Dota 2: Valve Is Manipulating Gamers into Good Behavior

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I have my doubts. You have people with their head so far up their ass that they actually want punishments like Mutes and the Low Priority Queue removed. Why? "Because I should be allowed to 'tell the truth' and some whiny kid who has his feelings hurt shouldn't be allowed to say otherwise". Yes, people have actually argued that they should be allowed to act like assholes as a reason to remove the ability to PERSONALLY mute someone.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
RaikuFA said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
How about 1) ban 90% of all DOTA players or 2) just stop support of this genre 100% until the community gets its shit together.
Why is it that so many people who don't actually seem to play the game apparently want it to go away? No matter how bad the dota community is it's not like it effects you.
Because that attitude can seep into games that those people like.
So how many games that you have played have been damaged/ruined by confirmed dota players? Also did these players aquire said additude playing dota or was it already present?

Zauxst

Feb 16, 2011
It's funny how I never got into that cognitive dissonance. I dropped on main account from 3.4 to 2.6k, and mostly because I was a team player, always picking w/e was needed, always doing what I was supposed to do.

I played 5 man ranked with my friends we played at 4k... Now for some reason on that account I just can't do anything at 2.6k rating.

Now how do you find a psychological explanation valve?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
see, the problem with this theory is that it means that people realize they were being a bad teammate. the thing is, majority of people online thing they actually were the best teamplayer. as in they genuinely believe it to the point of reporting anyone that disagrees. such tricks does not work on people like these. and there are plenty of them.

RaikuFA said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
How about 1) ban 90% of all DOTA players or 2) just stop support of this genre 100% until the community gets its shit together.
Why is it that so many people who don't actually seem to play the game apparently want it to go away? No matter how bad the dota community is it's not like it effects you.
well, if we close down DOTA 2 genre it will certainly seep into other genres since the player-base will have to go somewhere. Id rather have it mostly contained there. Why yes, i treat it like a plague.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Bertinan said:
I wonder if this data is coming from when they introduced the two reports a week limit, which dropped the volume of my reports by 90% on it's own, or if it's coming from when they introduced the new (and hilarious) mute/low priority system. Or maybe it comes from large numbers of people just giving up on reports doing anything at all.

Basically, I smell bullshit on this one. Far more likely explanations for why report volume dropped than a simple question that no one pays attention to anyway.

Also, I can tell you as someone who play a LOT of dota2 (2k+ hours so far) that game quality has not improved at all since 2010, when I first got into beta. In fact, it's just gotten worse and worse with each new "fix" for matchmaking they introduce. Couple that with the total lack of content releases (still no where near hero parity with DoTA 1) and the fact that thousands of bugs still sit in the dev forum completely ignored for years...

Oh, but don't worry. Valve makes sure to release new hats every week;)
Aren't you a salty one? Dota's been improving, it regularly gets new features that make the game and the community better, sure I haven't been playing since the days when it was actually remotely tricky to get into the beta, but I've noticed improvements in game and community since I started playing, so maybe you're just a nihilist who would rather complain than even try and notice the improvements. Just a guess though.

Edit: Actually, I'll go out on a limb and argue that if you haven't noticed a drop in negative behaviour that it's because of the only constant in all your games, you. Negativity begets negativity. You're clearly flaunting a negative attitude here. And if you're the type of player who snarks at teammates for item or hero picks or even unlucky deaths, then yeah, people will be negative because you set the tone. So maybe try and be a bit more positive? Support the team? Be a bit more cheery? Give them a pat on the back if the support upgrades the courier on -exactly- the three minute mark?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Only thing I know is that the Commend system is very ineffective.

I have acquired about 24 "friendly" commendations despite the fact I am very vocal towards "dicks" I encounter in the game.

Also, players have the habit of requesting Commendations from the enemy team at the end of the game.
You can commend someone for:
Leadership.
Forgiveness.
Friendliness.
Teaching.

Leadership - You cannot lead the enemy team. If you could, that would probably be called "throwing the game" or "ghosting". You are actively and consciously causing your team to have a lower chance at winning.

Forgiveness - That is irrelevant. Forgiveness is when someone forgives mistakes or being brash. The former is irrelevant for the opposition. In fact, the enemy making a mistake is beneficial. Forgiving is pointless or sarcastic. The latter I don't think justify commending your enemy for being forgiving.

Friendliness requires more than Good Luck Have Fun and Good Game at the beginning and end of the game. Perhaps kicking up a nice conversation during the Paused periods or time when both of you are dead.

Teaching might be the only justifiable enemy commendation. I like to give pointers out to the enemy. Helpful pointers. Probably a back-handed complement. But it's still educational.

But yeah, just because the enemy was "good", doesn't mean they qualify to be deemed as: "A good leader/forgiving/friendly or teaching mostly". Because if you think you were, you probably had access to enemy team chat, which is probably against the rules (ghosting).

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, they should create a second set of commendation options for commending enemies, but hey. I think the system is intended to be used on your own teammates first and foremost.

But for commending your own team I'd say they're good. And I use it with some frequency, although not nearly as much as I used to as lately I've been playing with friends a lot and goodness knows you can only commend people once.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
So how many games that you have played have been damaged/ruined by confirmed dota players? Also did these players aquire said additude playing dota or was it already present?

Dunno I'm not a mind reader. But I do know from experience from trying these games that that attitude is rampant in online play. And instead of burying our heads in the sand about it we should be getting rid of it altogether.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Strazdas said:
see, the problem with this theory is that it means that people realize they were being a bad teammate. the thing is, majority of people online thing they actually were the best teamplayer. as in they genuinely believe it to the point of reporting anyone that disagrees. such tricks does not work on people like these. and there are plenty of them.

