Download The Expendables? You Might Be Sued

LawyerScumGhost

Mar 8, 2010
Hypothetically, if I download a movie and it is good I will actually go and buy it on Blu-Ray. The industry will see less sales if they continue this lawsuit madness.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
I think the real problem is is that people would pirate The Expendables. Christ, what a horrible movie.

Apr 24, 2008
Warachia said:
Rich people in a $100,000 house? up here that is really cheap actually, and gets you a house with one floor and about 3-4 rooms.
I assumed they meant annual income when I first read it, looking back...I don't know what to think.

I wonder what the proposed settlement was, something hurrendous I'm sure. I hope these people get shut down, to my mind...they are attempting to make a business model out of scaring money out of people...and are coming down on defense lawyers who are just doing their jobs, because it doesn't help their cause.

If piracy is a moral issue, you don't counter it by partaking in far more dubious behaviour than what you claim you're opposing.

Jul 22, 2009
dragonslayer32 said:
Am I the only one that thinks the Expendables is good? I went to the cinema to see it and pre-ordered it on DVD, the story lacks but if you need to kill time with some senseless violence it is great.
But the violence wasn't even good violence.

It was badly choreographed, lacked any flair of originality or intrigue and were generally cheap.

The movie was doomed to suck once they blew their whole budget on actors and special effects...

Look at something like Scott Pilgrim for how to do fight scenes well.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
ace_of_something said:
wandererbkb said:
I wonder what they would do if someone downloaded it then bought the DVD.
If I paid for a pair of jeans after I stole them and wore them around town for a week, i would still get arrested.
Except its more taking ugly pair of jeans that can duplicate itself an infinite amount of times and you took a single copy thus depriving nobody of anything, because there is no chance in hell you were ever going to buy it anyway. Then after wearing it for a week, the jeans sort of grew on you, you decided you like the way they look after all, and gave your money to the original designer.

Not advocating piracy, but these sort of crack downs are silly, because piracy will not stop no matter what. Companies ought to realize this, and instead of butting heads and punishing paying consumers by having those dumb ass anti piracy ads on legitimately purchased DVDs, maybe they should adapt to public file sharing by perhaps making better movies that people want to buy, or selling more appealing physical copies with extras people care about. $20-30 for disk that cost 2 cents to manufacture? Yeah, sounds awesome.

Of course on the other side of the fence: get a job and pay for stuff you want like a proper adult, dirtbags :).

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Arehexes said:
Tipsy Giant said:
UPDATE: The production company has found the IP Address' of all of the downloaders and has sent all three of them letters apologising BOOM!
Points to you good sir, I giggled from that.
Then I have served my purpose and Ziggy should be leaping me any second

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Blazingdragoon04 said:
What would you like me to do, feel bad for all the people who are out breaking the law? Hold on and let me get my tiny fiddle...

In all seriousness, yes, the RIAA goes a little bit overboard with their piracy charges. But christ, even THOSE don't seem to be stopping people from hacking, torrenting, and otherwise stealing the works that they put time and effort into making, and that others put time and effort into making.

If you are expecting me to feel bad for thieves then I feel bad that you actually think that the thieves are in the right. These aren't robin hood-esque style of thieves who go about taking from the rich to give to the poor. These are people who are stealing from hard working people, moving writers, producers, script editors, and justify it because they are taking money from 1 or 2 really really rich actors.

Grow up, stealing is stealing. Get used to the punishments that come along with stealing if you commit the crime, and get off the soap box by making the RIAA be the complete bad guy. They wouldn't be such insane dicks if people didn't steal everything they ever had over the past 15 years.
Yes, God forbid the union-protected film industry workers, who get paid way more than most normal people, lose a few dollars because someone pirated their garbage film. Gee, it must be so hard to write a script that involves all the best paid Hollywood action film stars to go around blowing shit up for two-and-a-half hours. Yeah, right. Hard working indeed. People that defend corporations and other large entities like that are so incredibly bizarre.

And copyright infringement is not theft, ergo, people who pirate are not thieves. That is why it is called copyright infringement. Try learning the difference before you go around telling others to grow up for defending a reasonable perspective. As others have said, it is rather hard to claim you've been maligned when your reaction to being maligned is outrageous and not at all in balance with what happened to you to begin with. We don't fine people into oblivion for stealing DVDs from the store because we don't live in a third-world dictatorship. If these media groups made an attempt to meet people half-way, instead of trying to retain complete control of something that is now nigh impossible to do so, I'd have more sympathy for them. As it stands, they and all their already millions acquired can go piss up a rope for all I care. They don't give a fuck about me in so much as I am seen as being a wallet on legs, so why should I care about them?

