Dragon Age 3 Will Blend Best Parts of the Series, Says BioWare

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"What we need to do as developers is take that feedback from both sets of fans to heart and see about marrying that in future games in the Dragon Age franchise,"
How dare he! Marriage is between a man and a woman not a game and its fan base feedback! We must amend this to our constitutions and other such legal documents around the world! /sarcasm

OT:
I think its great in theory but you won't catch me holding my breath to see how it turns out.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
DA:O was fun, but did have its flaws (combat wise, and that god awful Mage Tower dreamworld), and DA2 was very ok. The story was very disconnected, but when it was good, it was good:

My mouth literally dropped when Anders blew up the Chantry

Yet I found the combat far superior (not the random waves of enemies part, but you know what I mean).

So merging DA:O with some of the improved, stylistic, fast paced combat of DA2 sounds like a good idea to me.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I loved both games. I just hope with DA3 they make it more of a whole country instead of just 1 city. Also they need to not end the game like they did in DA2 and say they will finish it in DLC. Finish the game, then release DLC to fill in blanks, or do something akin to Witch Hunt/Awakening.

I liked combat in DA2 over DA:O just because it's more fluid. I don't like waiting for something to happen, especially if it's something like a melee attack. I didn't mind that DA2 focused solely on one character, I love Hawke. Though they really shouldn't listen to there fans too much. Fans are never going to agree on anything ever, and you will end up disappointing everyone.

blasmeister

May 30, 2011
Agree with most of what's posted here and am cautiously optimistic bout DA3. Don't think it's been mentioned but DA2's inventory system was a welcome improvement over DA:O's one - having to look up every damn item to be sure it was junk before selling it was a real chore, and the DA2 crafting system, while not something I used extensively, was interesting and creative. While the being able to shove any gear on anyone was good in theory, keeping 8 different characters constantly kitted up to wear the best gear and holding onto alternate items for everyone got a bit too much at times, so the streamlining system was nice, although it did make for disappointments when you got unusable off-class loot. Hopefully they can come up with a solution to this, and of course, take their time and release it only when it's done.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So you're going to completely ignore DA2, pretend it never happened and make DA3 a not shit sequel?

Oh.....you probably mean you're actually going to listen to the bought-and-paid-for-by-EA/Bioware reviews and make the game more like DA2 and just try sprinkling a few DA:O things on it to try and appease people.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Cue everyone saying that nothing DA 2 was good.

OT; I haven't played 2, I've only played about an hour of Origins, but from what I've seen, neither are my sort of thing. Origins because it hurt my eyes with it's browness, 2 because it looks just like Medieval Effect 2: Stupid Smashy Combat Edition.
Nothing in YOU is good!     *shakes fist Homer-style*

I'd leave that joke right by it's lonesome, but sadly, I think it would be too short and get flagged. So now I'm just gonna sit here awkwardly & whistle a bit. *whistles a happy tune*

Oh, while I'm here, YOU'RE a stupid smashy combat edition!     MmmmHMMMMM.

Almost makes me wish Bioware had some kind of magic search engine that could ferret out every bad thing every individual has ever posted about DA2/ME2, and then auto-email that person:

------------------------------------------
"YOU'RE A <insert DA/ME insult here>!

Love, your friends at Bioware."

That would be so awesome. *sigh*&nbsp; &nbsp; Ok, I hit my character minimum. TOODLES!

Dec 27, 2010
The.Bard said:
Cue everyone saying that nothing DA 2 was good.

OT; I haven't played 2, I've only played about an hour of Origins, but from what I've seen, neither are my sort of thing. Origins because it hurt my eyes with it's browness, 2 because it looks just like Medieval Effect 2: Stupid Smashy Combat Edition.
Nothing in YOU is good! &nbsp; &nbsp; *shakes fist Homer-style*

I'd leave that joke right by it's lonesome, but sadly, I think it would be too short and get flagged. So now I'm just gonna sit here awkwardly & whistle a bit. *whistles a happy tune*

Oh, while I'm here, YOU'RE a stupid smashy combat edition! &nbsp; &nbsp; MmmmHMMMMM.

Almost makes me wish Bioware had some kind of magic search engine that could ferret out every bad thing every individual has ever posted about DA2/ME2, and then auto-email that person:

"YOU'RE A <insert DA/ME insult here>!

Love, your friends at Bioware."

That would be so awesome. *sigh*&nbsp; &nbsp; Ok, I hit my character minimum. TOODLES!
I was making fun of the easily annoyed Bioware fanboys. And I didn't say there was anything wrong with super-smashy combat. In fact, from what I've seen of it, I would probably prefer DA2 to Origins. So; http://www.soundsnap.com/node/110798

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Zhukov said:
Just spend a bit more time on the next one, okay guys?
That's pretty much my thought as well.

The only real issue DA2 had was that it was rushed, which is something Bioware themselves even admitted to. Pretty much every single consistent complaint about the game could have been addressed by Bioware having a longer development period.

I love both DA:O and DA2 and can't wait to see where the series goes next.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I really wouldn't mind if they just made the combat a little more difficult and tactical and took out the repeated areas. I would also like your decisions to be more relevant.

I massively prefer Origins over DA2 but I still like both games. They should spend more time on the game this time around, it really seemed rushed.

They need to rework the healer mage also and give them more to do if they are in 'healing stance'

I really find the graphics terrible for this generation also, I appreciate the art style but the trees on Sundermount look like a Christmas tree drawn by a child... and I'm running on max settings and dx11.

