Doom switch edition is out

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I was gonna type something facetious about the Switch being a kiddy console because Nintendo ("Does the gun shoot bunnies? Do they cuddle the monsters to death?") but fuck it, I'm glad to hear it's getting some variety.
i think we have past that. i mean, doom, next week Skyrim, LA noire, Wolfenstein II, darkest dungeon, payday 2, resident evil revelation... that prove that there enough variety for everyone in line...
Yeah but with the exception of maybe a couple of games it feels like Switch is only getting ports from one or two generations ago.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I was going to try to justify getting this on PS4 for cheaper this year, but I'm sick of FPSs. I feel like the graphics are only noticeable better on a decent gaming PC, which I don't have. I will probably wait until I have a Switch, so it doesn't hog the TV. Or just never play it at all.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
wanting to play games on the go atuomatically makes you desperate now somehow.

you keep telling youself that if it makes you feel better just because you have a slightly prettier picture on your system. XD
Did I say you're automatically desperate if you want to play on the go? No I didn't. I said that if you desperately value it, as in, only wanting to play handheld and never opting for sitting infront of a TV screen/monitor.
good thing most Nintendo Switch owners generally use both handheld and TV features then isn't it?
Hence why one would need to desperately value the handheld function if they pay for a more expensive and more inferior version of third-party games.
Because we value both handheld and sitting in front of a tv. I guess everybody that bought a switch probably have their own personal reason to do it. Sure, I could get a ps4, but I don?t have the money to get both. Most of ps4/Xbox games I can get on my pc anyway. But my pc is old and graphically, games look shitty, but are still playable. However, I.m married and I have two kids. I don?t have control over the tv most of the time. However I think it?s very antisocial to go in the basement to go play games while everyone else is upstairs. Plus I often have very little time to game, because my kids need something or I have something to do in the house.

With the switch, not only i can play with it without using the tv, but people that never tried it don?t r?alis? what on the go mean. The system is made to be turn on and off at any moment. So I can start to play, play for 6 minutes, stop playing because my kids need something, pick it back exeactly where I left, play 10 minutes more, stop to prepare the food, then pick it back again later. I play maybe 2 hours on a Saturday before the kids go to bed, but that two hour is spread over many session. That would be impossible on a ps4, unless I left it on all day long.

So now I have the choice to either get a game like Doom or Skyrim On my pc, but having to play mostly at night and less often, or pay a little more and get them on the switch, but having the possibility to play more with it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
wanting to play games on the go atuomatically makes you desperate now somehow.

you keep telling youself that if it makes you feel better just because you have a slightly prettier picture on your system. XD
Did I say you're automatically desperate if you want to play on the go? No I didn't. I said that if you desperately value it, as in, only wanting to play handheld and never opting for sitting infront of a TV screen/monitor.
good thing most Nintendo Switch owners generally use both handheld and TV features then isn't it?
Hence why one would need to desperately value the handheld function if they pay for a more expensive and more inferior version of third-party games.
inferior version?

more like the superior version unless you're "desperate" as you say, to sacrifice portabilty just to only have a SLIGHTLY prettier picture on your TV.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
cathou said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I was gonna type something facetious about the Switch being a kiddy console because Nintendo ("Does the gun shoot bunnies? Do they cuddle the monsters to death?") but fuck it, I'm glad to hear it's getting some variety.
i think we have past that. i mean, doom, next week Skyrim, LA noire, Wolfenstein II, darkest dungeon, payday 2, resident evil revelation... that prove that there enough variety for everyone in line...
Yeah but with the exception of maybe a couple of games it feels like Switch is only getting ports from one or two generations ago.
both Namco Bandai and Capcom have already said that they are going to be giving the Switch more support by both releasing new and exclusive games to the Switch in 2018

https://www.destructoid.com/bandai-...-including-three-exclusive-games-471406.phtml

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ed_support_and_ace_attorney_to_switch_in_2018

just because you haven't seen them yet doesn't mean they aren't being worked on. and like i've already said a few times this year, the more that Switch keeps getting sales, the more 3rd Party support it will get and continue to keep growing and so far i haven't been proven wrong about this.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Wolfenstein II also only came out a couple of weeks ago.
Same engine as Doom 4. Same optimizations. (Well, mostly.) Doesn't count.
and yet people like Johnny Novgorod over here kept bragging about how Switch wasn't ever going to get "Current" gen titles like Wolfenstein II and such to me earlier this year back in about June i think it was.

