Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and all things there-of.

Sep 14, 2009
lapan said:
The only thing bothering me is the extreme difficulty curve, it starts going off the hook really early in the game
what kind of fighter/character are you going for? and what are you having problems with?

I weigh kind of heavy on melee attacks, and my biggest problem is when they use the "repel" super moves that make them untouchable and blow me away, but fortunately I seem to hit them enough inbetween them doing those that I win most of the time, otherwise I'm trying to get better at doing my retreat/vanish moves away from the opponent.

Turlesisawesome

Mar 6, 2015
My biggest problem with the whole game is the PQ where you have to fight every saiyan in the game before you even get to broly & it pisses me off because the time always runs out before I even get to fight him

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I just finished the game's story mode today, final boss was a tad bit disappointing, If only because he looks like a bad Digimon knockoff.

I, like everyone else here it seems, also made a female buu, named Buugaloo. And I will say, giving her the dot eyes made every pre-battle cutscene hilarious, especially the Ginyu body switch ones. I do appreciate just how many clothing options reference pre-Z Dragonball, and the fact that I can join the Ginyu Force makes me a happy chap, even if it doesn't really change anything.
Speaking of which, why the hell wasn't Roshi, the O.G. trainer, a mentor? He especially deserves a spot over Krillin, of all people, or 18... or Gotenks. Leave the "mentor" jobs for actual mentors. I don't want "underling of Krillin" on my MarySue's resume (and oh my what a mary sue she is, even being wished into existence by motherfucking Shenron).

crimson83

Jun 21, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Honestly, how has no one started a DBX topic on here yet? Surely I can't be the only one here that not only got the game but is enjoying it quite thoroughly.

So in absence of any other DBX topic, here's one for general discussion of the game!

What was your first character? Are you a striker or a beamer? What do you really like about the game? What do you not like about the game? All these topics and anything else regarding the game is fair play to discuss.

As for me, my first character was a female Majin that I named Buubs...classy, I know. :p

I hit some rough patches here and there, but over all didn't have too much trouble with the story mode...especially after I learned how to out-cheese the cheesy computer on the harder difficulties.
Step 1: Get the ability that lets you charge your ki.
Step 2: Spam the crap out of the Giant Beam-o-Death Ultimate of your preference (for me that was Perfect Cell's Perfect Kamehame).
Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The sad part about this is that I was previously one to prefer a good ol' bout of fisticuffs with the opponent, getting down and dirty and just pummeling them with my fists of fury! However there's a number of side-missions where the AI gets to blatantly cheat. You see, the SSJ and SSJ2 form power-ups drain your ki rapidly, but in exchange you have unlimited use of your special moves...ultimates included. There's a large number of side-missions where you have to go up against saiyajins...often several at a time. And they start out with - and permanently retain - a SSJ or SSJ2 form. What does this mean? Well since they didn't actually use the power-up and instead have it set as their default status, they basically have infinite Ki and thus there's absolutely nothing to stop them from just spamming the absolute fuck out of their ultimates...and they're more than happy to do just that.

Yeah, it's not really a "Final Flash" if you're firing off 4 of them in a row...that's really fair, Vegeta... :p

As such, I figured if the AI was just going to spam the fuck out of Giant Beam-o-Death ults then I might as well return the favor! The difference is I still have to charge up my Ki...while they just get to let'em rip as much as their little saiyajin hearts desire.

Still, though, I'm really enjoying the game. Other than the Infinite Ammo SSJs in side-quests, my biggest complaint about the game is how the multiplayer is utterly broken. Literally. Best I can guess is they didn't think the game was going to be as big as it turned out to be and as such were drastically unprepared for the amount of traffic their servers are receiving.

Finally, one thing I really like about the game was revealed when I completed the story mode this evening. For starters, you're restricted to a single created character until you beat the game. However upon completion, a number of new slots open up to allow you to create more characters. The neat thing is all the money you have as well as all the equipment and abilities you've unlocked on your first playthrough carry over to your other characters! Sure, your new character will start at lvl 1, but you don't have to go through the tedious process of unlocking a bunch of stronger abilities for them and right from the start you can buy yourself some better gear.

