DotA vs LoL...which is better?

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Smite? :D

Between those two I'd go with DOTA though. The learning curve is steep and painful (I reccomend purgegamers' guides and other beginner's guides on youtube) but once you're through, the game is a lot more fun imo. Plus you don't have to spend 10 years or approximately one metric butt-ton unlocking every character, they're all there from the start.

(for reals though, smite is crazy fun)

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Dota 2 is a conglomerate of shit mechanics designed to make a player feel like the game is deeper than it actually is.

LoL is a game designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I despise Dota 2 because of its pretentious nature.
I despise LoL because of Riot's refusal to fix champions and stop making utter shit champions like Vi and Jinx.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Lictor Face said:
Zepherus14 said:
Here's my logic in this subject.

Does DOTA2 have a giant sentient Armadillo? No... [footnote]Actually I have no idea, if it does then wow, someone copied someone here. The world just isn't big enough for two giant sentient armadillos...[/footnote]

Does LoL have a giant sentient Armadillo? Yes!

Thus LoL is the better game![footnote]Honestly I've only ever played LoL. I'm not hardcore enough to want to try to switch over since LoL fills my need for MOBAs with the limited time I do have. Thus I have no say on which is better than the other, other than I enjoy LoL for its giant sentient armadillo killing machine. Who is Rammus. Who is awesome :p[/footnote]
We do have a short angry porcupine with an absolutely bitchin australian accent.

But anyway, if you ask me? Dota has more replay value so to speak due to the open metagame.

LoL has fixed static hero roles ( One jungler. One solo top. one mid etc ) while dota 2 can mix it and match it ( Dual mid? Go for it. Two duo lanes? Why not? Trilane. Get your shit on son! )

I won't lie though. The dota community does not take kindly to....fools. ( Fresh tip. Don't try out a brand new spanking hero in a MM game. Test it out in a bot match. Otherwise you'll piss everyone off, including yourself )

LoL is easier to get into and start, most of the heroes are relatively straight forward and don't have any quirky skill interactions with game mechanics etc.

I don't know much about the running gag that LoL players are wankers, but it seems to get better when you cross the elo skill borders.

Honestly, either way, you won't be able to decide which one you like purely based on opinions. Both are mobas, both technically play the same obvious differences aside.

Hell I chose dota 2 primarily because Garena bought out LoL in SEA, and FUCK Garena.
Ooooo That porcupine sounds pretty interesting, not as much as Rammus the giant sentient armadillo, but it is a close second. :p

But fair enough, I'm more looking for a game to bum around with my friends, have a good laugh, that sort of thing. I can see the appeal of Dota, but don't really have any reason why I would switch over since all the people I know play LoL.

Have a nice day though, and a happy thanksgiving to all those that are in the Americas that celebrate.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I tried DOTA2 but couldn't get into it, and the lack of an integrated bot mode is a huge turn-off for me (though you can create your own lobby for that purpose). Don't know anything about the community.

I play LOL and I enjoy it, but I can confirm that the player base is extremely toxic, even people in non-draft games will report you if you're not being "good enough."

So I'd say, LOL is the more casual one whilst DOTA2 is the more complicated one. Some people have said that LOL feels more "unofficial" than DOTA2, I wouldn't know how to judge that.

As far as aesthetics go, DOTA2's characters aren't bad, but they are a bit simple compared to LOL's. Both are very pretty (if a bit cliche and juvenile at times). Fanart for both is fantastic.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Josh Ward said:
...and how there is no Ability Power due to DotA originally being made in WC3 editor.
I can't see that being the reason whilst there are heroes whose spells scale with int.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Josh Ward said:
Sight Unseen said:
I just wanted to chime in here and say that heroes DO NOT get a blink dagger in Dota 2 except in certain circumstances. It's an item that costs 2150 gold and only initiators and some carries typically pick one up. Some heroes have blink abilities like antimage and Queen of Pain, but most do not. Also Blink Daggers are used mainly as an offensive item, since the dagger cannot be used if you've been damaged in the last 3 seconds so it's pretty difficult to use as an escape in most circumstances.
Yeah played DotA way back in the the day so I'm reasonably familiar with the game and I was referring to the item. I was (poorly) trying to convey that Flash is generally used more offensively to initiate rather then to escape (Flash stun combo is very scary, especially if you have a couple of stuns/slows in ganks, similar to Blink Dagger. If you use Flash to get away it's considered to be wasting it as you'd rather have it for use offensively and it has a long cooldown. Another misconception is Flash is enough to get you away whereas many times it isn't.

