Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and all things there-of.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Honestly, how has no one started a DBX topic on here yet? Surely I can't be the only one here that not only got the game but is enjoying it quite thoroughly.

So in absence of any other DBX topic, here's one for general discussion of the game!

What was your first character? Are you a striker or a beamer? What do you really like about the game? What do you not like about the game? All these topics and anything else regarding the game is fair play to discuss.

As for me, my first character was a female Majin that I named Buubs...classy, I know. :p

I hit some rough patches here and there, but over all didn't have too much trouble with the story mode...especially after I learned how to out-cheese the cheesy computer on the harder difficulties.
Step 1: Get the ability that lets you charge your ki.
Step 2: Spam the crap out of the Giant Beam-o-Death Ultimate of your preference (for me that was Perfect Cell's Perfect Kamehame).
Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The sad part about this is that I was previously one to prefer a good ol' bout of fisticuffs with the opponent, getting down and dirty and just pummeling them with my fists of fury! However there's a number of side-missions where the AI gets to blatantly cheat. You see, the SSJ and SSJ2 form power-ups drain your ki rapidly, but in exchange you have unlimited use of your special moves...ultimates included. There's a large number of side-missions where you have to go up against saiyajins...often several at a time. And they start out with - and permanently retain - a SSJ or SSJ2 form. What does this mean? Well since they didn't actually use the power-up and instead have it set as their default status, they basically have infinite Ki and thus there's absolutely nothing to stop them from just spamming the absolute fuck out of their ultimates...and they're more than happy to do just that.

Yeah, it's not really a "Final Flash" if you're firing off 4 of them in a row...that's really fair, Vegeta... :p

As such, I figured if the AI was just going to spam the fuck out of Giant Beam-o-Death ults then I might as well return the favor! The difference is I still have to charge up my Ki...while they just get to let'em rip as much as their little saiyajin hearts desire.

Still, though, I'm really enjoying the game. Other than the Infinite Ammo SSJs in side-quests, my biggest complaint about the game is how the multiplayer is utterly broken. Literally. Best I can guess is they didn't think the game was going to be as big as it turned out to be and as such were drastically unprepared for the amount of traffic their servers are receiving.

Finally, one thing I really like about the game was revealed when I completed the story mode this evening. For starters, you're restricted to a single created character until you beat the game. However upon completion, a number of new slots open up to allow you to create more characters. The neat thing is all the money you have as well as all the equipment and abilities you've unlocked on your first playthrough carry over to your other characters! Sure, your new character will start at lvl 1, but you don't have to go through the tedious process of unlocking a bunch of stronger abilities for them and right from the start you can buy yourself some better gear.

My 2nd character is a red, black, and yellow Frieza Clansman named Infernus. The few times that I was able to log into the multiplayer lobby, everyone that was playing a Frieza Clansman had a name making some reference to cold. "Sub Zero", "Frost Bite", "Permafrost"...you get the idea. So I felt like being different, and as such made a flame-themed Frieza Clansman with a fiery name. :3

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Ahhhh, I was thinking about starting a topic about this game. But I haven't spent nearly as much time on it as I'd like to.

I'm only on my first character (human named Jungo) and he's at level 16, and I think I'm at one of the last story missions of the Frieza saga.

I just know that I seriously suck at the game right now.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, I got the game on PC on a whim one night, been playing it a little off and on this weekend, just got past the Cell saga and been banging my head trying to play multiplayer.

It's a pretty fun game so far, the sound design is odd, too many quiet moments when you aren't fighting, and you can tell they didn't even try to match the English language to their mouth movements. Graphically its ok, but it's not anywhere near as good as the cell shading in the Ultimate ninja games, which is a pity because this game with that engine would have looked spectacular.

Beam spam is also definitely prevalent right now, especially in multiplayer, where people love to spam things like destructo disks and death balls as pretty much their standard attack, the block not being able to interrupt a combo makes the combat feel a little klunky when you are both trying to melee, but the addition of evasive super and ultimate moves usually helps with getting out of stun lock situations.

Overall, it's a decent game, but it's still held back by being a multiplatform made for the previous gen, and the absolutely busted multiplayer right now. Still, as far as DBZ games go this is one of the better ones out there.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've been playing waaaaaay too much since it came out.

Made a female earthling brawler. I try to keep my small Ki pool maximized to boost my melee damage and for health regeneration (Piccolo + Kami Z Soul is super overpowered for humans). I was having a rough time with the harder PQ's (and the Beerus + Whis story fight) until I re-specced to go full physical damage and got the previously mentioned Z-Soul. Beyond completing the secret/buggy bonus objectives the game has been a breeze since then. I can take Trunks and Vegeta both blowing their Ultra loads in my face simultaneously and heal back half the damage before I've even hit the ground. If I get swarmed by enemies I turtle/evade and use the Burter tornado Ultra when I see an opening, which absolutely ANNIHILATES if you are hitting multiple targets.

I am really enjoying the game overall, but I have some major gripes:

- Servers are borked
- Overkill RNG for item drops and some bonus objective
- Broken Bonus Objectives that don't fire off properly even when you do everything you are supposed to (I have read it has to do with the AI not delivering the right line at the right moment because you killed them too fast or they are just bugged)
- SSJ is simply broken and needs a nerf/re-tool
- On a similar note, the AI is extremely cheesy when controlling an SSJ character. I shit you not I had Vegeta use Final Flash six times in roughly 30 seconds... that shouldn't never happen
- Allied AI should be a passable sub for a real player, but as it stands now you are usually better off just going solo because the enemies are more powerful with AI allies and the allies are BEYOND FUCKING USELESS
- Vanish is a vital aspect of melee combat... and it is horribly bugged
- Super armor is lazy encounter design. That, coupled with the Ult spam from SSJs, kind of just demonstrates how stupid the AI actually is. If you start comboing them and they don't have back up/they don't have super armor they are basically fucked and have no clue how to deal with you

Beyond all that I like the game a lot, LOL.

I'm playing on Steam if anyone wants to add me. Once the servers start working I am going to want to have some reliable people to play with the do the 7-Star PQs

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Damnit, now I almost want to waste another 50 bucks on the PC version. I'm stuck with my PS4 at the moment. If anyone's got it for PS4 add RaihoThe14th on PSN if you like.

Do you guys have any recommendations for builds? I've put more points into max health/ki blast supers than anything else but I'm not sure that's a good way to go.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Solaire of Astora said:
Damnit, now I almost want to waste another 50 bucks on the PC version. I'm stuck with my PS4 at the moment. If anyone's got it for PS4 add RaihoThe14th on PSN if you like.

Do you guys have any recommendations for builds? I've put more points into max health/ki blast supers than anything else but I'm not sure that's a good way to go.
I would try to focus on either Ki attacks or physical in your build. You'll get substantially more damage out of one or the other if you invest your points that way. I am sure Ki builds work well for humans considering their natural Ki regen, but I personally find they are more useful as melee characters.

If you ever get the Steam version add me :3

EDIT -

IIRC my build looks something like this atm:

Level 70 Earthling

HP - 35
Stamina - 25
Ki - 5
Attack - 100
Strike - 35
Ki Specials - 0

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Fappy said:
Solaire of Astora said:

I would try to focus on either Ki attacks or physical in your build. You'll get substantially more damage out of one or the other if you invest your points that way. I am sure Ki builds work well for humans considering their natural Ki regen, but I personally find they are more useful as melee characters.

EDIT -

Level 70 Earthling

HP - 35
Stamina - 25
Ki - 5
Attack - 100
Strike - 35
Ki Specials - 0
Is there a way to respec the bonus stats once you've spent them? My level 30 Earthling is specced mostly for ki and beam attacks, which has been working great so far, but I'm just now starting to run into SSJ's while teaming up for co-op missions and the constant giant Kamehameha and final flash spam is killing everything before I can get to it.

They aren't so bad in 1v1 PvP because you can almost always dodge the supers and then lock them in a combo or beam attack right after the animation ends, and getting close will stop them from powering up so they can go super saiyan again. In parallel missions though, they are basically just nuking the shitty AI with constant ultimates while I throw dinky supers at them. I'm starting to get how Krillen must have felt on the show.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
EternallyBored said:
Fappy said:
Solaire of Astora said:

EDIT -

Level 70 Earthling

HP - 35
Stamina - 25
Ki - 5
Attack - 100
Strike - 35
Ki Specials - 0
Is there a way to respec the bonus stats once you've spent them? My level 30 Earthling is specced mostly for ki and beam attacks, which has been working great so far, but I'm just now starting to run into SSJ's while teaming up for co-op missions and the constant giant Kamehameha and final flash spam is killing everything before I can get to it.

