Drag queens: Yay or Nay?

thedrunkenmonkey

Jun 27, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Think of it this way: There were two guys in my science class in senior year who said that they were thinking about going to prom as each others dates, as a joke. That is extremely offensive to probably every gay person who has experienced homophobia because it ridicules the idea of same-sex relationships and ignores the negative experiences gay people have because of prejudice. A lot of people in my class, including my teacher, thought it was offensive as well, yet how would they feel if they wanted to wear a dress out of jest? Not because they like dresses, but because they think its a joke somehow? I think that most would react as if it were a joke, and most likely most if not all opposition would be due to the fact not because its demeaning the troubles of another person, but because they'd be walking around with a hairy chest in a dress and would look disgusting.
Why the hell is that a problem for anyone but those guys? For all you know they wanted to go because they wanted to go to prom and not have to deal with the whole bullshit massive night out that prom has somehow become. You CHOSE to be offended by their statement. You didn't ask. You didn't find out. And maybe, just maybe, they're actually gay and tiptoeing around it by going, "fuck, I don't want to come out, but my friend is gay too, and maybe we'll just ha-ha it".

Maybe that's not the situation. But I'll never know, and it doesn't sound like you, or anyone else in that room took the time to find out. If two guys going to prom as each others' dates, as a joke or not, is such an issue, then perhaps the issue isn't with the two guys. Maybe it has a lot more to do with your school's culture.

Did you think of that? Obviously not, Mars. Mostly because you're focused on what YOU are offended by, not the internal workings and meanings of those people. It's more important that you're not offended than it is for these two guys to do what they want, which is the paradox posed by this question.

"I don't like it, therefore it's wrong and it shouldn't happen because it offends me."

Okay, so it offends you. Be offended. Feel free to be offended. Just don't expect anyone to change their choices to make you feel less offended.

No, not everybody. But most people. And here's the thing about that, "most people" comprises the majority of the population, which makes living more difficult for transpeople.
Here's a newsflash: this applies to everyone regardless of their sexual identity or gender issues. Most people are not me, therefore most people have vision different than mine. That's not unique to trans people. Do what most people do in this situation: COPE.

If you're even going to attempt to talk about transsexualism, you're going to have to learn the difference between "sex" and "gender", otherwise you'll never even be in the position to understand.
Pick one:
Biological versus mental
Gender is a choice, sex is biological
Gender is biological, sex is mental
Gender and sex are interchangeable
Sex is the act of sexual gratification, gender is the Plug A fits into Slot B
Any and all of the above because I refuse to define it
Any and all of the above because it's easier to make it nebulous than it is to establish my theory and just argue about what I like

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Jarimir said:
It's rather presumptuous of you to say I idolize Dan Savage. You don't know me.

For me he falls into a rather broad category. He is human. I accept that he has flaws a weaknesses. I understand that I wont agree with everything he says or does. I do like him, because from what I've seen I agree with most of what he says or does; whereas I would understandably like him less if I didn't agree with his words and actions.

I do think his choice of words was unfortunate. It was short sighted and does ignore heterosexual kids that are abused. But, they are only words and only applicable to the instant or context they were uttered, unless he starts a campaign to somehow take resources from heterosexual support groups in order to divert them to his "It Gets Better" project.

Maybe it will help if I agree that Dan Savage has come off as an arrogant douche at times. Maybe you can pass some sort of sundry judgment on me because I don't expect too much (or more) from people.
Yeah, sorry, I was slightly inebriated when I wrote that, so I probably read a bit much into it. I like his actions, but not his words. I don't think you have to like someone to think what they do is right or good, and my complaints about him are purely personal.

I dunno, there's not much else to say here haha.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
thedrunkenmonkey said:
told status:
[]not told
[]told
[x]told lang syne
thedrunkenmonkey said:
[x]the told and the restless
You... You're a special kind of awesome, and I think I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

*Citizen Kane applause*

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
an annoyed writer said:
I dunno, have you been disowned by your family because they think you're a drag queen, and despite all of your protests, they won't listen to what you have to say?
Now, now, you know that I'm not a drag queen. A little civility would be nice.

Not only have I lost friends and family over being trans, I have been assaulted, including being knifed. Which you know.

They classify a need as a want.
They do that for queers, too. Do you hate homosexuals in general, as well?

