Dragon Age Comes With Free DLC, Armor

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Yay! I think this kind of reward is leaps and bounds greater then the "pre-order it" rewards.

"Pre-order it" rewards seem like a simple tactic for people to blindly buy a game off of hype and not allow them to wait for reviews. Said tactic could only be thought-up by the dastardly villains is what i say.

lordgazoontite

Jul 21, 2009
it is starting to look like a lot of companies are going to pack in dlc so that you buy the game new. i like that because its usually the bigger games that are doing it and happen to be the ones i buy day 1.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
shMerker said:
If people are waiting to buy your games used it's because they don't see your games as being worth the full retail price.
I don't agree with this. Many times I buy used not because I'm unwilling to pay the full retail price, but because it's the *same game* for *cheaper*. Furthermore you lost me when you said that lower trade-in means higher price, which lowers peoples' inclination to buy used.

I mean, some of your arguments don't make sense. If someone wasn't going to buy the game and truly isn't interested, but is intrigued by marketing and indeed goes ahead and buys the game, only to be disappointed and ends up selling the game to the secondary market, that's one sale for EA and one more used title in the secondary market. That might be one more strike against EA, but add it to the heap. The only person who potentially loses out is Bioware, who isn't able to say much about the above situation anyway. That and the used consumer, but hey they are paying less in the first place. In combination with the free DLC, it's more incentive to buy new, which, if anything will drive the price point of used sales downwards.

I also don't really understand the opposition to DLC, and especially free DLC. I just don't follow the logic of, "everything they develop before the release date of a game is meant to be in the game, therefore I deserve it as part of buying the game". That's....not true. I mean, there's a subtle line between lobotomizing a game and extra bonus stuff, but essentially the argument is that you would be happier if you got less and the developer worked less. This makes no sense, and even less so when it's *free*.

Apr 28, 2008
Who would pirate a Bioware game?

Hell, I was already getting this, and the free content is just a nice addition.

But if I get Dragon Age on PC, will I be able to use the Mass Effect armor for the 360 version of Mass Effect 2?

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
I think this is more directed at the used games market, not piracy.

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
It about time developers started giving us the whole bloody game in a box!
I couldn't agree more, this seems like far more incentive to actually run out and buy the game than massive protection systems that really just make games more trouble for the person that actually went out to purchase it properly than the torrent/ p2p swarms. Personally I've always found p2p to be far more useful for distribution of open source and creative commons materials. Unfortunately the entire network is just grotesquely abused and therefore is not seen to have any legitimate purposes at all to most people.

pneuma08 said:
I also don't really understand the opposition to DLC, and especially free DLC. I just don't follow the logic of, "everything they develop before the release date of a game is meant to be in the game, therefore I deserve it as part of buying the game". That's....not true. I mean, there's a subtle line between lobotomizing a game and extra bonus stuff, but essentially the argument is that you would be happier if you got less and the developer worked less. This makes no sense, and even less so when it's *free*.
Once again I agree, L4D2 comes to mind. There has been an enormous movement by owners of the original left 4 dead stating that they have been conned out of their money and time by the producers of the game. When they didn't receive a massive amount of additional free content after the game's release. Regardless we all know that 90% of the ones complaining will be among the first to purchase the game, but the very fact that they complain in the first place is kind of mystifying to me. If you want new and additional content you should be willing to pay for it. Let's look at it fairly; someone invested time, money, and effort into creating that content. The very fact you are looking at it in the first place is a good indication that you think the original game was worth your purchase and you have enjoyed it. I mean hell people pay monthly for WoW even though new content is basically non-existent outside of the expansion packs that cost ... even more money.

"why can't we all just get along"

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
And this is going to stop piracy how? Dont they relize we-errr... I mean, THEY- can pirate DLC too?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Sweet! I've already pre-ordered DA anyway, so this is just a nice bonus. Thanks BioWare!

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
pneuma08 said:
shMerker said:
If people are waiting to buy your games used it's because they don't see your games as being worth the full retail price.
I don't agree with this. Many times I buy used not because I'm unwilling to pay the full retail price, but because it's the *same game* for *cheaper*. Furthermore you lost me when you said that lower trade-in means higher price, which lowers peoples' inclination to buy used.
Sorry, I sort of made a mess of this when I said it the first time. First, what I'm saying is you pay, what, $60 for the game? When you trade it in you recoup some of that. Your net loss is $60 minus whatever your trade-in value ends up being. I'm assuming that used game sellers are going to give a trade-in value about $15 lower because of the missing DLC voucher, thus increasing your net loss by $15.

