into the New Age.[7][2][8]

It is a syncretic religion, based primarily on theosophy[9] and incorporating millenarian, New Age, and UFO religion aspects.[9][10][11][12][13] Emphases of the religion include altruism, community service, nature worship, spiritual healing and physical exercise. Members meet in congregations like those of churches. John A. Saliba states that, unlike many other New Age or UFO religions, the Aetherius Society is for the most part considered uncontroversial, although its esoteric and millenarian aspects are sometimes ridiculed. The religion may be considered to have a relatively conventional praxis, attracting members from mainstream society.[14] The society's membership, although international, is relatively small. David V. Barrett suggested in 2011 that the worldwide membership was in the thousands, with the largest numbers in the United Kingdom, United States (particularly Southern California) and New Zealand.[15][16]

Overview[edit]
The theology of the Aetherius Society is regarded as firmly based in theosophy,[9][15][4][17] the Aetherius Society combines UFO claims, yoga, and ideas from various world religions,[2][3] notably Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity.[18][19] The society asserts itself as a plural or liberal religion, stating "nor does God favor people of one religion over another – and certainly not people of one country or race over another".[20] Stefan Isaksson notes that it has "become a complex religious belief system that includes an extraterrestrial hierarchy of various spiritual masters and such concepts as universal karma and religious healing."[21][22][23] The religion's goal is to prevent worldly destruction by improving cooperation between humanity and various alien 'masters',[2][24][25] and by using 'spiritual energy' to improve the spiritual calibre of the world.[13][24][26] The society has claimed that various disasters may be prevented or relieved by prayer, often aided by "Spiritual Energy Batteries" meant to store healing psychic energy[13][27][28] The society also believes that it is to prepare the way for the "Next Master," a messianic figure who will descend upon Earth in a flying saucer, possessing "magic" more powerful than all the world's armies.[29][30][31] The society is named after Aetherius, a being King claims to have telepathically contacted and channelled. Aetherius is believed to be a Cosmic Master from Venus, as are Buddha and Jesus.[29][32][33]

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Ok, you win; I need to get my life together. So help me start the process by telling me what those are if NOT tacos.
once you see it you can't unsee it and wonder why you didn't see it to begin with: slices of pineapple

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Honestly, If you prime people with the word "taco" and then show them a picture of something that looks a lot like a taco, they're probably going to see a taco.
But if you qualify that priming with the word "taco" with the expressed admission that it is NOT a taco, and they still only see a taco, well... tacos.

(I don't like tacos, btw; I just know one when I see one. Apparently I know one when I DON'T see one too. Is that a super power?)

Reactions: gorfias

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
But if you qualify that priming with the word "taco" with the expressed admission that it is NOT a taco, and they still only see a taco, well... tacos.

(I don't like tacos, btw; I just know one when I see one. Apparently I know one when I DON'T see one too. Is that a super power?)
It would seem that you are omniscient, but only when it comes to tacos.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
When you're on your 6th defense lawyer for a crime you drunkenly filmed yourself engaging in, is probably not a good idea to constantly berate them and make out that them being the 6th lawyer is somehow a sign of their lack of professionalism.

Lawyer 6 even tried dismissing themselves from the case due to her behaviour but was denied by the judge cause it had already been dragged out long enough. Felt brief moment of sympathy for a second there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
What if Bubsy was a real person in a sad costume?

What if he had no jokes?

What if his creator went mad taking down any and all negative criticism of their work?

And they instead made up people and places to write fake positive reviews?

And that creator also used services to keep web searches and other inconvenient info about them hidden from public?

And their Bubsy official character twitter account tried to hold a pretense of a very basic idea of "family friendly" image but occasionally forgets and posts jarring 'anti-woke' reactionary political takes by unsavoury influencers?

What if Bubsy was worse on every conceivable level?

Well don't worry, 'Cool cat' by Derek Savage has got your back!

And our humble sage TVtropes appears unaffected by online data scrubs, thankfully.

