Doom Eternal Update 1 adds Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Is a post-launch inclusion of a ring 0 anti-cheat software a significant change to the game?

• Yes

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And your solution to this grave injustice is... to be just as reactionary in the opposite direction? Two wrongs make a right?

Hmm. Quite enlightened.
Demanding good evidence isn't reactionary.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, you already played your hand when you said:

So it's not just that you're unconvinced and awaiting decisive evidence, you came into this topic with a bias.
Of course I came to this topic with a bias, everyone has a bias. My bias is being annoyed at people for hating something that doesn't necessarily deserve the hate for the reasons its hated. Look at Windows Vista, its probably one of the more hated Microsoft Operating systems, what most people don't know is that pretty much all the issues it had were resolved pretty quick and by the end it was actually almost just slightly different windows 7, but because of that bad first impression everyone just assumed it was shit forever.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Of course I came to this topic with a bias, everyone has a bias
I think Ewok is just saying that you're being as reactionary as you accuse gamers as being, due to your biases, that's all.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think Ewok is just saying that you're being as reactionary as you accuse gamers as being, due to your biases, that's all.
Yeah, in some ways I am, cause I really get tired of people running off half-cocked about some perceived horrible injustice when they just assume it is. As I said before, it sounds like a lot of people don't even know this is an anti-cheat thing, they appear to be assuming this is the DRM being added when the game actually launched with the DRM already. You have people claiming crashing or performance issues but again, right now thats just anacdotal, my own anicdotes say the opposite, its running fine, haven't had any crashes. I mean I suppose I might be taking a performance hit, I do have the fps limited to 144.

Reactions: ObsidianJones

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I know how you tend to approach things as well so I don't automatically assume you are just jumping on a reactionary bandwagon and will give you full consideration.

The problem I have is that gamers have an immediate and visceral reaction to seeing denuvo, to the point where it doesn't matter if it does actually do nothing bad, they will assume any bad is caused by it. Like performance will always be brought up if its there but we have plenty of tests showing that performance impact is negligible at best.

Could it still have a performance impact? Sure, I suppose, there are way too many possible hardware combinations to be 100% sure that on some there isn't a noticeable impact. I'm not a fan of DRM in general, aside from steam since it actually gives a lot of functionality to the consumer instead of just sitting there demanding of the consumer, but Doom Eternal needed an anti-cheat solution on it. Pretty much anything they added would have yielded grumbling, this just has the denuvo name on it so people assume its the denuvo drm and go rabid. You can even see that in some of the replies in this thread.

So, I need to see that its really causing issues from a really good source before I back the narrative that its a really bad thing, because there is so much hostility already to the denuvo name that I can't take random users words for it, because at best they will just assume its the denuvo and not some other issue.
You see, this is how discussion needs to be in the future. I don't a hundred percent agree with your mind set, but I know you're coming from a position of someone who's playing it and has nothing but glowing things to say about it. It causes me to amend my position somewhat. I'll always admit being on the Denuvo hate train myself, but I'm now going to keep myself open for possibilities of being surprised.

Again, I stopped gaming on my computer as it is other than RTS's. I was thinking about getting Doom Eternal before on all of my platforms (PC, PS4, and the Switch), and I'll continue to do so.

*Fist Bump* Handling It Like Gentlemen.

~edit, I meant to like the comment I quoted, but I had a misclick... so that'll do.

Reactions: Worgen

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You see, this is how discussion needs to be in the future. I don't a hundred percent agree with your mind set, but I know you're coming from a position of someone who's playing it and has nothing but glowing things to say about it. It causes me to amend my position somewhat. I'll always admit being on the Denuvo hate train myself, but I'm now going to keep myself open for possibilities of being surprised.
Well, I don't know about just glowing things to say, like I don't like denuvo on principle since I would prefer not to have any drm on my games (aside from steam since it gives me enough functionality to be like "sure ok") if for nothing else then more of a feeling of ownership, but from everything I have seen, a lot of the hate and excuses for that hate that denuvo gets are overblown. I am of the mindset that you can hate but you have to have a reason for that hate, and a lot of the hate I see for denuvo is remnants from back in the day when drm schemes were much more insidious and did really cause a lot of problems, I really do think that a lot of it is a continuation from back in those days when DRM was a 4 letter slur.

Again, I stopped gaming on my computer as it is other than RTS's. I was thinking about getting Doom Eternal before on all of my platforms (PC, PS4, and the Switch), and I'll continue to do so.
If you ever feel like getting back into the PC let me know and I'll be happy to recommend some stuff you probably can't find on consoles. I was thinking about this and it occurs to me that a lot of the games I would probably recommend are indie ones that would work more the fine on console and are probably there already, but I can still find some gems that probably haven't been ported.

*Fist Bump* Handling It Like Gentlemen.
*Fist Bump* Being a solid dude.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
As much as some will complain about people complaining, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Reactions: Bernzz

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Looks like they will be removing the denuvo.
We did it! What else can we do?

Can we get microtransactions removed? Can we go back to actually owning games, instead of just licensing them? The possibilities are endless!

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
All software is licensed. Always was.
Depends very much on your country and its laws. I own most of the software i have. But i am not in a Common Law region.

And in the country where i was born and which admittandly has ceased to exist decades ago, no one owned software because programs where considered algorithms and treated as all the calculation methods in math. Nothing that could be intellectual property.

But if you want to own your games again, that is a political/legislative issue. You have to convince your politicians, not the publishers.

Last edited: