Dr. Horrible to Host Spike VGAs

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dr. Horrible to Host Spike VGAs

This year's Spike Video Game Awards will be hosted by a would-be mad scientist, a precocious teenage doctor, and a smart-aleck womanizer - all in one body.

I'm not going to lie: I kind of love Neil Patrick Harris. He's one of my favorite modern actors - he was great in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, he's hilarious in How I Met Your Mother, and he was one of the more tolerable bits of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8146-Review-Spider-Man-Shattered-Dimensions].

So, learning that good ol' NPH was slated to host the upcoming Spike VGAs may have completely made my day. Harris will be joined by plenty of other people you probably don't care about, like comedian Dane Cook and skateboarder Tony Hawk. More relevant to people with taste, he will also be presiding over the official premieres of 13 upcoming games, including whatever it is that BioWare is working on [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105477-BioWare-Drops-Another-Hint].

I just hope he can actually deliver the gaming jokes without it seeming forced. I mean, don't get me wrong - I have faith in NPH to do it if anyone can, but a misstep or two might just make me cringe. I'll be crossing my fingers for a legen - wait for it - dary performance, myself.

The VGAs are this Saturday at 8PM Eastern.

(Associated Press [http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqNA1ROQlOtPLg_t07ua5QtC31mQ?docId=610e431f3f484659b0421a37a8e8f8f6])

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Fanboy squee! This should be legen- Oh, wait, you already did that. Dammit.
But yeah, Neil Patrick Harris is awesome!
[sub]-dary[/sub]

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
If he rides on stage on a unicorn and shoots rainbows out of his nostrils in will be legen- Damn.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
manaman said:
I swear NPH hasn't aged since he was in Starship Troopers.
I noticed that the other day too while watching "How I met your Mother". Does anyone know if the VGA's broadcast to Britain on any channels? I want to see how bad people say it is.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
how is this guy gaming related? I would rather if they had Dr Insano.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
joethekoeller said:
Amalith said:
My god! That is incredible, why haven't I ever seen this before? And how come Nathan fillion did that kind of song?
It's Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, it was made during the writer's strike, it has Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day in it...and it was written by Joss Whedon. Fillion plays Captain Hammer, a cocky superhero who faces off against Harris' Dr. Horrible, an ordinary guy trying to become a supervillain. It's very good, the full show is on youtube.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Why doesn't anyone ever bring up Doogie Howser, M.D.? He started that over 10 years before his name re-appeared back on the scene.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Does this mean I have to watch it now? ....Nah.

I will wait for the good bits online.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
joethekoeller said:
Amalith said:
My god! That is incredible, why haven't I ever seen this before? And how come Nathan fillion did that kind of song?
It was part of The commentary for Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Yes, it had a musical commentary.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
AHHHHH... the VGAs

The award ceremony where they pic a game, item, or subject, then make up a catagory for it to win.