Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

ggamer2

May 18, 2010
I Hope you have a good rest on your short 'leave'. Actually I take my leave next week so I guess I have good (or very bad) timing.
Also can normal people drink coffee from Starcraft II mugs?

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
wow i would fancy sutch a pub nearby, would be kewl, but it would have to have a n64 with mario party loaded up.. would be awesome.. : D

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
*Checks 'Mana bar' website for something to do*

*Smiles sweetly*

*Apologises if this has been done before on the 12 pages he only read 3 or 4 of*

RadicalPaine

Jul 5, 2010
bah, wether your call yourself a gamer or not really doesnt matter.
the fact that you (like me) is actually reading this and writing a comment makes you a part of the old lovely group of people referred to as NERDS.
yesisaiditNERDS!
i dont see why people invent new fancy words like "Gamer" (it's even a movie title no?) or "girl gamers", or even "twilighters" because its all the good old same group of people!
the only difference is, that half of us dont feel ashamed of being nerds, while the other half is standing in the closet with their proverbial DICK in their hands going "mommy no one wants to see me for what i AM!!"
jump out of the closet you horrible nerds, and accept your fate. you wouldnt survive the zombie apocalypse anyway (#1: Cardio cardio cardio).

my point is, it doesnt MATTER whatever you call yourselves. go on and name yourselves jocks or robot cokkie monsters for all i care. doesnt change the fact that you (and I) are NERDS!

AAAAAAAAAH!

*rant ended*

mololabo

Feb 22, 2009
Thanks Yathzee for saying some things, that were on my mind for quite some time.

And enjoy your holidays. :)

There's not really much more i need or want to say. Enjoy your time.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
stinkychops said:
derelix said:
tryx3 said:
derelix said:
god I love this. I use to be one of the immature idiots that thought gaming was something special. something very satisfying about reading the rants of an educated yet cynical guy who was sucked into the idiotic world of "gaming"
The funny thing is now people will talk about gamers and girl gamers like they agreed with this all along, yet most of them are just blindly agreeing because they read it here. Hipster culture for you.
When you really look at it all for what it truly is, games, movies, television are just things that play on boxes that emit eye damaging light. I don't understand how people don't see this, it's like showing a monkey pictures of happy monkeys to make that monkey feel happy (sitcoms with laugh tracks or comedies without) or showing a monkey a video of a sad monkey having problems to make the monkey feel sad. Video games are just a diluted version of that for the next generation.
Successful troll is successful? Or sad person is sad?

Games are fun. I don't think anyone thinks they're some amazing thing that no one else in the world has experienced. "Try it mann it's cool." Or maybe a bit sadistic? You assume because people agree with something written, they didn't think that before. Theres an agree and disagree side of this argument 50/50 chance you end up on either side. Also, this for you.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sheeple.png

And another thing, people who play games aren't hipsters. Far far from it.
That last bit was pretty funny. Yeah man gamers are totally not hipsters, your like....rebels.[footnote]Who actually thinks gaming is rebellious? I imagine you have some issues with the real world/trolls that you're projecting onto other people. Deal with your own problems.[/footnote]
God I'm glad this is text based conversation, i would never be able to say that with a straight face. I love that comic btw, but at least I'm aware of what I am. You on the other hand seem to think your above all of it.
I'm a cynical sarcastic annoyance, I'm ok with that. Your a less amusing annoyance, you seem to think your hobby is somehow important. You want to talk about sad?
You amuse yourself? Otherwise you have no ability to judge how amusing someone is comparitive to yourself. If this is true, why don't you go and tell yourself some jokes in the corner and let everyone else enjoy themselves.

Just because you played games and grew out of them does not mean they are something to be grown out of.

An analogy may help YOU understand this. I wear size 12 sneakers. A friend of mine wears size 10 sneakers. I grew out of his sneakers. This does not make me better than him, it makes me different.

You accept yourself for what you are? Awesome. I don't think I'm a gamer. I also try not to be a cynical sarcastic piece of shit. Not because its any worse than being anything else. That would be subjective. Simply because it allows me to enjoy myself. I don't live my life to understand it, I live it to live it.