My 2nd character is a red, black, and yellow Frieza Clansman named Infernus. The few times that I was able to log into the multiplayer lobby, everyone that was playing a Frieza Clansman had a name making some reference to cold. "Sub Zero", "Frost Bite", "Permafrost"...you get the idea. So I felt like being different, and as such made a flame-themed Frieza Clansman with a fiery name. :3
I love this game! I'm on my third character (my first is a lvl 80 male Saiyan and my second is a lvl 80 female Majin) and I just can't stop playing this game. It's flawed as all hell but it's fun and that speaks volumes in my opinion. I'd rather have a flawed game that's fun rather than a technical marvel that's boring (The Order). I wish the reviewers who were playing this game played it longer. Some of them (especially IGN) you can tell they played it for maybe a few hours over the weekend because they gave it a low score, which I'm fine with, but only complained about the difficulty from one mission to another and the combat system. They didn't mention the servers which leads me to believe they didn't even try to go online. The hub world and how much of a pain it is to run around that thing for everything. Missing characters and key plot points (no mention of Majin Vegeta or his sacrifice and Cell saga jumps right to the Cell games). Pro Jared gave the game a 6.7 too but told me a lot more about the game and his feeling s on it and by the end said that it was flawed but fun and they could iron those issues out in a sequel, that he wanted. IGN sounded like they couldn't be bothered. That aside I think this is my favorite DB game. Just being able to role play my own character in the game is amazing. Getting my ass kicked by Frieza only to go train and come back as a super saiyan and whoop his ass is amazing. I hope they do make a sequel.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
EyeReaper said:
I just finished the game's story mode today, final boss was a tad bit disappointing, If only because he looks like a bad Digimon knockoff.

I, like everyone else here it seems, also made a female buu, named Buugaloo. And I will say, giving her the dot eyes made every pre-battle cutscene hilarious, especially the Ginyu body switch ones. I do appreciate just how many clothing options reference pre-Z Dragonball, and the fact that I can join the Ginyu Force makes me a happy chap, even if it doesn't really change anything.
Speaking of which, why the hell wasn't Roshi, the O.G. trainer, a mentor? He especially deserves a spot over Krillin, of all people, or 18... or Gotenks. Leave the "mentor" jobs for actual mentors. I don't want "underling of Krillin" on my MarySue's resume (and oh my what a mary sue she is, even being wished into existence by motherfucking Shenron).
Hey, Krillins legit yo. He's the strongest human character in the DBZ universe. Or well, maybe second strongest. They're really unclear on how strong Tien actually is.

Plus who else is goin to teach you destructo disc? We'll ignore that it took Krillin a year to figure out/learn/master the technique and then a bunch of random yokels figured that shit out in minutes.

Seriously, Vegeta saw the move once then pulled it off himself. Frieza did the same thing, and he was able to make multiple...and control how they moved. Bunch of cheap knockoffs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Plus who else is goin to teach you destructo disc? We'll ignore that it took Krillin a year to figure out/learn/master the technique and then a bunch of random yokels figured that shit out in minutes.
That's one of my favorite things about DBZ Abridged: they keep pointing out how Krillin just kinda...forgets that he actually has one of the deadliest moves in the entire franchise. In theory a Solar Flare - Destructo Disc combo would be damn-near unavoidable death! Yet he never does it. Seriously...Krillin - of all people - could have killed Frieza with no sweat.

Frieza did the same thing, and he was able to make multiple...and control how they moved. Bunch of cheap knockoffs.
To be fair, Frieza's move is "technically" a different attack all together purely because he can control them. This is apparently what makes them a "Death Saucer" and not a "Destructo Disc". Note how Perfect Cell throw's Frieza's attack at Goku when they're fighting (they're even pink and everything), and when he's flailing against SSJ2 Gohan he throws two yellow Destructo Discs...which Gohan catches and dissipates.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I have been intrigued by this game, but honestly I wish they would explore DBZ as an RPG more. The last DBZ RPG I played was freaking awesome! Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans was a great game, on the DS I just wish that a sequel would get greenlit.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
shintakie10 said:
That's one of my favorite things about DBZ Abridged: they keep pointing out how Krillin just kinda...forgets that he actually has one of the deadliest moves in the entire franchise. In theory a Solar Flare - Destructo Disc combo would be damn-near unavoidable death! Yet he never does it. Seriously...Krillin - of all people - could have killed Frieza with no sweat.
What's sad is that the times he remembers to use it, he doesn't do squat with it. Uses it on Nappa, Nappa dodges it because he just sort of chucked it at Nappa without any setup. Uses it against Vegeta, dodge again! Uses it against Frieza, whiffs the damn shot and only catches his tail then never tries it again. The only time he catches someone flush with it was against Cell, and by then Cell's power level was so much higher than Krillin's that he was able to eat it without a problem.

