Dragon Age Inquisition was Bioware's Worst RPG to Date

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I agree(if DA2 didn't exist) but also disagree. I personally am not enjoying DA:I, but I can still appreciate why many do. That said, I'm taking a break and starting a new character in Skyrim since I never actually finished that game. Let's see if I ever get back to DA:I.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
DementedSheep said:
You are claiming the reason people think bioware is drinking ?SJW kool-aid" with DA:I is because of the gay characters being front and centre instead of being actual characters but this really isn?t true.
No, I said Bioware games in general lately have gotten that way, I did not say Inquisition except in the specific examples I provided because I can't bring myself to care about ANYTHING in the game. I can't care about the characters because their sexualities have become more important than their personalities(Snark and funny lines have become the universal traits). I don't care about the gameplay because it's an offline MMO(and I haven't cared enough about MMOs since I was a kid playing EQ1) and there is no strategy to be had, therefore no challenge like Origins(seriously, the house dungeon in Denerim with the Blood Mage is the hardest fight in the entire game and on Nightmare it gives a Dark Souls-like payoff when you win.)

And you can say it isn't true, but it's what I found to be the case, you can like the game all you want, but there's nothing there for me to care about like in the previous games(yes, even 2 had interesting bits with the family and narrative being much smaller in scope, too bad it stopped being interesting a quarter of the way through and how badly they butchered characters.)

LetalisK said:
I agree(if DA2 didn't exist) but also disagree. I personally am not enjoying DA:I, but I can still appreciate why many do. That said, I'm taking a break and starting a new character in Skyrim since I never actually finished that game. Let's see if I ever get back to DA:I.
Best way to play Skyrim, give your character an inner monologue! Well, that and mods. Without mods it's still a fun experience since every cave's got a slightly different story going on even if you look around.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Redryhno said:
DementedSheep said:
You are claiming the reason people think bioware is drinking ?SJW kool-aid" with DA:I is because of the gay characters being front and centre instead of being actual characters but this really isn?t true.
No, I said Bioware games in general lately have gotten that way, I did not say Inquisition except in the specific examples I provided because I can't bring myself to care about ANYTHING in the game. I can't care about the characters because their sexualities have become more important than their personalities(Snark and funny lines have become the universal traits). I don't care about the gameplay because it's an offline MMO(and I haven't cared enough about MMOs since I was a kid playing EQ1) and there is no strategy to be had, therefore no challenge like Origins(seriously, the house dungeon in Denerim with the Blood Mage is the hardest fight in the entire game and on Nightmare it gives a Dark Souls-like payoff when you win.)

And you can say it isn't true, but it's what I found to be the case, you can like the game all you want, but there's nothing there for me to care about like in the previous games(yes, even 2 had interesting bits with the family and narrative being much smaller in scope, too bad it stopped being interesting a quarter of the way through and how badly they butchered characters.)

LetalisK said:
Best way to play Skyrim, give your character an inner monologue! Well, that and mods. Without mods it's still a fun experience since every cave's got a slightly different story going on even if you look around.
They asked why DA:I is SJW Kool-aid and you responded with "its teh geyz".
I don't even like the damn game that much, way to much tedious filler, too short if you all ignore that and the combat is ass. What I don't like is the claim that the non straight character are all about their sexualities when that it is so far off the mark it comes across as completely disingenuous.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
If you think Inquisition is their worst game, I'm going to take that to mean you thought ME3 was excellent. A lot of these complaints honestly make me think "Do you even remember how much of a bland, shittily-textured grind-fest DA:O was?" I loved DA:O, but Inquisition made DA:O look like a shitty F2P MMO. Let the past gleam with nostalgia if you want, but Inquisition is more user-friendly and far less of a series of a hallways where you turn darkspawn into bags upon bags of shitty grey items. They may have stuck to formula for this game for the most part, but that formula has refined and improved. As for the table: yes, I agree that the table grinds the game to a halt. But do you really feel the game would have been improved by shortening its runtime and not encouraging you to play side quests?
This whole narrative of games just getting worse and worse just makes my head spin. 2014 the worst year in gaming ever? Some of my favorite games came from 2014, so I have to wonder if I'm just that rare person who loves utter shit games.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Dude, read what I said and not what you want it to say to make a point. I said it was my opinion and how I'm seeing the start of a trend with Bioware games when you look at their history and how the writing has gone downhill in terms of character development basically becoming things like "the gay one" and "the edgelord".

I've done my required three responses, you wanna keep this up, go ahead and pm me and I'll try to respond, but this is blocking an actual conversation from happening about the game and not just the company in general.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Redryhno said:
DementedSheep said:
Dude, read what I said and not what you want it to say to make a point. I said it was my opinion and how I'm seeing the start of a trend with Bioware games when you look at their history and how the writing has gone downhill in terms of character development basically becoming things like "the gay one" and "the edgelord".

I've done my required three responses, you wanna keep this up, go ahead and pm me and I'll try to respond, but this is blocking an actual conversation from happening about the game and not just the company in general.

Redryhno said:
Bat Vader said:
How did Dragon Age: Inquisition drink SJW Kool-Aid?

On Topic: I have to disagree with the OP. Sure Inquisition had issues but I would have to say it is one of my favorite Bioware games. It is leagues better than Dragon Age 2 and I really like the characters. The Iron Bull and Josephine are awesome.
It could have to do with the inclusion of teh geyz as front and center as opposed to just being characters like everyone else in past games. Personally, when that's said, it translates to "Bioware doesn't exist anymore, it's mostly a new team of devs with the same title". Alot of the staff was let go or left around the time ME2 came out, and the founders retired, Bioware is not the same people that made Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, or even Origins.

*snipped because the second paragraph is not about DA:I*
Yet none of the characters actually are that.

I don't see how this blocking other conversations, forums are capable of supporting multiple people talking about different things is same thread.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
"an interesting idea with an absolutely dreadful implementation."
Sounds like bio-ware in a nutshell lately

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Yet none of the characters actually are that.

I don't see how this blocking other conversations, forums are capable of supporting multiple people talking about different things is same thread.
If you say so bud, but there's a thing called going off-topic, and we've done that pretty well for long enough and I'm done contributing to what is already devolving into gotcha territory. If you actually care about the conversation and not just your imaginary forum cred/post count, pm to continue. Otherwise, do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred word count.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Sagevallant said:
Dragon Age 2 was the game where they tried to do more than just "Vague Evil in the Land, wanna kill it?"

I'm not going to try and push it as the best game ever, the flaws of it being a rushed game are everywhere. But I like the Qunari arc, I like the feeling of being a guy just trying to build a life for himself and his family & friends. They didn't do enough with the narrative aspect of the storytelling, apparently it was there to facilitate the DLC more than anything else. I did like being able to wander the town and run into my party members doing things without me, it made them seem more like alive. The writing wasn't their best, the copy-pastes were laughable, the combat was still better than the PC controls on DA: I. I finished DA2 and I can't say the same about DA: I. No real desire to go back.
I agree with this. I was thinking about it the other day, for all it's flaws the idea of DA2 is pretty unique. There's no ancient horror being unleashed, no obvious end of the world crisis exactly. Just a guy moving to a city with his family, making friends, trying to earn a buck and then chilling with with his friends. It's just the rest of the world sweeps them up in in it's crap.

Like the parties in DA:O and DA:I have a lot of people thrown together who dislike each other, and only work together for the greater good. But you can imagine the DA2 companions meeting for a game of Wicked Grace at the Hanged man.

I'd enjoy seeing something like that in another game/series. You don't have to immediately have the big threat in the open. You can build up to it behind the scenes.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
wizzy555 said:
We have new consoles with new engines, performance is going to be crap for a while (yes even on PCs)
Sorry, out of everything in this thread so far this stood out.

Why exactly are new engines having trouble getting a smooth 60 FPS when decades old engines have no trouble reaching higher without even breaking a sweat when they were new (Crysis is still one hell of a PC workout)?

OT: The abysmal loading times are made abundantly clear when it takes upwards of 2 minutes on a bloody SSD. I Keep trying to play inquisition but after the fifth bout of Save corruption somehow nuking the entire save folder at once i just give up. What bits i did play didnt stick with me and some of the characters were godawful even by Bioware standards (Good lord that elf who's part of the "Friends of red jenny" or whatever she was made me long for a renegade interrupt to put an arrow between her teeth. I'd rather have Jar Jar following me around.) and they were pretty low after the Kai leng issue in ME3.

