Doner Kebabs!

Dec 14, 2009
Open your minds plebs and let my paint of knowledge create art on your canvas of ignorance.

Pictured: Your stupid brain.

It's a Saturday night, you're in the town centre with friends, or at least you think you are, you can't quite remember. As the red haze of drunkenness clouds your vision, and you proclaim your love to the seventeenth stranger that night, you feel something in the back of your mind, something primal, instinct.

Even the cats are pissed, when was the last time you saw a drunk cat? Never. That's how drunk you are.

As you stumble through town, possibly through a field, maybe even an abattoir, you don't know, all you know is that alcohol poisoning is setting in. Your mouth is dry, your stomach is churning worse than that time you ate the mystery meat at that one restaurant you went to.

You need help, and fast, you know you can't handle another stomach pump, not after the last time, you can't handle all the disapproving eyes again. A white hot thought seers through your mind, and you now know what must be done. You stumble through the town/field/abattoir, the point of no return is closing in, you feel all hope drain from you, which will be shortly followed by all the other fluids of your body.

You finally see it, on the horizon, a place of hope, a place of recovery...

Greenwich? How the bloody hell did I get here? And why is it Christmas?

The Great British Food God has heard your drunken ramblings for mercy and has found you deserving. He has given you the only cure for irresponsible drinking.

He has given you...

Vertical meat.

Through the wonders of miraculous food science, it has been scientifically proven by science that the only way to treat the onset of severe alcohol poison is through the immediate consumption of the healthiest food known to man. Doner Kebab.

Now, I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, 'But Daystar, you seismic mass of manliness, doner kebab is Turkish, what has this got to with British food?'.

That's a good question, my fragrant ferret, and I have the answer.

The Turkish come from Turkey, and as we all know, Turkey was named after the bird, which pre-dates the country by eleventy thousand years. turkey is a bird that Americans eat at Thanksgiving, America was a British colony, ergo, kebab is British.

True story.

Have you ever seen a more British moustache?

You stumble into the kebab shop and rest your chin on the counter. The chef takes one look at you and nods knowingly, he knows what you need, and with twinkle in his eye, he shaves the mighy vertical meat.

Yeah, that's right.

Shaves.

It's like he's shaving the face of deliciousness.

The chef gathers the delicious shavings and places them in a pita bread, adding a handful of salad (how else will you keep that figure?). You hand him an unknown amount of money, you don't care, money is inconsequential, you need the man face meat shavings.

He hands you the kebab, along with £45 in change.

The face of meat.

You take a bite of the kebab and your senses are overwhelmed. A taste explosion on your vomit stained tongue.

You feel the magic, as a litres of fat enter your stomach, neutralising the alcohol, you feel better already, with a grumble, you thank the moustachioed chef and head in the direction you think is home.

You wake up the next day, your face smeared with grease, the sun shining in your face, you're not at home, you're on a bench, but you're still alive.

Alive enough to do it all again next week.

Thank you doner kebab.

You're a hero.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
It seems out of no where someone has put their cracked in my escapist.

Regardless, second best story I've read about vertical meat. And the only one I can show my parents! Well done sir.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Kebab is the greatest gift to mankind bestowed by the stars. It's perfect, it's cheap, it's reasonably simple to eat and it does wonders when you're drunk or have been drunk.

I like just looking at the spinning meat cylinder of goodness. It's like one of those old barbershop poles. They ought to have them outside, by the door.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Fuck yeah Döner :D

I also feel I should say the umlaut o makes it sound more like Derner than Donner. You know, because I'm pretentious and shit XD

There are Döner shops everywhere in Schwäbisch Gmünd. Me and my friends have gotten Döner in the city center almost every night for the past 3 weeks after drinking at a bar called Bassano's. They're delicious. I wish there were Döner in Grand Rapids, but alas we don't really have a big Turkish (Or British XD) immigrant population so no restaurants. :(

The guy at the stand was actually asking us about how Americans view Turks, and my friend told him "How do Turkish Germans view Mexicans" XD

He didn't believe us that there wasn't really a Turkish stereotype in the midwest at first. XD

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
There's a Turkish take away about a minute away from my Uni halls. I had a doner from there once. Suffice to say I never want to have one again.