They aren't so bad in 1v1 PvP because you can almost always dodge the supers and then lock them in a combo or beam attack right after the animation ends, and getting close will stop them from powering up so they can go super saiyan again. In parallel missions though, they are basically just nuking the shitty AI with constant ultimates while I throw dinky supers at them. I'm starting to get how Krillen must have felt on the show.
If you collect all the dragon balls (random drops off time patrol NPCs) one of the wishes is to respec. As for playing melee in PQs... just rush the fuck out of the enemies to get some hits in or focus on those your allies aren't fighting. I usually have the opposite problem in that I combo enemies out of my allies' ki attacks lol

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
RJ 17 said:
As for me, my first character was a female Majin that I named Buubs...classy, I know. :p
Wow. Me too. Except I went with Buub, singular.

I can't say I'm enjoying it as much as everyone else is though. Compared to something like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 it feels a bit, I don't know, stiff? Sluggish? I had the same issue with Raging Blast 2. The combat/movement just doesn't seem to flow as well as I'd like.

I think it has potential though and I'm going to stick with it. I do like that they've gotten rid of those cinematic/cutscene attacks (at least as far as I've seen) which are the worst parts of all the DBZ fighting games.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Fappy said:
EternallyBored said:
Fappy said:
Solaire of Astora said:

EDIT -

Level 70 Earthling

HP - 35
Stamina - 25
Ki - 5
Attack - 100
Strike - 35
Ki Specials - 0

If you collect all the dragon balls (random drops of time patrol NPCs) one of the wishes is to respec. As for playing melee in PQs... just rush the fuck out of the enemies to get some hits in or focus on those your allies aren't fighting. I usually have the opposite problem in that I combo enemies out of my allies' ki attacks lol
Bleg 15 hours in and I've only got 2 so far, what else can they be used for?

The PQ's aren't a huge issue, its just the SSJ ultimate spam makes it a lot harder to reliably do damage without either knocking them out of my allies attack or contributing a fraction of the total damage which has been nuking my mission ranks. I ran into probably a dozen or so SSJ custom characters today, and their entire playstyle was pretty much: charge ki, turn SSJ, spam final flash or one of 2 or 3 other ultimate beam attacks, then repeat ad nauseum until everything is dead. Maybe my luck just sucked today, but it wasn't very fun to play with the guys doing that, the AI is really not equipped to deal with constant ultimate spam, even on the 5 star missions I was doing the AI rarely blocks ultimates.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
EternallyBored said:
Bleg 15 hours in and I've only got 2 so far, what else can they be used for?
You can:

- Change your character's appearance
- Get the Journey to the West costume
- Get some GT characters (only way to unlock them)
- Get some useless capsules
- Get a level (lol)
- Get 500k zeni
- Get one of two exclusive Ultras and some exclusive supers

There may be some other stuff too, don't recall.

The PQ's aren't a huge issue, its just the SSJ ultimate spam makes it a lot harder to reliably do damage without either knocking them out of my allies attack or contributing a fraction of the total damage which has been nuking my mission ranks. I ran into probably a dozen or so SSJ custom characters today, and their entire playstyle was pretty much: charge ki, turn SSJ, spam final flash or one of 2 or 3 other ultimate beam attacks, then repeat ad nauseum until everything is dead. Maybe my luck just sucked today, but it wasn't very fun to play with the guys doing that, the AI is really not equipped to deal with constant ultimate spam, even on the 5 star missions I was doing the AI rarely blocks ultimates.
I guess I'd have to see your stat layout. If you're going melee invest the bulk of your attributes into basic attack and chain combos on the AI. You will dish out pretty outrageous damage if you manage to rush them down among all the Ultra spam. It does sound like you've been getting pretty lucky with your match ups. Too bad they made the most brain-dead play style associated with the race 90% of the players are bound to pick.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Fappy said:
You can respec stats? How do you do that?
Also would totally love to brawl alongside you... Once I'm actually at the 7-Star Parallel Quests. I'm only just past the Frieza saga though, so it might be a while.