They simply need to put more effort in.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I was making fun of the easily annoyed Bioware fanboys. And I didn't say there was anything wrong with super-smashy combat. In fact, from what I've seen of it, I would probably prefer DA2 to Origins. So; http://www.soundsnap.com/node/110798
Sorry, I realize in hindsight that I made the perfect jokes and didn't really say who it was intended for. Not you. I was mimicking one of them. I have but one caveat for your argument. They're Bioware Anti-Fanboys. They are the BAF, and all they do is baffling. *badoom TISCH!*

They buy all the games, play and hate them, and then when the sequel comes in, they look back and praise the game they hated two years prior, saying that the new game is nothing like the old one.

Wicked Men. Servants of Sauron. We haaaaaates them foreverrrrrrrrrrs!!!!

- A real Bioware fanboy (We loves Biowares! Nice masters!)

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
CM156 said:
Well, that's good. I enjoyed both of them to be honest.

The combat felt better in DA:II while the story better in Origins. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the series.
Someone else who isn't a screeching whiner, I wholeheartedly agree.

AndyFromMonday said:
The only thing Dragon Age 2 did was show gamers just how full of shit EA is. I will not be purchasing Dragon Age 3 and I advise everyone to do the same.
So I can add DA3 to the list of things I will laugh at others for "boycotting"? Outstanding.

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
While I believe that DA:O was the better game, there were some things that DA2 did that I preferred (and I liked both games A LOT).

DA2 Improvements:

-Talking protagonist with a name. No more awkward "the Grey Warden" or "the Hero of Ferelden" dialogue dances. Hawke looked and felt more like a person, which I think helped the story (actual story is another matter...).

-Lack of "Put 4 Ranks in Persuasion to WIN at Dialogue". DA:O had a gaping flaw in its storytelling sections. Whenever a dialogue option showed up with a (Persuade) tag next to it, you knew it was THE BEST option. There was never a chance of persuading someone wrongly. The lack of "win" in dialogue made it murkier and more believable (especially when the story was supposed to be murky and Hawke unsure).

-Combat. I <3 some 3.5 turn based actions, but DA2 had a more flowing, responsive combat system. Plus, class combos, although unwieldy, let everyone get in on what had been a Mage-only metagame in the first DA.

-Art Design. DA2 had a unified art design to its world, it's characters, and its gear. There should have been MORE, but it looked unique, and wasn't just "generic D&D fantasy world" in its stylistic choices.

-Varric. And Bianca.

And to beat a dead horse, here's the biggest things I think DA:O did better:

-Story. My God, the story. The sad part is, I think Hawke's story had the POTENTIAL to be the far superior. Origins was a very classic "unite the realm to fend off evil" D&D campaign. Great fun, well executed, and a throwback to nights in the basement, but it wasn't anything really "wow" inducing. DA2's story of a rise-to-power, the costs and choices that built that rise, and the rubble of those who were climbed over... that had a lot of drama potential. Unfortunately, the three-act structure felt broken. The underlying malaise of Kirkwall's fade problem never really rose to a boil (and it should have!), Flemeth was a red herring lead to another storyline (same with the fricking mirror), and the second act climax felt much more like the game-changing conclusion to the characters' stories than the actual third act, which just kind of happened. With more time to build upon the flaws in Kirkwall's very nature, the encroaching corruption in the fade, the mirrors, and in lyrium itself, the growing pressure of madness inside the city... there could have been a truly EPIC end to the campaign. Instead, the third act fizzled hard and failed to unite the disparate plot threads of the first and second acts. (Wow, that was a small essay!)

-Companions. I don't mean quality of writing here, I mean quantity. There simply wasn't enough dialogue and interplay with the party members in DA2. I love all the companions, but there was a lot of ME2-style "Sorry, I'm calibrating" going on, which speaks of lack of time. Also, let me gear them. Srsly.

-Reused dungeons and a tiny world. Really? Did you think no one would notice? We're playing an RPG here. We're already obsessive-compulsive nerds. We're going to notice.

So, yeah. Go ahead and bring over some of the ideas from DA2, but do them with the polish and scope of DA:O, and I think there's a great game to be had!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
As long as they give the game a longer development time than just a mere year, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

I liked Dragon Age 2, and as far as I'm concerned it was worth the money I paid for it. But you could tell the game was rushed way too much, and suffered because of it. I don't know if EA or BioWare is to blame for that --or both-- but after the reaction the game got, I doubt they'll make the same mistake twice.

At least I hope they don't, because I'm tired of the incessant whining. Criticism is fine, but the over the top tirades need to stop.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Translation:

"Yeah, we kinda fucked up with DA 2, and have no idea how to salvage the series. Mother forgive me."

I'm nevertheless curious just what they'll try to do.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I just hope they will put a bit more time into DA3... maybe give it a year more, you know, to polish stuff out, to add some more varied locations, and like, not cut half of the story through brief, drawn, cut scenes no matter how stylish they are... Yeah. Oh and works some on the "moral" choices, please?

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
ImmortalDrifter said:
Someone else who isn't a screeching whiner, I wholeheartedly agree.
Or maybe some people don't agree with you, imagine that.
Dragon age origins was a solid rpg, not great, but it was the foundation for a series, it could've been builded upon and you would've had a fantastic series. With dragon age 2 instead of building on the first, they took a sledgehammer to it.

Apr 28, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Muzyka said that feedback from fans was very important to BioWare, and that a lot of fans of Origins had been upset by the rather radical changes that Dragon Age 2 had made to the series. He said that there had been a "misalignment" of expectations, which was something that BioWare planned to address. But he said that the studio also had an obligation to the fans that had really enjoyed Dragon Age 2, and that it couldn't ignore one group in favor of the other.
So then why did they basically ignore the people who loved the first game with DA2?