Also, I'm not so much speaking to the people who go to buy a game and discover that there is a used copy for cheaper, but those who search out deals and even wait around for used copies to surface to avoid paying full price for these games. The reason stores like GameStop exist and rake in so much money is that there are a lot of gamers who feel that their games aren't ultimately worth the money that publishers charge for them.

I mean, some of your arguments don't make sense. If someone wasn't going to buy the game and truly isn't interested, but is intrigued by marketing and indeed goes ahead and buys the game, only to be disappointed and ends up selling the game to the secondary market, that's one sale for EA and one more used title in the secondary market. That might be one more strike against EA, but add it to the heap. The only person who potentially loses out is Bioware, who isn't able to say much about the above situation anyway. That and the used consumer, but hey they are paying less in the first place. In combination with the free DLC, it's more incentive to buy new, which, if anything will drive the price point of used sales downwards.
Exactly, lower used price means lower trade-in value which means higher net loss for anyone who buys the game and then resells it. You're right that the used game customers probably don't lose much. The resale price is probably going to reflect the missing DLC, so that works out even. There is the potential for feeling ripped off, though, if it isn't made clear to them that the used version and the new version are materially different from each other.

Well for starters it isn't free [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TANSTAAFL]. Given that, as well as the fact the content is ready, it seems like it would be best for the customer if they just packaged it on the disc rather than force them to go through whatever redemption process is required to get it.

And you're correct that this will probably net EA some profits in the short run that they wouldn't have otherwise. My argument is that it will be at the expense of customer goodwill which will cause fewer sales for future games. The goal should not be to monetize disappointed customers, but to avoid disappointing them in the first place.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
This is nothing. The Gothic games came with hundreds of hours of DLC content when you bought the games. Armor, swords, missions. All sorts of stuff.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
shMerker said:
I'm assuming that used game sellers are going to give a trade-in value about $15 lower because of the missing DLC voucher, thus increasing your net loss by $15.
Having worked at one of those used game sellers in the past, we never lowered the trade-in value based on missing dlc, coupons or whatever else the developers/publishers stuffed into a game box. Trade-in values started at a set amount below full price and then continued to increase or decrease on some crazy formula of rarity, demand and supply. We also didn't discount the used price either. For example, Phantasy Star Online would still be sold used despite you no longer being able to play it online, arguably the entire content of the title.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
woah! This maybe just about enough to get me to buy this game... *sigh* need money first :(

Edit: Oh my god, I'm very exited now!

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
The following are much better for selling your game and not having it pirated:

Free LAN play - If I have 3 computers and want to install it on all three and payed for it then I should be able to.

Reasonable Price - many games are not worth 50$ and more reasonable prices like 40$-30$ have proven to ensure success (orange box, sins etc etc)

No CD required to play..

Cogzwell

Jul 10, 2008
I really hope Dragon Age Origins is what Drakensang should have been (don't trust independent euro RPGs, it was fun but the combat sucked and it was to adventury), although at this point its riding a free wave because of the fact its so cool due to its blood and sex. I don't like a game in which the philosophy is "Sex Sells" (tm) by Mr.Gore and Mrs. Titties

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
Hm, free-what-would-otherwise-be-DLC just for buying the game legally?

Damn it.

Not that this isn't good and all, but looking at the release date, this puts me in a bad position for buying games this September through November. Then again, a lot of this could probably wait 'til Christmas, I should be sated for a while.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
I bet most of the used copies will include the (unused) DLC code; people without online will just pass it along when they sell it used. Might be good to keep people from pirating though... unless the DLC gets pirated, too.

Overall, though, a solid effort and certainly better than extra DRM.

Edit: unless, of course, you think of it as EA holding some of the game ransom. But it's possible (since it is in the form of redeemable codes) that the DLC isn't done yet. When I got Civilization Revolution it came with a code for some extra Wonders, but you couldn't redeem it until they were done working on them.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Slycne said:
shMerker said:
I'm assuming that used game sellers are going to give a trade-in value about $15 lower because of the missing DLC voucher, thus increasing your net loss by $15.
Having worked at one of those used game sellers in the past, we never lowered the trade-in value based on missing dlc, coupons or whatever else the developers/publishers stuffed into a game box. Trade-in values started at a set amount below full price and then continued to increase or decrease on some crazy formula of rarity, demand and supply. We also didn't discount the used price either. For example, Phantasy Star Online would still be sold used despite you no longer being able to play it online, arguably the entire content of the title.
I suppose I should expect this since I've seen similar gaffs like promo discs of demos being sold as full games. But I wasn't so much thinking that resellers would take account of the difference and adjust their price so much as customers who are aware of the difference are going to be more wary of the used version and drive down it's price through lack of demand. The net result is pretty much the same.