Dragon Age Writer Suggests That Everyone Just Calm Down

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Well as long as Hawke has an interesting personality and isn't a complete muscle-bound tit like the picture suggest, all should be fine. It would be nice to hear some voice acting from the PC instead of a mute like in KotOR. Also Bioware has a damn good track record so at the very least it will be entertaining.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Woodsey said:
He's right, of course, but still:

"simplified combat."

Why does the combat need to be simplified? The nice thing about having Origins and ME2 at the same time was the way they both approached being RPGs in different ways. I.e. Origins was "hardcore".

It's not like the combat was difficult to get to grips with - although it was bastard hard to play in some cases. Still, I liked that.
And just because something is real time doesn't mean it's simple. You could have to worry about positioning, timing, and so on. Is Ninja Gaiden simple?, is Virtua Fighter simple?. Good combat is simple and easy at first glance, but gains more depth as you get better

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Therumancer said:
Kraj said:
D_987 said:
Paragon Fury said:
You've already announced that you are completely forgoing one of the most interesting and praised things about the first game.

Yeah, I think people have a right to question you and be pissed.
I agree; at the same time, having just finished Leliana's Song I am a lot more hesitant to criticise Dragon Age 2 - that DLC has a pre-set main character, with a voice and back-story, yet was probably the best quest in Dragon Age - certainly the most personal. If Dragon Age 2 is like that piece of DLC then I'll be happy.

However, the whole "simplified combat" is still worrisome...
... "people" have no right to be "pissed". Its their game; they can build it as they want. Making a judgement call on such minimal information is foolish for anyone to do in almost any situation, especially a video game thats barely through beginning stage production. . . seriously guys. seriously. If "people" are "pissed" maybe they can GET A JOB THERE AND DO IT THEMSELVES if their so awesome. :>_>

just my 2 cents. :D

I think your missing an important point here. Bioware leaked information looking for feedback from the community. The feedback they are receiving is negative, which they apparently did not expect despite the purpose of their "feelers". Not wanting to change the game radically they are resorting to a "well, you don't know anything because we haven't released enough info" as a sort of cop out. Truthfully given what happened with "Mass Effect 2" when similar things were said, it's not surprising a lot of RPG game players are upset.

Generally speaking when they drop a bomb like this, they have no right to take the approach they are using, and if they think the conclusions based on what they said are "unfair" then they should prove why by releasing the information.

Being a cynic the vibe I get from this is that Bioware doesn't want to release more information because they are concerned it will ruin their chances of marketing what they have already produced. Basically if they can convince people that the problems being complained about are not an issue, people will buy the product and then complain when Bioware has already made it's money. Them basically trying to avoid the whole problem that "Alan Wake" had when Remedy revealed that they had scrapped making the game a "Sandbox", which is also when a lot of the support for the game seemed to erode.

I for example am not going to be running out to pre-order a collector's edition of "Dragon Age 2" if it's a shallow shadow of the RPG that the original was. "Mass Effect 2" sold so well becase I think a lot of people like me who ordered it did not fully realize exactly how dumbed down it was and how much of the RPG mechanics were missing on release. By the time we figured this out, it was too late other than post-purchuse complaining. Honestly I probably still would have bought "Mass Effect 2" but I would not have paid full price for it, or budgeted money to get it immediatly after release. This kind of attitude about waiting is not the kind of thing Bioware wants to see though.

Truthfully I think the strong sales, and positive reviews (from professionals) of "Mass Effect 2" deluded Bioware into thinking that the success of the game was due to that simplification and shooter-fication (a new word!), which is why it's being emulated for "Dragon Age 2". I think they are oblivious to how much "Mass Effect 2" divided the player base, and for all of the praise out there, there were just as many people vocally expressing dismay over the changes. Things like "we wanted you to improve the inventory system and itemization, not remove it entirely!".

At any rate as the customers who are going to be buying this, we DO have the right to be POed, and some right to expect a quality product. That's what this is about, people saying that the changes being mentioned are not a good thing (and the response has so far been overwhelming as far as I've seen) and pretty much saying that they aren't going to support the game going in this direction.

Fans tend to get loyal to franchises, and "Dragon Age" might have just started, but a lot of people see a lot of potential there, and are irritated about it being squandered when if they don't dumb it down this could be the next great fantasy RPG franchise. Making a bad game that they don't want hurts the fans who won't have their RPG fix.

