Don't hit a girl?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
A minority view in the US perhaps, but not "incorrect." Although I don't see the "don't hit a girl" viewpoint as incorrect either. Both have pros and cons. One is very rigid and errs on the side of caution. The other is more flexible to accommodate any situation, but largely depends on the person's judgement (which is hardly foolproof, especially for kids)

May 29, 2011
Topsider said:
Use_Imagination_here said:
Your comment seems to imply that strength is a factor. In which case the woman being much stronger than an average male would also be a factor.
The average male isn't much to compare against in this day and age, so no, I don't imagine a woman being much stronger than the average male would make much of a difference in my case.
Look what is your point? That's what I'm trying to get out of this.

Men shouldn't hit women WHY. Answer the question because you certainly haven't so far.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Men shouldn't hit women WHY. Answer the question because you certainly haven't so far.
The same reason it's a generally accepted creed that adults shouldn't hit children. "Oh, but what if the child is unusually large and mighty, and the adult is a dwarf?". It's just not very interesting to go searching for exceptions, and worse still it makes the person doing it sound like a dangerous lunatic.

You don't hit people smaller/weaker than you because A) hitting is dangerous and B) it becomes measurably more dangerous the larger the size/strength disparity between you and your target. If my girlfriend punches me with her little weiner fists and noodle arms, she'd need to get pretty lucky to do damage. I could easily seriously hurt her with a return blow. And I'm not even a particularly huge or martially dangerous man. I just have a significant height/weight advantage.

I went to school with a guy who was a golden gloves boxer. He was held to a different standard than other kids. He wasn't ALLOWED to just blow off steam and have a stupid school fight, and when he did, and the inevitable result occurred, he was arrested. "He started it" didn't stand up as a legal defense, and it shouldn't ever really be justification for battering someone smaller, weaker, or less skilled than yourself.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything in life, and obviously a good motto is just "don't hit period" as opposed to "feel free to cut loose if someone is bigger than you", because as discussed hitting is dangerous and no one merits an unprovoked beating just because they happen to be large and strong. I just don't find it particularly intellectually stimulating to try and establish hypothetical situations in which I might strike a woman and get applause from onlookers. Is it possible that some ropey, hard core woman could light into me with such ferocity and persistence that I would be forced to reply with a blow? Certainly. Is it LIKELY? Obviously not.

Mr Mystery Guest

Aug 1, 2012
You should act the gentlemen and just take it. Women will always hit men convinced in their self righteousness. If she's hitting you every day tho then you need to get away, better to be alone and you will never have peoples sympathy or the law on your side if you retaliate. If she's coming at you with a knife then that's different and your instinct must be to protect yourself.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Permission statements like "if they hit first, hit back" are how idiots end up in jail. Defend yourself, fine, but you don't need to punch a girl in the face to keep her from hitting you and the cops know that.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
It still holds true; never hit a girl. *Someone* will make a big deal out of it. That someone might be some one who talks about to her about it later or maybe the lady herself who gets the bright idea that women are these fragile creatures who can not deal with being punched. Or someone else might be around who is deadset on pushing women's rights back a few decades.
Here's the thing: never hit anyone if you can help it. You can hit punching bags or a sparring partner or an opponent in certain sports. Feel free to hit someone who is about to mug you or something but always do it with the smallest amount of force necessary to do the job.
If your "Partner" resorts to violence, leave. One can be stressed out and one can flip out but that doesn't happen regularly.

That includes the men as well; personally i find it kinda irritating that if a woman has a black eye everyone gasps in shock but finds it funny when she throws stuff at him. If the man gets hurt, its a tragic accident or it's a case of limp noodle.
To which i actually agree. You can be strong enough to shrug off most violence or fast enough to evade everything but if you're actually ok with having to put your girlfriend in a sleeperhold occasionally then you probably need help dressing yourself. Preferably in a straight jacket in your case. Grow some Balls, if only to break up with your violent lady and have someone who spends less time in crazytown take care of them.

Regarding other violent outbursts of the ladies: Call the police. Not from your cellphone, she or they will attempt to knock it from your hands and will likely succeed since defensive measure where you restrict your hand are at an extreme advantage.
Let her or them call you a wimp or whatever for a while; if you're insecure enough to be bothered by some crazies calling the functionality of your balls into question then you actually do have a chemical imbalance in your brain and your testosterone levels are the least of your problems.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Definitely don't hit a woman. Most girls are smaller with less violent drive and less experience than the average guy. Not really fair. I train in multiple martial arts (might aspire to be a MMA fighter in a couple years) and I'm awkward when I'm occasionally paired up for sparring with a female at my gym. Even if I know she has more experience and can kick my ass, I'm still iffy about it so I hold back. That might be a puppy dog complex, too, since I find most girls at my gym attractive.

