Dragon Age Comes With Free DLC, Armor

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
shMerker said:
And you're correct that this will probably net EA some profits in the short run that they wouldn't have otherwise. My argument is that it will be at the expense of customer goodwill which will cause fewer sales for future games. The goal should not be to monetize disappointed customers, but to avoid disappointing them in the first place.
Goodwill? EA? I'm sorry, you lost me there.

Joking aside, any amount of hype will result in *some* people being disappointed. Really, it's a question of buyer beware, and I'm not entirely convinced that said buyers would blame the larger companies for their screw-up. As in, I can't imagine such a thing impacting the sales of Madden 2011 or Need for Speed: "This time it's FASTER" or the latest Sims expansion, at least not in any substantial way. Colloquially, I think this sort of thing just adds a coat of (probably much-needed) cynicism regarding hype itself, and perhaps the IP (which they shouldn't have bothered with in the first place), rather than the publishers. But then again, I could be wrong.

Also, when I say, "free" I of course mean free to the consumer. In essence, the publisher and/or developer pick up the tab, or they profit from it in some other fashion, perhaps even simply as incentive for new consumers to buy the game, broadening their consumer base and priming for expansions and a sequel, or getting people to register in order to profit from their information.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
This isn't DLC in the sense we've come to expect it, it's an incentive to buy the game new, instead of renting it, pirating it, or picking it up used. That's it. BioWare does have plenty of DLC planned for Dragon Age, believe me, but this has a different purpose.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
(as others have stated) I don't think this has much to do with piracy at all.

Bioware have found a way to provide a different version of the game to those buying used then those buying new. You can "upgrade" your used copy for 15$ or just live without the extra content provided in the new version. Seems like a fairly innovative method really.

Of cause, this is another challenge for pirates which would discourage a small percentage of them. Better this then DRM. This method rewards the buying customers and punishes the people who don't give them money.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
pneuma08 said:
shMerker said:
And you're correct that this will probably net EA some profits in the short run that they wouldn't have otherwise. My argument is that it will be at the expense of customer goodwill which will cause fewer sales for future games. The goal should not be to monetize disappointed customers, but to avoid disappointing them in the first place.
Goodwill? EA? I'm sorry, you lost me there.

Joking aside, any amount of hype will result in *some* people being disappointed. Really, it's a question of buyer beware, and I'm not entirely convinced that said buyers would blame the larger companies for their screw-up. As in, I can't imagine such a thing impacting the sales of Madden 2011 or Need for Speed: "This time it's FASTER" or the latest Sims expansion, at least not in any substantial way. Colloquially, I think this sort of thing just adds a coat of (probably much-needed) cynicism regarding hype itself, and perhaps the IP (which they shouldn't have bothered with in the first place), rather than the publishers. But then again, I could be wrong.

Also, when I say, "free" I of course mean free to the consumer. In essence, the publisher and/or developer pick up the tab, or they profit from it in some other fashion, perhaps even simply as incentive for new consumers to buy the game, broadening their consumer base and priming for expansions and a sequel, or getting people to register in order to profit from their information.
It's still not free to the consumer because EA is a for-profit company, meaning their operations are ultimately funded by people buying their stuff. So yes, when you pay $60 for the game, part of that helps cover the cost of developing any content in the game. It's what's called a hidden cost. It's why branded products cost more than their generic counterparts. Companies that advertise have to charge more in order to cover the cost of their advertising.

And when I was talking about good will I meant for BioWare and Dragon Age, not so much for EA, who's reputation lately has been "at least they're less bad than Activision." Although you are right that any poor customer experiences they create will reflect poorly on the industry as a whole. That just makes it worse, though doesn't it?

All of your justifications for this are based on profit. What I've been saying this entire time is that's exactly what's wrong with it. It's a move designed to improve profit while treating the customer like a resource to be exploited. Companies that do that are not sustainable, because, like you said, "buyer beware".

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
shMerker said:
All of your justifications for this are based on profit. What I've been saying this entire time is that's exactly what's wrong with it. It's a move designed to improve profit while treating the customer like a resource to be exploited. Companies that do that are not sustainable, because, like you said, "buyer beware".
Yeah, see, this is where you lose me again. Of course they're going to act on profit. Any goodwill they *do* generate will be in the end, for profit. And I don't agree that it's exploitation, either.

I mean, if a bakery is handing out free cookies on the street, they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, they are doing it to draw in new customers (for profit). If that same company runs a buy-a-sandwich-get-a-cookie-free promotion, and draws in someone who normally does not like sandwiches, who buys a sandwich and then discards it because they don't like it, does this generate ill will, and is this exploitation? You can argue that the regular customers pick of the tab for either of these, and it is because of promotions like these that keep the price of food in the bakery higher for these customers, but is this really exploitation?

I mean, it's incentive to buy new. You can argue all you want that used customers then get screwed over, and people who shouldn't buy the game will be less happy with their purchase, but at the end of the day it's just bonus stuff for people who buy new. (It is bonus stuff because the developer didn't have to make it.)

It almost sounds as if you are saying all marketing is exploitation.

As for goodwill towards Bioware, they really are in that situation? I suppose I can't say for sure because I come from a heavily roleplaying background (we: BIOWARE YAY). Furthermore, I may be misguided about the publisher-developer combo, but doesn't the publisher handle all the advertising and such? Meaning, do they have much say at all as far as promotions and incentives go? And if so, how is it possible for Bioware, being the developer, to prevent ill will from being generated towards them, if all of what you say is true?

wolfskin

Sep 10, 2008
Irridium said:
But if I get Dragon Age on PC, will I be able to use the Mass Effect armor for the 360 version of Mass Effect 2?
From what I've read it would seem you can do exactly that.

As someone who was going to buy Dragon Age regardless, this is just a nice little extra. However, I don?t think anyone is seriously thinking that this will significantly impact piracy in any noticeable way. But the second hand game market is huge and game companies are completely excluded from it. It shouldn?t be surprising that some companies would try various things to make a ?first hand? game more appealing or get a bit of money from the second hand market.

Besides, it?s not as if when you buy DA second hand you?re getting half a game. You?re just missing what is for all intents and purposes a DLC pack ? one character and a couple of hours of play time. This in a game with a stack of characters and many many hours of play time. I mean maybe, just maybe, this will cause some people to grumble but then this is the gaming community we?re talking about, you could give out free gold and hookers and some people would still complain that you?re not giving them silver and the hookers are the wrong height.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Well after reading Susan's article this is on my Christmas list and the free DLC just sweetens the deal.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
There are some videos [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6232117.html?tag=topslot;thumb;4] that were just released that feature "The Stone Prisoner", the Blood Armor, and a new DLC expansion called "The Wardens' Keep" (that one's not free, unfortunately).

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
And it will take the pirates maybe 2 secondss to figure out how to distribute the DLC along with the game. I'm happy Bioware is trying to get a lot of content into its game, but it's all just so pointless.
A sad, depressing, inevetiable truth.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
The Infamous Scamola said:
I'm interested, the game looks good (the mute main character is kind of annoying though, especially after ME).

Does the free DLC offer also apply to the 360 version?
All versions of Dragon Age Origins, Collector or Regular will come with Stone Prisoner and Blood Dragon Armor.

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
DA is looking epic. im glad they are rewarding us with extra gear, it makes me even more excited!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
why are people complaining about this? people who buy an unused version of a game get more stuff then people who buy a pre-owned copy

i see no downside here. do most of you torrent then? because anyone complaining about this is just being ridiculous. they are still selling the game to you, its the full game still in the box, it just means that people who buy a really cheap pre-owned copy get less value, which is fine, because they pay less