Dragon Age: Origins Reigns Supreme as Best-Selling BioWare Game.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
I checked vgchartz a few weeks ago and Mass Effect 1 has sold more than Mass Effect 2, most sequels have sold less actually. Weird.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Congrats to Bioware. I hope this can show that a new IP can be powerful and that not everything has to be a sequel to be successful. Sure, sequels are appreciated and i can't wait for DA2, but don't constrain yourselves with "primary and other" IPs, because it's not entirely the IP that makes the game successful. With your attention to story and detail, experience and all round expertise in doing what you do, you could make anything into a great game.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Dragon Age was a very good WRPG, but in my opinion it also was Bioware's worst game to date (yeah, ok, maybe it was a bit better than the Baldur's Gate 1, but that's a meaningless comparison). It also featured some of the worst value for money DLC to ever appear in the gaming industry. For me, while the game was playable and enjoyable, it also felt "factory-made", like the immediate product of a strict and restrictive set of game development rules rather than the product of passion and inspiration. It was also not mod-friendly, which dramatically reduced its value.

For the sequel, I would love to see Bioware break free from their self-inflicted restrictions. I'd like to see them spice up their "standard fantasy setting" a bit and attempt to catch us off-guard. I can't think of a moment in DA where I went "Wow, this is awesome, how did they think of that?", which is something that I thought multiple times during Demon's Souls for example, and that's strange since DA can be a much deeper game than DS. I'd also like to see more original character design, since their usual stock characters, although high quality, have become a bit repetitive. I'd finally like to see them try more to support free user-made content and create a powerful, user-friendly editor that will attract independent artists and their ideas. In my Neverwinter Nights game box I have a separate cd-case with 2 DVD-R's full of user made campaigns of STELLAR quality. I want this kind of community back, and I want Bioware to actively pursue this rather than putting out 3 hour DLC's for 15$. Don't you dare disappear into the dark side, Bioware. We need you.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Honestly I think a lot of it's success can be attributed to word of mouth. I have tons of friends both online and in real life that had never heard of it until me or one of my friends told them about it.

The game just has a great reputation, and fans love to talk about it.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Look at that. A multi-platform title sells better than an exclusive. Who would have thought?

If you're not owned by either Sony, MS or Nintendo, there is no business sense in keeping your game exclusive.

The war of exclusivity will evolve, with the big three buying more developers and a bidding war for exclusive content, rather than an exclusive game. Microsoft fired the first shot with the GTA4 expansions, and Sony finally got on board with Batman: AA and continued the push this year at e3.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
They spent a bundle on the game, what with all of the voice overs and animations and attention to detail and massive story. It'd be nuts to think they weren't aiming for some sort of commercial success. At least enough success to make their money back anyways.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Great, they're gonna think it's better than Baldur's Gate 2 now (and I guarantee that would've sold more if publishers other than Atari could sell games with DnD attached).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Wrds said:
Honestly I think a lot of it's success can be attributed to word of mouth. I have tons of friends both online and in real life that had never heard of it until me or one of my friends told them about it.

The game just has a great reputation, and fans love to talk about it.
This. I have a couple of friends whom I'd never thought would play a game like this, but they quite surprised me.

They haven't shown any interest in the Mass Effect series, however.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Stubee said:
Makes is a shame that they obviously focused most of their time on ME2 and as a result DA came out, a bit unpolished should we say?

Dont get me wrong, i loved it to bit but the graphics were pretty dismal. Especially when we know what bioware are capable of
Every bioware game I have played to date has been very unpolished on release date. Hell, nearly every bioware game is still unpolished with all the game breakin bugs that fill their games. Dragon Age Origins still has some of those bugs in the game to this day. Not that I dont think their games are great (well...I dont actually, merely find them good but thats a different discussion for a different time), but to call Dragon Age out for bein unpolished considerin Biowares track record for lack of polish? Seems like callin someone out for havin the reddest shirt in a red shirt factory.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I wouldn't see why not. One thing that Dragon's Age has over other recent Bioware products is challenge. Mass Effects were both way too easy even on vet modes.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
You left out a big part of that quote.

"Dragon Age was an extremely successful title for us - last November it was the single most globally successful title we've put out to date," said Rob Bartel, BioWare's principal designer. "And what we need to stress is just how little we learned from that. Rest assured, Dragon Age: Origins selling as many copies as it did isn't going to stop us from radically changing directions to enter the already crowded CoD-clone market. We're already working on DA2 DLC that will tell the story of how guns came to Ferelden. Dragon Age 3 will include some bitchin' multiplayer maps and this one part where you ride on a cart being pulled by a horse, shooting behind you while you're being chased!"