But girls are a hell of a lot better at quick thinking during fights. They can get real creative, and if you're slow in the head, they'll pick you apart.

Even if a girl is trying to instigate an attack outside of a gym, I wouldn't strike back. Not being chivalrous here, it would just seem wrong to me.

May 29, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
The same reason it's a generally accepted creed that adults shouldn't hit children. "Oh, but what if the child is unusually large and mighty, and the adult is a dwarf?". It's just not very interesting to go searching for exceptions, and worse still it makes the person doing it sound like a dangerous lunatic.

You don't hit people smaller/weaker than you because A) hitting is dangerous and B) it becomes measurably more dangerous the larger the size/strength disparity between you and your target. If my girlfriend punches me with her little weiner fists and noodle arms, she'd need to get pretty lucky to do damage. I could easily seriously hurt her with a return blow. And I'm not even a particularly huge or martially dangerous man. I just have a significant height/weight advantage.

I went to school with a guy who was a golden gloves boxer. He was held to a different standard than other kids. He wasn't ALLOWED to just blow off steam and have a stupid school fight, and when he did, and the inevitable result occurred, he was arrested. "He started it" didn't stand up as a legal defense, and it shouldn't ever really be justification for battering someone smaller, weaker, or less skilled than yourself.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything in life, and obviously a good motto is just "don't hit period" as opposed to "feel free to cut loose if someone is bigger than you", because as discussed hitting is dangerous and no one merits an unprovoked beating just because they happen to be large and strong. I just don't find it particularly intellectually stimulating to try and establish hypothetical situations in which I might strike a woman and get applause from onlookers. Is it possible that some ropey, hard core woman could light into me with such ferocity and persistence that I would be forced to reply with a blow? Certainly. Is it LIKELY? Obviously not.
"just don't find it particularly intellectually stimulating to try and establish hypothetical situations" couldn't possibly seem more like an excuse if you had neon lights over it. You don't like to consider things that aren't probable? Everything has to be above a threshold before you agree to think about it? Come on.

I'm certain you're really not taking statistics into account properly anyway. All of the men in the world, are on average stronger then all of the women in the world. This is completely correct. Your interpretation of it is completely incorrect.

Yes, you should take the strengths of people into account. But you SPECIFICALLY stated that MEN should not hit WOMEN. DWARFS are also less strong than most people, disabled people pose less of a threat. Why is GENDER such an important distinction? Different people have different levels of strength, and there's a strong difference between categories.

There's a great amount of variation between the peoples of the world. The average height of many countries means that an AVERAGE woman from say america could easily be in a superior position to an AVERAGE man from indonesia, but you're treating it like it's an incredibly rare event. Not even that, you're treating it like it's not worth considering which is just incredibly, fundamentally wrong.

Men and women are categories, but there are DOZENS of categories that influence strength and DOZENS of ways they overlap. Male and female are clearly the most important to you, but you've completely failed to explain why.

Any healthy woman who practises martial arts seriously is in a superior position to a man who doesn't the vast majority of the time. Any seriously injured man is weaker than a healthy woman.There's very clearly a strong image in your head that MEN are stronger than WOMEN, when really PEOPLE are stronger than other PEOPLE.

"Yes there are excetions" the problem is you clearly don't consider the exceptions relevant.

Yes you, as a person are stronger than your girlfriend, and this means that you should react to her threats accordingly, but you're placing completely misplaced relevance on the genitals of the people in this case.

And the fact that you would compare the difference between the difference of an ADULT and a CHILD is genuinely disturbing. Do you ACTUALLY find that's an apt comparison? Adults shouldn't hit children because children aren't capable of decisions that should be taken seriously by law. A 5 year old attacking you is distressing, but you don't keep yourself from hitting him because he's weaker, you keep yourself from hitting him because he's a FUCKING CHILD.

Gorden Springel

Apr 3, 2010
I wouldn't hit a girl, not because I see them as weak and needing protection but because the ones crazy enough to take a swing at me are probably crazy enough to go to the police with some made up bullshit story about how I attacked her first or something even worse, like rape. In this day and age, as a man you need to keep your head down because the world will come down on you so hard and fast it will leave your head spinning, regardless of those crazy notions like 'proof'.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
"just don't find it particularly intellectually stimulating to try and establish hypothetical situations" couldn't possibly seem more like an excuse if you had neon lights over it. You don't like to consider things that aren't probable? Everything has to be above a threshold before you agree to think about it? Come on.

