Doom's Single-Player Campaign Lasts 13 Hours

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
step1999 said:
Estarc said:
I suppose that's not bad for an FPS. Similar to Bioshock (the first one) I think. Still not enough to convince me to buy it. At launch it'll be around $90 to $100 AU, give or take store specials. Unless there's a lot of replayability baked into the game that I haven't heard about then 13 hours isn't gonna be enough.
It has a level editor that they hyped up during E3, if it's even half as easy to use and flexible as they claimed, there are gonna be tons of levels to play after the campaign is over (almost certainly including fan-made remakes of the original Doom levels.)
But does it do SP levels? I got the impression it was MP-only.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Well considering New Order was between 15-20 hrs then this is sort of shameful but I think the multiplayer and a few challenges matches would even it out.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
There's a balance between a shooter campaign that ends before it gets tedious and one that drags on, the execution animations repeated during the short e3 demo, if that's all the action has 13 hours is way too long.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
ravenshrike said:
chadachada123 said:
Flathole said:
13 hours? I was a very big fan of Doom3 (though I hadn't played its predecessors, unless you include Quake1+2) and never touched its multiplayer. The singleplayer was a solid 20-30 hours on the first playthrough. You could probably speed it up to 13 by replaying it, on easy mode, with a mod that duct-tapes your flashlight to every gun, speed through all the levels that were meant to be played slower (IE when you meet the guy with the lantern) rushing straight to the next checkpoint, and ignore all the audio logs and emails...
Doom 3 was incredibly different than Doom 1/2, with Doom 3 being much, much, MUCH slower paced and having both a story and other living human beings. The first two games took a couple of/a few hours each and had essentially no story to speak of; just you, your guns, and demons.
Wat? Okay, if you know where everything is then yes you can run through Doom 2 pretty quickly(latest record is around 20 min IIRC). If however, you are killing upwards of 80% enemies per level on ultra violence, the game takes a minimum of 20 hours. And that's when you know where everything is. That's without cutscenes of any sort in the game.
Wow, only after looking it up did I realize that I haven't actually played Doom 2. My apologies, I must be thinking of a full mod or something.

Well, guess I've got something to keep me busy tonight, to rectify this.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Flathole said:
13 hours? I was a very big fan of Doom3 (though I hadn't played its predecessors, unless you include Quake1+2) and never touched its multiplayer. The singleplayer was a solid 20-30 hours on the first playthrough. You could probably speed it up to 13 by replaying it, on easy mode, with a mod that duct-tapes your flashlight to every gun, speed through all the levels that were meant to be played slower (IE when you meet the guy with the lantern) rushing straight to the next checkpoint, and ignore all the audio logs and emails...
DOOM 3 was a huge departure from what 'DOOM' meant to fans of the series. DOOM was always a fast and intense action game, but DOOM 3 was a slow jumpscare shooter.
Painkiller was more like DOOM than DOOM 3 was.

Mar 30, 2010
Magmarock said:
Back in my day a single player campaign was 20 hours.
Oh man, if only I'd been gaming during those golden years, 'cause back in my day a game called Doom 2 had a par completion time of 95 minutes. Of course, back in my day we were also excited about new releases rather than being needlessly condescending for the sake of scoring 'Internet points'.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
RealRT said:
step1999 said:
Estarc said:
I suppose that's not bad for an FPS. Similar to Bioshock (the first one) I think. Still not enough to convince me to buy it. At launch it'll be around $90 to $100 AU, give or take store specials. Unless there's a lot of replayability baked into the game that I haven't heard about then 13 hours isn't gonna be enough.
It has a level editor that they hyped up during E3, if it's even half as easy to use and flexible as they claimed, there are gonna be tons of levels to play after the campaign is over (almost certainly including fan-made remakes of the original Doom levels.)
But does it do SP levels? I got the impression it was MP-only.
They've said it can do SP and MP levels (and that "MP levels" includes competitive and co-op, if I remember right)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
step1999 said:
They've said it can do SP and MP levels (and that "MP levels" includes competitive and co-op, if I remember right)
I care not for co-op, only for SP. Thanks for the info!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'll have to wait for a sale. Bethesda continues to take advantage of the Canadian Dollar and charge us $80. I know our dollar sucks but come on. Bunch of Japanese companies stayed in the $40 to $60 range.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
13 Hours, with most spent looking for the secret chambers, because they're experienced Doom players and know they'll be secret chambers?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Digi7 said:
Dragonlayer said:
That's cool and all, and I fully approve of any modern FPS single-player lasting longer then a bored afternoon, but I'd be more interested if this was shaping up to be more like Doom 3 instead of the original.
Wow, you have to be one of the few with that sentiment. Most people are excited for a return to form which is what this Doom is claming to be. I personally don't mind too much either way, but it would be nice to see something modern with that classic arena style movement and gameplay dynamic rather than creeping through jumpscare corridors again.
I know, I'm just weird like that, I much prefer my games to take themselves seriously rather then be frantic murderthons with zero context or plot.

