Dragon Age: Inquisition's Co-op Multiplayer Sounds Familiar - Update

danielcofour

May 6, 2014
Longing said:
i am a fangirl. i have bought every single bioware game and have supported them for years.
bioware is a single player company. i want them to stop with the fucking multiplayer already and go back to their root and just focus on making a solo experience like they used to do (I know older games used to have mp as well, but it didn't feel as vital as nowadays).

It started with the Old Republic and now their new project is just glorified multiplayer and for someone like me who anxiously awaits every single bioware title, the start of this decade has been very disappointing for me and I dread to think of the future for this company.

clearly, they're out for money now or there wouldn't be a fucking mass effect 4. i'm honestly just so cautious about dragon age now and i desperately want to be wrong.
Thanks for not reading my comment, but responding anyway with the same things I already commented on. Truly. Thanks.

ailurus

Aug 25, 2010
Well, if they do fully divorce it from the SP (rather than repeatedly hitting you over the head with "the galaxy is DOOOOOOMEEDDD! play MP to save it" like they did in ME3), my main concern is are they going to make tweaks to the abilities that cause them to break in SP and then just ignore fixing them for months, like the did with ME3.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
EyeReaper said:
Unless something cool was cut to make room for this. That's the only reason I can see to shun extra content (and the promise of free DLC down the line)
Given EA and Bioware's recent past, it seems very likely that all sorts of things have already been cut, and we will have to purchase separately. Javik would be a perfect example of this, the game was clearly designed with him in mind but to really experience the game fully you have to buy his DLC.

I'm not really pissed about MP being added, I just feel like it is superfluous to me - I don't like MP, unless it is two people on one machine - because that is super fun. Over the 'net, I couldn't care less and won't use the feature - should I decide to buy the game.

I hope MP is good for the people who choose to play it though. Honestly, Bioware has really hurt its reputation and could use a few shots in the arm of success over the next little while.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I really liked and spent a lot of time on Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. There was some real teamwork required to make it past the hardest difficulties and almost all the available classes had some really cool mechanics and combos to them.
Even if the game was delayed for this, I'd be fine with that, because it can put a lot of value in, if they do it right.

BUT...

STOP with the RNG lottery effing microtransactions already. It's hilariously obvious why they put it in of course. They know some people will throw bucketloads of cash through the window just to get that one shiny hat they want, even if they have to open a million chests that contain nothing of value.

Even I got hooked and reeled in for a bit when the N7 characters were released. I wanted a full set of them and spent a good bit of money to buy a bunch of the highest-quality chests. Needless to say: NEVER AGAIN.
Yes I know you can keep earning ingame stuff to unlock them, but the MP isn't so fun that it's worth 1000's of hours of grind to me.

Give people something they are happy to buy and enjoy having once they bought it, not an endless stream of disappointing lotteries (for most).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
You know, I don't mind it. I rather enjoyed Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, I'm sure I may enjoy this one as well. I'll wait and see before I pass final judgement. At the least it may just be a fun past time.

chainguns

Oct 28, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Assuming this, I can point out that BioWare is not a company and has not existed as a company since October 2007. Bioware does not have a board of directors, does not issue stock, nor publish annual financial statements.

They are a division of Electronic Arts.

I know I'm arguing semantics based on an assumption, but it amazes me just how often people think BioWare is its own entity. They are not. They are Electronic Arts.
Well, since you are arguing semantics and off topic, at least get it right. BioWare does have directors (common ones with EA), its own stock does exist and is held by EA and since it (BioWare) is not publicly listed (it is held by EA) it does not need to publish financial statements (EA publishes consolidated financial statements). Just because EA labels BioWare a "division" in press memos does not mean that legally BioWare ceased to exist. In 2007 BioWare was not merged into EA, but its stock was acquired by EA.

All of which is irrelevant semantics because although BioWare are alive and well as a separate entity, they function as division and have lost their soul and identity to their new owners.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Not gonna lie.

I feel kind of stupid for not seeing this coming.