OT:
I'm really loving this game! Certainly one of the better DBZ games out there and for the series' first introduction on the PC it's one hell of a way to start!

Created a female Majin by the name of Hocus specializing in upfront melee attacks.
Controls were really awkward at first, but fortunately I could swap out to a control scheme that was similar to Raging Blast 2 which made things WAY more easier for me. Also like Raging Blast 2, the gameplay is kind of simple but also really damn fun!

Also, as a side note: Playing the missions where Gohan (Kid) shows up by himself, with a group is HILARIOUS (especially if said group consists of several main villains from the show).

Gohan: "Leave my Daddy ALOOOONE!"
Me: "EVERYBODY WHALE ON THE 4 YEAR OLD!"
Hocus, Frieza (Full Power), Captain Ginyu and Raditz all bum rush Gohan

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
Baron von Blitztank said:
Fappy said:
You can respec stats? How do you do that?
Also would totally love to brawl alongside you... Once I'm actually at the 7-Star Parallel Quests. I'm only just past the Frieza saga though, so it might be a while.
Collect all seven dragon balls and it's one of the wishes, along with money, exclusive accessories, exclusive clothes, Immediate gain a level, unlock character(SSJ4 Goku, Super 17, or Omega Shenron), or change your characters appearance.

so far I love this game. My only real complaints are the camera and the ally AI aren't great. My first character was a freiza clan named raider (yes it sucks but I couldn't think of anything and I was in a hurry to start playing) I'm at level 61 right now trying to do some of the end game content.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fappy said:
Made a female earthling brawler. I try to keep my small Ki pool maximized to boost my melee damage and for health regeneration (Piccolo + Kami Z Soul is super overpowered for humans). I was having a rough time with the harder PQ's (and the Beerus + Whis story fight) until I re-specced to go full physical damage and got the previously mentioned Z-Soul. Beyond completing the secret/buggy bonus objectives the game has been a breeze since then. I can take Trunks and Vegeta both blowing their Ultra loads in my face simultaneously and heal back half the damage before I've even hit the ground.
That certainly sounds like a handy Z-Soul...don't think I've got that one yet. Do you recall how you unlocked it? I'm currently stuck on the PQ that Kid Trunks gives you in which you have to solo a marathon of fights featuring the entire line-up of heroes from the show...and some OP regeneration sounds like it would do the trick. :3

- On a similar note, the AI is extremely cheesy when controlling an SSJ character. I shit you not I had Vegeta use Final Flash six times in roughly 30 seconds... that shouldn't never happen
Hehe, yeah, as I mentioned in my OP: it's not quite a Final Flash if you're firing off 6 of them in a row. :p

- Allied AI should be a passable sub for a real player, but as it stands now you are usually better off just going solo because the enemies are more powerful with AI allies and the allies are BEYOND FUCKING USELESS
Agreed on this one as well. Basically the only reason I take Allied AI into PQ's is if it's going to be something ridiculous like 3, 4, or 5 against just me. They don't do much damage at all (and don't spam their attacks nearly as much as the enemy AI), but at least they make for decent meat-shields/distractions. :p

Also on the note about moronic AI...why is it that when you go into a PQ with the mission objective of "Protect This Idiot" and you try to use one of the full-team-heal items it'll heal everyone EXCEPT the idiot you're trying to protect? I call them idiots because in the PQ to unlock Vegito you have to keep Super Buu from dying...and he seems magnetically attracted to all of Goku and Gohan's spammed Kamehame's...LITERALLY dive-dodging straight into them. >.>

Solaire of Astora said:
Fappy said:
Solaire of Astora said:
Personally I went for a more balanced build with 40's across the board (excluding Ki and Stamina). I then let my armor presets tweak my character into being more of a beamer or a brawler depending on what mission I'm doing.

