Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of The Year Edition Announced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of The Year Edition Announced

The GOTY edition of Dragon Age: Inquisition will combine the base game with all of its DLC.

Dragon Age: Inquisition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20age%20inquisition] was many a gamer's Game of the Year last year, and now Bioware are celebrating that fact with the release of a special Game of The Year edition, bundling the base game together with all of its DLC into a single, discounted package.

"Experience the definitive version of Dragon Age: Inquisition, including all story and gameplay content ever released: Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, Trespasser, and more," wrote Bioware [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Qsvm_EtkA].

In addition to the three major story DLCs, the GOTY edition will also include all of the cosmetic and minor DLCs from the deluxe edition of the game, as well as the Spoils of Avvar and Spoils of the Qunari mini-DLCs.

It will be released on October 6 for the PS4, Xbox One and PC, and while we don't have a solid number for it's price, we're assuming it will set you back the standard $59.99 that Inquisition cost at launch.

Source: EA Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Qsvm_EtkA]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
zellosoli said:
I knew that this was gonna happen, and I'm glad i waited :)
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That's nice. While I haven't gotten to Trespasser yet--running through the game one last time to make sure I do everything right and whatnot--from what I understand it's well worth it. The other two DLCs could have easily been left out in my opinion, but Trespasser is a must play for anyone who enjoyed the game I think.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's nice. While I haven't gotten to Trespasser yet--running through the game one last time to make sure I do everything right and whatnot--from what I understand it's well worth it. The other two DLCs could have easily been left out in my opinion, but Trespasser is a must play for anyone who enjoyed the game I think.
Answered my question, then. I have to admit, the game was easily the most mediocre in the series, but I think it'll be worth playing again with the DLC.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, looking at the cost of all the DLC I don't have for DA:I (which is all of it) I would have to pay nearly $90 for the lot. So if the GOTY edition retails on Origin for less than $70, I'd be saving by rebuying the whole game. Unless they put the DLC down to a permanent lower price.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Will the GOTY version come with extra DLC that has all the missing fun?

If you haven't yet, buy The Witcher 3 instead of this game. The difference cannot be expressed in words alone and requires a complex mathematical formula that can accurately describe the suckage of Bioware relative to a black hole.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Jake Martinez said:

If you haven't yet, buy The Witcher 3 instead of this game. The difference cannot be expressed in words alone and requires a complex mathematical formula that can accurately describe the suckage of Bioware relative to a black hole.
Yeah, I second this sentiment. The Witcher 3 feels like the game Bioware was trying to make, only, you know, with a soul.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
After Origins lackluster story/game mechanics failed to draw me in, I skipped the second game (whatever it was called). Heard some very good things about the third one, contemplating getting it now.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
008Zulu said:
After Origins lackluster story/game mechanics failed to draw me in, I skipped the second game (whatever it was called). Heard some very good things about the third one, contemplating getting it now.
Then you're probably better off ignoring it entirely. Combat boils down to hold down right trigger until you win. (I think it's left click on PC, but I used a controller for it, because the PC controls were downright unplayable.)

The story is heavily based on events from the second game, so skipping that will probably make the game a completely incoherent mess. (Not skipping 2 will make the game's story a mostly incoherent mess, because they assume you read all the godawful tie in novels to understand the story. If you didn't? Then they really don't have the time to explain what's going on for you... or me, for that matter.)

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.
Which is why you waited for the Mass Effect 3 GotY Edition to come out... oh, wait.

Yeah, I know, "all games" get a complete edition now. Which is why it's kind of unusual this is happening with Dragon Age, when Bioware's been pretty terrible about releasing complete editions. EA in general, for that matter, but Bioware in particular.

Which makes the whole, "I predicted the blindingly obvious" seem a bit less impressive, when you were actually betting on the unlikely outcome, thinking it was inevitable.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Jake Martinez said:

Amen. The Witcher 3 is the pinnacle of fantasy RPG's. Dragon Age Inquisition is one of the most boring games that I've ever played. I'm glad I got it as a gift because I just gave up on it. And I even liked DA2 once I found a way to properly play it (with a female rogue Hawk). But holy fuck this game is so boring and filled with unnecessary content that doesn't seem to fit the game at all. A whole bunch of stuff is just there because someone had a checklist of things that must be included, regardless of how well it fits. It's like a single player MMO. Just fetch quests and grinding in unnecessarily huge zones.
Game design is what The Witcher 3 gets better than most games. You have freedom of movement seen only in third person games like GTA and fast and active combat system that mixes hack/slash with RPG. Exploration is incredible and the world feels alive. It feels like it would be there even if the player wasn't. Meanwhile the world of Dragon Age feels artificial like it was crafted specifically for the player to do all those boring things in it. It's an incredibly bad game. Everything that is in The Witcher 3 exists for a reason. It fits the world. It doesn't feel redundant, forced and artificial.

The 100h that you get from The Witcher 3 is a 100h of variety. You never do the same thing twice unless you count the treasure hunt quests. And even those are made in a way to give you something different every time you go on a treasure hunt. Some of the Witcher Gear hunts involve defeating monsters that guard it or solving a puzzle or both, and you always get a nice little story of the witcher that left all that treasure.