And when someone takes the spotlight and in some ways cast you in a negative light, and when you try to say otherwise to no avail, you're not exactly going to have a lot of respect for that person.
That's crap, and I honestly think you know it. Hence the preamble about how horrible you had it. Yes, people are fucking intolerant. And you know what? I've lost my share of friends over this (something you know) and still get so stressed out about dealing with my parents that suicide seems a valid alternative (which you ALSO know). That doesn't mean I feel I have a free pass to blame another group for one group's intolerance. I doubt any drag queen in the world has ever wronged you. You know who did? The majority. And instead of actually taking it to them, you're doing the exact wrong thing and blaming another group.

Just like homosexuals do to us. Do you like it when gays treat us negatively simply because we "make them look bad?" Or is that different because ponies?

but you can't tell me I don't have a legitimate grievance or two that might cause me to do so.
Actually, yes I can. Because you have no legitimate grievance against drag queens. The damage may have been done, but it wasn't the queens who did it. There is nobody to blame but the people who actually wronged you, and they are not drag queens. Unless your whole family is drag queens, then maybe.

And you know what? If we removed the stereotypes held by the people who are making these prejudicial assumptions, then there would be no problems. And the drag queens won't have changed at all. Because they're not doing anything wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
Huh! You learn something new everyday!
You can't tell me what to do!

...Errr...Wait. That's not what you meant. Ummm....

User name probably doesn't help. :p

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Huh! You learn something new everyday!
You can't tell me what to do!

...Errr...Wait. That's not what you meant. Ummm....

User name probably doesn't help. :p
Yes I can! You learn!

It's pretty misleading, alright. Then again, I'm not even a scientist so I can't point fingers. :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
Yes I can! You learn!
NEVER!

It's pretty misleading, alright. Then again, I'm not even a scientist so I can't point fingers. :D
You're not? Damn it, my legion of Ecapists relied on you being a scientist. Preferably mad. I was going to clarify that before I made you a lynchpin in my world domination scheme.

Oh well, back to plan B: army of ferrets.

There's actually some level of method to the username, but the explanation is long and boring. If for some reason, you're curious after that, I could PM you the details. It might...I don't know. Serve as a good sedative or something. The short version is that my real name is not Zachary. Like Mystyk Spiral, I've been long meaning to change the name, but lack better options. Also, I'm not a amaranth either. Though I am stubborn and hard to kill....

MarsAtlas said:
You failed to answer the question. Would you consider getting disowned by your entire family because of a misconception "an irritant"?
I misread that one. I can sort of answer that by responding to the next one, so let's move on.

You clearly misunderstand. Because drag queens cross-dress because they want to cross-dress, they assume the same for a transsexual person - that a transsexual person wants to cross-dress rather than having a pathological need to change their body.
I actually think you're the one who's clearly misunderstanding. The point I'm making is that the same thing happens to homosexuals with no excuse (need as want) and transsexuals are even mistaken for homosexuals quite frequently by people as well. Both points are actually along the line of the point you have needlessly explained, and my question remains valid.

For the record, I have lived this shit, which was the point I was making in the first bit. I have put up with all sorts of crap with only the very specifics as differences, being considered everything from a crossdesser to a queen to a flat-out queer, and I don't hold animosity towards the people who didn't do it to me.

I was hoping people could merely infer that last part, but it appears it needs to be stated.

And there are a lot of people who are accepting and understanding of homosexuality who are ignorant and/or intolerant of anything trans.
Why, I've never heard of such a thing.

...Do I need sarcasm tags there?

Answer this - why does the majority think this way?
The same people they think black people are lazy, gays are campy, lesbians are butch, and gypsies steal.

A more direct origin still doesn't have anything to do with anything done by drag queens, so that's pointless.

She's not blaming drag for every transphobic thing in existence - she's simply saying that a lot of people, maybe even the majority, observe drag, and they then presume that transsexualism and drag are the same thing. This can cause problems.
At the very least, she is regarding them with hostility. And I've been here before, so I've got history on my side.

Here's an example: Imagine a teacher who comes into school dressed in drag. That is not going to be tolerated for a lot of reasons, such as creating a deliberate distraction by the way they dress. We know that a person wouldn't do that, but just imagine that it did. Teacher would be in hot water. Now that person is a transsexual, maybe even passing, and they try to teach a class. People who fail to understand the difference won't care if you're post-op, if you have tits or had a masectomy, because they will assume that the way you're dressing yourself is for sexual gratification, rather than because it actually fits the district dress code for teachers.
The fact that you said "for sexual gratification" points to another problem here, and maybe even your own ignorance on the subject (I don't know).

The problem here is still third party inference, and "sexual gratification" fits neither group's criteria. You're describing one element of fetishistic transvestism. That's done primarily by heterosexuals and primarily in private. and it's not the only form of heterosexual transvestism, so....

I would personally hope you would keep your examples straight (absolutely no pun intended), but whatever. I would certainly be annoyed that people would confuse the two, but that's got nothing to do with queens, crossdressers, or whatever. It's got to do with the people who don't bother to understand what they're talking about.

Of course, context is important. Something that you might want to remember next time....

Problem here is that LGBT shouldn't all be latched together.
Again, you misunderstand. I'm pointing out the same behaviour, not saying the people are the same. And since sexual and gender identity do have similar theorised causes and even presentation, it's hard or even impossible to untangle them. But that's not even remotely relevant to my point. Besides, contextually that makes no sense to bring up. She's talking about drag queens, who are not trans. They're gay. Someone already crossed that barrier. In fact, this very thread crosses that barrier by nature. As far as being a unified community, that's still not relevant to my point. However, I personally believe that we should be a unified community. I won't go into that because this will already be too long to begin with, but still.

The only reason they are attached to each other is an effort to better fight the legal battles against bigots who can't tell the difference anyways.
But that is false. There's multiple reasons, including similar regard and treatment from the general population.

Another misunderstanding.
No, she was pretty clear. I was pretty clear.

but they are the cause.
You can remove drag queens from the equation and still have the same problem. They are not the cause, they are an excuse.

And you know what? A woman being present is necessary for her to get raped. It doesn't mean she's the cause, but if we're using the same logic, then it would mean it.

And before you misinterpret me again, I'm not trivialising rape or mocking women. You don't need to tell me how rape and homosexuality are different, or rape and transsexuality, or rape and cross dressing are different. Doesn't change a thing. Drag queens aren't the cause of the misunderstanding any more than women are the cause of rape.

I don't know why your mom has trouble understanding the difference, but she's still the problem. Not gays, not drag queens, not transsexuals, not transvestites, not the Dhali Llama. And if it was actually some drag queen who misinformed her, it's still the fault of that specific person. And you know what? Same with terrorists. Why should we blame anyone for 9-11 (based on your comment about slamming planes into buildings) but the people who did it and the people who planned it?

It's also not justification for a general grievance. Maybe a General Grievous....

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
it doesn't necessarily bother me, but at the same time i get frustrated and a little insulted when i'm called a drag queen, as I'm also a transgirl. It's probably what has lead to me dressing in a very gender neutral manner.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Relish in Chaos said:
I'm extending this question to both cisgender and transgender people. Do you think the whole concept of drag queens, and drag queens themselves, make fun of transgender people, or are offensive in any way?
Oh God no, oh no. This is one of the worst things affecting the whole transgender situation because it is ruining all kinds of gender and gender-bending expression. It is actually policing gender roles rather than helping to create a world more healthy for transgender people.

TV shows are getting taken down because of this mentality. Crossdressing for fun is in no way offensive or harmful to transgender people. I'm sorry, but people need to realize when crossdressing isn't meant to mock or demean people.

People just need to learn the difference between presentation and gender identity. There's a difference between genderqueer and drag queen and transwoman and all of this. Men have every much of a right to women's clothing as transwomen and ciswomen.
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
And this is coming from someone who supports the LGBT movement.
Because it's better than the alternative.
an annoyed writer said:
As a transgender individual, I find drag queens to somewhat of an irritant because it kinda trivializes the problems we go through. Much of the time when you say that you're trans, some people seem to think that we're all drag queens or something and that can get quite annoying when you're just trying to get on with your life and get things done, because instead of a person with legitimate problems you're viewed as some sort of sexual fetishist. I never found them particularly humorous or amusing either, and those specific bugs bunny cartoons usually bothered me more than they made me laugh.
So, people can't have fun with gender-bending and are a problem because it "trivializes" being transgender for you?

Because some people lump you in with drag queens? It isn't the fault of drag queens that people lump you in with them.

People should have a right to express their gender feelings freely, regardless of whether they're cisgender, transwomen, transmen, genderqueer, agender, third gender, androgyne, drag king, drag queen, or ect.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
If you are offended at something that exists mostly for laughs, you probably are taking life too seriously.
I do disagree with this common mentality on the internet that a joke doesn't mean anything.

Every joke has a message. And sometimes those messages can help to promote racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic norms.

That being said, neither drag kings or drag queens are a mockery of transgender people.