Doom Eternal Update 1 adds Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Is a post-launch inclusion of a ring 0 anti-cheat software a significant change to the game?

• Yes

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
It also demands I update my graphics card driver all of a sudden but when I run the installer on nvidia it fails to install. So suddenly I can't play a game that worked fine. :(

Edit: Oh I managed to update the driver in the end, I dunno if running it as admin or restarting it was what fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
This guy's got the right idea.

Haha, god damnit...

"Ya'll look like a bunch of Karen's holding up the line at the fucking Walmart bitching and moaning because your $0.50 coupon didn't scan at the register."

"I just play the motherfucking game and that's that."

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Denuvo update.jpg

They broke the game for many people to prevent cheating in the multiplayer in a game which I heard according to achievements only 3% of people have actually even played 25 matches in the multiplayer portion. Because nobody cares about DOOM multiplayer....

According to some people performance is down.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They broke the game for many people to prevent cheating in the multiplayer in a game which I heard according to achievements only 3% of people have actually even played 25 matches in the multiplayer portion. Because nobody cares about DOOM multiplayer....

According to some people performance is down.
The game still runs great and the multi-plays better now, so I think they are just full of shit.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I don't trust people when it comes to denuvo. There is so much contradictory info about their drm and this is just anti-cheat, but since it has the name denuvo people will freak the fuck out about it.
Well I can say anecdotally since I started playing again I noticed a drop in frames, an audio glitch with sound quickly cutting in and out like a broken microphone, some fodder demons without textures and a weird glitch where there visually appears to be some sort of grey 'walls' and a grey 'ceiling' with no texture which I and everything else can pass through without issue but block my sight. That last glitch goes away with restarts but would be awful for an ultra nightmare run. And I've only played a few hours since the patch.

Remember that unlike consoles PC's are all different with different hardware and different software. What breaks my version of the game running on my computer might never bother yours at all.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't trust people when it comes to denuvo. There is so much contradictory info about their drm and this is just anti-cheat, but since it has the name denuvo people will freak the fuck out about it.
In so much as I agree that Gamers can be practically Pavlovian in their reactions when it comes to certain things, Denuvo has proven to be more often than not an invasive pain in the prostate that fucks with otherwise carefully calibrated and setup PCs. And I agree with what was said earlier in the thread: kernel level access is a flaming red flag for an anti-cheat system.

Reactions: Bernzz

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Anecdotal evidence with a sample size of 1! Let's publish it.
Because almost all the freaking the fuck out about this is all anecdotal also, so frak off. I mean you can't even prove that the people saying its crashing their machines aren't just the cheaters that are mad they have to rebuy cheat programs.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, I know, this is them adding the anti-cheat software. But gamers are reactionary and freaked out just by seeing the word 'denuvo.'
But is it actually reactionary when people are actually being affected from the addition?

In that article itself, Bethesda and Denuvo acknowledges that there could be some issues with performance and the anti-cheat program, and their solution is simply to remove it. Which caused the non-playable issue that FennecZephyr brought up.

Also, we're talking about a company who has released some form of it's anti cheat and/or drm that has harmed the performance of several different games for years.

I don't mind anti-cheat. In fact, cheaters are a big part of why I don't game online any more. But Denuvo has never been a good deal, and I get why people are upset about it.

Denuvo is like that really jerky guy in your neighborhood who ruins your good time with his rules on how to play the game because he has to win and he has to be in control... but your mom makes you play with him because she's friends with his mother.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
But is it actually reactionary when people are actually being affected from the addition?
The problem with that article is that the only point it makes is that its being detected as malware, but false positives are a thing. I've gotten plenty of them in my long history of gaming, I had a patch in Planetside 2 that made my anti-virus start freaking out and it actually prevented me from playing the game till I changed to an anti-virus that let me exclude the file. Getting false positives with game files is way more common then most people think.

In that article itself, Bethesda and Denuvo acknowledges that there could be some issues with performance and the anti-cheat program, and their solution is simply to remove it. Which caused the non-playable issue that FennecZephyr brought up.
They have said you can just uninstall it and play the single player game portion fine and its only really used for the multi mode.

Also, we're talking about a company who has released some form of it's anti cheat and/or drm that has harmed the performance of several different games for years.

