Don Daglow Dissects the American Online Gamer

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
You just don't get satire do you?
To me, it feels like he was making a legitimate critique of general "Americans" and then tried to dress it up as a joke to deflect reasonable angry responses. Part of that is because what he said had truth to it. His points were thought-out and analytic, albeit over-generalized. To me, they seemed way too thought-out to be anything but.
Umm, that's how satire is. Watch Bill Maher's Real Talk, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, they're ALL satirical comedy shows. Those 3 shows have said things about America that were far more insulting but just as analytically yet people love those shows. You're just talking this too seriously, which is common with satire, people do take it too seriously. The same way Bill O'Reily takes John Stewart's joke too seriously.
Plus, the whole "Guffaw! Americans are stupid, ignorant, trigger-happy dirt-farmers who know jack shit about anything outside the U.S.! Guffaw!" is a dead horse that has been beaten far too often for far too long. Jokes go from funny to irritating when repeated over and over ad infitum.
To non Americans such as myself, its no to wild to call Americans trigger happy. You guys have had a mass shooting almost every week since The Dark Knight Rises came out thats made it to worldwide news. All Jokes and Stereotypes have a nugget of truth to them, and if me living in Canada makes people think I'm nothing but a French speaking syrup slurping maniac lumberjack who lives in an igloo, then whatever.

Seriously, book a flight to Poland and start making well-versed and analytic poverty and potato jokes - see how well received your "satire" is over there.
What makes me laugh about your argument (and anyone who's offended and arguing about this joke) is that you skip over the fact that the guy IS an American saying these things. It's obviously satire at that point there. He's making fun of his own market but bringing up points in an intelligent and funny way. You took this way to seriously.

Sep 14, 2009
haha funny satire at that, after the first couple lines I had a "futurama fry" moment, where I wasn't sure, but as it went on it became blatantly clear on the satire. (still was hiding some slight truth in it though.)

Jeesh..and this only has 3 pages? I swear that "girlfriend mode" thread is up to 10 pages, and that is one single word..this guy has a whole damn article speech on it, I figured it'd get at least 20 pages by now from butthurt people.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Great stories, tonight I was egg-head guy, infected with the parasite. Was pairing with another greatclub guy and going to town. Seen the parry greatclub hit? It looks great.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Cyrus Hanley said:
So much for reading comprehension and a sense of humour.
What if I told you I have dyslexia, would you continue to feel happy about insulting my reading comprehension?

On another note, why do you feel the need to attack me for feeling angry?
Have I somehow hurt your quality of life by being angry about something someone completely unrelated to you has said?

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
snip
snap'd
What makes me laugh about your argument (and anyone who's offended and arguing about this joke) is that you skip over the fact that the guy IS an American saying these things. It's obviously satire at that point there. He's making fun of his own market but bringing up points in an intelligent and funny way. You took this way to seriously.
I concede - point taken. I did take that too seriously, now looking at it in retrospect. I still find it too condescending to find the humor in it, but after all, everything I've said prior has also been entirely in my own personal opinion. My loss.

But to add: Yes, I'm also aware he's an American; there are a lot of self-hating euro-trash here on the East Coast (can't think of a better, shorter term for them ATM: I'm talking about people who wish they were European because they hate their own country). Most of them grow out of it after high school or college, but some never do. To me it wasn't too far of a stretch to assume he was the self-loathing type.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Eclpsedragon said:
Cyrus Hanley said:
So much for reading comprehension and a sense of humour.
What if I told you I have dyslexia, would you continue to feel happy about insulting my reading comprehension?
Sure.

Eclpsedragon said:
On another note, why do you feel the need to attack me for feeling angry?
I didn't attack you, stop making false claims.

Why did you feel the need to attack a guy making a joke?

Eclpsedragon said:
Have I somehow hurt your quality of life by being angry about something someone completely unrelated to you has said?
No.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Cyrus Hanley said:
Yeah well I took it that way, considering that's exactly what it sounded like, then again it's impossible to read emotions through text, which is why it's so pointless to argue online.

Which is why I'm no longer going to argue with you, good day sir.
I wish you a long and happy life.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
So game devs should appeal to the lowest common denominator
When i read that the words Activision Call of duty, and xbox live morons popped into my head.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
snip
snap'd
I concede - point taken. I did take that too seriously, now looking at it in retrospect. I still find it too condescending to find the humor in it, but after all, everything I've said prior has also been entirely in my own personal opinion. My loss.

But to add: Yes, I'm also aware he's an American; there are a lot of self-hating euro-trash here on the East Coast (can't think of a better, shorter term for them ATM: I'm talking about people who wish they were European because they hate their own country). Most of them grow out of it after high school or college, but some never do. To me it wasn't too far of a stretch to assume he was the self-loathing type.
well at least we are not American junk food chompers, from your description of europeans you seem to be coming across as offended. when infact it was an American who described you as historically illiterate. not a european. i know it's not true for many other mericans but at times some of you can come across as willfully ignorant, like you are wrapped up in your own little world.
may be it's your education system thats to blame, and not USA'S national character.

i generally saw this comment on a YT video bashing US intelligence, who retorted that thought steven hawking was american, because of his computer generated voice.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
turrel1981 said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
snip
snap'd

well at least we are not American junk food chompers, from your description of europeans you seem to be coming across as offended. when infact it was an American who described you as historically illiterate. not a european. i know it's not true for many other mericans but at times some of you can come across as willfully ignorant, like you are wrapped up in your own little world.
may be it's your education system thats to blame, and not USA'S national character.

i generally saw this comment on a YT video bashing US intelligence, who retorted that thought steven hawking was american, because of his computer generated voice.
You're an idiot. I was offended, but now I really don't give shit anymore.

In my first post I was intentionally being offensive. I don't actually think any of that; I was making a very poorly-expressed point.

This was weeks ago. You're a little late to the party and after this post I'm not going to bother replying. Stupid child.

turrel1981

Aug 15, 2012
Chimichanga said:
turrel1981 said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Chimichanga said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
snip
snap'd

You're an idiot. I was offended, but now I really don't give shit anymore.

In my first post I was intentionally being offensive. I don't actually think any of that; I was making a very poorly-expressed point.

This was weeks ago. You're a little late to the party and after this post I'm not going to bother replying. Stupid child.
you were offended which means he got your goat, ergo
it pissed you off, now you are back peddling, and questioning someone's intelligence really shows you have no viable answer, oh and for your information i'm 31, bet i've got more years than you, Well i may be stupid but i've got free healthcare and a decent education system. so i can't complain. jealous?