Dragon Age: Inquisition Box Art Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Casual Shinji said:
Name one Triple-A box cover that isn't.
I actually quite like the Witcher 2 CE box, although maybe that's not an entirely fair comparison:

Metro: Last Light was pretty good too:

Your point has merit, the vast majority of box art is safe, predictable and dull, and it's tough picking out something recent and mainstream that breaks that mould. The Inquisition art manages to avoid being bad, I just don't see where it's particularly good either.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Tactical Pause said:
I like it. It isn't too cluttered, the perspective leaves the character's gender ambiguous
That is obviously a dude, if it was a woman there wouldn't be any armor.

Well that sure is purdy! Reminds me a lot of disturbed with all the red glowing eyes on shadowed faces, also reminds me of the soul chamber level in Mortal Kombat with the green vortex.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Can we all agree... nothing will be more generic and bland than Mass Effect 2's cover art?

And then Mass Effect 3 got confused and thought it was Battlefield 3...

Honestly, sometimes a box cover is so bad, I make my own.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm a fan, easily the best of the series too. Origin's was really boring and I can't even remember 2's. But I'm a big fan of this one. Gives a feel of epicness, which the last game of the series should bring. It is the last of the series right?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't think it's jaw dropping, but it does make me very, very excited for a different reason:

Based on what we're seeing, it looks like I was right. The Veil isn't going to just tear, it's going to straight break. And I am so excited about this because I was terrified that the game was just going to be about the Mage-Templar War. And I find that mind-numbingly boring. I'm glad to see that Dragon Age has remembered that it has all this lore to work with and doesn't need to fall back into a 'civil rights' storyline.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I was expecting the standard floaty head affair, so colour me suprised.

oldtaku said:
Looks pretty good, if generic (there is nothing about that cover that would make you think Inquisition). Heck, it could easily be a heavy metal album cover. It SHOULD be a heavy metal album cover.
We really do need more gameboxes with covers like heavy metal albums:

I'd play the heck out of that (It actually reminds me a lot of DOOM to be honest)

alceste007

Jun 4, 2012
The cover is different from your normal dude bro cover so that is nice. The hidden mist dragon is pretty cool as well. I am looking forward to the game atm.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I enjoy this. The colors look nifty and something is actually happening in the art. People aren't just smiling (or scowling, grimacing, etc) for the camera.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Elfgore said:
I'm a fan, easily the best of the series too. Origin's was really boring and I can't even remember 2's. But I'm a big fan of this one. Gives a feel of epicness, which the last game of the series should bring. It is the last of the series right?
Nope! It's non-tangential with the other games outside of the linearity of the timeline moving forward. They've said specifically that they want DA to be a universe which they can continue exploring rather than just making a trilogy.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
It's not bad.
There are some positives to it. The colors are a little more exotic than we're use to, though the all mighty marketer blue and orange is ever present. And they had the foresight to apply no gender to the protagonist by having them face away from the viewer leading into peoples roleplaying, though again it still has that "American" flair of having to have an identifiable lead plastered somewhere.

Much preferred the simpler style of DA:O.
Thinking on it, are you sure that's the official box art? I'm on the fence about that, probably will swap it out for something closer to the DA 2/ME 2-3 box art, in keeping in with consistency.
Stay Classy, Bioware.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
Nimcha said:
No orange and teal for once! I like it.
Are we looking at the same cover? Granted the coloring is not as prominent but the ever present Marketer colors are there in the sword and the background.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Very nice! It's a bit busy, especially compared to Dragon Age: Origins' cover, but it's absolutely a step above the standard fare.

Covers seem to be decreasing in importance as we move into a more download-focused market, so it's very nice to see that some companies are still putting in the effort.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Personally, I think it's a bit too flashy if anything. The nice thing about the covers of Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II is their simplicity. I think it really gets across the point that this is a fantasy game where you can shape the events. This one still does that, but there's a lot more going on in the background and it kind of feels like the game is going to force a narrative in this one compared to the others. My humble interpretation, of course. :)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
All I see is a red sword, a blue backdrop, and some green lighting.
Red. Blue. Green.

The Trifecta!

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Awesome cover! I love it! Would prefer more red though.
IMO the previous Dragon age covers were also awesome!

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
When I'm shopping for new games the last thing I usually pay attention to is box art; quite a few good games have horrible box art. However, as an art enthusiast this art is amazing. Lots going on, all relevant to the plot. The gender of the inquisitor is ambiguous, which is a nice change from the cover always featuring the default male lead. No blue/orange contrast (yay!). My only complaint would be the dragon is [i/]too[/i] noticeable.

TLDR: Yep, this great cover would grab my attention. And give me some ideas for metal album art.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It looks like I'm in the minority on this one. Not that I actively dislike the art - it's a huge step beyond the ME2 cover - it just doesn't really knock my socks off. Make it more like, say, the Infinity Engine RPG covers (minus the godawful Planescape: Torment) and maybe I'll be happy. Of course, then I'll want the game to be more like the IE releases, and we don't want to go down that road again...