Er....sorry if that sounded snarky, it really isn't!

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Still most excited about this game than any other this year. Could be partially because it's Doom, or because I have been roaming around in too many open-world games lately (and no sign of stopping, still got Fallout 4 and MGS V to get through at some stage).

So a 13 hr run through a campaign sounds great. I tend to take my time through these as well, savoring the moments and prepping as well as I can for encounters, searching for secrets etc. As long as it's not some 5hr sprint I'm happy.

In any case, I'm not going to buy it at launch price, so still plenty of time to do the math and research once it comes out and see how padded that completion time really is. Anywhere between 9-18 hrs for a single player campaign is quite ok in my books, and a least deciding factor of how much I like a game. If it's that bloody good, just play it again!

This excuse doesn't hold for skimping out on content in multiplayer-only games though.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Magmarock said:
Oh man, if only I'd been gaming during those golden years, 'cause back in my day a game called Doom 2 had a par completion time of 95 minutes. Of course, back in my day we were also excited about new releases rather than being needlessly condescending for the sake of scoring 'Internet points'.
I remember when Doom was new. It was like the moon landing but better. PS. I wasn't alive for the moon landing

Mar 30, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Magmarock said:
Par times were pretty much speed runs +30 seconds by the map maker with no mention of difficulty level. Thus D2MAP01's Par time is 30 seconds.

Speed runs come in much lower than the 95 minute par total, it's simply that the par times assumed a run-and-gun approach. If you didn't care about finding all the secret areas on a level or about killing all the enemies (impossible on Nightmare difficulty of course) par times were achievable. However the point I was making was that you don't need a 20 hour campaign to produce a legendary game, and that in fact many 'iconic' games were actually much shorter than even the most meager FPS campaign of today.

Magmarock said:
I remember when Doom was new. It was like the moon landing but better. PS. I wasn't alive for the moon landing
Good for you. You can now join our very exclusive club, called everyone over thirty.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I don't know what I would compare that length to, but having a long FPS campaign begins to become boring. Playing through Doom 1 is fun as heck every time, whereas having to play through something like Half Life becomes a chore.

Since the executions seem to be optional, the only disappointing thing to me is the chainsaw. Going around with the chainsaw is so fun, maybe the chainsaw follows the melee executions and actually has a normal attack where I can keep my movement?

Hopefully, it is something like this

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I guess that isn't too bad. Nice of them to answer the question - I wouldn't say it's an announcement so much as them discussing the length with a fan (whose twitter username is related to Unreal! Pretty sweet!)

Anyway, yeah, I guess that's fairly long these days. Kinda feels bad because I've spent a lot more time with stuff like Serious Sam 3, or even Hard Reset. But I'm sure it'll be enjoyable. I'm glad it won't need 80 hours of my life, but it would be nice if I can sink my teeth into it for more than 13 hours. Hopefully the multiplayer and user-made maps will continue to give it life.

I mean, people are *still* playing Doom 2 mods. :)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Magmarock said:
AND WE HAD TO WALK FIFTEEN MILES IN THE SNOW JUST TO CLOSE THE DISC TRAY!

OT: Seems like a good length, I'm just hoping it remembers to keep things METAAAAAAL like the originals.