Dragon Age Inquisition - Your favourite party member

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I will probably go for Varric. He was in my party all of the time during DA2, and I couldn't pass up a chance to have him my party again. I usually ran with Varric, Cassandra and Dorian.

As for my least favourite, I don't know, Cole kind of pissed me off because I never really knew what he wanted and everytime I made a choice, it always said in the corner "Cole disapproves". By the end, I just kind of gave up with him and I started to wish that he would just piss off.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Baffle said:
I find Solas overly serious (and hence dull),
Anyone else think he totally looks Arno Vosloo (Imhotep from The Mummy)?

and Sera annoying (and hence annoying).
Sera would've been great if there was any rhyme or reason to... well, anything she says or does. Bioware went a bit overboard with her quirkiness, making her feel just completely disjointed.

OT: I guess maybe Dorian, because he reminds me of Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda. Oh, and scout Harding, but maybe that's because I have thing for freckles and I know she being voiced by the same actress who did Liara from Mass Effect. You know Jen Hale's in there, too?! I didn't even recognize her. And Cassandra has that whole 'face that can cut through a mountain' thing going on, which I kind of dig.

On a whole though, pretty weak characters.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I have to go with Solas.
Did not think I'd like him at first, but he has a fascinating worldview and his entire, shall I say, "calling in life" is quite interesting. Very enjoyable character to talk to. Also, he [REDACTED].

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Eh... I found pretty much all of the cast fairly middling with more of a contest for the worst party member than the best. Actually, no, Sera was definitely the worst by a country mile.

If I had to choose a best, I'd probably go with either Blackwall or Dorian. I actually quite enjoyed Leliana but as she's not really a party member, she doesn't really count.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Sera! Number one babe! Kind of hard to play on nightmare though because I refuse to not bring her everywhere and I always play an archer myself. And then I like to bring Varric too... Lots of arrows. I know everyone and their grandma hates her, but tbh she's one of the most realistic characters in a Bioware game to date and also one of the only ones who actually challenge the protagonist in a meaningful way. Idk! I like characters that seem insane but actually have distinct patterns when you stop and look. Also I'm a big lesbian so that probably helps.

Runners up: Blackwall, Varric, and Dorian. Blackwall bc he is like the nicest dude on the team and (again) one of the more realistic in motivation. Doesn't hurt that he's the only companion who doesn't shit on Sera at some point or another. V and D are just hilarious and fun to have around though. No deeper reason than that!

[I know it's not the topic but least fave fluctuates between Solas and... Solas. I hate that guy. He seemed so cool, like some kind of toking hobo, but no, he was just a jerk. I even like Viv more than him and she's a piece of work!]

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I loved varric in da 2 but in this game he was surprisingly boring, my favorite was instead Solas. I liked Iron Bull too. Hated Cassandra though.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They were mostly boring. But Sara and Iron Bulls banter was funny. Especially the bit where she wanted to ride him like a tank and shoot arrows from his shoulders.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I have to go with Dorian. Secretly sweet, slightly bloodthirsty and his banter is to die for. Runners up are The Iron Bull and Cole. I liked them all really. Ok, not Blackwall and Sera at first, but they grew on me, like a fungus.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
After Varric, I found that my favorite companion is Blackwall/T.R. because he does want to help people, and I must say...it takes serious metaphorical balls to stand up and say "I'm the one you want! Kill me!" in defense of an man about to be hanged, no matter the circumstances.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
Cassandra and Blackwall make a nice pair, they undergo their own romance along the way which is very sweet.

I found Sera to be utterly obnoxious, I don't understand her character one bit.

My most enjoyable team was Dorian, Cassandra and Blackwall with myself as an archer.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Sera though she is far from perfect, somethings annoy me about her.

Varric and Dorian are good.

Ironbull had his momments.

Didn't give a shit about Cassandra, Blackwall, Cole or Solas.

Gave negative shits about Vivianne.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Honestly, it's hard to pick just one. Inquisition's cast was surprisingly solid, and I typically enjoyed interacting with all of them, as well as watching them interact with each other.

Took me a while to warm up to Sera, but while I don't think she was fully realized in what the writers wanted her to be, I did genuinely enjoy her by endgame.

As to favorites... hmm... probably Varric or Dorian, because like many gamers I'm always drawn to snark. Iron bull wins the "character I absolutely loved that I expected to be apathetic toward" award, though.

*as a dragon is circling overhead, ready to attack my party*

Iron bull: Before we get this started, let me just say... You're AWESOME, boss!

XD

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Phasmal said:
The Madman said:
How so? I played the generic 'good guy' role in Inquisition and by the end she was still pretty damned cold. I was under the impression that no matter what you did Leliana would still undergo her crisis of faith that ends with her straight up murdering someone in her personal mission, regardless of what you do.

I don't think evil was the right word to use for her, but she's definitely a stone cold killer by the end of Inqusition.
No, she didn't kill the person in her personal quest for me. She won't always do it. As far as I can tell from some lazy googling, there are a couple of things that determine whether or not she'll kill them.

Yeah, you have to interact with her regularly (I tended to talk to her after every story event), and react to her pragmatism with the appropriate amount of idealism. She spared the person in her personal quest for my playthrough, as well.

The funny thing is, if you soften her demeanor she becomes the most liberal of the Divine candidates, a fact that Vivienne lampshades as a weakness... but if you sided with the mages over the templars, and were kind to them, then Lelianna as Divine + Fiona's actions post game = the closest thing to an unambiguously golden ending for the mage-templar war.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Asita said:
There are two points to start softening her in Haven. The first is to offer her sympathy while she's praying and the second occurs during a scene where she's talking about how to deal with one of her spies who turned traitor. To soften her you need to tell her to spare this traitor.

The next instance occurs in Skyhold in a scene where she's lamenting pulling her scouts back before the attack on Haven. Softening her here requires that you validate the decision that she made, to tell her that she was right to pull the scouts back.

This culminates in the third instance which occurs when she's about to kill Sister Natalie. If you have done as suggested thus far, Leliana will listen to you if you tell her to spare Natalie. If you have not, she'll kill Natalie no matter what you say.

Finally, when she sees the box at the end of her questline, you have to tell her to stop beating herself up. If you do all this, she will be softened.
....FUCK! I think I did the first thing, but I know I fucked up the second one(actually, I'm not even sure about that). I don't even know how I would tell if I got the first one right, though. God damn it, and I have to get all of these right? I don't wanna start my game again. >.<

OT: Iron Bull, even though I never have him in my party. I like Dorian and Cassandra a lot too and they are in my party.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Cassandra probably. She had a decent arc and an interesting way of personifying the positive aspects of faith rather than reiterating the blind zealot archetype.

Varric and Dorian had their moments too, and Solas had some interesting insight. I also enjoyed Cole's arc of debating whether it's inherently better to be more human, but I could see why some people think he was too cloudcuckoolander.

Casual Shinji said:
Sera would've been great if there was any rhyme or reason to... well, anything she says or does. Bioware went a bit overboard with her quirkiness, making her feel just completely disjointed.
I didn't know where I stood with Sera. I liked the moments where she was one of the only characters to call out the higher-ups and nobles for how asinine their game of killing each others' underlings were, but then she turns around and admits she has absolutely no plan or end goal to the violent disorder her group tries to perpetuate.

Catchy tavern song though.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
LetalisK said:
Asita said:
There are two points to start softening her in Haven. The first is to offer her sympathy while she's praying and the second occurs during a scene where she's talking about how to deal with one of her spies who turned traitor. To soften her you need to tell her to spare this traitor.

The next instance occurs in Skyhold in a scene where she's lamenting pulling her scouts back before the attack on Haven. Softening her here requires that you validate the decision that she made, to tell her that she was right to pull the scouts back.

This culminates in the third instance which occurs when she's about to kill Sister Natalie. If you have done as suggested thus far, Leliana will listen to you if you tell her to spare Natalie. If you have not, she'll kill Natalie no matter what you say.

Finally, when she sees the box at the end of her questline, you have to tell her to stop beating herself up. If you do all this, she will be softened.
....FUCK! I think I did the first thing, but I know I fucked up the second one(actually, I'm not even sure about that). I don't even know how I would tell if I got the first one right, though. God damn it, and I have to get all of these right? I don't wanna start my game again. >.<

OT: Iron Bull, even though I never have him in my party. I like Dorian and Cassandra a lot too and they are in my party.
Yep. Sorry to say that by - to my understanding - they're all required. The traitor bit, at the very least, is usually treated as one of the lynchpins. I didn't even know about this feature until I decided to check what people did for the traitor option, and the variation I saw didn't mention the prayer thing, which I think I did, but like you I'm not sure. I've got 50 hours on that playthrough now, so I'm certainly not resetting her now, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
1. Arrows, because she's fun to use.
2. Bull.
3-(n-1). Everyone else except Cole.
n. It, must cut himself.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I absolutely loved Blackwall, he's such a genuinely good and remorseful guy with some really funny banter, his companion quest was probably one of my favorite in the game especially when I was romancing him; Dorian, his dialogue is really funny and his personal quest caused me to feel actual human sadness; Cassandra cuz she's kickass and adorable, with a lot of depth, a solid romance and a good arc; Cole because he's in the books and I liked him there and he was cool in the game too; and Solas, because as others have said he has a really interesting worldview and obviously SPOILERS.

Aside from that, I was sorta ambivalent about Sera, Varric and Iron Bull, they were likeable enough but they didn't really click with me. Obviously, it was nice to see Varric again after DA2 and his banter with Hawke is cool.

And FUCK Vivienne, God she's just such a massive ***** and she's so pretentious and unapolgetic about it.

In general, I thought the cast for DAI was probably the most solid in the series, larger than DAO's and DA2's but with suprisinginly deep, interesting, and engaging characters all around.