Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Not even gonna go near the endings issue, but:
- According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.
Heard this one a billion times before, never seen it done properly.
- Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.
Peter Molyneux? Is that you?
- "We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"
Well this is confusing as fuck. Do you have to pick which wheel you use, or does the game do it for you? Why the arbitrary distinction between 'role playing choices' and 'choices'? For that matter, why the distinction between 'roleplaying' and 'emotional moments'?

Christ, I wish Bioware would start treating dialogue like dialogue again, instead of telegraphed binary character choices.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
the hidden eagle said:
Fdzzaigl said:
Holy crap, I hope they are able to make true on that. I think the most likely outcome that is possible for 40 endings is that those endings offer a slightly different set of dialogue and a different kind of outro (probably in comic form or so).

But still, impressive.

Mikeyfell said:
Is DAI going to come out on 7 disks?
That's what they're telling us right... because if 8 voices is 14 disks 4 would be 7, at least 7...
I suppose if 16 endings is actually zero... ummmm no one at Bioware even understands how to count on their fingers fucking wonderful.

Bioware has a tendency to promise us the sun and moon, but all they do is wait for us to look up then piss in our eyes.
Then in a year or two Mass Effect 4 is going to promise 50 "meaningfully different" endings and we're all going to forget about this betrayal just long enough to get a nose full of piss again. DON'T FALL FOR IT!
Oh wow, here we go with the "betrayal".

Just chill, there's no need to pick apart every hyperbole someone uses to prove a point.
I got news for you:Bioware won't be able to deliver on it's 40 different endings,it's pretty much impossible for a game that only has a 3-4 year development cycle.At best there will be 5-6 main endings ith dozens of minor changes depending on what you did in DA:I.
If you read between the lines of my response, you'd see that I fully expect a few slightly different endings with a slightly different ending cinematic.

As long as they're making a serious effort and the game is fun that's fine by me. Having 4 different voices per gender for your player character is also impressive.

All the "betrayal" shit about ME3 is getting real old by now. The ending wasn't the everlasting land of milk and honey where you could have sexy times with Tali forever, like some expected. Nor was the ending great or good, but it did make sense. So feeling betrayed is misplaced.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know about any one else, but I'd much rather have 3 or 4, hell even 1 well crafted ending than a few dozen shallow token endings.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That's cool. Sounds like Origins. But improved? Which, let's face it, is exactly what we wanted. Keep this trend up, Bioware. It's actually good for you to regain some face with us.

Also, the inquisitor's story sounds like a mesh of Oblivion and Skyrim (and other stuff too, obviously). And if the idea of Bioware doing the writing and characters on a gameworld that looks like either of those doesn't appeal to you, you clearly don't like this genre.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
Oh please. They say it will be over 40 endings but i bet they will just make it blue, azure, teal and ultramarine etc etc. and call them different

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
the hidden eagle said:
The Great JT said:
Sounds interesting, Bioware.

Also, anyone who brought up Mass Effect 3's endings, please report to the volcano. The Volcano God will have words with you after you receive the customary boot in the ass.
Why?Bioware made the exact same claim with ME3 so people are justified in bringing it up.
Because people are still spiteful over it. I'm one of those people who didn't hate the endings (I was merely confused by them) and felt the Extended Cut answered the questions I had about them. Most of the people, though, are still "RAAAR ME3 ENDINGS WORST THING EVAR, ALL OF THE GAME BEFORE THAT POINT AND THE ENTIRE SERIES AS A WHOLE IS RUINED FOREVER, RAAAAAAGH!!" I really can't stand the rage and whining, especially since I love the game and series. I just want people to stop complaining and talk about the game as a whole.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure they just mean 40 still frames in an American Graffiti style ending like Origins. So cut that by at least half since the majority of them will be between choices A and B of scenarios through the game.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
The most important of a story is the ending,this is no different from talking about a book or movie that had very bad to terrible finales.Like it or not but ME3's endings will always serve as a example of how not to end a series and people will keep reminding everyone including Bioware of what happened last time they made promises that could'nt be kept.
You have no idea what you're talking about. In the entire history of storytelling endings don't really mean squat. There are plenty of award winning films where the entire 3rd act is completely terrible or the last 5 minutes sucked.