And on the note of armor...what the hell's the deal with all the Frieza Clan armor being built for brawlers when the race is clearly meant to be more for beamers?

chaser5000 said:
My first character was a freiza clan named raider (yes it sucks but I couldn't think of anything and I was in a hurry to start playing) I'm at level 61 right now trying to do some of the end game content.
Hey, at least you didn't go with the super-cliche of naming him something that's a reference to "cold" or "ice". As I said in my OP, my 2nd character is a Frieza Clansman and I went the exact opposite with his name and coloration: making him more fiery than frost. :p

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The_Blue_Rider said:
One question about this game, does it support local multiplayer or is it online only ?
It does support local multiplayer. Which is pretty nice, for sure. However, there are limitations: 1v1 is the only option, and there's only one stage.

Kinda sucks, but at least it's there.

Sep 14, 2009
Fappy said:
I can take Trunks and Vegeta both blowing their Ultra loads in my face simultaneously and heal back half the damage before I've even hit the ground.
wow, that's saiyan alot...

*badum tiss*

OT: kinguin had it pretty damn cheap for pre-order, and after looking at the trailers my inner nostalgia couldn't turn it down..

so far, it's been pretty good, but I'm only level 15ish, just haven't really delved too deeply into it.

I usually can't play a fighter for more then 20 minutes at a time though, so it's saying something if this game has me as hooked as it does.
RJ 17 said:
have to keep Super Buu from dying...and he seems magnetically attracted to all of Goku and Gohan's spammed Kamehame's...LITERALLY dive-dodging straight into them. >.>
lol reminds me of this:

I'm dreading getting to those missions if that's how they are -_-

If you "fail" a mission, do you keep all your XP and loot, or do you have to get all that shit back on the time you DO clear/win?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Vanish being borked as fuck makes the game borderline unplayable for me. Its a really fun game and I'm enjoyin the hell out of my super short human female, but god is the vanish being borked screwin with me. Its pretty much impossible to go for a heavy melee build unless you pick up the super broken health regen z-souls due to the AI cheating like crazy, which is a huge shame because I would much rather beat on peoples faces than spam Destructo Disc over and over again.

The other problem I have is that a lot of the ultimate moves are really bad. Just straight out terrible, which all seem to be my favorite ones to use.

I was obsessed with using Raditz Ultimate beam attack, think it was called Wednesday, because of that hilarious smirk my character gets on her face as she's about to use it. Downside, you just stand there for 5 seconds while your opponents get free reign to kick the snot out of you. If they deplete your stamina bar they can even stop the move completely which is totally bogus. It didn't even do a huge amount of damage to justify such a long windup, but I used it for forever because I loved the damn move so much. Eventually I replaced it with the continuous destructo disc attack, which honestly still has a dumb windup, but nowhere near as bad.

My other annoyance is the transformations. Kaioken sucks. I know in lore it sucks compared to literally every other transformation (even giant form namekians have fewer downsides than that, and they turn themselves into gigantic targets!), but making it so you deplete stamina makes it borderline unusable. Dashing at enemies uses stamina. Getting hit while using an ultimate reduces stamina. Vanishing uses stamina. Hell, blocking uses stamina. If you drain your bar all the way with Kaioken you sometimes can't use any stamina using things until your bar charges (I have no idea what causes that, but its really annoyin). Compare that to SSJ where you drain Ki which only fuels special attacks and it makes it look even weaker.

Knockin the game a bit, but I actually do really like it. Playing in groups (when it works) is a lot of fun. The story is actually fairly entertainin as well. Plus some of the weird set ups in the game are just straight out fun. Gettin my ass handed to me by Hercule of all people while Gohan and Cell fight it out across the map was so ridiculous that I actually started laughin as I flew away in terror of Hercule. Moves look and feel awesome and while I somewhat miss the ridiculous cutscenes from ultimates in the Budokai games (Broly ultimate makin a giant Asia sized crater in the planet was particularly satisfying), they're big enough and flashy enough that it feels great.

I do wish I could figure out why the flashy moves disappear every once in a while though and just show up as flickers.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Haven't played it (it's on my wishlist) but I letting you know 2 things-

1. It turns out they hired Takahata101 to do voices on one of the player character voices that you choose in the character creation. It's number 8-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg#t=1067

2. TeamFourStar are doing a letplays on it http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-plays-dragonball-xenoverse-1/#video-container All hail Dumpling!