It's funny how now that Wolfenstein II has been announced to also be released on Switch as well as the PS4 and Xbox One, suddenly it "doesn't count" as a Current Gen title anymore to people on the escapist. LOL.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
and yet people like Johnny Novgorod over here kept bragging about how Switch wasn't ever going to get "Current" gen titles like Wolfenstein II and such to me earlier this year back in about June i think it was.
I don't care what Johnny said because I didn't say that. I said I think the only reason the Switch can get away with running Doom 4 at all is that idTech 6 is hella optimized. All the other third party games I'm seeing for it are all last gen.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yoshi178 said:
I don't care what Johnny said because I didn't say that.
Me neither, dude has a habit of twisting words around.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yoshi178 said:
I don't care what Johnny said because I didn't say that.
Me neither, dude has a habit of twisting words around.
oh really?

what's this then? oh and my mistake it was July, not June that you said exactly this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...4-7-Million-units-to-date?page=2#comment_form

Johnny Novgorod said:
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm mainly asking if Nintendo has ever promised 3rd-party support to where they say you will be able to play basically all multiplats on our system like PC/Xbone/PS4. Sure they always say devs are interested in the system and the do get ports of older games like a Batman Arkham City or Skyrim. But Nintendo has yet to promise their system could ever be a primary gaming platform like the other platforms can be.
A little before launch a corporate press release from Nintendo provided this image:

A couple of months in, this is the reality:

No Anthem
No Assassins Creed Origins
No Call of Duty WW2
No Destiny 2
No Dishonored
No Far Cry 5
No Kingdom Hearts 3
No Life is Strange 2
No Middle Earth Shadow of War
No Monster Hunter World
No Need for Speed Payback
No Ni no Kuni 2
No Red Dead Redemption 2
No South Park Fractured But Whole
No Star Wars Battlefront 2
No The Evil Within 2
No Wolfenstein 2
And so on

In summary, never believe Nintendo when they tell you they're totally going to get 3rd party support.
In hindsight it should be obvious: the Switch is underpowered by one or two generations. No fucking way the devs want any part in it. I suspect their "support" boils down to porting 7th gen games like Skyrim rather than keeping the Switch stocked with current-gen games. So once more Nintendo is cornered into their teeny neck of the woods with a novelty gimmick, a single killer app (that is available on a previous console anyway) and marketing stunts like limited edition crap and artifitial scarcity scalper fodder.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
Yoshi178 said:
I don't care what Johnny said because I didn't say that. I said I think the only reason the Switch can get away with running Doom 4 at all is that idTech 6 is hella optimized. All the other third party games I'm seeing for it are all last gen.
Pretty sure games like Rocket League, Sonic Forces, WWE 2k18 and Fifa 18 are all current generation games.

but i'm sure you'll make up some excuse as to why those don't count too...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I thought this was a Doom thread, not another Switch thread?

Naldan said:
Yeah, but the music still is mediocre.
Oi!

People can rag on Doom 2016 all they want as far as I'm concerned, but the music is one of the best parts of the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
inferior version?

more like the superior version unless you're "desperate" as you say, to sacrifice portabilty just to only have a SLIGHTLY prettier picture on your TV.
Yes, it's the superior version, because... it's....... portable? Who needs better picture, better framerate, better sound, and better controls (the joycons have pin needles for buttons) for a lower price when you have portability.

Look, the Switch is nice for whatever exclussives it'll get, but for any multiplatform game you're paying more for something that is worse from a technical standpoint. If these games were cheaper on the Switch than they are on the PC/PS4/Xbone you could have a good deal, but they're not, they're more expensive.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
I think the only reason the Switch can get away with running Doom 4 at all is that idTech 6 is hella optimized. All the other third party games I'm seeing for it are all last gen.
There's also Sonic Forces, say what you will about the game itself, but the Switch port is basically the same as the other versions (outside of, like Doom, a halved framerate).

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Yes, it's the superior version, because... it's....... portable? Who needs better picture, better framerate, better sound, and better controls (the joycons have pin needles for buttons) for a lower price when you have portability.