I'm certain you're really not taking statistics into account properly anyway. Yes, you should take the strengths of people into account. But you SPECIFICALLY stated that MEN should not hit WOMEN. DWARFS are also less strong than most people, disabled people pose less of a threat. Why is GENDER such an important distinction? Different people have different levels of strength, and there's a strong difference between categories.

There's a great amount of variation between the peoples of the world. The average height of many countries means that an AVERAGE woman from say america could easily be in a superior position to an AVERAGE man from indonesia, but you're treating it like it's an incredibly rare event. Not even that, you're treating it like it's not worth considering which is just incredibly, fundamentally wrong.

Any healthy woman who practises martial arts seriously is in a superior position to a man who doesn't the vast majority of the time. Any seriously injured man is weaker than a healthy woman. There's very clearly a strong image in your head that MEN are stronger than WOMEN, when really PEOPLE are stronger than other PEOPLE.

Yes you, as a person are stronger than your girlfriend, and this means that you should react to her threats accordingly, but you're placing completely misplaced relevance on the genitals of the people in this case.

And the fact that you would compare the difference between the difference of an ADULT and a CHILD is genuinely disturbing. Do you ACTUALLY find that's an apt comparison? Adults shouldn't hit children because children aren't capable of decisions that should be taken seriously by law. A 5 year old attacking you is distressing, but you don't keep yourself from hitting him because he's weaker, you keep yourself from hitting him because he's a FUCKING CHILD.
Jesus Christ, I don't even know where to begin with this.

But you SPECIFICALLY stated that MEN should not hit WOMEN.
No, I did not. I have no idea who you think you are responding to, but I never "specifically" stated any such thing. I did imply that it is often the case that men are larger/stronger than women, though. Because testosterone. I just spent five seconds on Google to substantiate my suspicion that men are, on the average, larger/heavier than women, just in case I was steeped in cultural mythology, and look at that...they are, universally, across all countries. It's sort of irrelevant though, as what *I* specifically said was "Don't hit ANYONE smaller/weaker than you" and chased it with "Don't hit period".

Any healthy woman who practises martial arts seriously is in a superior position to a man who doesn't the vast majority of the time.
Yep, and this is exactly what I was talking about. This kind of exception hunting is just...so boring. Why are you doing it? Why is it important to you to substantiate that obviously there are circumstances in which you can give some woman the beating she richly deserves? Because she's a martial artist, or maybe a terrorist, or maybe a supervillain who took strength serum and she's trying to murder your child or something. Do you really need the forum's permission to understand that general rules of thumb like "don't hit" obviously won't apply in every single circumstance?

Do you ACTUALLY find that's an apt comparison?
I guess it would be a "disturbing" analogy if the ONLY thing that restrains you from cutting loose with fists o' fury is whether or not someone is "capable of decisions". As opposed to "I could hurt this person, I'd better not". However, you are correct. There are ADDITIONAL reasons to not hit children that I did not specifically clarify. Clearly this means I am a child beater just waiting to erupt! Good thing I'm childless.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Someone takes a swing at me, im gonna swing back. Regardless if your young, old, male or female. Dont care. Maybe a good hard punch to the face will teach them a lesson. No one deserves to punch anyone. An they deserve everything they get.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Don't hit anyone unless your safety depends on it.

Besides, I actively try to avoid conflict. Because not only am I horrible in a fight (going outside? ARE YOU MAD?), I just really do not want to hassle. But if I had to, I'd do it. I would hit them knowing that I'm probably in deep shit after.

And I've actually had my jaw broken by an angry housewife because I tripped on her son's bike. She was definitely highly inebriated. And being slugged by a 40 year old drunk chav with too many kids hurts.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Women? Hit me?

Son, I have long dark hair, a matching beard, rather heavy eyebrows and a scar on my lower lip.

How are they gonna hit me if they don't even dare to come near me?

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
The correct phrase is: never hit a lady.

And of course, as soon as a woman uses unjustified violence against you, she ceases to be a lady and becomes a *****. Then, apply force as needed.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I agree with you OP. I generally want to avoid violence, however if someone hits me then that gives me carte blanche to hit them back if I so desire. Gender is completely irrelevant.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
If ANYONE is even a minor threat to me, I floor them immediately. That's my policy. I don't care if you're male, female, 15 or 80.

Better you than me.

EDIT: Clarification: if I can take them. If I think I can't, I'll do my best to worm my way out of it.