Yet again I'm going to wait until we see more of how this multiplayer is implemented
before I start chomping at the bit. Though of course, my initial reaction is not positive,
after not enjoying ME3's co-op.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Why is everyone freaking out over this? I enjoyed the HELL out of MP in Mass Effect 3, some of the best time with the game after the campaign was over. I can't wait for this, I wish they hadn't pushed it back a month.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Someone explain to me what the heck this means, and why restricting gold is a good idea.
There are secret rooms each class can get into. So maybe there is a locked door or chest, you need the rogue. Maybe there is a rickety wall, the warrior has to kick it down. Or maybe there is a magic ward, the mage can dispel it. If you don't have a balanced party there are some rooms you won't be able to get into and some loot will be missed, that's all.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Don't worry everyone, there's no pay to win. There's only gambling! Which as we all know is so much more wholesome, ethically sound, and subject to no restrictions in certain Asian nations.
Meh, it's the same as ME3 and that wasn't banned anywhere IIRC.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Yeah, funny how people like their tactical combat RPG to involve tactical combat that requires you to co-ordinate your movements and positioning.
When you're controlling a single character rather than a whole party (as you will in MP), why do you need the tactical view?

otakon17 said:
Why is everyone freaking out over this? I enjoyed the HELL out of MP in Mass Effect 3, some of the best time with the game after the campaign was over. I can't wait for this, I wish they hadn't pushed it back a month.
Ditto!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Optimystic said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Someone explain to me what the heck this means, and why restricting gold is a good idea.
There are secret rooms each class can get into. So maybe there is a locked door or chest, you need the rogue. Maybe there is a rickety wall, the warrior has to kick it down. Or maybe there is a magic ward, the mage can dispel it. If you don't have a balanced party there are some rooms you won't be able to get into and some loot will be missed, that's all.
Thanks, that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Yeah, funny how people like their tactical combat RPG to involve tactical combat that requires you to co-ordinate your movements and positioning.
When you're controlling a single character rather than a whole party (as you will in MP), why do you need the tactical view?
It would still be helpful. If this game is anything like DA2 and adds spawn during the middle of the fight, having a wider, top-down view of the battle would allow you to spot them and reposition before they're on top of you. The low-down third person camera often means that you miss what's going on around you.

List

Sep 29, 2013
come on guys...

We all know that EA is greedy but we also know that their not THAT stupid, they've been experimenting with micro transactions since Dead Space 3, which got a lot of flak because it's in the single player.
Then they tried it again on Mass Effect 3 with a tacked on multiplayer, with micro which didn't directly affect the campaign, but still got flak cause you need to play multiplayer for galactic readiness. Then they experimented with player's patience with Dungeon Keeper 3, they seem to be looking for the player's wall before they start complaining about progression.

Then here comes Dragon Age 3 with tacked on multiplayer again, but this time they said it's gonna independent from the campaign.So the progression is probably well controlled to psychologically manipulate people to buy their "packs" like in Mass Effect multiplayer but still progress enough to not get flak like dungeon keeper.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I'm sure it says something when JUST NOW I came to realize that the game is actually called "Inquisition"

I haven't cared about an EAware game since the first Dragon Age, and probably Kotor before that, but this one for some reason just has absolutely nothing at all to catch my attention but I'm still trying to figure out why. Might be them turning the second one into a dull "fantasy Mass Effect" but I dunno.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I dunno what to feel about this anymore..I didn't particularly like ME3's multiplayer but I was forced to play it to get full readiness (which was a chore).

And thus this having to relation to the single player campaign is good then, but I still don't like them focusing on adding a multiplayer mode in a game that doesn't need it.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I played ME3 multiplayer alot, and I expect I'll enjoy this alot too. Well I don't know if I enjoyed ME3 multiplayer, I did play it a lot. I mean the combat was just alot less smooth than it was in the single player. Plus I think I was just trying to get characters I have still not gotten to this day. Free content, but randomized rewards with micro-transaction? I think I like that idea.

One change though, they should definitely add bots. We use four man teams in the single-player, why not here. At the very least they should use the maps in both single and multiplayer like they did in ME3.

pvaglueman123

Aug 6, 2009
Good lord, Internet. If you liked the look of Inquisition before this announcement, nothing has to change. Multiplayer will be an OPTIONAL OPTION that you never have to experience if you don't want to. I get your rage over the Microtransactions but the inclusion of Multiplayer won't affect the single player (At least not in a tangible way, it might have had some impact on the development time but we weren't there so we'll never know will we?)
Personally, i'm cautiously optimistic. Mainly because i'm wondering how Inquisition's Combat will work in a multiplayer perspective. I'll certainly give it a shot, however and if it's even half as good as ME3's then i'll be in bliss.
I will have to install Origin though, that's like giving my Laptop Cholera...

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
I'm mad. I had an ounce of hope that this would be the tactical RPG from their past, but this proves me wrong.

This is no longer a CRPG. It is a hack'n'slash with dialogue options.

The focus of the game has completely changed, just like with Mass Effect turning into a worse version of Warframe with binary dialogue options. And the characters still have the anime-esque armor from DA2 instead of the overtly practical armor from DA:O. Bioware still has their fans who will see everything they do as awesome, but they lost me. They've lost me ever since I played ME3 and realized that it wasn't the ending that sucked but the entire game.