Quite surprised only initiators get it now. I always used to think it seemed like a good item for almost everyone (as well as Sheep Stick). Of course you'd need to get other items for damage first. Speaking of items reminds me of the Strength/Agility/Intelligence thing which is kinda lame and how there are issues with the orb effects and how there is no Ability Power due to DotA originally being made in WC3 editor. In LoL they were willing to get rid of these bad aspects from DotA which I really like.

(In case someone quotes me saying "Hah they admit it, they ripped off DotA... look up Guinsoo)
Yeah, the blink dagger is a pretty situational item nowadays in Dota 2. Most supports are better off with a force staff or nothing at all, instead favoring support items like mekanism, drums, and pipe of insight. It's usually only picked up by people who have big aoe stuns or disables who can use it to jump right into the middle of a group and pop their ability. Enigma, Tidehunter, Axe, Slardar and others like them typically get blink daggers.

I'm not sure what you mean about the limitations you mentioned, and I actually like the str/agil/int system personally, although Im far from a pro at the game I do have a fair amount of experience with it now. Never played LoL so I can't really compare directly.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Lictor Face said:
We do have a short angry porcupine with an absolutely bitchin australian accent.
Mildly nitpicky but it's a British [http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/7/77/Bristle_cast_02.mp3] accent. An immensely British accent.

His Responses [http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Bristleback_responses]

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Josh Ward said:
how there is no Ability Power due to DotA originally being made in WC3 editor.
There is no ability power because spells are not supposed to scale. Spells are very powerful early game.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Tanakh said:
Not really, using mana for last hits instead of harass, not having a free camera and not pay attention to your pathing are bad habits that LoL promotes off the top off my head. And by bad habits I mean those that are marks of bad/lazy playing in both DotA and LoL.
Those aren't really habits LoL "promotes".
-Only a handful of champions get rewarded for spending mana to last-hit, and those few usually make it a mechanic central to their entire kit(Nasus gets stronger, Annie charges up her stun for free, ect.).
-The camera is a setting, and if anything, LoL promotes using the free one by rewarding it with more awareness.
-Pathing is a DotA only issue, because DotA had/has turn speed on characters as a leftover from WC3 engine.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Naqel said:
Those aren't really habits LoL "promotes".
-Only a handful of champions get rewarded for spending mana to last-hit, and those few usually make it a mechanic central to their entire kit(Nasus gets stronger, Annie charges up her stun for free, ect.).
-The camera is a setting, and if anything, LoL promotes using the free one by rewarding it with more awareness.
-Pathing is a DotA only issue, because DotA had/has turn speed on characters as a leftover from WC3 engine.
Mana is less of an issue and spells are more spammable. I have seen way more frequent use of last hits with spells on LoL, than on DotA due that, and it's a bad habit because you really shouldn't use it for that most of the time.

No, not really. Last time I played LoL it was set on auto follow by default, it promotes thus this bad habit, and it's a bad habit because as you said free camera gives you more shit to view.

Pathing is a mechanic in any game where you control units, in DotA, WC and SC you could exploit it by scouting stuff without even going there if you knew the engine well enough, then they patched it. It is not an issue in DotA 2 and SC 2, but for some reason it gives trouble to LoL trained players (IMO because it promotes the bad habit of not seeing where the toon is going), and the turn speed is not a leftover, just an extra mechanic that IMO makes the game feel less crisp but more natural and gives extra depth to the engagements.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Lictor Face said:
Don't forget about his arch-nemesis, a Canadian walrus with bionic arm!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I can't comment much on LoL, since all I know about that game is from hearsay and the odd "LoL player switching to Dota" thread on the Dota 2 subreddit. I have heard that it's fairly common to "main" a hero or role in LoL, which I don't suggest doing on Dota. You should really be prepared to fill in any role. While Carry and Mid are the most popular pub roles ("Mid" not really being a proper role, but it's called early very often), I have ended up on all-support teams. I learned Dota by randoming constantly, and I really feel it served me well. I quickly developed a very good understanding of each hero's mechanics, while some of my friends who got into the game at the same time took much longer. And that understanding is just as crucial for playing against those heroes as it is actually playing them yourself.