I don't mind anti-cheat. In fact, cheaters are a big part of why I don't game online any more. But Denuvo has never been a good deal, and I get why people are upset about it.

Denuvo is like that really jerky guy in your neighborhood who ruins your good time with his rules on how to play the game because he has to win and he has to be in control... but your mom makes you play with him because she's friends with his mother.
I completely understand why people don't like the drm for it, although I think all the reports of it really causing issues are overblown. I'm sure some people have problems but a lot of people are also just looking for problems if they see it and suddenly noticing things they normally wouldn't. If you think something is causing a problem, you can always find evidence that its causing that problem, it might not be true evidence but you can always find it.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The problem with that article is that the only point it makes is that its being detected as malware, but false positives are a thing. I've gotten plenty of them in my long history of gaming, I had a patch in Planetside 2 that made my anti-virus start freaking out and it actually prevented me from playing the game till I changed to an anti-virus that let me exclude the file. Getting false positives with game files is way more common then most people think.

They have said you can just uninstall it and play the single player game portion fine and its only really used for the multi mode.
The last paragraph actually delves into how some players are now experiencing a Denuvo-esque Doom Eternal.

Bethesda and Denuvo claim that players who experience poor game performance can simply uninstall the program but players report that every time they remove it, the Denuvo anti-cheat tries to install again and when rejected, the game simply won't start.
I completely understand why people don't like the drm for it, although I think all the reports of it really causing issues are overblown. I'm sure some people have problems but a lot of people are also just looking for problems if they see it and suddenly noticing things they normally wouldn't. If you think something is causing a problem, you can always find evidence that its causing that problem, it might not be true evidence but you can always find it.

I was going to post others, but I've seen people have posted some already.

Look. I am actually very glad your experience hasn't been marred. Others have been. Some just said. Some documented. This is not a solution that works for everyone, so those others have reason to complain. If I hear outcry that a much maligned in the past product has been added to something I was interested in, and it has harmed existing customers' enjoyment, I'm going to have trepidations. There's nothing wrong with that.

I do weigh your sentiment as well. Because I actually known and seen your thoughts of things before. And everything has bias to it. Your comments, these other people's comments. I will stack both together, flawless gameplay with the flawed gameplay, and decide what I'll do in the future.

But hey, I'm going to get it on the Switch (because I get everything on the Switch as it's the best thing that has ever happened to gaming in my mind as I OWN MY GAMES AGAIN). I've already settled on having the worst possible way of playing this game. I just understand that if the experience was smooth before and now this addition has made it worse for those people... I understand that anger.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I do weigh your sentiment as well. Because I actually known and seen your thoughts of things before. And everything has bias to it. Your comments, these other people's comments. I will stack both together, flawless gameplay with the flawed gameplay, and decide what I'll do in the future.
I know how you tend to approach things as well so I don't automatically assume you are just jumping on a reactionary bandwagon and will give you full consideration.

The problem I have is that gamers have an immediate and visceral reaction to seeing denuvo, to the point where it doesn't matter if it does actually do nothing bad, they will assume any bad is caused by it. Like performance will always be brought up if its there but we have plenty of tests showing that performance impact is negligible at best.

Could it still have a performance impact? Sure, I suppose, there are way too many possible hardware combinations to be 100% sure that on some there isn't a noticeable impact. I'm not a fan of DRM in general, aside from steam since it actually gives a lot of functionality to the consumer instead of just sitting there demanding of the consumer, but Doom Eternal needed an anti-cheat solution on it. Pretty much anything they added would have yielded grumbling, this just has the denuvo name on it so people assume its the denuvo drm and go rabid. You can even see that in some of the replies in this thread.

So, I need to see that its really causing issues from a really good source before I back the narrative that its a really bad thing, because there is so much hostility already to the denuvo name that I can't take random users words for it, because at best they will just assume its the denuvo and not some other issue.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
The problem I have is that gamers have an immediate and visceral reaction to seeing denuvo, to the point where it doesn't matter if it does actually do nothing bad, they will assume any bad is caused by it.
And your solution to this grave injustice is... to be just as reactionary in the opposite direction? Two wrongs make a right?

Hmm. Quite enlightened.

Reactions: Bernzz