Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Awwww... NO ZP or XP for a week... im sad...

Sir John the Net Knight said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Wait, are you talking about the same Aeris/Aerith as Yahtzee? She must be the most unimportant character in any game I ever seen. Hell they killed her off for a reason...

Also he said he wasnt going to have a XP next week, so you'll have to wait two weeks for he response (if he feels you are deserving of one.)

Gamegeneral

Dec 3, 2008
If I said we need a better word, I'd just be applying the same logic of what happened to "Gamer" as you described to whatever word I switch to.
So basically you think a change of mind can be helped along by a change in terminology?
Interesting enough to warrant a try.
I guess from now on, I'm not a "Gamer", I'm a guy who plays games.
Or, to save time, I won't describe myself in an "I'm a [blank]" Format. I'll just say "I play games."
Night.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I disagree.

People should be able to identify however they please. If they want to identify as a "gamer", go ahead. It sounds a little odd to me, but that's just my personal view. Besides, just because a stereotype emerges around a label doesn't mean that people shouldn't identify by the label.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder. When he isn't talking very fast into a headset mic he also designs freeware adventure games and writes the back page column for PC Gamer, who are too important to mention us. His personal site is www.fullyramblomatic.com.

Read Full Article
If you can't convince the Escapist editors of your cause and get them to change your bio, then what hope do you have for the rest of the community?

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
It is just like every other label, people associate it with a certain group, normally a negative relationship and then that is all they see.

I normally hate the term 'nerd' because people automatically think of white pasty kids in the basement playing DnD or people who wear pocket protectors, when in reality people are 'nerdy' about a lot of different things. Men can be nerdy about cars, or sports, women can be nerdy about shoes or collectible horse figurines, etc. but at the end of the day it is used to represent a stereotype of someone who has no social skills and is bad with women.

I hate the term gamer because of the people who use it mostly, but I guess I tend to dislike groups of people who need to feel included in stuff. I normally say I'm a 'fan of' books, games, poetry, music, etc. or just simply, I like to do this or that. It is less defining, and makes people think, hey that person is very varied.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Interesting thought, because I'll be attending PAX in Seattle next week; one of only two times I'll claim having had the ability to dip my foot in the Pacific Ocean, but my point is that I'll be among thousands of people who gather for the sole reason to be proud that they're "a gamer".

Further criticism could be leveled at the term simply because of the fact that being "a gamer" still says very little about what you are, and simply going to PAX this past March proved that to me like nothing other. Are you a sports games fan? Do you enjoy FPS? JRPG? WRPG? etc. etc. Are you someone who jumps at every new gaming system and technology, or do you still hunker down with the NES on occasion to play some Dr. Mario? Hell, what about tabletop games, board games, and P&P RPG?

This reminds me of my last girlfriend, to be honest. She is "a gamer", too, and it was one of the bases on why we got together, yet in the end we found very little common ground on what kind of games we enjoyed. I play a veritable hodgepodge of stuff, and usually the more obscure and "arty" the better for me, but I still imagined I played enough of a range that we could find something we enjoyed together. Welllll guess what: she enjoys WRPGs, simulations (like THE SIMS *thunderclap* and Tropico), and D&D, and very little else. All three of those genres I was very loosely attached to, so sadly, there was a nice little roadblock in our relationship. Plenty of other reasons why we didn't work out, of course, but a lack of being able to play together often did not help.

So it always leads me to caution when I go to these large conventions about the kind of genres these people enjoy, and wondering if being "a gamer" is really all we need to define ourselves as having camaraderie. We may be shooting ourselves in the foot with such a collective label, tearing ourselves apart from the inside, and we may not even need people on "the outside" to bring us down.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
I hope this doesn't make me one of these people, but I thought it was Aeris in the European version and Aerith in the American version. But I've no idea why this happened, if indeed it is what happened.

Right I'm off to drink beer, play sports and have sex with women.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
ilovemyLunchbox said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Aeris is a flaky bint. Hell, she was the most boring character in the game. I stand by that steadfast. I never understood the obsession with her.
And the opinion of "random internet troll" is worth about 0.0001% the value of Yahtzee's. So why are you even bothering to vomit it on me?

In the words of the late, great W.C. Fields, "Go away son, you bother me."
Instead of dismissing me as a troll, would you care to get off your high horse and support your protest against Aeris' character? She is the only character who I can barely even remember speaking to beyond Midgar. Everyone else has a more vivid image in my mind. Even Vincent was more interesting.

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
Sansha said:
And yes, 'girl gamer' is the worst. As if it's something special to be a female who plays video games. The smart girls I know on the intertubes disguise their gender to simply get along with the game, rather than be bombarded with unwanted attention.
I don't generally use the term 'gamer' and I'm not overly fond of 'girl gamer' (although I am a woman), but in terms of game design and marketing I think it's worthwhile for the industry to know that there are women out there playing games, and not just Farmville and Bejeweled. Even something as simple as having female characters available in games like Mass Effect, Left4Dead and Borderlands (and realistic ones, not underdressed DDDD-cup wonders) makes me sit up, take notice and *buy*. If we all meekly hid and forever pretended we were guys, maybe those kinds of shifts wouldn't have occurred.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Oi, I keep forgetting that disagreement with Yahtzee brings about the swarming of his fanboys. You know the ones who make accounts here, poison the forums with parroting of Yahtzee's vitriol as well as constant espousal of their man crush on him. Then generally they leave, get banned or move on to off-topic to make other types of useless or insulting threads. Thanks, Yahtzee Fanboys! You make The Escapist a much less enjoyable place to be.
Calm down, son. You're going to give yourself skin failure. Take a step back and think about whether disliking your opinion automatically means we agree 100% with Yahtzee's opinion. Maybe we disagree with both of you.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
hoov said:
I hope this doesn't make me one of these people, but I thought it was Aeris in the European version and Aerith in the American version. But I've no idea why this happened, if indeed it is what happened.

Right I'm off to drink beer, play sports and have sex with women.
Haha, it's okay. What actually happened was there was a mistranslation, and the first edition of FF7 was distributed with "Aeris." In later editions and forms of the game, it was corrected to Aerith. Technically, Aerith is right, but to those of us who have been playing since the game first came out know her as Aeris. If Miyamoto came out and said Link's real name was Rink, do you think EVERYONE would go along with it?

BunJ

Jul 26, 2009

He really got under your skin didn't he?

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Ne1butme said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder. When he isn't talking very fast into a headset mic he also designs freeware adventure games and writes the back page column for PC Gamer, who are too important to mention us. His personal site is www.fullyramblomatic.com.

Read Full Article
If you can't convince the Escapist editors of your cause and get them to change your bio, then what hope do you have for the rest of the community?
Oh, snap. Quoted for god damn truth.