Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Irridium said:
If you really want to be classified as "gamer", I have a handy dandy little chart so you can see what kind of gamer you are.

However thats only if you consider yourself a gamer, instead of simply "someone who play games".
I don't fit any of those.

Maybe nostalgiafag at the most. I do get a bit hoity toity about the lack of 4 player these days.

Anyway, I think the whole gamer thing evolved so other people who plays games (as we now shall all be inevitably shall be known) wanted to let other people who play games know they play games and so then they could sit in one room and play games together. But then it stuck and now it won't go away.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Yyyyyeah, but I think in a lot of ways it's necessary to have some labels on yourself. I mean, you don't have to, but things like "I'm a gamer" help to identify with other people within the bracket. People outside it may hold the stigma, but people inside it will know what you're talking about and may concede to be friends with you.

Most people label themselves regardless of whatever negative connotations there may be, because it's just easier than explaining their personal attributes when a bunch of people will already get the point because of that one word.

For another example, I'm gay, and there are is certainly rather a lot of stigma around that label. But it's still easier than trying to explain to people that I am a human with sexual urges toward other humans contrary to typical breeding procedures and whatnot.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
I agree that "Gamer" does carry some negative publicity to it, but like someone said before me, it will change in time.

However, i strongly disagree with your notion that "games aren´t important" Games are indeed, (At least for me) important. Not as important as school, or my parents or that stuff, but nevertheless, important. However, there is nothing i can say to get you to understand my argument, since my argument isn´t so much an opinion as a feeling.

So we´ll just haveto agree to disagree.

Anyways, you´re going on vacation again. Odd, i thought it was only 1 time last year. *Suspicious look* Just kidding.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
The term is fine, it just doesn't apply to every person who plays video games. For example, I own a motorcycle and ride it occasionally, but I'm not a biker.

Beto Estolano

Aug 6, 2010
This is not the first time a label is created from people who do something and it's addopted by yonger people trying to show himself off.

It happend by the end of the 90s with heavy metal, it's happening now with Nerds, and at the same time there's some kind of Nerd Prestige Classes or Especialization like: "Gamers", "Otakus", "Geek", "Gadgters" whatever.

People look for a label to make themselves feel like someone with something especial, than begin to create new ones, when they think there's too many people already using it.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
I hardly agree with this, regarding someone who calls themselves a gamer in a negative light without actually knowing the person is indicative of a problem with that person, not the name itself. I could just as easily turn this argument around and say the same for anyone who calls themselves a "Critic".

I do agree on the whole "Girl Gamer" thing, though. Really, it's just a phase in identity, women aren't going to call themselves this several years down the line.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
You should open a Mana Bar in the UK, preferably near me, preferably in the North, near Blackburn...I'd go!

Nah if you do at least open one in Manchester

Aug 4, 2009
It's just a word, sure people make stereotypes about it like about many other things, but to my mind it's just something like driver: a person who drives or moviegoer: a person who enjoys movies or pedophile: a person who... you get the picture, it's a word that defines a group, nothing special. There is nothing wrong in beeing called a gamer as long as it's amongst other things, when it's an individual's only trait than yes the stereotype mentioned in the article sadly applies.
Anyway, interesting articele but come on, there's nothing wrong in the word gamer or all those beeing called gamers conforming to the stereotype of "that" guy....sure there is still that view from people who don't play games regarding our little hobby but it's like thinking that everyone who is called a reader of books also beeing a literary fag.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Aeris is a flaky bint. Hell, she was the most boring character in the game. I stand by that steadfast. I never understood the obsession with her.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I agree with what he's saying here. Playing games doesn't define us, it's just what we do. I've stopped referring to myself as a "gamer".

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I don't know why people love labels so much. Its like you imagine there are only six types of people, and you have a biological imperative to conform to one of those six breeds or suffer without an identity and consequently, friends. How about you all graduate high school already?

Here are my labels: a male 5'10''-ish human being. I might get that tattooed on my ass one day.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Completley with Yahtzee

Being with a minority is cool, because you get to act like everyone in the majority should feel guilty and is missing out on something. Case and point : Jews and Arabs. Sure, they've had problems, and their societies and cultures might have drawbacks. But you just feel you're missing out on something pretty cool, if only the languages.

I myself like to big up my Catholic-ness, as does my Mormon mate, and my Baptist mate (together, we are Team Religious Minority at our school)

However, my point (got there eventually) is that Gaming is not an important "minority", or even a real "minority". Beyond staying in and looking at a screen, there is no unifying culture, no history, nothing that would suggest a social or cultural group that differs from mainstream society.

And on top of that, it's not even a "cool" one! Like ZP said, the stereotype is a pretty unappealing one, and what upside is there? You get to act smug? That's nothing! Who ever needed an excuse to be smug!?

Bleh

I'm a human being, and I play video games

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Agree 100%, I never liked the word gamer and this is definitely why. Also Aeris was a plot device with hair.