Dr Who: Dark Water

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
First part of the big reveal this week and a reasonable scene setter. I was reminded of Orpheus especially with the dream state reference and the Neil Gaiman's version of the story. Also the Sixth Dr story Revelation of the Daleks. Missy's identity was fairly obvious in the end.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have not liked this series, far too much focus on Clara and too many episode have had an ending that would have been exactly the same if the Doctor had never been there in the first place.

HOWEVER while I found this episode to be mostly bad (really don't like Danny either or Captain Boring as I call him) I did like the big twist with Missy.

Also I think Chris Addison was good. Really liked his civil servent/serial killer vibe.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I have not liked this series, far too much focus on Clara and too many episode have had an ending that would have been exactly the same if the Doctor had never been there in the first place.

HOWEVER while I found this episode to be mostly bad (really don't like Danny either or Captain Boring as I call him) I did like the big twist with Missy.

Also I think Chris Addison was good. Really liked his civil servent/serial killer vibe.

Its stolen from Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death, as is the the look of the nethersphere. Well at least the civil servant bit.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
It's a two parter so I won't know if the story as a whole is good or not until the next part. Next part could really improve it or make the whole thing way, way worse. The first part was pretty decent though.

I do like how things turned out with Missy, I also get to enjoy a certain level of smug "aha, I called it."

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Slow beginning, but fairly satisfying towards the end. It shouldn't have taken an entire episode for set-up, though; feels like a waste of time.

Called it that the skeletons were going to be Cybermen.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I generally liked this one, with Danny not being a lead weight on the story for once. But I think "don't cremate me" was played up to more awful than it really came across as.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012

So she's not insane anymore from her prior incarnation, just manic and a little twitchy. Interesting. I wonder if these are the
super-upgraded cybermen from the future, the ones Earth had to black out entire star systems in order to wipe out.
Because normal ones can be taken down by a legionnaire with a sword, or a Celt with a grudge.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I was satisfied with Missy and the Cybermen, but that teaser from the last episode really pissed me off with the bait and switch. You spend all that time presenting this whole Clara betrayal angle, and then casually toss it aside not a minute after the volcano scene ended. Fucking waste of time.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This is now making me thing, weren't some of the people who where taken to 'heaven' from the future on other planets? Am I rememboring things wrong, or is this plot hole #132419428-B that has been created by Moffit?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Zontar said:
This is now making me thing, weren't some of the people who where taken to 'heaven' from the future on other planets? Am I rememboring things wrong, or is this plot hole #132419428-B that has been created by Moffit?
They were in other times/ on other planets but what Missy is and the tech she is using is an easy way to explain that.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I was satisfied with Missy and the Cybermen, but that teaser from the last episode really pissed me off with the bait and switch. You spend all that time presenting this whole Clara betrayal angle, and then casually toss it aside not a minute after the volcano scene ended. Fucking waste of time.
First Rule: The Moffat Lies.

For me, it's part of the fun. There's a whole lot of misdirection and outright fibs going on, which helps preserve some of the surprise. I knew Moffat was lying, the fun is figuring out how :)

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Well as an American viewer this has been a lesson in not liking official BBC pages on Facebook as I had the big twist spoiled for me.

overall I enjoyed the episode, interesting to see how part two goes

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
A bit irked Missy wasn't The Rani.

Also:
How they gonna explain the whole 'End of Time' deal?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Gizmo1990 said:
Zontar said:
They were in other times/ on other planets but what Missy is and the tech she is using is an easy way to explain that.
Seems awfully inefficient if that is the case, and still begs the question 'why is it specifically people around the doctor this season'?

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I was only able to guess who missy was 3/4 of the way through the episode..still great reveal

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I honestly cant say i expected... Him back again. Either ive been missing some subtext or i just didnt care to guess who it was until they just up and hit us with it.

But thats the thing i like about the wham line. It makes so much make sense in retrospect... except how He is back after being most certainly dead a few seasons ago.

Also since timelord gender-swapping is now canon, i guess they will be going with a female doctor after Peter is done.

Silvanus said:
Called it that the skeletons were going to be Cybermen.
Oh come on. It didnt take much to make the connection if you watched last weeks preview. Especially after the dark water tomb explanation.

FunGuy155

Apr 29, 2011
I really liked this episode. While I thought Clara going a bit insane in the beginning was a little OOC, the mausoleum bit was very interesting and the twist with Missy, while people were already predicting it, I enjoyed because it because it's refreshing to have a full on Time-Lord as The Doctor's adversary again. Missy's character is also a lot of fun, eccentric, manipulative, and a brilliant psychopath.(That bit with Chang was a great at showing what she can do.)

Danny, while boring in most episodes, has a nice little scene where he confronts a kid that he killed because he didn't look into the house properly. A little poetic seeing as he himself was killed because he wasn't paying attention.

While everyone saw the Cybermen coming, I enjoyed how they they're using the minds of the dead, trying to get them to willingly delete their emotions, rather than going after the living through force again. I'm not sure if they've done this kind of thing before but its nice to see these guys back as well. Actually, now that I think about it, the only part that I don't like about them are their voices. So them being silent this whole time is a nice bonus.

All in all, great part 1 with a great setup and hopefully a better payoff next week.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Definately a great episode. Science fantasy with a horror vibe at its finest. The "don't cremate me line" (false, but the idea itself...yikes), the Missy reveal, the cybermen (Danny being asked to "delete"...I see what they did there)...yeah. Great stuff.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Boring ep, most of it was filler that went nowhere.

Lava stuff...pointless. Don't cremate me...pointless.

Meh.

OTOH, since there wasn't any real story, there's no rubbish story this time. I'm betting that next week's ep doesn't make sense of it all, but have to wait till then.