Dec 14, 2009
Lethos said:
There's a Turkish take away about a minute away from my Uni halls. I had a doner from there once. Suffice to say I never want to have one again.
It's not about 'wanting a kebab'.

How else will you not die from alcohol poisoning? The hospital?

Might as well kill yourself for all the good that'd do.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Last Döner: around New Year's Eve. The next Döner... 6 weeks?

,-_-

God, I miss them. Technically, there are lots of takeaways around where turkish looking people sell something that is called Kebab but it sucks poop.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
And the random food threads are back!

Ahh the donner, the only cure for Lager poisoning. It's true.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ah, Doner, you are just the best thing to have after a boozy night out.

Also amazing on a Pizza as well =D

Dec 14, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Who else would think to put kebab on pizza?

Nobody, that's who, that's why we're the best.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Daystar! The food you eat is bad and you should feel bad! (Though I really shouldn't expect better from Nottingham degenerates)

Doner meat is the foul scrapings of mangy roadkill off of Satan's sweaty ball sack. What you want is a good pie/sausage/burger (if attainable) from a good chippy. The hearty meant and the fluffy, absorbent chips are just as good for mopping up alcohol, with the added bonus of not tasting like the fungus removed from the Big Friendly Giant's toenails.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Your short story almost literally made me water at the mouth, and now I want to get a kebab delightfully drizzled with garlic mayonnaise.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Daystar! The food you eat is bad and you should feel bad! (Though I really shouldn't expect better from Nottingham degenerates)

Doner meat is the foul scrapings of mangy roadkill off of Satan's sweaty ball sack. What you want is a good pie/sausage/burger (if attainable) from a good chippy. The hearty meant and the fluffy, absorbent chips are just as good for mopping up alcohol, with the added bonus of not tasting like the fungus removed from the Big Friendly Giant's toenails.
When I wake up feeling like death, I make a delicious sausage sandwich.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Andy Shandy said:

First off: the Döner was invented by turkish immigrants in Berlin.
Second: Us Germans have been putting kebap on pizza since forever.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Andy Shandy said:

And then afterwards, you wash it down with an ice-cold Irn Bru.

The best meal.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
It's not about 'wanting a kebab'.

How else will you not die from alcohol poisoning? The hospital?

Might as well kill yourself for all the good that'd do.
Spar's £1 bag of doughnuts is the best drunk food. Tasty enough to make you feel like you're eating a cloud. Not greasy enough to make you feel regret the next morning.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Calibanbutcher said:
[...[

Not completely true but also not completely false:

This is a Döner (more or less the chips are normally just bread sticks but you cant find anything better). You notice what is not there? Right it is the bread "bag".
This is where according to the legend the turkish immigrants from Berlin come in.
They noticed that the germans are always on their feet and dont stop for lunch break and so they said to themself: Hey let's put it everything in a nice bread and they can take it along. And thus the legend of the great Döner Kebab began to conquer the world. Of course there were follow ups like the Döner pizza:
Here the plain version without anything but flesh and onion:

And here the more tasty but also slower to eat full version:
Or the Pomdöner:
But nothing ever will be as good as the best known version which comes with its own edible bag

Dec 14, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Andy Shandy said:

False.

My facts are based on actual truths, uncovered by scientific fact finders of science.

You're just spouting gibberish.

NinjaDeathSlap said:

False.

Your mum smells.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
The best thing about Kebabs is that I never have to think about what to eat the next morning.
If you get full the night before, just tuck it back in it's box and put it within arms reach. Go to sleep, and when you wake up you can have breakfast in bed!