Alot of people also say "You can leave the hinterlands much earlier than people think" as some kind of point to defend it but neglect to remember that most of the other areas have woefully stronger crap than you'd be equipped to deal with and you wouldnt know such unless you'd gone through it once before and knew to grind yourself stupid. I've also heard people throw around the old "It gets better X amount of hours in." They said the same about FF13 and it wasnt a favorable point to that game either.

It may not be Biowares worst game ever but it's a damn close contender and they have alot of work to do to reach the status they once held. I mean hey atleast they didnt make Alpha protocol.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
DA:I occupies a strange place in my mind. I remember loving it on my first playthrough, despite the terrible PC controls and the increasingly unsatisfying main quest (everything up to the Fade was pretty cool, everything after the Fade got subsequently more terrible). My main gripes then were the controls, the futility of some quests (find letter, deliver letter, complete!) and the lackluster rewards for pretty much all quests. What especially frustrated me was that I took the time to gather all those shards and was expecting something akin to the rewards for the hidden Revenant quest in DA:O (the best shield in the game and one of the best weapons) but all I got was some seemingly randomly generated gear that was inferior to the stuff I already had.

But now I simply can't bring myself to do another playthrough. I just keep thinking of the tedium of having to run over all those large environments again, doing random quests that no one cares about, just to level up so I can complete the main quest. It feels as if the design team came straight from SWTOR and instead of someone telling them that MMO-design doesn't work in single player games they did their hardest to try and fit it in, which makes for a decent or good game on the first playthrough but for lots of tedium if you ever want to replay the game.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Sagevallant said:
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
I modded & loved Dragon Age Origins to bits, I played it three times and wouldn't be bad to check out which mods have come out in the meanwhile and play it all over again.

Looks like I did the right thing avoiding this like the plague. And Angry Joe managed to give it a 9/10 with a *BADASS* seal of approval... seriously, how much are worth your 20 silver pieces against this eternal stain on your credibility?
Not that big of a surprise, considering he loved the crap out of Skyrim too. And this is Dragon Age: Skyrim. Lots of wandering, scavenging, without all of that "direction" and "plot" that we "hated" about Origins.

The fact that the game does more for Skyrim fans than Dragon Age fans has the logical outcome. Skyrim fans love it and Dragon Age fans left feeling disappointed and neglected.
I am a Skyrim fan and a Dragon Age fan and i felt disappointed. It tries to be like Skyrim but it isn't really. Skyrim has a lot of unique and interesting quest lines, Inquisition has none. Skyrim has interesting dungeons EVERYWERE with usefull loot, treasures and shout abilities. Inquisition has boring dungeons with boring backstories, worthless loot and even worthless legendaries.
Skyrim has lots of flaws, but all of which get fixed through modding. Inquisition just has even more flaws.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
DA:I is a game that is so high on its own farts that its hilarious.

There are vestiges of what BioWare used to be in it. But unlike most other BioWare games....there was simply nothing about it that made me want to play it again.

They basically self awarded themselves a GOTY thankfully Monolith got a GOTY from the GDC to make up for that travesty.

Whats more the only expansion content so far for DA:I is shitty multiplayer maps designed to sell their freaking lotto boxes because nothing with an EA logo on it can simply just be a good game, it has to be a freaking ATM machine for investors.

I'll be slightly sad when BioWare finally breaks apart and EA shuts it down much like its done to so many other studios..but I know its in the cards in the future..the only upside to that is we might get some new dev houses made up of the better parts of what BioWare was that won't ever lock themselves under a soul crushing entity like EA again.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
BloatedGuppy said:
Well I finally finished it. Took me several months to do so, with long breaks inbetween. I'd like to say it was entirely due to other games being terribly compelling, but truth be told DA:I lost me repeatedly because it was so god damned tedious.

I'm honestly shocked at the acclaim it has gotten. The calls of a "return to form" for the studio, or that it is their best RPG in years. One writer even said it eclipsed Telltale in terms of high impact decision making and moral quandaries. I'd like some of what that writer was smoking when he wrote that. As much as I disliked KOTOR and raged at DA2's reused environments and ME3's shaggy dog of an ending, this feels like the worst calamity yet. A hapless stew pot of contradictory features and ideas held together by a ridiculously substandard central narrative and dogged by a host of questionable game design decisions.

Shall I substantiate?