EA/Bioware don't give a shit. They give you an arbitrary list of stuff to grind for the sake of increasing the potential game length that they can then advertise as a feature. It's lazy, boring and even dishonest. How many people would have purchased the game if Bioware told them that half the game is just useless grinding? This game has no soul. It wasn't made with love and passion. It was made with a checklist in one hand and desired profits in the other.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
The 100h that you get from The Witcher 3 is a 100h of variety.
Unless your 100th hour is a Smuggler Cache because you've stupidly selling Dimeritium all game, and just got to a point where you need it for your upgrades... not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything. :p

But, yeah, what you're saying is true. With The Witcher 3, if you're doing a lot of repetitious content, it's because you chose to do something mind numbing, like diving for caches in Skellige, not because there's literally nothing else to do.

With Dragon Age Inquisition, you'll see basically everything the game can show you around hour 20. The only thing left after that point is a story that makes no sense, even by Dragon Age's standards.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Jake Martinez said:

Amen. The Witcher 3 is the pinnacle of fantasy RPG's. Dragon Age Inquisition is one of the most boring games that I've ever played. I'm glad I got it as a gift because I just gave up on it. And I even liked DA2 once I found a way to properly play it (with a female rogue Hawk). But holy fuck this game is so boring and filled with unnecessary content that doesn't seem to fit the game at all. A whole bunch of stuff is just there because someone had a checklist of things that must be included, regardless of how well it fits. It's like a single player MMO. Just fetch quests and grinding in unnecessarily huge zones.
Game design is what The Witcher 3 gets better than most games. You have freedom of movement seen only in third person games like GTA and fast and active combat system that mixes hack/slash with RPG. Exploration is incredible and the world feels alive. It feels like it would be there even if the player wasn't. Meanwhile the world of Dragon Age feels artificial like it was crafted specifically for the player to do all those boring things in it. It's an incredibly bad game. Everything that is in The Witcher 3 exists for a reason. It fits the world. It doesn't feel redundant, forced and artificial.

The 100h that you get from The Witcher 3 is a 100h of variety. You never do the same thing twice unless you count the treasure hunt quests. And even those are made in a way to give you something different every time you go on a treasure hunt. Some of the Witcher Gear hunts involve defeating monsters that guard it or solving a puzzle or both, and you always get a nice little story of the witcher that left all that treasure.

EA/Bioware don't give a shit. They give you an arbitrary list of stuff to grind for the sake of increasing the potential game length that they can then advertise as a feature. It's lazy, boring and even dishonest. How many people would have purchased the game if Bioware told them that half the game is just useless grinding? This game has no soul. It wasn't made with love and passion. It was made with a checklist in one hand and desired profits in the other.
It's hard to put into words how much I disagree with all of this. I could not get into the Witcher at all, not any of the games. The game pretty much falls at the first hurdle when it forces me to play a character I do not care about. If anything feels forced it's the Wither because of that fact. It feels like a linear array of setpieces set up specifically for that character. It's not really an RPG, that's the problem for me.

I did like the combat though, I guess we can agree on that. Dragon Age's combat has never been its strong suit and the balance between some classes is not well done.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Nimcha said:
It's hard to put into words how much I disagree with all of this. I could not get into the Witcher at all, not any of the games. The game pretty much falls at the first hurdle when it forces me to play a character I do not care about. If anything feels forced it's the Wither because of that fact. It feels like a linear array of setpieces set up specifically for that character. It's not really an RPG, that's the problem for me.

I did like the combat though, I guess we can agree on that. Dragon Age's combat has never been its strong suit and the balance between some classes is not well done.
So the only reason that the Witcher is bad that you could come up with is that it doesn't let you create your own character. You do know that the definition of an RPG is not "A Game that lets you create your own character", right? The Witcher 3 is a real RPG. It's an Roleplaying game and you play the role of Geralt of Rivia. Just because you can't make up your own role in the game doesn't mean that it's not an Roleplaying game.
If you cannot enjoy games were you don't get to create your own character, that's obviously fine. That's just your opinion, but saying the game isn't an RPG because of that is just plain false.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Amaror said:
Nimcha said:

So the only reason that the Witcher is bad that you could come up with is that it doesn't let you create your own character. You do know that the definition of an RPG is not "A Game that lets you create your own character", right? The Witcher 3 is a real RPG. It's an Roleplaying game and you play the role of Geralt of Rivia. Just because you can't make up your own role in the game doesn't mean that it's not an Roleplaying game.
If you cannot enjoy games were you don't get to create your own character, that's obviously fine. That's just your opinion, but saying the game isn't an RPG because of that is just plain false.
No, I get them. They say they want complete freedom to create a character, unlike Shepard, Hawke, the various Inquisitors, the various versions of The Warden, Revan, or, you know, the Spirit Monk. They want the ability to create their own character, free from the fetters of a preexisting identity assumed by the writers. You know, unlike every Bioware game in existence.

What I can say is that The Witcher franchise owns that a lot better than Bioware does, and it results in more freedom to actually roleplay. Something Bioware titles are sorely lacking.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Amaror said:
Nimcha said:

So the only reason that the Witcher is bad that you could come up with is that it doesn't let you create your own character.
No that's not what I said. Please read more carefully.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Amaror said:
Lot of people get their introduction to RPGs with the cinematic BioWare stuff. I couldn't care less about predefined characters because I played Gothic I-II to dust when those games came out. And since combat was mainly clicking on fools and watching the combat log roll with the Black Isle/Ultima games, I just tend to ignore when people want a goddamn spectacle fighter injected into a fully voice acted, cutscene heavy game.