If you somehow think your revelation (which is really just a smug generalisation) makes you superior then you have a lot of growing to do.
Wait wait wait wait. What is this flame hole about? One dude expreses a view, and then 2 more people have to bash him for it? Its not like derelix was attacking something; he's merely viewing gaming through simpler lens (quite sharply and rudely, at that). That was HIS observation, from HIS perspective on the situation (most likely exaggerated). Its not stated that games arent 'fun', and for that matter, if you're on these forums, youre most likely 'someone who plays games'. There's no need to defend your pasttime by attacking him.

Getting on topic, the 2 offenders are pretty classic examples of what Yahtzee JUST wrote about.

Flankhard

Mar 28, 2010
People should realy learn more about colors. They keep calling it blue, when it realy is indigo. The reason I have been thinking about this is because I have this indigo colored car I'm trying to sell...

See what I did there.. I just pulled a random topic out of my arse to promote a car sale. I know - I'm a cynic, and somebody should prolly slap me.

If you realy want the word "gamer" to loose it's meaning tho, just get everybody to repeat it until it looses it's meaning: -Gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gaymar, graymar, gammar...

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
This reminds me of the wait before the release of Wrath of the Lich King.

We and some other people were talkign about the game, and other stuff. I do not really recall waht we were talking about, but suddenly this one guy in the group calls all of us out for being nerds as he put it. To which my reaction was: 'You are in line for Wrath of the Lich King, on its midnight release, and you call ME a nerd?'

That is basically what I feel all the people that comment about other gamers/nerds are.

In the end there are degrees of being a 'nerd' and if your 'nerd' doesn't fit with my 'nerd' then one is going to call the other one out for bing a nerd... which is liek the kettel callign the pot black.

Gsmoove

May 24, 2010
this article only encourages more hate, the word gamer could mean solidarity because it doesn't matter that you have a "normal" life you still have a strong interest in video games and guess what a negative response is still associated with.

It's this sort of elitism among the people here that just drives me insane. Yahtzee should write articles to improve the gaming community, not divide over something so trivial and stupid, I guess he just wanted to distract us from the fact he's taking a week off.

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
In a separate post, I will clarify -my- point of view on this.

Another person in this threat pointed out that he owns a motorcycle, and rides it sometimes, though he isn't a biker. Now, there ARE bikers out there. To them, it's more than just a hobby or a "thing you do sometimes"; It's a lifestyle. I think this applies to "gamers" also. Your peggle playing step-mom isn't a gamer. Your friend who unwinds with a beer and Madden 2010 isn't a gamer. However, the guy next door who spends his time in forums debating class mechanics on Elitistjerks.com, listening to Anamanaguchi or playing Mega Man X for the fiftieth time might be.

Not all gamers are fat, neckbeared basement dwellers. That's simply a stereotype. I think there is plenty of merit in describing a "Gamer" or "Gaming culture", but as with any subculture there will be stereotypes and predispositions associated with it. Get used to it.

Many people see movie critics (and game critics *ahem*) as pretentious snobs.

Sorry guys, you're going to need to get used to being grouped with undesirables. There are few things in life that you can associate yourself with and not be judged negatively.

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
"this article only encourages more hate, the word gamer could mean solidarity because it doesn't matter that you have a "normal" life you still have a strong interest in video games and guess what a negative response is still associated with.

It's this sort of elitism among the people here that just drives me insane. Yahtzee should write articles to improve the gaming community, not divide over something so trivial and stupid, I guess he just wanted to distract us from the fact he's taking a week off."

This.

rapa-nui

Jun 5, 2007
Dear Yahtzee,

In the United States, people who read are sometimes called "readers". I understand in the rest of the civilized world they are simply called "people" which is why you might make this mistake.

Sincerely,
Rapa-Nui

Gsmoove

May 24, 2010
I can see what Yahtzee's trying to do here, but the use of the word gamer isn't a problem and despite what he says, Ben Croshaw is a gamer and when you:

-Make your living from video games.
-Play a new video game, every week.
-Open a bar, that's inspired by video games.
-Wrote a book, inspired by a video game.
-Made a TV pilot, that was a video game show.
-Occasionally appears on a podcast about video games.
-Was a keynote speaker at a conference about video games.

Then you are more than a guy who plays video games, don't try to separate yourself from the nerd in the basement because you two most likely have the same amount passion. Don't try to deny it, be proud of it, besides there wasn't a secret meeting that decided that we're all gamers.

I know he won't read this but it had to be said.