Dragon Age: Inquisition Delayed at Least a Month

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
ecoho said:
razer17 said:
oldtaku said:
That's fine. Take as long as you need. Don't Dragon Age 2 again. Or worse, BF4.
I think I'd take BF4 over DA2. The latter was a bad game, the former merely average with some server issues.
.....do you even know what a bad game is? DA2 while rushed was still a good game, not a great game but a good game.

Now I think the words you wanted to use were "it was disappointing to you"

OT: not happy I have to wait another month but oh well still cant wait:)
No, I agree with razer17. It was a bad game.

Although, maybe it's a difference in definitions. I consider any game in which I give up and stop caring to be a bad game. Dragon Age 2 was such a game. Got past the Deep Roads and into a... temple full of spiders or robots or something??? before I gave up on the game.

For me, a good game is any game where I remain interested until it is finished. And a great game is any game where I actively seek out more information on the world and characters.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
John Keefer said:
Dragon Age: Inquisition has been getting some positive buzz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11579-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Biggest-RPG-Ever-Created-by-BioWare] as a worthy successor to BioWare's previous stellar Dragon Age RPGs.
I'd question the plural, but the Escapist does have a terrible record for throwing great scores at terrible Bioware sequels in opposition to actual fan reaction or quality.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Bioware, the last time you gave us a delay, you still ended up giving us those stupid endings for ME3.

I hoped you learned your lesson from last time.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I'm pretty damn sure they're not doing this for development reasons. They're doing this to get closer to Christmas and to avoid the onslaught of games coming out in October. Fuckers, the people that are interested in it are gonna buy it, giving it a month of wiggle room compared to the other stuff coming out in October is not gonna make that much of a difference.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So that gives the escapist staff one more month to decide who gets stuck reviewing this. Whoever it is I don't envy them, the community still won't let the DA2 review go so I feel like whoever reviews DA:I is going to get death threats for any score above "MINUS FIVE STARS!!". I think Jim is a natural for the job, he already has a lot of practice not caring what butthurt people on the internet think of him.

OT: Good, rushing things won't help anyone and I would rather wait a bit longer and get a more polished game. +1 point to Bioware, I'm pondering this as a day one purchase if they live up to the promise of combining the best parts of DA:O and DA:2.

Asun

Your ad here
Oct 21, 2013
Haven't figured out the Day 1 DLC quite yet? Ah ok I want this to be a good game so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that extra time is for polishing...no pre-order from me this time though

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Nuts.

Ah well, a game could always use a bit more polish in production and it'll give me more time to figure out how acquire/steal a PS4.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
After the Dragon Age II turned out to be functionally awful, I don't care if they delay it a month. Actually, that kind of helps me out, since Smash Bros. was coming out on the 3rd and now I'll only have to pick up one game instead of two. November is filled with games I don't really care much about.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I really don't know that a month will make such a huge difference in the long run, esp if the disc is supposed to go gold at the same time as it always was slated to. It's just that we've seen games take this sort of time before, and it didn't amount to much. Hell, Alpha Protocol and Watch Dogs took a whole YEAR extra...and the results were...less than stellar.

Not saying I am opposed to the 1 month pushback, but I don't really think it'll help. Moreover, in corporate speak, a late November release really means pushing it back further to December, in time for Holiday sales. Per EA/Bioware history, this further means another pushback to February of the following year, as happened with ME2, ME3, and DA2, if I recall correctly...

TL;DR: I expect the game to come out early 2015 and not really look any better. More likely the time will be spent on "Day 1 DLC/Season Pass" nonsense.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
i don't know about everyone, but it just worries me when games keep getting pushed back... how much can you really change in a month?

getting really sick of your shit bioware.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This actually helps me out a lot. October already has Beyond Earth, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve, and Assassin's Creed: Unity. This is saving me quite a decent amount of money.

Hopefully it all works out in the end and this is for the better. Not something sinister or harming to the game.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Longing said:
how much can you really change in a month?
I haven't the foggiest, but I wouldn't have been able to afford it until November time anyways.

To be honest I'm having buyer's remorse about getting a current gen console, there's just nothing I couldn't have got on my PS3 that I'm bothered about (barring Infamous 3, but a new console for 1 game isn't worth it)

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Lesson learned here with DA2. No matter how late this game comes out I'll still wait an extra month to see some actual reviews that I can trust.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Well, that's OK. About a month is not a delay that I will notice that much. I'm currnetly replaying DA2 anyway to get my savegame ready for Inquisition. And with all the stuff that's coming out in September/October we shouldn't get bored.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
At this point, I'm taking delays in stride - I don't have much time for games anyway, no big loss if some more time passes (except The Witcher 3 , I was really hoping to play it before my offspring graces the world with its presence and transforms me into a dedicated parent).

But I clicked over here from facebook, and here's what bothers me: the fb post says "hopefully this means they're making it even better."

No. No, you're not allowed to say this. I'm getting annoyed by the practice of the gaming media praising upcoming big titles as masterpieces months - or sometimes years - before they come out and can be seen in their finished form. The "best of Gaming Show" awards are stupid enough - with some games raking up dozens of "best of" awards and boasting them before they even have a playable demo - but this is just ridiculous. Maybe the game will be great - I'm hoping it will, because I really liked Origins - but we don't know it yet. The Escapist staff has no way of knowing how good the finished game will be, or if any changes done in the extra month are going to make it "even better".

TL;DR I don't like hype trains and would really like them to go away.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
Except by pushing it back to November they have to compete with COD, Halo The Master Chief Collection, and a few other games. BioWare would have been better aiming for either a summer (this year release) or January next year release so they aren't launching into a huge pile up of games.

I've watched some gameplay footage of DA: Inquisition. It looks bland and lacking the charm of Dragon Age: Origins. Plus, the graphics themselves, while looking good, don't seem to fit the art style or general atmosphere of the Dragon Age universe as a whole. Hell I even watched footage that Mike Laidlaw was commenting on and he seemed very apathetic and ambivalent about Dragon Age: Inquisition. Or he was talking up "your choices matter". Where have we seen and heard that before from BioWare? Then there is the use of the Frostbite engine. Sigh... what other terrible choice of a game engine have we seen BioWare do in recent memory? Oh yeah, the Hero Engine for SW:TOR and it's still a mess and the single biggest issue with SW:TOR still.

Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Age and a well crafted BioWare game. I really hope BioWare knows what it's doing and has learned from DA:II and the debacle that was the ME3 ending. I'd love to go back to the DA universe and have a great game like DA: Origins again. However, BioWare's track record of late has been atrocious, plus the rise of the Cash Shop Menace in SW:TOR. I'll be waiting for reviews and at least 2-6 months before considering getting this game. After all, trust has to be earned and BioWare has lost a lot of trust with it's fanbase over the last 4 years.