Derek Savagenote (b. May 13, 1962) is a film director and writer.
He is best known for Cool Cat Saves the Kids, a No Budget So Bad, It's Good movie released in 2015, which was actually patched from three earlier Cool Cat videos. Most of his film projects involve Cool Cat, a character Savage says was his childhood Imaginary Friend. Cool Cat was introduced in a series of self-published picture books for children. Other self-published Savage book projects include children's books starring such characters as Trolly the Trout and Bible Birdie, and novels with titles like Bad Boy: The Male Dancer (formerly titled Midnight Stripper: A Male Dancer Story and The Dancer: A Male Stripper Story), Sweet Revenge and The Judgment (originally Hell's Nightmare, among many, many other titles).

Very little is known about Savage and his background. Among the few tidbits he's revealed are that he posed for Playgirl magazine in the late 1980s, and worked as an extra in projects like Back to School and Fatal Beauty. He's also the host of his own awards show, the 420 Awards, which began in 2019 and is hosted every, you guessed it, April 20th.

Savage gained infamy in November 2015 when he began taking down web reviews of his film, including ones by I Hate Everything and Bobsheaux.

Filmography
  • Back to School (1985)
  • Fatal Beauty (1987)
  • Cool Cat Stops Bullying (2012)
  • Cool Cat in the Hollywood Christmas Parade (2012)
  • Cool Cat Finds a Gun (2013)
  • Cool Cat Saves the Kids (2015)
  • Gun Self-Defense for Women (2016)
  • The Savage Crime Show (2016)
  • Cool Cat Kids Superhero (2018)note
  • Gun Self-Defense for Ladies (2018)note
  • 420 Awards (2019-present)
  • Cool Cat's Crazy Dream (2019)note
  • Cool Cat Fights Coronavirus (2021)
  • Cool Cat Saves the Kids: Director's Cut (2022)note
  • Self-Defense for All (2022)note
Tropes related to Savage go here.
  • Approval of God: Savage himself started out praising YouTubers who criticized his movie. Suddenly, he began taking down videos on a massive scale.
  • As Himself: He portrays himself in Cool Cat Saves The Kids.
  • Blatant Lies:
    • Derek likes to make up fake reviews, usually by celebrities who don't even know him or even unknowns, to put on the DVD covers of his films.note The most glaring example is when Savage claimed that Bill Meléndez praised Cool Cat. This 'press release' was published in 2013, but Melendez died in 2008.
    • Savage would also often make up blurbs from groups such as the "Going Green Coalition" and "Parents and Kids First Organization", neither of which actually exist.
  • Bleached Underpants: He used to pose for Playgirl in the 1980s and wrote a book titled Bad Boy, dealing with the life of a male stripper, before moving on to (relatively) family-friendly content.
  • Carpet of Virility: For some reason, he likes to wear unbuttoned shirts that show off his chest hair. The same goes for his character in CCSTK.
  • Character Blog: This Twitter account is, in theory, supposed to be a family-friendly place run by Cool Cat himself. But Savage often uses it to express his own political opinions, bicker with people, complain about problems he's facing, gush over celebrities, flirt with women, and generally promote himself.
  • Copiously Credited Creator: Besides the prominent note "Cool Cat is created by Derek Savage", Savage is also credited for directing, producing, writing, acting, additional camera, color correction, writing and producing the opening and closing credits, and writing and producing the songs (with other people listed for "music track by"). He's also been accused of making up pseudonyms so he can avoid crediting himself with any more stuff.
  • Creator Breakdown:
    • Derek Savage took to harassing anyone who uploads any content that mocks his film in any way. He's even gone as far as to threaten legal action against I Hate Everything and gotten into fights with his fans on Twitter, to the point where Cool Cat's tweets were protected for a while. The sad part is that it didn't used to be this way. When the film was popularized by the YourMovieSucks.org review, Derek Savage found out about it, and took the criticism in stride. The only thing he complained about were the "Cool Cat is actually a pedophile" jokes, which he thought were taking things a bit too far. Otherwise, he acted far more reasonable than he does now.
    • As said by IHE in his "IT'S OVER" video, he received an email from a "law firm" Byrne & Shapiro pressuring him into taking down his video for Jurassic Shark. Although initially believing it, he said that cracks began to show when he noticed that they didn't leave a phone number, didn't try to hit his video with a copyright strike, don't have an office and sent the email from a Yahoo account, the same e-mail service Savage uses. Additional digging from Your Movie Sucks shows that the director and producer of Shark have never even heard of the law firm or Savage. Needing more evidence, IHE tricked Savage into admitting he made up B&S when it started to bite him in the ass.