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
I'm generally looking forward to this game as I'm the only person in the world who like DA 2. This as Persona 5 are the games that are going to keep my PS3 on for some time.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
The Great JT said:
Because people are still spiteful over it. I'm one of those people who didn't hate the endings (I was merely confused by them) and felt the Extended Cut answered the questions I had about them. Most of the people, though, are still "RAAAR ME3 ENDINGS WORST THING EVAR, ALL OF THE GAME BEFORE THAT POINT AND THE ENTIRE SERIES AS A WHOLE IS RUINED FOREVER, RAAAAAAGH!!" I really can't stand the rage and whining, especially since I love the game and series. I just want people to stop complaining and talk about the game as a whole.
High-five The Great JT! I have a huge Garrus poster that's as big as my love for the series and can still replay the games at any time. I do believe Mass Effect is waaay more than the ME3s ending. Which is what I'm hoping for Inquisition. Give me a good experience Bioware and I'll continue supporting the franchise.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
The Great JT said:
As for what you said about ME3's endings, no, what doomed them wasn't Bioware's writing, it was fans with unrealistically high expectations and perceptions that the ending would play out exactly as they envisioned it and when it wasn't word-for-word the same as their (most likely INCREDIBLY STUPID) idea as to what happened.
You, my good sir, are wrong. (But kudos for using death knight as a profile pic. Stormreaver Clan?)

BioWare stated that choices matter, and I for one spent dozens of hours creating different Shepards with different choices, and all that comes down to RGB. Quite important side characters like Kelly Chambers were ignored in the ending (even in EC) even though she was one of my Sheprad's imported love interest from ME2. (If I'd indeed make a fanfic I'd have grateful Shiala rescue her from the Citadel's explosions.)

Also, there were stupid drama situations, like the the first fight against Kai Leng, where I had to stop using my abilities so I could lose and get the story rolling.

And Liara "I can't fight my own people" T'Soni had no trouble killing indoctrinated asari commandos, but freaks out putting banshees out of their misery. Really stupid writing, if player remembers anything that has happened in earlier games.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
After ME3, it don't trust Bioware.
I'll wait for players reviews (and no, since DA2 i don't trust The Escapist reviews ^^) and i'll trust what i'll see.
I remember the 16 diffenrent endings of ME3 and the impact of the player's choice (the rachni queen perhaps ?).

The Great JT said:
As for what you said about ME3's endings, no, what doomed them wasn't Bioware's writing, it was fans with unrealistically high expectations and perceptions that the ending would play out exactly as they envisioned it
Nope, it was Bioware that hyped them and let them think this. They never said otherwise, they always use half truth (like for DAi, they use the buzz words "open world" but the game will NOT be an open world). As i said several times, it's not the game, it's how Bioware managed their marketing and their fanbase after the launch.
You can't say several times "you will not have an A, B, C ending", "your choices will matter" and delivering the exact opposite without expecting a backlash... you can't throw rocks to the fanbase without thinking about this little fact, of course you're right about some fans, but it's Bioware that let the hyping being "too much".
And another thing, they said Hawk and the warden will be in the game, strangly, they didn't said (as it was written on dev blog) that their respective stories will never have any kind of closure... Or the fact that Morrigan will NOT be a companion.

Just look here, 40 differents endings are now only an handfull differents ends... It was just to make their game look better than TW3, nothing more. I prefer one good ending rather than "hundreds variation" that can be bad.
I will buy "arkham knight" day one. DAI ? Bargain bin at best...

I've a hard time for taking them seriously now because since DA2, they over-promise and under-deliver each time.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
It's going to have 3 choices at the end where you do a deal with a random new character that was never introduced. They will be color coded, though, so no worries.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
the hidden eagle said:
I'm not going to get into the ME3 endings again but how did it make it sense?Also Bioware did betray it's fans by basically calling them a bunch of dumb nimrods who just did'nt "get it".
If even I, and I can assure you that I'm NOT a fanboy, get the urge to slap posters who are still crying doom and gloom about the ME3 ending across the ass with a baseball bat. Then it's pretty understandable that writers and developers who get the hordes of internet "activists" spewing vitriol and bile over them day in and day out would defend themselves by making counter statements. Which of course only serves to further fuel more rage, but you can't fault any normal person for attempting to defend themselves somewhat.

I'm not going further into a ME3 lore discussion either. It's like discussing whether Batman or Superman is better, everyone can just make up shit as they go along. But that's the very essence of the discussion: you can find arguments either way if you think about it, that sane discussion is what is completely lost amid all the rage.

With Dragon Age Inquisition, so far I see a dev who has taken the rightful critiques about replicated zones, DLC on launch, bad graphical quality and loss of isometric view in console version to heart. And is at least attempting to fix those things. Now the internet can decide to launch another hate-campaign like they did for DA2 or the ME3 ending and urge the /v/ boards on 4chan to go spam the metacritic user scores with 0's and further hammer on the heads of the devs. Or we can simply judge the game by its merits when it actually comes out.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I just want my Warden back, Bioware. I don't want to play another character I really couldn't give two shakes about, a la Hawke.

Just don't make it terrible, Bioware, for God's sake (and your own).