Poor poor Krillin.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Poor poor Krillin.
To quote DBZ:A...
Krillin: So...this is my full potential?
Guru: Yep.
K: Then that means...
G: It's all downhill from here.
K: Just like Yamcha...

James Mclay

Mar 7, 2015
Hey guys I use something insane its a saiyan with 20 hp 12 ki 10 stam 60atk 93 strike super atm using bulmas gear but you dont know overpower till you try the freiza 1st form soul die you scum. Wont usually look twice at something that has 3 minus in stike supers and ki supers also health why no one uses guess but ithas 3 attk 1 ki 1 stamina the overpower part is however you cant die the first turn instead when reduced to no hp you gain back about 1/5 and you gain max ki thing about this is ki stays max forever so i use health z boost with ss2 and spam as much death meteor as i want and game over to complete story parralel quests too.

James Mclay

Mar 7, 2015
Hey guys I use something insane its a saiyan with 20 hp 12 ki 10 stam 60atk 93 strike super atm using bulmas gear but you dont know overpower till you try the freiza 1st form soul die you scum. Wont usually look twice at something that has 3 minus in stike supers and ki supers also health why no one uses guess but ithas 3 attk 1 ki 1 stamina the overpower part is however you cant die the first turn instead when reduced to no hp you gain back about 1/5 and you gain max ki thing about this is ki stays max forever so i use health z boost with ss2 and spam as much death meteor as i want and game over to complete story parralel quests too.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
shintakie10 said:
EyeReaper said:

Hey, Krillins legit yo. He's the strongest human character in the DBZ universe. Or well, maybe second strongest. They're really unclear on how strong Tien actually is.

Seriously, Vegeta saw the move once then pulled it off himself. Frieza did the same thing, and he was able to make multiple...and control how they moved. Bunch of cheap knockoffs.
Well, considering that 18 teaches you double disk, and you can just straight up buy destructo disk barrage... I dunno, he just doesn't feel needed. Hell, Krillin is my favorite character. Has been since his introduction in D-ball... but c'mon. Who would honestly want to turn to him for combat training. I mean, even his signature move is the second thing he teaches you. It's almost as bad as Vegeta not teaching Big Bang atta... oh.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
This sounds interesting, but oddly the visuals remind me a *lot* of another hidden gem of an MMO - DC Universe Online.

I...may have to pick this one up at some point.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
Can you make a short Namek fighter? That's what I'm gonna make if you can, I'm downloading it now, cannot wait!

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
lapan said:
The only thing bothering me is the extreme difficulty curve, it starts going off the hook really early in the game
what kind of fighter/character are you going for? and what are you having problems with?

I weigh kind of heavy on melee attacks, and my biggest problem is when they use the "repel" super moves that make them untouchable and blow me away, but fortunately I seem to hit them enough inbetween them doing those that I win most of the time, otherwise I'm trying to get better at doing my retreat/vanish moves away from the opponent.
It's not a particular chapter or quest, it's just that energy balls that can deplete half your health and instakill npcs and enemies that sync up their attacks start very early on in the game

Sep 14, 2009
lapan said:
gmaverick019 said:
lapan said:

It's not a particular chapter or quest, it's just that energy balls that can deplete half your health and instakill npcs and enemies that sync up their attacks start very early on in the game
yeah I hear ya there, freiza got me good in the stupid campaign story arc a few times with his stupid giant ball of death and the one that SOMEWHAT tracks you if you aren't super speeding away, also sucks when you might be POUNDING on one of them and they pull this move, because it hits at every angle if you are close which is bullshit.

I've just gotten to the end of the cell saga, and all these super saiyans are starting to piss me off, constant ultimates are a pain in the ass -_-

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
EyeReaper said:
Well, considering that 18 teaches you double disk, and you can just straight up buy destructo disk barrage... I dunno, he just doesn't feel needed. Hell, Krillin is my favorite character. Has been since his introduction in D-ball... but c'mon. Who would honestly want to turn to him for combat training. I mean, even his signature move is the second thing he teaches you. It's almost as bad as Vegeta not teaching Big Bang atta... oh.
All good points. I counter with the ridiculously hilarious reactions he has when you get a Z ranking.