Dragon Quest X Tanks On Wii U

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Yellowfish said:
Scribblesense said:
It should also be mentioned that the Wii U managed to sell more than the PS3 in Japan that week. That's pretty significant and we'll probably see the Wii U sell 60k or more units worldwide this week.
Let's be fair: it probably has something to do with the fact that with PS4 being already announced, PS3 is now officially obsolete. I bet Wii U outsells PS3 only becasue less people are buying the latter. Might be wrong though. I'm not saying that Wii U is a bad console, but it definetly isn't a must-have thing for anybody who doesn't have a lot of disposable income or isn't a Nintendo fan.
I wouldn't say it's obsolete. There are still plenty of games coming for it this year and its recent performance hasn't changed much since the holidays, even after the PlayStation 4 was announced. I'd call the PS3's sales "healthy", and the Wii U outselling it is a good sign, though as a new console it should be selling twice as much as the PS3 every week.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Dear Square Enix,

Dragon Quest X would have made money if you actually made Dragon Quest X. But you didn't. You made FF XIV with Dragon Quest monsters. Stop being stupid. Dragon Quest fans want good, old-fashioned RPGs. MMOs do not fall into that category.

Sincerely,

Ever Dragon Quest/Warrior fan in the last 25 years.
Are you speaking for the Japanese audience? Are you able to provide evidence that Japanese gamers don't want an MMO Dragon Quest?

Perhaps it didn't sell due to being released on a system the Japanese marketed didn't want to buy simply for that one game? Perhaps, if released on the PS3, it would've fared a lot better. Of course, my analysis holds just as much water as yours.

On a side note to all of this: And people are saying nobody's buying the Vita?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Crono1973 said:
Colt47 said:
Zeckt said:
No one asked for a dragon quest mmo, dragon quest thrived being purely single player and making the player feel special in the game world rather then a random drone in an mmo. Now it's just another boring ass mmo in an endless sea of mmo's with nothing to show for it, this is what square had coming for not listening to their fan's. As big of a fan I am of square this is what they deserve.

It's a special feeling when you can recall moments in every game of a series, and now that feeling is forever broken now that I refuse to play another drab mmo. They broke the series with a now corporate feel.
Well, to be fair the leaf was starting to fall when DQ IX came out on the DS. I tried playing it as my first entry into the Dragon Quest series and was severely disappointed by how dependent it was on multiplayer. The only emotion I could muster out of myself was dejected sighing, which now that I think on it probably doesn't count as an emotion...
Despite trying multiple times, I was never able to finish DQ9 due to it being weaker on story. Loved DQ5 on the DS though as well as DQ8 on the PS2.
So it wasn't just me then. The whole multiplayer fad thing seems to have it's fingers in every corner of the gaming world, whether it makes sense for the specific gaming line or not. It definitely feels like publishers and people with Business degrees pulling their weight against developers while having no idea of how game design actually works. A game crash would be really helpful right now, but there doesn't seem to be one coming anytime soon.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Calling it right now, Square Enix are going to the way of the Dodo if they dont learn from their mistakes soon.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
From the sound of it, this game is just an mmo with the Dragon Quest title printed on its box, right? So the solution is clear for future entries, create a classic RPG like every Dragon Quest from 1-8, 9 had a little weak of story since the playable characters were all generic, class-based models. When I first played Dragon Quest 8, my brother walked into the room and asked this: "Why are you, someone who hates JRPGs, playing a game that even RPG nerds consider nerdy?" Dragon Quest has that kind of feel to it, it doesn't need to be exactly like prior games or even use a similar style, it just needs to harken back to the core concept of hero versus demon king on a grand adventure.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
how hard is it it do customer research?

Dear consumers on our mailing list, would you like Dragon Quest X to be a mmo?

y/n

Silly Square Enix
Maybe they did and all the incoherent swearing they got in response, they assumed were a very enthusiastic yes.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Dragon Quest games should not be MMOs. What is with trying to attach every game to an MMO. Stop it. My RPGs need to be mostly single player, and primarily offline. They're just eroding their brand. Didn't the last failure at a FF MMO teach them a lesson?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
2xDouble said:
What? they put out a Dragon Quest game on the WiiU?
They haven't released it in North America yet... and now its looking like they may never release it in North America.

targren

May 13, 2009
teebeeohh said:
If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).
Technically, a port just means that the code was modified to work on a different system from the original. Just because game developers like to do dick moves like adding new features to later versions, doesn't make it implicitly part of the "porting" process.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Terramax said:
FoolKiller said:
Dear Square Enix,

Dragon Quest X would have made money if you actually made Dragon Quest X. But you didn't. You made FF XIV with Dragon Quest monsters. Stop being stupid. Dragon Quest fans want good, old-fashioned RPGs. MMOs do not fall into that category.