Simply put "Origins" came out less than a year ago, and the new installment is being planned for early next year which means that it will only be a bit over a year between installments. "Dragon Age" was more successful than they anticipated it seems, and I get the impression they are trying to jump on a sequel while the fire is hot. The simplication allows them to build the game a lot quicker, and they can justify it by pointing to the way "Mass Effect" was dumbed down. Bioware pretty much came out and said that the new game in a series that was possible due to reasonably large amounts of character customization (skill, abillity, and attribute selection, a vast arsenal of weapons and armor, etc...) and an attention getting "origin" system that impacted the game's development based on what kind of character you were playing would not involve any of these elements. Nope, now we'd get a simplified character and combat system (when the relative depth was part of the appeal), and would be handed a guy named "Hawke" who would always begin as a Refugee instead of being able to have any real choices in who we wanted to play.... but hey, it's all good because in exchange for all of that he'll have a voice actor (who for all we know is some Hobo they hired on the corner, who tries to change is voice to sound like a girl for a female character option if you choose that route).... needless to say Bioware got their head bitten off by the fan base of the game that wanted all the stuff being removed, and now they are getting all butthurt because of it.

For anyone who read this far (the person I'm responding to, or in general) my basic advice to Bioware would be to keep what assets as far as artwork and such can be salvaged, scrap this whole "Hawke" idea except maybe to have "Refugee" as one of the possible character backrounds, and develop the game as deeply (system, story, and origin wise) as the previous installment. Generally speaking I'd expect it to take a couple of years to do right. With all of the DLC and such being released I was *really* surprised to find that Dragon Age 2 was coming out so quickly. Basically I think they'd do better to take an extra year or so to do a proper sequel, rather than what seems to be a rapidly conceived cash in product from what they are saying (and honestly, what they said stands on it's own pretty bloody well, there is no way to dress up those statements. Simplified is simplified. One origin is one origin, being handed a guy named Hawke is being handed a guy named Hawke... maybe I want my guy to be named Bobo or George or Glorfindel or whatever else).

Some people have been wondering how Bioware could be keeping all these balls in the air while maintaining their level of quality. I mean they are juggling Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and a major MMORPG project at the same time. Simply put I think this is showing that they simply can't because it seems to me that the "Dragon Age" ball is coming awfully close to hitting the ground.
I love you. please let me hire you on as a my own personal secretary. you could amaze the masses with your linguistic skills.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The only thing I'm really worried about is the conversation system.
Are they going to make the top option "good" and bottom option "evil" like in Mass Effect? If so, I might skip this game. I hated that about Mass Effect. If they add a good/evil meter, too, then I'm definitely skipping it, unless they drastically improve the gameplay.

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
Really, the only problem I have with it is that there's one option for the main character. It gets to me a bit when I talk up a game company for their great work and having good character options both male and female... and then they go back to the standard old one-man-protagonist.

Yes, it'll let them focus on a lot more stuff, etc etc. But I really, really appreciated the fact that they put in a male and female voiced protagonist for Mass Effect 2. That might not be a big deal to a lot of people, but it was to me.

I'll still play it, I'll love it, I'll even pre-order it. But I can't say I'm not disappointed by the narrowing of choices.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Aside from their awful writing and other failings, I was disappointed the in-game screens don't look like the more cartoony-style concept art. Aside from raising rather false expectations of what might've been a nice stylistic change, it's sort of a "fuck you" to the art department.

golgoth

Mar 24, 2010
I wonder why voice acting is a big deal i think most of us end up mashing buttons to skip it instead of listening to sub par voice acting, it happened with mass effect one and it may very well happen with Dragon Age 2.
I also can't understand why they would change the combat system completely, wasn't the game being hardcore one of the selling points for the game?

JstaGamer129

Jul 20, 2010
With everybody concerned about "simplified combat" I feel that the community is moving to what they hate. Simplified combat does not mean that the tactics have to be taken out, but it could mean that it is less hard to use, or works and flows smoother, maybe it just lets you use it in a more interesting, stylized way, yet that is just what I HOPE it is compared to what everyone else HOPES it is not.

As long as the combat is smooth and tactical(hopefully less like any MMO), the relationships have a strong part, and the game is long. I feel there is not too much too worry about.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
stuartm650 said:
I believe Mr. Gaider misses the point entirely. What made Dragon Age so great was the story and the ability to play that story from many perspectives. Now it seems that we have a sequel completely unrelated to the Warden protagonist, his companions or the Morrigan story line. Instead we are stuck playing a game on rails with a protagonist we cannot even name. I'm sorry, but it seems to me the originality of the Dragon Age series is already gone. All I can think is that the DA2 is a bridge between DA and DA3 so that after the end of Hawke's 10 years we are introduced to the 10 year offspring of Morrigan and the Warden. But I think that's wishful thinking.
You do realize thats only one possible endining correct? Their are many different secenarios is it possible, yes. However I highly doubt Bioware would base their game around one possible story line when they to include all possible conculsions. Look at ME2 for example.