RaikuFA said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
well, if we close down DOTA 2 genre it will certainly seep into other genres since the player-base will have to go somewhere. Id rather have it mostly contained there. Why yes, i treat it like a plague.
Yeah I do too. I do think it needs to go away as well. Especially since companies want to shove online play down people throats.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Yeah I do too. I do think it needs to go away as well. Especially since companies want to shove online play down people throats.
So dota is responsible for companies trying to shove online play down peoples throats? Dude I dont mind you not liking the game, but what your saying makes zero sense.

Im also curious how you wanna "get rid of that additude alltogether", if your talking about removing any sort of online gaming then good luck with that. Some people will always be assholes and find ways to be assholes no matter what you do, might as well just have fun regardless.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:
So dota is responsible for companies trying to shove online play down peoples throats? Dude I dont mind you not liking the game, but what your saying makes zero sense.

Im also curious how you wanna "get rid of that additude alltogether", if your talking about removing any sort of online gaming then good luck with that. Some people will always be assholes and find ways to be assholes no matter what you do, might as well just have fun regardless.
Let me reword what I said. DOTA and LOL are the games that most of this hostility is coming from.

And I have never had fun playing online once. It's always asshole after asshole.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Let me reword what I said. DOTA and LOL are the games that most of this hostility is coming from.

And I have never had fun playing online once. It's always asshole after asshole.
So you tried the games, had some bad experiences, and want them to not exist anymore because of that. That sounds reasonable.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:

however MOBA ARE responsible for forcing in an attitude of "this isnt a game, this is a job/prison" into multiplayer games, they are the reason i cant quit a CoH 2 match without closing the program, the game simply wont let me quit a match normally, just like in LoL/Dota 2, I fucking hate that, its a game, if im not enoying it why should i be forced to continue playing?

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:

however MOBA ARE responsible for forcing in an attitude of "this isnt a game, this is a job/prison" into multiplayer games, they are the reason i cant quit a CoH 2 match without closing the program, the game simply wont let me quit a match normally, just like in LoL/Dota 2, I fucking hate that, its a game, if im not enoying it why should i be forced to continue playing?
It's expected of you to finish the game, regardless if it's going on your favor largely because you leaving would remove either 1/5 or even 1/3 of your team. They're not "forcing" anything. They do, however, discourage dropping out by instating timed penalties but at that point you've essentially already decided not to play so it shouldn't matter then.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Mortis Nuncius said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:

It's expected of you to finish the game, regardless if it's going on your favor largely because you leaving would remove either 1/5 or even 1/3 of your team. They're not "forcing" anything. They do, however, discourage dropping out by instating timed penalties but at that point you've essentially already decided not to play so it shouldn't matter then.
i dont care what kind of system they implement in their game, when others devs start taking notes, thats when i get pissed

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
NuclearKangaroo said:
Im not sure if it's actually dotas fault that certain games punish leaving but theres a valid criticism at least.

The reason dota is so strict on leavers is because of the games design. Dota just doesn't work as a 4v5 or 2v1 it only funtions 5v5. If you join a game of dota you should be aware of this. Leaving in a game of titanfall doesn't automatically doom everyone (your team and the enemy) into having a shitty game but this inevitably happens if you leave a dota game, the game becomes entirely pointless afterwards for both sides.

Dota at it's core is 100% dependend on the structure of the team, you dont measure your skills against the enemys, you measure your team against theyrs and you only matter as a part of said team. This is why playing dota in pubs is essentially already the wrong way to play it(even though thats the way I play as well).
It is designed and balanced almost exclusively around premade teams that know how to play together and how to utilze and counter strategys. This effect generates almost seperates the game into 2 games, dota how it is actually supposed to be played and pub dota.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
NuclearKangaroo said:
Mortis Nuncius said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:

i dont care what kind of system they implement in their game, when others devs start taking notes, thats when i get pissed
In my opinion, those kinds of systems can be good. At least in games where one person makes up a large portion of the team. Otherwise just one person leaving because they disagree with another's choice of character/loadout would condemntheirteam to a crushing defeat by being outnumbered. When people are discouraged from abandoning the game, they're left to either take the penalty or make the most out of the game, and possibly even win. Of course that won't apply to some people, but just because there's vocal brats who can't handle that doesn't mean it should spell the end of those games.

Edit: To avoid any confusion, by "vocal brats" I mean the toxic people who get angry about how others play and, instead of cooperating with the team, try to play manager and insult others when their teammates don't play to their exact outline of how they think the game should be played.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DaViller said:
RaikuFA said:

So you tried the games, had some bad experiences, and want them to not exist anymore because of that. That sounds reasonable.
At least until they get their shit together.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
all glory to hypnovalve

i hate dota 2, but its nice to see valve trying to make it less awful

I am as shocked as you are that this gif exists.

OT: Hmmm... well, if your getting results. No matter what, I can't imagine how this would increase bad behavior, so I can't complain. As long as there is not a hid[small][small][small][small]buyhatsnow[/small][/small][/small][/small]den side effects, I don't see a problem with it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
"You're going to want to answer the question honestly. "
Pffffffffffff.

Seriously, I do not believe that is in particular something real assholes will have much of a problem with.
Our whole society is built upon "white lies" which are used IMMENSELY often as they are even considdered to be "correct etiquette"!
Whether or not you lie doesn't matter. If you were a bad team player and lie and put yourself as 5 stars, you're still aware that you lied. It's not something that makes people just do a 180 and suddenly stop being a dick. It won't make much of a difference on an individual level, at least not one that's noticeable. But on a macro scale, it is significant.