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Why is it that you only see mass lawsuits for the shitty movies? Also: Happy Holidays everyone, enjoy being sued? Apparently they like to ruin people's financial lives in a time when everyone else is trying to spread joy.

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
What a bunch of shit! I saw this twice in theaters, bootlegged it to watch until it came out and then bought the DVD on launch day. People usually bootleg movies to see if they are good before spending money to go see them.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I never pirate movies, at least really recent ones, mostly old that I can't get on DVD, I wait for the newest movies to show up on TV on demand so I can buy it and watch it on the comfort of my couch or watch for free there.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Blazingdragoon04 said:
What would you like me to do, feel bad for all the people who are out breaking the law? Hold on and let me get my tiny fiddle...

In all seriousness, yes, the RIAA goes a little bit overboard with their piracy charges. But christ, even THOSE don't seem to be stopping people from hacking, torrenting, and otherwise stealing the works that they put time and effort into making, and that others put time and effort into making.

If you are expecting me to feel bad for thieves then I feel bad that you actually think that the thieves are in the right. These aren't robin hood-esque style of thieves who go about taking from the rich to give to the poor. These are people who are stealing from hard working people, moving writers, producers, script editors, and justify it because they are taking money from 1 or 2 really really rich actors.

Grow up, stealing is stealing. Get used to the punishments that come along with stealing if you commit the crime, and get off the soap box by making the RIAA be the complete bad guy. They wouldn't be such insane dicks if people didn't steal everything they ever had over the past 15 years.
It is copyright infringement, not stealing. You can say "you're taking things without paying for them, that's theft!" all you want, it doesn't make it true. Under the law, you will be tried and charged for violation of copyright, not theft. You are not stealing money from anyone, you are at worst denying them money.

Is it right to pirate media? No. Is it theft? No, it's copyright infringement. If you download a $20 album should you be charged 30 million dollars? I don't think that's anywhere near reasonable, yet somehow in the states they get away with it.

Here in Canada the CRIAA tried to sue someone for millions of dollars, the case was thrown out of court as outlandish and excessive, and the pirates got away Scott free. The video and music industries need to get their heads back down to reality, people don't have the kind of money they want and/or are accustomed to. Should you really have to declare bankruptcy and have your life destroyed because you didn't pay to see the expendables? I don't think so, I likewise don't think there should be no punishment at all.

The punishment needs to fit the cirime. Hell, if you stole a physical copy from the store (which is actually theft this time) you would be charged with about a $2,500 fine and community service. Yet somehow downloading it from the internet results in a 12000x multiplier? What is it, a convenience fee?

The entertainment industry wants to set examples, but it makes them look like assholes and does nothing but hurt them.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
AC10 said:
Blazingdragoon04 said:

It is copyright infringement, not stealing. You can say "you're taking things without paying for them, that's theft!" all you want, it doesn't make it true. Under the law, you will be tried and charged for violation of copyright, not theft. You are not stealing money from anyone, you are at worst denying them money.

Is it right to pirate media? No. Is it theft? No, it's copyright infringement. If you download a $20 album should you be charged 30 million dollars? I don't think that's anywhere near reasonable, yet somehow in the states they get away with it.

Here in Canada the CRIAA tried to sue someone for millions of dollars, the case was thrown out of court as outlandish and excessive, and the pirates got away Scott free. The video and music industries need to get their heads back down to reality, people don't have the kind of money they want and/or are accustomed to. Should you really have to declare bankruptcy and have your life destroyed because you didn't pay to see the expendables? I don't think so, I likewise don't think there should be no punishment at all.

The punishment needs to fit the cirime. Hell, if you stole a physical copy from the store (which is actually theft this time) you would be charged with about a $2,500 fine and community service. Yet somehow downloading it from the internet results in a 12000x multiplier? What is it, a convenience fee?

The entertainment industry wants to set examples, but it makes them look like assholes and does nothing but hurt them.
Theft is an over arching simplification and it covers a number of things: armed robbery, petty theft, larceny, embezzlement, and copyright infringement (just to name a few). Look at a few law books, it is covered.