    • He also managed to dox several YouTubers who made parody videos including Mr. Bump, maker of the YouTube Poop "Cool Cat Joins ISIS", whom he threatened to send the address of to the real ISIS. Later he threatened to send the same address to the FBI terror division under the false pretense that Mr. Bump was actually affiliated with ISIS. It really goes to show what depths Savage will sink to in order to "Protect his brand."
  • Dear Negative Reader: Derek Savage has baited his haters to send criticism his way, only to report their negative reviews for copyright violations.
  • George Lucas Altered Version: Savage tends to do a lot of these for both his Cool Cat films and his film Gun Self-Defense for Women (later Gun-Self-Defense for Ladies and Guns, Knives, Mace: Self-Defense for All).
  • Gun Nut: Outside of CCSTK, where he makes it clear that kids shouldn't be messing with guns, Derek LOVES them, and even made a movie called Gun Self Defense For Women.
  • Hostility on the Set: According to Jason Johnson, Derek Savage frequently hit on Momma Cat's actress April Berrynote , though she would always reject his advances and dinner invitations. On the final day of filming, Berry reportedly allowed Johnson to use her shower after he had spent the entire day in the Cool Cat outfit, at which point Derek stormed into her house uninvited and furiously confronted them, mistakenly under the impression that something was going on between Berry and Johnson. Berry never worked with Savage since this incident, resulting in Savage recasting Momma Cat in the recut, and Johnson only worked with Savage on the new scenes in the recut, with Savage taking over Cool Cat's voice himself afterwards.
  • Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Except for Cool Cat Stops Bullying, all the Cool Cat books have Cool Cat Loves [X] as a title.
  • Large Ham: Hams it up all the time.
  • Malaproper: There's also video of him talking about his books Cool Cat Loves Going Grink and Cool Cat Loves Alternatul Fuels, and in a YouTube video he talked about the famous singer Peril (or Parallel) Williams. He's also been known to pronounce his own name in a way that makes it sound like he's calling himself Garrick Savage.
  • Product Placement: There are product placements for Cool Cat T-Shirts and books in CCSTK, as well as him showing off his Van Halen signed guitar (that was probably a replica). There are also various famous cars shown in the movie, like The Mystery Machine, the ECTO-1, the DeLorean and Bumblebee. Now, what was that about copyright, Derek?
  • Real Men Love Jesus: He made a book called Bible Birdie, and quotes from the Gospel are plastered all over Cool Cat's house.
  • Stage Name: Evidence points to Derek Savage being one, though Savage has never confirmed this.note
  • Streisand Effect: You could rename this the Savage Effect, based on how Daddy Derek's copyright strikes and grandstanding took Cool Cat from obscurity to major phenomenon practically overnight note , as well as raising the profiles of I Hate Everything, Bobsheaux and Your Movie Sucks.
  • Vanity Publishing: All of Savage's books are published by a self-owned publisher called Blue Thunder Books.
  • What Could Have Been: Over the years, Savage has planned a number of unrealized projects, including a documentary called Medical Marijuana: Does it Work?, as well as Cool Cat vs. the Wicked Witch (which got merged into Cool Cat Stops a School Shooting).
  • Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: In this video, Derek Savage admits that he didn't conceive Cool Cat Saves the Kids as a full-length project. Instead, he started with a single short video (Cool Cat Stops Bullying, with Erik Estrada and Vivica A. Fox), then when he had trouble selling it, tried making two other shorts (finding a gun and the Hollywood parade), then when he realized that he'd have more luck with a feature-length film, stitched them all together with an additional half-hour of new material. Some of the oddities of the film, like Cool Cat's habit of pausing in the middle of sentences ("it's not cool to...paint on someone's wall!"), the type of unpolished delivery you get from child actors who never had a chance to rehearse, and Non Sequitur lines (like Daddy Derek's response to being told how crazy the day was: "Hey, I hope that's a great thing!") make it seem like the dialogue was ad-libbed or was scripted on the fly, but Jason Johnson has said that there was an actual (grammatically-incorrect, sometimes incoherent) screenplay.
Is a regular poster to this very day. All bad vibes all round.

This feels like something that might've been covered on Best of the Worst at some point. If so, I definitely missed it.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler