Dragon Age 2 warning

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Someone told me that in Dragon Age two the default mode of attack requires you to mash the attack button for each attack.

What they meant to say was that there are no options for this, and that you are literally forced to hit A every 3 seconds.

It doesn't seem like too huge a deal, but it basically single-handedly ruined the game for me. Well that + the inability to zoom out or look over the battlefield to plan.

I'm not going to get into the story or characters or my opinion on the game, just a quick PSA for those who have been mislead.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I read on the da wiki forums that bioware planned to incorporate auto attack but for reasons unknown left it out. They may be working on a patch to add it in i'm not sure. keep your fingers crossed. If this caused you to pass the game over I really urge you to reconsider your position. It really is a good game and is very much like its predecessor. If you liked da:eek: i really can't see how you wouldn't like this game.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Well that isn't fair at all. You didn't mention that the PC version doesn't make you press A every 3 seconds or considering anything similar.

Dec 14, 2009
To be honest, this doesn't bother me, because I tend to press attack buttons quite often anyway (like in the Origins, even though it makes no difference), it makes me feel more involved in the combat.

I like to keep my hands busy.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Console does not have any auto attack yet. But then again, consoles are made for a bit more button mashing than PCs are. Makes you feel a bit more involved.

PC should have it though, from what I've heard/read.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I don't understand how that could ruin the game for you, you can still be smart with it, planning moves in advance.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I didn't know that there was no auto-attack on consoles.

Then again, I didn't know people played Dragon Age on consoles either.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
A lot of people complain that button mashing is a bad thing. I might just be wierd, but I prefer it that way.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I don't get it is Dage2 Good or bad? I hear one thing say it's bad and i'm like oh no I won't buy it, but then another thing will say it's good and i'll be like hmm maybe I should... I just don't know what to do!

Hydro Imp

May 30, 2009
mireko said:

More a comment on yourself than anything else.

I had totally forgot that DA:O had the auto attack till now, I just used to mash the buttons anyways, don't see the point of pressing a button then sitting back for 5 waiting for the battle to end, maybe pressing a special attack now and then, no point in my opinion, leave the console version as it is, let the PC crowd have their lazy play methods, I like to be involved in my games

amyous

Jan 8, 2011
Ralphfromdk said:
Console does not have any auto attack yet. But then again, consoles are made for a bit more button mashing than PCs are. Makes you feel a bit more involved.

PC should have it though, from what I've heard/read.
I've only played the demo on pc, but it had auto attack. And the ability to zoom.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Random Fella said:
I don't get it is Dage2 Good or bad? I hear one thing say it's bad and i'm like oh no I won't buy it, but then another thing will say it's good and i'll be like hmm maybe I should... I just don't know what to do!
I think a lot of people are just sequel ranting mostly. If you like Bioware's previous stuff, (namely DA:O) it is a safe purchase. They streamlined stuff from Origins>DA2 so a lot of people are ranting. What you have here is a case of ME1>ME2. Neither are bad games but to hear some people talk, one of those two ruined the series.

one of them

Jan 16, 2010
The Escapist's review says you can turn auto-attack on in options.
You don't have to hit any buttons like that on PC do you?

BourneGamer

Mar 18, 2010
mireko said:

Yeah. It's those people they made DA2 for this time. Not the computer users they made the first one for. Something I personally find quite annoying.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Random Fella said:
I would suggest reading reviews by actual critics. Not for scores, but to get a general idea of how the game plays and how it's different from DA:O. Fan reviews are extremely subjective and fairly useless.

timmy8 said:
mireko said:

More a comment on yourself than anything else.

I had totally forgot that DA:O had the auto attack till now, I just used to mash the buttons anyways, don't see the point of pressing a button then sitting back for 5 waiting for the battle to end, maybe pressing a special attack now and then, no point in my opinion, leave the console version as it is, let the PC crowd have their lazy play methods, I like to be involved in my games
Well, there's always the possibility that I was joking.

On a more serious note I prefer having auto-attack on since it allows me to control my party in a more tactical way. It's not "pressing a button then sitting back for 5 minutes", you use the auto-attack, pausing and micromanagement to make sure your characters are doing what they're supposed to. In a lot of battles in DA:O, this meant that I controlled every action every character in my party took. How's that for uninvolved?

I can understand that play style not appealing to you, but don't act like it's somehow inferior. People have a legitimate reason to be annoyed about this being excluded on consoles. Then again, if they wanted to play this game like that then I'm not sure why they bought the console version in the first place.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I've played it, it doesn't bother me. I'm used to rapidly hammering a button to attack.