On turn-rate, which I saw mentioned: Yes, it is an actual mechanic in Dota. Some heroes have very fast turn-rates (like Bristleback, who takes reduced damaged when his side or back is facing the source of damage) and others have slow turn-rates (like Elder Titan). A few heroes have abilities which can affect the turn-rate of enemy heroes (Medusa, Batrider). It's just another thing that adds to the depth of the game.

As for the "Russian" and overall community issue: It's an online community. You should know what to expect by now. Yes, you'll run into a fair share of foreign players. Don't prejudge them, though. I've met many who were actually able of speaking great English and were competent players. And if anyone does bother you, mute them. Simple as that. You can report them as well. On the whole, though, I'd say your best experience will be partying up with friends. I'm usually in Ventrilo with 3-4 friends while I play, so random pubs aren't a problem as often. If you don't have that luxury, then look for opportunities to find people to play with. There are in-game chat channels where you can meet people, there are forums (Giant Bomb comes to mind. The Dota 2 subreddit as well, of course) with robust Dota communities where people are often looking for others to play with. And if you meet someone you enjoyed playing with in a game, send them a friend request. With very little effort, you can improve your experience with the community greatly.

Also, the game is very deep. There are tons of mechanics that aren't readily apparent, and knowing these will make you a better player. However, don't let this overwhelm or discourage you. Remember that you're being queued up with people on a similar skill level as you, and you're not likely to find any newbie players (maybe the odd scrub account, etc) who have a good knowledge of many of the game's mechanics. You can learn these on the fly, and will be perfectly fine doing so.

If you DO want to learn more, then there's a wealth of resources. I love watching Twitch streams (Draskyl, Blitz, Purge, Merlini. The latter two also have Youtube channels that are great for learning, as they explain a good bit while they play). The Dota 2 subreddit does regular hero discussions, which are great for learning nuances of those heroes. Dotafire.com has some awesome guides as well. There's also a series on Youtube for absolute beginners called "Dota for Dummies". Try looking it up. Like I said, you don't NEED all that knowledge at the start. But the resources for learning it is readily available.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Drizzitdude said:
I find league to be more fast paced and more big play moments. Also they are constantly changing the game and pushing out a ton of updates. I find the only problem with Dota champs is they are all warcraft based and that limits them to what they can do with them. Also there are some ideas that made it into the game that I don't understand how no one pointed out its problems. One of the characters for example, sniper, can make it so his autoattack passively stun enemies. In early games, its annoying, in mid game, its tough as hell to stop, late game you have no chance of getting away fromt hat guy, he can literally lock down whoever he wants.
Okay, I felt the need to jump in. May the game gods have mercy on me...

Dota prides itself on balance and hero hard counters. Sniper, is a very squishy carry who takes absurd levels of farm to achieve carry status. His major weakness is anyone who can bridge the gap and crush his tiny head in. Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Rkimaru, Bounty Hunter, Storm Spirit, Tusk, Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Phantom Assassin, and Slark salivate upon seeing Sniper on the enemy team.

I played LoL after it left beta for about 3 years before getting into Dota 2. I reached level 30, unlocked most of the champions at the time, and reached high Gold in the old ranked system. I can honestly say, I did enjoy LoL...for a while. But the mechanics I enjoyed ground away the fun and made it a droll slog through games. I found myself bored, and often frustrated due to LoL's nature of comebacks even after stomping one team incredibly hard. I yearned for complexity and subtle nuances, and that was answered in Dota 2. I haven't looked back since.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Dota 2 if you like playing a videogame.
League of Legends if you like not being able to play at all.

Or in a slightly more in depth answer, League servers have problems nearly every, single, day. Whereas Dota 2 runs over Valve servers, known to host official servers on TF2, Counter Strike and various other games all deemed quite stable.

League of Legends has ranked mode, which some use as a way of saying 'We can play against better people' but really people on ranked mode is just as good as the people on normal unless you manage to fight your way to the very top which requires a premade team, you can't get there alone with random people.

Dota 2 'is' one big ranked mode which pits you against people of your skill-level, or at least tries to.

League of Legends is slowly removing its F2P model, every time a new champion appears the initial IP price seems to rise, and their former policy of reducing said price over time as they become older seems to have been proven wrong by the fact that year-old champions still cost the highest price of IP points (You earn by playing) while still lowering in RP (The points you buy)

Dota 2 is created by the company which owns Hatshooter2. They know they can live purely off cosmetics and as such you receive all champions for free.

The two in terms of gameplay are very similar. Except Dota 2 has a higher learning curve and slightly slower response-times, feeling more like you're playing a mod on a stradegy-game than a game in its own right.