Sincerely,

Ever Dragon Quest/Warrior fan in the last 25 years.
Are you speaking for the Japanese audience? Are you able to provide evidence that Japanese gamers don't want an MMO Dragon Quest?

Perhaps it didn't sell due to being released on a system the Japanese marketed didn't want to buy simply for that one game? Perhaps, if released on the PS3, it would've fared a lot better. Of course, my analysis holds just as much water as yours.

On a side note to all of this: And people are saying nobody's buying the Vita?
1. You clearly don't understand humour
2. The numbers speak for themselves as the system itself has sold over 1 million units in Japan. That is its own evidence that they don't want it. Also, its Squeenix who thinks that 3 million Tomb Raiders sold is poor performance.
3. My analysis has to do with what my friends are saying but also has to do with Squeenix repeatedly going down this path trying to shoehorn in an MMO into a beloved RPG franchise because they see WOW doing well and think they should copy that.
3. Obviously if you put the game on a console with a larger fan base, there will be more people purchasing it.
4. The Vita will skyrocket in sales when the memory sticks become cheaper and people start jailbreaking them the way they did with the PSP.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
targren said:
teebeeohh said:
If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).
Technically, a port just means that the code was modified to work on a different system from the original. Just because game developers like to do dick moves like adding new features to later versions, doesn't make it implicitly part of the "porting" process.
What something means=/=what people use it as, remember what happened to literally.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Yes, these numbers suck, but I would like to mention one little thing:

While it only sold 30,000 units, it did sell 60-80% of it's stock. So that means that Squeenix knew this game wouldn't sell that high.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CriticKitten said:
Because Square doesn't know what its players want.
That doesn't change the point.

The fact that he wrote the article in the context of actually expecting great sales was his decision, and was made from a poorly informed point of view.
It relates to the business expectation, and is neither inaccurate nor inappropriate. But okay, sure. He should have phrased it to your approval. That still doesn't change the fact that you tried to peg him with expectations that were not given as his.

The root issues still remain, despite the fluff.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Tenmar said:
Dragon Quest 10 is a MMO? Why? Did they forget the core of what people want from the Dragon Quest/Warrior series? An actual good RPG with an ever improving adventure with possibly new mechanics.
Y'know, for all their faults I genuinely like Square Enix. They've made some great games. I honestly would like to see them succeed (and pull out some better JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy XIII, but I digress)

I saw this thread and seriously considered purchasing this Dragon Quest sequel I'd never heard of, since I've yet to play a DQ game (weird, I know) and now's a good a time as any...

...but then I see it's an MMO. An MMO isn't quite the same thing as good single player RPG. While I can enjoy both, I'm quite MMO'd out at the moment, and I'd imagine much of their fanbase is.
I'd recommend Dragon Quest 8 if you have a PS2. I fucking love that game. As do a lot of people. Why 9 and 10 (which i just found out existed) are respectively a multiplayer ds game and a wiiu MMO is beyond me. After all, the main reason I bought 8 was because both the gaming magazines I was subscribed to as well as G4 rated it extremely highly. Also apparently Dragonquest was at that time more popular in japan than final fantasy. It takes some work to run something like that into the ground so thoroughly.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
2xDouble said:
What? they put out a Dragon Quest game on the WiiU?
They haven't released it in North America yet... and now its looking like they may never release it in North America.
That was the joke.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
The WiiU is going to prove to be a spectacular failure
Except that this actually isn't the Wii U's fault.

Dragon Quest is a popular series, yes, but it's not as popular as it once was. The last great-selling game in the franchise was released back in 2009 on the DS. Before that? Back in 2004 on the PS2. Let's be honest, many people don't even remember that this franchise is still running except its dedicated fans.

Plus, Dragon Quest X is an MMO, which cut into their sales (because not everyone who bought the original franchise games wants to play an MMO based on DQ).

Also, the game was originally released on the Wii back in 2012, and only in Japan, where it barely pushed over half a million units. So no one (except apparently the author of this article) expected the game to suddenly start selling like hotcakes a year later on the Wii U.
The biggest problem is they keep wanting to put it on an accessible console so they keep going with nintendo. So they go the DS route reasonable but having played the DS version it doesn't compare to the PS and PS2 games and I can't imagine playing it on the wii.

I don't want graphics that redefine what we expect out of imagery, give me the anime look of 8 and make the story+extras 100 hours and I will play that full hundred hours plus some. I mean there are very few games where I will stay grinding over and over for hours but DQ is one of them.

So put it on the ps3 AND Wii U. Make it single player and fun which i know they can do and they will make their money up in Japan alone(american here btw). I leave out the 360 because that might just end up being a loss for them./rant end

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Yes, these numbers suck, but I would like to mention one little thing:

While it only sold 30,000 units, it did sell 60-80% of it's stock. So that means that Squeenix knew this game wouldn't sell that high.
I bet the tanking of final fantasy online tipped them off that they might not want to produce many more than that.