MECHANICS

1. How anyone could play this game for 5 minutes and not immediately divine the need for a "loot all" function is beyond my wildest imagination. Manually scooting between tiny ground colored loot pouches, one for each of the half dozen enemies you just killed, is extraordinarily tedious. And the tiny inventory size ensures you'll want to be selective about what you loot, too, meaning you'll constantly be re-pinging the same pouch you just went over a minute ago.

2. On the subject of manually scooting, the inability to move-to-target with a click doesn't just make looting a chore, it makes melee combat a calamity. One the developers very evidently realized and tried to compensate for by including a variety of leap-to/charge-to target skills, or the ability to pull your target to you. It feels lousy.

3. Combat in general stinks. DA:O had good combat, DA2 had a mixed bag of combat, DA:I has almost entirely worthless combat. Difficulty scaling is accomplished through the tried and true "bag of hitpoints" method, made truly ridiculous when armor and barriers are added in. On normal difficulty your party of trans-dimensional demon slayers could easily spend upwards of two minutes whittling down the average bear. The "tactical" view is a cruel joke and almost entirely without merit.

4. The loot is lackluster, suffering from the same illness that dogged Diablo 3 at launch. There is little to no character to loot, it's all a bunch of generic gear with similar looking skins and bland stats. Rare or epic items are the same as regular items, just "more stats".

5. Crafting requires a ridiculous amount of resources, and resource gathering is an inexplicable chore (this, at least, is a time honored Bioware tradition). The might of the Inquisition can rattle nations, but can only manage to bring back 3 bits of stone, and you need 15 to make a pommel.

6. The War Table was an interesting idea with an absolutely dreadful implementation. World of Warcraft is a time sink MMO designed to be played for hundreds of hours, and its "follower" missions are both quicker/easier to run and infinitely more rewarding. What developer thought it was a good idea to dispatch a follower on a 10 hour mission, only to have them return with 30 influence and a grey item?

7. The game delights in shoehorning idiotic jumping puzzles into a game that absolutely cannot handle it. The terrible jumping and frictionless terrain make it an exercise in frustration and futility.

8. The vast open world areas can be traversed with a mount, but you can't interact with anything from it, it barely moves faster than your run when it canters, and if you move it to a gallop it will break stride the second it comes into contact with a pebble or protruding root.

STORY

1. Absolutely lame-duck central narrative, somehow eclipsing the first game's generic "A dread evil stalks the land" retread. The primary antagonist is lackluster, and the pacing is completely shot to hell. Even if you want to accelerate the central story you can't, because you have to "buy power" by doing pointless grub work out in the wilds.

2. A host of characters, some very good, some quite awful, none of which ever get to fully establish themselves because the usual spate of character building side quests has been abandoned in favor of bilious assloads of filler. You'll find nothing like ME2's companion quests here, instead you'll be returning Farmer Winterbutt's lost Druffalo or collecting bits of sparkly rock.

3. A lot of established factions acting very out of character for reasons that are never properly established in-game. There is no flow from story element to story element, just big story set pieces that frequently arrive out of nowhere, book-ended by some of the most dreary content ever to populate an RPG.

BUGS/ERRATA

1. The load times are the worst I've seen since the 90's. That the game delights in spiriting you to a separate location for a 30 second scene, with full load times in-between, only compounds the issue.

2. Lots of flickering textures and assorted weirdness in cut-scenes.

3. The inexplicable "drop to 30 FPS" or lower during cut-scenes, regardless of PC power.

4. War Table had a lot of visual bugs and issues. Hilariously cluttered, quest pegs staying on the board even once the quest was completed, one quest populating itself four times and actually overlapping with other quest pegs, making them impossible to click.

5. A handful of annoying crash to desktop incidences.

Some things work. The environments are absolutely gorgeous, and a ton of work went into them. The music was beautiful, the voice acting was top-notch. There are occasional stand out moments, most particularly the Orlesian Ball mission, which was so off the beaten path it actually served to highlight how lackluster most of the other content was. There were some genuinely funny moments, especially in banter, although they felt few and far between.

Ultimately the game seemed to validate the very worst fears one might have had at the concept of Bioware attempting to shoehorn a "Skyrim style" open world RPG into their series. Their "open world" was composed of a bunch of hilariously mazey, invisible-wall ridden areas packed to the absolute gills with dreadful, tedious questing. And it utterly decimated what would ordinarily be a point of strength...the central narrative, and the cast of companions. This game does not play to the studio's strengths. ME3's Citadel DLC showed that Bioware realized...too late for ME3...that what people really loved was their characters. It seemed promising, like they'd had an epiphany and would be returning to their roots. Instead, we get this lumbering abomination of a game, pulling itself in seventy different directions at once, and succeeding virtually nowhere as a result.

DA2 was an ambitious failure undone by a lack of development time and resources. ME3 was a dramatic finale that was derailed by an eleventh hour artistic coup. DA:I feels like a game that collapsed under the weight of feature creep, its merits obscured by one's inability to play a half hour without banging into a half dozen different wrongheaded decisions, bugs, or lousy mechanics.

I'm super annoyed with it, because it could have been so much better.
That's a great post.

I don't agree with all of it (personally I think ME3 was a lazy, laughable cash-in and nothing more), but on the whole I think you hit the nail on the head wher DA:I is concerned.

IS it worse than DA:2? Hmmmmm, personally I found DA:2 a more painful, excrutiating play than DA:I. Neither are fit to clean DA:O's boots, and but I didn't find DA:2 remotely pleasureable or enjoyable, whereas DA:I was more "meh" and disinteresting rather than it making me want to rip my own innards out with a dog chew.

But how on earth the game got the priase it did is astounding. Of course we all know there'll be some financial lubricating done on that score, but even so it's still astounding how highly regarded such a blatantly "meh" game is.

If Mike Laidlaw continues in this direction then who knows, in 20 years time we may have something half as good as DA:O was again.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well, hats off to you OP, I've found that game so disappointing I couldn't even bother to write that much about it.

The facepalm worthy story (Yay, time traveling evul magez and generic doomsday villains, and all factions going LET'S COOPERATE WITH THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL SURELY FURTHER MY GOALS!) alone with the boring MMO-like gameplay are reasons enough to question all the praise it got. They even managed to screw up an interesting, non-combat oriented quest with annoying puzzle hunt mechanics on a timer, because if you have to sit around and talk to people, gamers might get a stroke or something.

Interesting lore tidbits near the end and the occasionally enjoyable character moments couldn't save this game for me.

KingOfGreyfell

Oct 7, 2011
It's sounding rather uncomfortably like they made Ultima VIII: Pagan. Which was made by Origin. Which was given a nice, wet vivisection by EA a few years after. History repeats, and nobody has yet amassed an army to kill off EA.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I'm one of that odd group of people that continue to think ME3 is the best game I've ever played (don't give me a bunch of "you don't play enough games" bs responses. I'm likely older and have played more games than most of the people here). Certainly the original ending was "bleh" if you're being kind to it and the Javik day 1 DLC was unforgivable (I blame EA). However, the sum of the parts for me: ME3 + Javik + Leviathan + Extended Ending = my favorite game to date, with ME2 almost tied. I consider ME1 to be a great but terribly flawed game that was heavily eclipsed by DA:O which was superior at the time both as an RPG and in almost every possible mechanical way.

I have to agree with a lot the criticisms of DA:I and yet I found it to be terribly enjoyable as well. Mechanically, there are a lot of unbelievable problems (no click to move/loot, no area/loot all, click to move/attack missing is horrifying, the "tactical" view is unplayable, the lack of the old character tactics system is bad, mages were gutted). Even the simple fact that Corypheus comes off as incompetent and ineffective as a bad guy is a big let down. Still, I had a lot of fun with the game. Several of the new characters are great (Dorian, Bull, Sera, I even liked Solas). The story itself is decently engaging, and we finally see fallout of both the darkspawn story and the mage/templar stories.

Yes, there are too many large areas with too little substance. Of course, pursuing those areas to 100% completion is up to you. There is enough power in the most basic of quests to push through the entire story with very little sidetracking. My big complaint here is that I feel that they gave a lot of detail to these areas but didn't tie them to the world or narrative enough. Still, I don't feel like having a bunch of excess detail is necessarily something that brings down my experience.

I think my biggest complaint outside of the gutted mechanics is that the story itself is a bit too short. It feels to be about 25% longer than ME1, but has less of an epic feel in the late game than any of the ME games or DA:O. Once you get to Skyhold, it's pretty much Warden/Empress->Endgame and I feel like there should be at least 2-3 major story quests points that must be completed after resolving the Warden and Orlais quests.

Still, again, I enjoyed my 110 hour first playthrough quite a bit. I will play it again at some point when I have the inclination to try a different style. It certainly isn't, in my opinion, a bad game.

That said, I think people need to start being tolerant of other opinions. Angry Joe's credibility isn't shot because he gave the game a 9/10. I'd probably score it 8/10 if I thought scores had any meaning whatsoever, and there are plenty of other people who legitimately liked the game. Just like there are plenty of people who legitimately liked ME3. Just because you hated it or some aspect of it, doesn't make it bad. I accept that a lot of people loved Uncharted 1 and accept why they loved it, even though I consider the game an atrocity and one of the worst games I have ever played.

Personally, I think the worst Bioware game is vanilla NWN1. The story was un-engaging, the side characters were terrible, and the mechanics felt clunky as hell. Thankfully Hordes of the Underdark saved the overall title.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
LostGryphon said:
I was all set to say, "Nuh uh! Dragon Age II exists!" but then I remembered that I still haven't really even played Inquisiton, despite it sitting on my HDD for the last few months.

The PC controls are just abhorrent. I mean, genuinely, sincerely, awful.

And the kicker is this:

"The combat HUD was created specifically for PC-"

No.

Just no.

No and fuck you sideways.

"The tactical camera in pause and play is just like what you would expect from Origins-"

Oh.

Nevermind. They're just deliberately fucking with me.

EA's "USE FROSTBITE. USE THE PROPRIETARY ENGINE." mandate seems to have borked things quite a bit.
It the controls were definitely designed with consoles in mined, but with that said the console controls were far from spectacular either. They're like a mediocre cluster leaning to the console side.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Sagevallant said:
Emanuele Ciriachi said:
I modded & loved Dragon Age Origins to bits, I played it three times and wouldn't be bad to check out which mods have come out in the meanwhile and play it all over again.

Looks like I did the right thing avoiding this like the plague. And Angry Joe managed to give it a 9/10 with a *BADASS* seal of approval... seriously, how much are worth your 20 silver pieces against this eternal stain on your credibility?
Not that big of a surprise, considering he loved the crap out of Skyrim too. And this is Dragon Age: Skyrim. Lots of wandering, scavenging, without all of that "direction" and "plot" that we "hated" about Origins.

The fact that the game does more for Skyrim fans than Dragon Age fans has the logical outcome. Skyrim fans love it and Dragon Age fans left feeling disappointed and neglected.
Angry Joe is a Anita Sarkeesian White Knight, a self proclaimed SJW Leader and is quickly becoming a community proclaimed Jackass.

With that said I actually liked Skyrim but do not like DAI

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fappy said:
I enjoyed it overall, but I can't argue with most of these points. It had a lot of problems. I felt DA2 was far worse, however.
This is pretty much what I was going to say.

"Bioware's Worst" might be putting it a bit strongly, but like Fappy I can't really deny or even argue against most of the issues that you raise. DAII did pretty much everything wrong that could possibly be done wrong. Yeah, it had a cut-short development cycle, but that's just one of the many factors that would have me place it in the position of "Bioware's Worst".

Funny thing is, I still absolutely loved DAII because of its story. And no, Guppy, I have no intention of retreading that road with you. :p

Anyways, the biggest problem with DA:I is indeed that it's too big for it's britches. I had been itching for a game that I could really sink my teeth into...a nice long game that I could just piss hours and hours away by playing. Well DA:I gave me that...and then some. My first (and only thus far) playthrough clocked in at just over 115 hours. God DAMN! That's not a game, that's a frickin' commitment! And I didn't even go full-completionist on it as I had heard from a friend that beat it before me that after you beat the game you get to continue faffing about to finish up all the side-quests and such. So at about hour 80, I decided "screw all this exploration and questing, it's time to finish this *****!" and made a mad-dash for the ending...which came another 35 hours later.

So yeah, this game is drowning in filler and a lot of the quests are indeed stupidly...well...stupid. Fuck Farmer Winterbutt and his god damn druffalo! I'm the fucking Inquisitor, I've got better things to do than locate lost fucking cattle!

The mechanical issues never really bothered me all that much...and some of the ones Guppy lists in his OP I didn't even have to deal with since I played it on the PS4 rather than PC. Personally I liked the story though (but this comes from a guy who just said his favorite thing about DAII was the story so...yeah, take that for what it's worth).

And I don't care if the mount mechanics didn't work out too well (I honestly never had a problem with it, but I've heard plenty of people criticize the mounts)...riding a giant nugg was still fun. :3