Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of The Year Edition Announced

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Imre Csete said:
Starke said:
The sad thing is, the timed stuff they were showing in the E3 demo looked like a legitimate use for the mechanics.
After following DA2 from rumors to launch day trailer, I've learned my lesson about taking game marketing at face value. I went into DA:I with zero expectations, maybe that's why I'm not furiously disappointed about it, rather just meh, it passed the time.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about being mislead by the hype. Just that in retrospect, looking back at their prerelease stuff, they actually had a more coherent use for the system. And then proceeded to whiff it in the actual game.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Starke said:
"all games"
Why did you add quotes to "all games" when responding to a quote that specifically said "most?"
Same reason you carved up the rest of my post to pull that out of context. Rhetoric.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
zellosoli said:
Starke said:
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
I knew that this was gonna happen, and I'm glad i waited :)
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.
Which is why you waited for the Mass Effect 3 GotY Edition to come out... oh, wait.

Yeah, I know, "all games" get a complete edition now. Which is why it's kind of unusual this is happening with Dragon Age, when Bioware's been pretty terrible about releasing complete editions. EA in general, for that matter, but Bioware in particular.

Which makes the whole, "I predicted the blindingly obvious" seem a bit less impressive, when you were actually betting on the unlikely outcome, thinking it was inevitable.
hmmm perhaps i should have worded it better and explained myself more. when it first came out, a lot of people said it was a good game, but with previous experience with EA and other RPG's like Skyrim, saints row and such with has a ton of DLC that comes out after launch, a lot of em eventually had the GOTY edition with all (or at least most) of the DLC attached (i figured every game was gonna do that so why buy the game on the day when a better, more complete version will come out later, and maybe cheaper too). so i opted to wait until a better deal came out (my thinking is, if that game IS that good, it will still be good after a year and I can get more stuff). now this wasn't a sure thing, I could have been wrong and if i was, no biggie, i can still get the game for cheap later if it;s still good. I guess I was a bit happy that my guess was vindicated, even though it's not for anything really important.
Yeah, that I get. Like I said, it came across as a bit more smug than you probably intended. Also, honest recommendation? Give Inquisition a pass, at least until it's down into the sub $20 range. Mechanically it's an unsatisfying game, and narrativly... I mean, minor spoiler here, but the game's story doesn't actually have an end. It just suddenly gets bored, throws a boss fight at you, and rolls credits. The final piece of DLC makes a weak attempt to address that (according to the people who didn't say, "screw it" and ignored the DLC entirely), but what's there just isn't worth the time, even if you do like the setting.

The Witcher 3's an easier recommendation for a similar game with a more satisfying conclusion. If you want something in the vein of the first game, then Neverwinter Nights 2 and it's first expansion (Mask of the Betrayer) are a better option. Or Pillars of Eternity, if you actually want the kind of old school RPG DAO was trying to go for. If you want an MMO like experience, then Elder Scrolls Online is now subscription free... and actually is an MMO, but it's a better option than DAI.

That said, Dragon Age Inquisition is just, deeply underwhelming. I played through it once, and basically tossed it. This is easily the most banal and boring game I've ever seen come from a AAA studio, and honestly the worst thing I've seen from Bioware.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
But the comparison's a little tiresome now, as if vast swathes of teh internetz have a kind of TW3 defined DA:I bashing tourettes; they can't help themselves.
Nah. This isn't a specific thing related to DAI and W3. Gaming on the internet is rife with people who don't like it if you A. don't like what they like, B. like what they don't like, or C. enjoy things the wrong way.
In this case, as someone who's played both games, DAI and TW3TWH feel like similar approaches to the same game. Both developers saw the ridiculous success of Skyrim, and decided to take a swing at that.

With DAI the end result feels like a launch state MMO. Unsatisfying content, a story that leaves you on the hook for the next five years of updates, vast empty spaces that exist so they can brag about how large their world is and just a general lack of polish. Also a combat system that really does boil down to "hold left trigger to win."

With TW3 the end result feels like a decent hybrid of the open world RPG genre and the prior Witcher titles. It's got a lot of the delayed consequences, where you don't see the outcome of your choice for 50 hours, and a story that might, honestly, leave some people baffled, simply because of volume. But it never feels like an open, soulless, checklist of crap you need to do before you can move on.

In both cases, you can see the influences of Bethesda, but in the former case, the result is just fishing to fill bullet points for the box. In the later case, it feels like the developers were looking at what they could learn from, rather than what they could pilfer.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Starke said:
Same reason you carved up the rest of my post to pull that out of context. Rhetoric.
Well, no, that's not the same reason. I'm curious as to what context you think is added to this misrepresentation by the rest of the post, though. It doesn't make it any more accurate.

In this case, as someone who's played both games, DAI and TW3TWH feel like similar approaches to the same game.
See, this is trying to explain something out of context. The context I attempted to provide by pointing out that this isn't unique to these two games.

In any given case, one can probably find several ways to rationalise or justify. It's the larger context that demonstrates that the pattern exists, which is exactly the point. I honestly don't believe people are going around saying X is like Y but better/worse to be dishonest or to be dicks. I'm pretty sure a good chunk, maybe even the vast majority, believe it in any given case.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Oh

Great

I totally... waited for that. Yep. I am a smart gamer that do not pay microtransactions to EA, the great devourer.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Starke said:
Well, no, that's not the same reason. I'm curious as to what context you think is added to this misrepresentation by the rest of the post, though. It doesn't make it any more accurate.
It does however convey the overall tone, which is lost when you crop it down to two or three words.

Something Amyss said:
In this case, as someone who's played both games, DAI and TW3TWH feel like similar approaches to the same game.
See, this is trying to explain something out of context. The context I attempted to provide by pointing out that this isn't unique to these two games.
No, you attempted to disregard the discussion here and characterize it as a fanboy slapfight, which, it's not.

Something Amyss said:
I might give it a spin if it's reasonably priced or once it goes on sale.
In case you'd forgotten.

If you'd taken a look at both games, you could probably contribute meaningfully to the conversation. Without that frame of reference; not so much.