Dragon Quest IX Not a JRPG, Says Producer

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Dragon Quest IX Not a JRPG, Says Producer

"We have no recognition that Dragon Quest IX is a part of the so-called JRPG genre, unless you mean all the RPGs created in Japan are JRPGs," Ichimura said.

Source: Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/08/dragon-quest-ix-inspired-by-oblivion-and-diablo.aspx]

Well, actually...yeah. That's pretty much the only thing one can honestly say all games people describe as "JRPGs" have in common. Plus, it's sort of in the name.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Dragon Quest IX is probably like a WRPG in the same way FFXII was... :p

Addendum, skimmed wikipedia and it seems like it is going to be like WWRPG in different ways than FFXII.. They say it is going to be the hardest Dragon Quest game yet, but by judging by EVERY ONE I played the challenge seems to rest on grinding. I wonder, if they make it so you don't have to go out of your way to level up yet, still be able to beat the bosses by leveling up right and using the right strategies. If they do that it may not actually be terrible unlike all the other Dragon Warrior/Quest I played.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ahlycks said:
hmm.... guess who is not buying dragon quest 9 now?

I am a huge fan of JRPGs and if they are going to turn there back on that beautiful genera, i'm going to stop buying there stuff, because i'm sure as hell not going to support JRPGs loosing there identity and becoming the stuff that i despise.

Just saying, Japanese video game crash of 2012. This is what the Mayans predicted.
I have to agree. While I do dig Bethesda style western rpgs and the comparison to Oblivion got me to put this on my rental list, I?m not sure the jrpg makers should stop making jrpgs. There?s obviously a dedicated market for them around the world. But who knows, eventually someone will come across a balance that can attact both fans of Fallout and Final Fantasy.
In fact, I got to say that if Bethesda scrapped their creepy disneyworld automatron style for an anime style (like if they remade the Phantasy Star originals), I wouldn?t be too disappointed.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
FROGGEman2 said:
But it's that pointless and ultimately meaningless meta-scenery that defines WRPGs. It isn't that you can actually mould your world, it's the illusion that you can... for in what RPG can you actually affect anything? The fact that a wall explains that you cannot move further is soothing, as opposed to an invisible barrier. The end result is the same, but it adds another layer to the experience.
This is true, but I feel compelled to note that Gloating Swine posted an example that seems to do it right. Alpha Protocol, for all of its flaws, apparently manages to have choices of consequence more affecting than a simple morality bar. I can't say through first hand experience, so at the moment I'll take Shamus' word for it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
kingcom said:
So the whole freedom of choice thing that western rpgs are about? Yea, thats not here...
Have you played the game? If so, how? If not, how do you know?

ahlycks said:
hmm.... guess who is not buying dragon quest 9 now?

I am a huge fan of JRPGs and if they are going to turn there back on that beautiful genera, i'm going to stop buying there stuff, because i'm sure as hell not going to support JRPGs loosing there identity and becoming the stuff that i despise.

Just saying, Japanese video game crash of 2012. This is what the Mayans predicted.
So your assuming based on this one quote that the game will be bad. No offense but that makes you sound very fickle if you change your mind without trying the game.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
kingcom said:
So the whole freedom of choice thing that western rpgs are about? Yea, thats not here...
Have you played the game? If so, how? If not, how do you know?
Based upon the JRPG genre and their claims that the additions from the western rpg genre doesnt actually include games with decision making in it. Unless of course the come out and say "sorry we lied, the game is a different genre, completely different style to everything else we have ever done, im going to base my opinion on what the developers themselves say what the game is going to be."