Don't hit a girl?

oreso

Mar 12, 2012
SimpleThunda said:
I had this girlfriend that was constantly agonizing me. I'm not sure what her problem was (needless to say it didn't last very long). She constantly bit me, pinched me, all that sort of thing. It didn't bother me much and when she got too annoying I grabbed her hands or something to make her stop. I never really resorted to hitting back or anything. However one day she -elbowed me in the side of the head- (yeah wtf). That just crossed a line with me and I lost self-control and threw her into a wall. It felt pretty weird and I certainly wasn't proud of myself. I felt more shame, actually.
I hope you realise that this is an abusive relationship, and you should never have to put up with any kind of bullying or violence from a partner.

Of course, it's best to get help or get out BEFORE you fight back, and especially the authorities and charitable services probably won't help that much against female aggressors, but there are other places online where people will be more understanding.

Some folks got your back.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
My dad always taught me and my sisters to NEVER hit first, and when they do take a hit, drop down and pretend you have immense back pain. Wait for paramedics to arrive and let the system take care of your attacker.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
You shouldn't hit anyone if you can avoid it.

If, however, someone threatens you or another person's safety, then you have a right to self-defence. That's obvious. When we say "don't hit girls", we're not saying "under absolute no circumstances can you ever hit a woman", because that's ludicrous. If a woman is coming after me with a steak-knife, intent on driving it into my chest, I'm going to defend myself and no one would disagree with my right to defend myself.

"Don't hit girls", however, is generally a very good rule. But we should extend that to "don't hit people", period.

TeamDei

Aug 4, 2013
Depends on the situation.

In general, if I'm being assaulted by a female attacker, I'll start with trying to escape the situation (aka, running away). Next is blocking, restraining her, or tossing her to the side and escaping. Only as a last resort will I strike her, because I know I'll hurt her if I do strike her. Again, this is a general situation.

I was raised to never hit girls; if a girl was attacking me, I should walk/run away. I believe I was taught this not out of respect for women, but out of fear of the law. If a man attacks a woman, even in self-defense, the law will usually take the side of the woman.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Kalezian said:
OT, I was born and raised in the south, while many things didn't stick at least the idea of never hitting a girl did.
...and you, sir, are an example of why this topic keeps coming up. In a lot of places it gets firmly engrained in boys (who later become men) that hitting women is a special extra-bad kind of violence that is never permissible.

IOW, the reason why they thought this commercial was both permissible and funny for Oikos yogurt, but if the gender of the individuals were reversed it would never have even been considered, is the cultural attidue that is problematic.

bemusement

Oct 4, 2011
Only if a woman starts the conflict by taking a swing at me or tries to physically abuse me.
Even then I probably wouldn't unless she is a threat.

EtherealBeaver

Apr 26, 2011
chinangel said:
I got into a discussion with my friends today and this sort of came up, and as a transgirl I made my position clear.

Don't start fights, but...

my children will be taught that if anyone takes a swing at you: boy or girl, that they have my blessing to fight back. My belief is that anyone who decides to get physical has to be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

Is this a minority or 'incorrect' view? Or would you agree with this stance?

discuss
Gender equality. Pure and simple as that. If I am assaulted, I will defend myself regardless of my assailants gender. Since I am a rather strong guy, I´d most likely not want to hit anyone regardless of gender but I would not mind immobilizing my assailant with whatever means are nessecary - again, regardless of gender. If that means hitting, then hitting it would be and gender would make no difference to me beacause I am an egalitarian and belive in equality between the genders

WenisPagon

Mar 16, 2010
Sure, you can hit a girl. Just don't be surprised when she pulls out a handgun and caps your abusive butt.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Exercise minimal force required to end the situation, and I don't care who started it.

(Disclaimer: I've never been in a fight.)

WenisPagon said:
Sure, you can hit a girl. Just don't be surprised when she pulls out a handgun and caps your abusive butt.
You only bothered reading the title, didn't you?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
WenisPagon said:
Not sure if serious, given name.

I guess this is supposedly the acceptable response? Non-lethal melee strike warrants lethal projectile in response provided melee victim is female?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I have a policy: I won't hit you, but if you come at me and I feel you can actually harm me. You're gone to be introduced to the floor, regardless of your gender.

saoirse13

Mar 21, 2012
Personally Its not acceptable to hit anyone, particularly not a man hitting a girl........................
However, If some girl is coming at a guy swinging punches and kicks, then said guy has every right to protect himself and if that mean the girl receives a good auld blow to the cheek then thats her problem for starting crap in the first place.

I used to think it was inexcusable for a guy to ever punch a woman in any circumstances. But after a visious attack last year on a friend of mine who was minding his own business when he got jumped by a group of guys and a couple of tramp girls then i thought to myself if he hadda stood up forhimself and broke their jaws then he would have been well within his right to.

If girls have the balls to start fights with guys then they have to take the consquences of getting a good hard smack.