Look, the Switch is nice for whatever exclussives it'll get, but for any multiplatform game you're paying more for something that is worse from a technical standpoint. If these games were cheaper on the Switch than they are on the PC/PS4/Xbone you could have a good deal, but they're not, they're more expensive.
It's all a matter of perspective, honestly. On one hand, you have the graphically, and PS4, Xbox, and PC versions, and their better visuals and framerate. On the other hand, you have the Switch port, which trades them for portability. Some would prefer one, others would prefer the other. Either way, gotta admit that it's impressive that Doom was downported to the Switch at all, and, all things considered, aside from it's 30 FPS lock & lower visuals, it's a pretty good port for what they were working with.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
inferior version?

better controls? pretty sure the Switch Pro Controller exists and plays games just fine.

have fun being tethered to the TV with your slightly prettier picture for games though while i enjoy playing my switch on my tv at home, at my friends house's, on the train to work, in the lunch room at work or wherever the hell i want to play it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DarklordKyo said:
It's all a matter of perspective, honestly. On one hand, you have the graphically, and PS4, Xbox, and PC versions, and their better visuals and framerate. On the other hand, you have the Switch port, which trades them for portability. Some would prefer one, others would prefer the other. Either way, gotta admit that it's impressive that Doom was downported to the Switch at all, and, all things considered, aside from it's 30 FPS lock & lower visuals, it's a pretty good port for what they were working with.
This would be A-OK if the game wasn't sold for 60 bucks.

Seriously, the price for these ports is the biggest problem. I'm not expecting them to run as good as the do on PC/PS4/Xbone, since that's obviously not going to happen. But charging more?!
Yoshi178 said:
have fun being tethered to the TV with your slightly prettier picture for games though.
Yes, because I want to be outside, or on a bus, or sitting under a tree when I'm playing Doom, Wolfenstein, or L.A. Noire on a tiny screen, instead of my cozy house, sitting in a compfy chair with a drink and snack and my home theater system. I also feel tethered watching a movie on my TV as opposed to on my phone while sitting in a waiting room.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
DarklordKyo said:
This would be A-OK if the game wasn't sold for 60 bucks.

Seriously, the price for these ports is the biggest problem. I'm not expecting them to run as good as the do on PC/PS4/Xbone, since that's obviously not going to happen. But charging more?!
DOOM and especially Skyrim will more than likely be part of sales and be thrown in the bargain bin within 6-12 months time. or did you forget that these things exist?

games will always be at their most expensive when they first release no matter what platform they get released on. pretty sure the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Skyrim were also expensive when they first came out in 2016 as well despite being an old game.

Casual Shinji said:
Yoshi178 said:
have fun being tethered to the TV with your slightly prettier picture for games though.
Yes, because I want to be outside, or on a bus, or sitting under a tree when I'm playing Doom, Wolfenstein, or L.A. Noire on a tiny screen, instead of my cozy house, sitting in a compfy chair with a drink and snack and my home theater system. I also feel tethered watching a movie on my TV as opposed to on my phone while sitting in a waiting room.
hey guess what? i can be at my cozy house, sitting in my comfy chair with a drink and snack and my home theater system too. and that's fine if you don't feel tethered there, doesn't change the fact that your PS4/Xbone is tied to your TV at home though if you want to play DOOM whereas i can take my Switch and a Switch copy of DOOM wherever and whenever i want with total ease.

not so easy, with PS4 and xbox one though. but your picture is slightly prettier on your TV so yay?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Hawki said:
Oi!

People can rag on Doom 2016 all they want as far as I'm concerned, but the music is one of the best parts of the game.
It's nothing special, some riffs combined with... dubstep or something electro, bass-heavy. There are good riffs and therefore potentially good metal in this ost, but this bass-heavy electro stuff absolutely ruins it for me. I like both, but seperated (or better combined). Also, it sometimes felt like it didn't want to move on, staying on the same dubstep-riff like it would matter.

And on top of that, it's dynamically implemented. I played Doom 2016 during a free weekend, didn't finish it (didn't even get that far), but sometimes I questioned if there is music playing at all.

This is what's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q657rEkgfKs&list=PL2trYUpmh1eSosLpXYgjZlrHvOrbeU6aE

But don't get fooled by me: This is -highly- subjective. I just am disappointed that the metal is so weak. :/