Don't hit a girl?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I got into a discussion with my friends today and this sort of came up, and as a transgirl I made my position clear.

Don't start fights, but...

my children will be taught that if anyone takes a swing at you: boy or girl, that they have my blessing to fight back. My belief is that anyone who decides to get physical has to be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

Is this a minority or 'incorrect' view? Or would you agree with this stance?

discuss

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF someone takes a swing at me, I try to avoid it (and said fight).

BUT, if I'm cornered, I have no issue with breaking someone's jaw.

Doesn't matter what's between their legs.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I swear we get one of these every few months. Do people on here spend a lot of time contemplating when they might be allowed to hit girls?

Half-joking comment aside, my opinion on the matter is that context is everything. If a person just swings a punch at you, that doesn't mean beating them up is acceptable. If you feel that person will not stop trying to harm you, then more force may be necessary, but as much restraint should be shown as possible. Judgement should be made at the time based upon circumstances, mainly if the person is actually capable of seriously harming you.

If you genuinely believe your life is in danger then you are within your rights to defend yourself regardless of who or what it is from. If you can defend yourself without harming your attacker then that is ideal, but if you do not believe that you can then you should do whatever you feel is necessary to protect yourself.

You also don't specify the sex of the person being attacked. The idea of "don't hit girls" only tends to be applied when it is a guy.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
If some *****, regardless of gender, wanna throw down with me, I'll gladly fight. I could use the combat experience.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I preemptively run around punching anyone I meet just to ensure I have the upper hand in any physical confrontation.

Well, at least my alter-ego the Feminism Fighter, dressed in an old BDSM mask I found behind a sex shop with a bed-sheet for a cape does.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
InB4 "If girls want equal rights, I get to punch them in the face."

OP: You should be able to defend yourself against anyone with reasonable force.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
If they swing at you they accept that you may now swing at them. Don't start the fight if you don't want a fight.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'd explain it to you, but mr. Booster Gold does a great job of it, so I'll let him show how I feel about this. Mr. Gold?

Thank you.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
So how long in till this turns in raging about feminist being hypocritical despite the fact that every time I see this come up most feminist agree with you being able to hit girls?

You shouldn't be hitting anyone without good reason. Gender doesn't matter. If someone attacks you, guy or girl you can damn well defend yourself. Unfortunately people tend to assume the guy is the aggressor. Hopefully that will change.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't hit people.

Why would I do that?

Is it common for people who aren't me to hit people?

I'm afraid to go outside now. ;____;

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
"Never hit a woman" still kind of works for me. If it's a woman I usually don't have to hit back. With most women I assume I can get away with just holding their wrists or something if they freak out on me. Of course if she benches more than I do I might have to resort shots to the face.

The rule becomes "Use only minimal force."

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Legion said:
I swear we get one of these every few months. Do people on here spend a lot of time contemplating when they might be allowed to hit girls?

Half-joking comment aside, my opinion on the matter is that context is everything. If a person just swings a punch at you, that doesn't mean beating them up is acceptable. If you feel that person will not stop trying to harm you, then more force may be necessary, but as much restraint should be shown as possible. Judgement should be made at the time based upon circumstances, mainly if the person is actually capable of seriously harming you.

If you genuinely believe your life is in danger then you are within your rights to defend yourself regardless of who or what it is from. If you can defend yourself without harming your attacker then that is ideal, but if you do not believe that you can then you should do whatever you feel is necessary to protect yourself.

You also don't specify the sex of the person being attacked. The idea of "don't hit girls" only tends to be applied when it is a guy.
So , if i just walk up and punch you , what is the acceptable response? Because i get the urge to punch people all the time , i don't do it , but i want to . I there's not going to be any reprecussions ....

OT: I personally wouldn't punch a girl . However , if i girl hit me , you best believe she'll be meeting the back of my hand ( which not only hurts , but is insulting ). Now , if i a girl actually wanted to beat me up , i might swing back, assuming she wanted to brawl.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Clowndoe said:
"Never hit a woman" still kind of works for me. If it's a woman I usually don't have to hit back. With most women I assume I can get away with just holding their wrists or something if they freak out on me. Of course if she benches more than I do I might have to resort shots to the face.

The rule becomes "Use only minimal force."
Same sentiment here.
I probably wouldn't hurt her because I wouldn't want to and/or my physique isn't exactly top-caliber if you know what I mean. I'd likely run before anything serious broke out so hopefully it never comes to that.

What?

I'm a flimsy little man, I strong wind will break me in half, I'm not going to fight anybody!

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
torno said:
What?

I'm a flimsy little man, I strong wind will break me in half, I'm not going to fight anybody!
Hey I'm not judging you. I'm 6'3 and 140 lbs. Despite working out three times a week, I still struggle to bench 100. I have been literally the weakest guy in every room I've ever been in since I was in second grade. In spite of that, I still manage to be stronger than the vast majority of women at a gym.

But just because you can doesn't mean you should, and if you can avoid anyone getting hurt by running then by all means.

Daria.Morgendorffer

Nov 26, 2011
Feminism doesn't mean you should be able to hit women. However, you're against feminism if you're a girl and hide behind being a girl to keep a guy from hitting you if you're attacking him.

Of course, I've been in martial arts for more than five years and I have the hardest time getting guys to attack me. I don't learn how to defend myself if I don't know what it's like to be attacked. But that's a controlled and safe environment.

That said, using your best judgment means use as much force as it takes to make anyone attacking you, male or female, stop attacking you.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I'm not really a fighter so I'll always avoid physical conflict.

What I HATE about women is that a lot of them will abuse the "Don't hit girls" rule and provoke you knowing you're not going to hit back.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure there are double standards these days where the punishment for assault is different depending on which gender you've hit.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Sure. Why not? Self defense is an acceptable excuse for violence.

But a rule you have to think about is, reasonable assumption of danger. If a 6'4, 200 lb male beat a much weaker male in self defense, and went overboard, they'd question why you'd feel so threatened.

Though personally, a physical conflict with a female is rare for me. The only time, I've hit a woman was because I misinterpreted a blowjob.