Dragon Age: Inquisition Review - Monumental

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dragon Age: Inquisition Review - Monumental

BioWare has given RPG gamers a wondrous gift this holiday season.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
[HEADING=2]IT BEGINS.[/HEADING]

I must say, I'm surprised at the positive feedback this game is getting. I may have to pick this one up in a future sale...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Is Oghren in the DA:I? I hope so. Good review, makes me even more eager to play it.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dragon Age Inquisition gets 5/5? But how can it match up the sheer majesty of Dragon Age 2? how can it compete with the pinnacle of RPGs? HOW? EXPLAIN TO ME.

greyden

Feb 26, 2010
The Wooster said:
Dragon Age Inquisition gets 5/5? But how can it match up the sheer majesty of Dragon Age 2? how can it compete with the pinnacle of RPGs? HOW? EXPLAIN TO ME.
Shh. Don't remind everyone.

Next they'll remember they were going to boycott Bioware after Mass Effect 3.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sorry Greg, but you should have handed this one to someone else, its obvious what is going to happen now.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
cough Anyone else notice that elephant in the corner? cough cough

A decent review. I really hope for all our sakes Greg that games lives up to it.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
josemlopes said:
Sorry Greg, but you should have handed this one to someone else, its obvious what is going to happen now.
As someone who really enjoyed DA2, i was rather worried that BioWare would be so desperate to distance themselves from it in every way possible that they would make a game i dislike. As a reviewer i know of who shared my opinion of DA2 Tito's glowing review of Inquisition is very useful for me.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Not sure how to feel here. I never cared that Greg gave DA2 5/5. He liked it and I did not, that's fine. However now I am not sure how to take this review. Did he enjoy it more because he enjoyed DA2 or did his enjoyment have nothing to do with DA2.

Anyone know how much the characters from DA2 come up in the story and how much impact DA2 as a whole has on the story beyond the Mage/Templar stuff because I think the answer to that question is what will help me make a choice.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
josemlopes said:
Even if The Escapist just used a review from another gaming website people would have the exact same response to anything BioWare here.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
josemlopes said:
AntiChri5 said:
As someone who really enjoyed DA2, i was rather worried that BioWare would be so desperate to distance themselves from it in every way possible that they would make a game i dislike. As a reviewer i know of who shared my opinion of DA2 Tito's glowing review of Inquisition is very useful for me.
I have to declare ambivalence here.

On the one hand, I expected that the review would be in the hands of someone else. We aren't even a dozen posts into this thread and people are (some jokingly and some seriously) questioning the legitimacy of this 5/5 review because of the 5/5 Dragon Age II review, which, I feel the need to point out, happened over THREE DAMN YEARS AGO and people really should bury the hatchet. Seriously, people can and often do change quite a bit over the course of three years.

On the other hand, giving the review to someone else would have been bowing to the people who gave (and still give...again, three years, let's let it go...) Tito grief over the DAII review; it also would have been a disservice to those who respected Tito for standing by his opinion in the face of the angry mob and those who found Tito's DAII review valuable in informing their own take on the game, and I speak as one of those people.

On the third hand, there is a part of me that wonders if Tito took this review (he's editor-in-chief, so no one can tell him whether or not to) to intentionally prove some kind of point: "If you're going to blow off my opinion on this game because of what I said about DAII and/or GTAV, that's fine, but that won't stop me from speaking my mind." He may be indulging in some good-natured trolling of those who gave him grief over those older reviews, and that thought makes me smile.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
*Greg gives Inquisition 5 stars*

Too late to get a refund since I've redeemed the code for my digital copy?

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
glad to hear as someone who shares Greg's view of DA2 him giving DA:I a thumbs up means I've got some idea on whether I'll like the game.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
"the cultures in Thedas have always treated gender this way"

Actually, that isn't correct. Ya may want to look up the story of a knight called Aveline. The one we don't work with in DA2. ;D

Though, the game world has been pretty egalitarian when in comes to sex/gender/orientation in the times/places we've been playing Dragon Age so far. However, it wasn't always like that. Sorry to be so lore nit-picky. ;p

Anyway, good review. I'll be getting my game tomorrow, but I'll have to wait a bit to play it.
:mad: Darn college. :p

From what I've been hearing so far, I should have a lot of fun. :)

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
I liked Dragon Age 2 a lot so I don't mind that Greg gives this game a 5/5.

I've told myself all year I was going to wait for the game of the year edition. But now I'am not so sure if I can wait that long.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Thanks for the review, appreciate the warning for things that might not quite click, and for the overall opinion that it's really, really good. Can't wait for it.

I've been getting warier of games over the past few years - games I've looked forward to, like Watch Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, or Civ: Beyond Earth, were letdowns for me, so I've been trying not to get too hyped for anything. All the reviews coming in for Inquisition are kind of throwing that out the window - not only does it sound good, but apparently it is good, so damn it, I'm just really excited now. I wonder how much of my time this is going to eat up?

UMID

Mar 5, 2008
I was always going to play it eventually, but from this review it sounds more interesting than I dared to hope! Army-level command elements is what I've always missed in my RPGs.

I'm going to need some way to get rid of those horrible plastic haridos, though.

Kain Yusanagi

Sep 24, 2014
Greg, gotta say, while I don't agree with the 5/5, I DEFINITELY agree and love what you've written in the full review. Might I suggest considering switching from a star metric to a "complete/finish/play/pass" one? That way you don't have to abstract it so much?