JstaGamer129

Jul 20, 2010
Primus1985 said:
stuartm650 said:
I believe Mr. Gaider misses the point entirely. What made Dragon Age so great was the story and the ability to play that story from many perspectives. Now it seems that we have a sequel completely unrelated to the Warden protagonist, his companions or the Morrigan story line. Instead we are stuck playing a game on rails with a protagonist we cannot even name. I'm sorry, but it seems to me the originality of the Dragon Age series is already gone. All I can think is that the DA2 is a bridge between DA and DA3 so that after the end of Hawke's 10 years we are introduced to the 10 year offspring of Morrigan and the Warden. But I think that's wishful thinking.
You do realize thats only one possible endining correct? Their are many different secenarios is it possible, yes. However I highly doubt Bioware would base their game around one possible story line when they to include all possible conculsions. Look at ME2 for example.
It also says in the game informer that your actions, (Such as if alistar is king of fereleden or if behlen or harromont is king of orzamar) from DA:O can effect DA:2. They also specifically say and I quote, the quote "'we are certainly not done with Morrigan's story,' hints lead designer Mike laidlaw. 'I can say that'" as well as that the dragon in the screenshots is Flemeth, directly relating it to the morrigan story line.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I said this a couple days before my issue came in the mail.

And while Flemeth will return it also said DA:2 takes place in the same timeline as Origins, right after Lothering is destroyed(which I always wanted to see.

Actually im wondering how they will implement all the different outcomes, what about if you amde yourself King of Ferelden, or Queen Anora, what if you made Alistar leave like a ***** because you let Logain live, what if you dont agree to Morrigans ritual and soemone dies.

FYI I let Logain live to be a Grey Warden and didnt do Morrigans ritual so Logain would have to kill the Archdemon and die a hero. I felt Ironic punishment is the sweetest, if he wants to be the big hero of ferelden then he can learn a very important lesson, Hero's die. Just like all the heros that sacrificed themselfs at Ostigar, his penance is to die a hero. He still dies, so justice is served.

havass

Dec 15, 2009
Biodisaster said:
Change is bad, haven't you heard?
If you're afraid of change, give it to me.

All puns intended.

OT: Please no moral alignment crap. I'm already sad that that they changed the view to permamently fix it at third person. Now PC gamers lose the advantage they had over the consoles: Bird's eye view.

wellhereiam

Jul 4, 2010
Whoa what?! I was on board with all those changes up until the "simplified combat" I didn't buy Dragon Age for simplified combat. I bought it for the exact opposite. I'm going to have to wait this all out and see what they changed exactly. If it's anything like what it sounds like I doubt I will be buying this game.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Im willing to give anythign a shot, and ill wait tell the game comes out to see how I feel, and its Bioware, I trust them.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
[small]finally, a topic relevant to vent my new-found fury at ME2[/small]
Meh, I'm not going to buy it.

I don't trust Bioware after Mass Effect 2.

I just gave up on Mass Effect 2 after a constant parade of shit.
First the DLC wouldn't work (I had the game about a week before I could play it).
Then there was no inventory.
The characters were pretty unlikable (I can't be the only one who wanted to stab miranda. Not like that, you dirty people. I mean with a metal sword made of hate.)
There were about four skills
The combat went on forever.
The ammo system was annoying and made no sense after the first game.
I finally gave up when, after a twenty minute combat sequence, the last enemy left glitched on top of a railing, killed me and I had to start again. I'd pressed quicksave about fifty billion times, but nooo, I can't quicksave in combat, so I have to start again.

Also, Pressley was dead.

So yeah, I'm glad I didn't buy it at full price, still wish I hadn't wasted money on it at all.

I'm expecting the same dumbing down in DA2, so I'm not buying it.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
blue_guy said:
Bato said:
I just know they are going -snip-
That's one of the only things I'm worried about. The DA:O alignment system was actually like real life (IE How your peers react is your main restraint). I think they could do with making it more forgiving though, it was extremely limiting when the only healer in the game would leave if you performed certain actions, making it almost impossible to actually finish the game as an evil character.

Better than MEs omniscient karma-meter though.
I've never been able to play Evil in a Bioware game.
They kick you in the balls too much. That's like the attraction to do evil acts, it's easier, or a bigger payoff, or some perk at all. But Bioware turns it into a multiple choice question with one clear answer, play good, it gets you ton of money, items, experience, whatever with no sacrifice.