Overall I only really play League of Legends, but I and my friends have blown hundreds on it in terms of champions, if you are just entering the Genre. Dota 2 is the way to go. Unless you feel like stabbing your wallet with a knife over and over again. Which league will get even the most stubborn of 'I'm not gonna spend money on this' kind of players to do after a good while.

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
Neither.

League is more a business than a game

Dota 2 is more Dota 1.5 - Escape from Warcraft 3 than it is a deserving, succinct sequel.

In short, Leauge has an extremely poorly written game engine but extremely successful 'free to play' money extraction model. It was initially developed with little budget in obscurity, by relatively amateur developers and as a consequence the game engine is clunky and inflexible. Rather than scrapping and rewriting, they continuously try to bring up the engine up to standard, but its still a dog turd neatly wrapped with a pretty bow. The scope of what abilities a hero can actually have is so small, limited by technical implementation, that most new heroes are simply remashups of previous heroes, which makes 'Wouldn't it be cool if....' ideas irrelevant next to 'shut up, here have some AoE splash damage'. Next, to support the free-to-play 'with desirable purcheses' model, they release new heroes so often the pool is completely unbalanceable, and they are released so often at maximum cost the only way to realtisically own all the heroes is to pay. It is not uncommon for strong willed players to put a fortune into Leauge. Riot is the Zynga of MOBA

Dota 2 does better with a proper budget, competent dev team, the backing and support of Valve et al, but its also incontrovertibly retarded in the scope of its project, probably by the insistence of Icefrog. Rather than looking at what made warcraft 3 dota great, and making a worthy sequel, they have literally pulled the game out into their own engine, INCLUDING odd quirks and limitations of the Warcraft engine 3. For example, rather than asking how pathfinding and spawning of neutral creeps should work, they copy the behaviour from the warcraft 3 engine, which only behave that way due to limitations of that particular engine. Its mindboggling.

So in short, they both suck in their own way. Dota 2 is (obviously) truer to the original, cheaper and better built. But, tbqfh you might as well be playing dota warcraft 3 style.

PapstJL4U

Jan 10, 2012
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Am I the only one who thinks restricting heroes is a good thing? I tried DOTA 2, and I was given an insane amount of heroes to choose from. I asked someone "Whats the good heroes to get used to the game before getting more complex heroes" and they gave me a list of 20 heroes. Never even bothered after that.

With LoL, it gives me like 12, I just got to ask someone who plays a lot what would be a good hero from the list to get used to the game, I get a list of like 2 or 3.

Well, thats your beta experience. Dota2 is out of beta now and it has a 'good' tutorial now, inclusive last hitting and you get out of the tutorial when you play 20 games with a limited hero pool of 20 easy to play heroes.
I play(ed) both games and you should decide for the following reasons:
a) Do any friends of yours play any game? If yes, play that game. Its more fun with friends.
b) If you like server stability play Dota 2 (if you are in EU).
c) Do you have problems with "the rule of exceptions"? If yes, play LoL. LoL is not totally free of it, but has less. I like the bunch of exceptions, that dota2 offers. :)

If you are new to the genre, than their is no easy way. If you know the genre, pick one or both. :>

PapstJL4U

Jan 10, 2012
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
On terms of stability, I've never had any problems with the LoL servers. Mainly because I'm Australian, so the big servers are always fairly low on population when I play, and the Australian server (which is the only one that gives me decent ping) is always low due to oceania only being a really small fucking amount of people to actually play. Still enough so I can get games, in the same way Black Ops 1 is a totally playable game on multiplayer, not that I play it much. (Got sick of it in about 3 hours)

Do you browse reddit/r/leagueoflegends ?

Quote of today: "EUW is stable for now, if problems come up check here LINK". Thats special, because the last 1-2 weeks every day the subreddit had notification, that you got problems on EUW or from France, Germany, Britian. Ofcourse its not the mayority, but its a big enough number to matter and if OP wants to start a game and he would play on EUW, i suggest dota2 just to be save. :)

It was just my checklist for OP. I dont think, that other servers beside Korea (only 1-2 times) had so much trouble as EU(W). :(

Comparing Dota2 to LoL is just like comparing CS1.6 to UT. Both are games of the same genre, but completley different. UT is much faster, jumpy and spammy (like LoL), where CS1.6 is more careful, more planning ahead (eco-pistol arounds), more sneaky but can explode in an instant. Both a perfectly fine games, but cater to very different people. :)