Dragon Quest X Tanks On Wii U

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sleekit said:
any of you commenting actually seen or know anything the game ? because it doesn't read like it...

its not "a re-release" or "a port" in any way, shape, or form for example.
So the Wii version and the WiiU version are completely different games?
Dragon Quest X on Wii and Wii U are the same game.
Sounds like a port to me.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Scribblesense said:
If anyone should be disappointed in a game's performance, it should be Nintendo with Game and Wario which only sold 22k in Japan. Yikes. Still no western release date? C'mon, Nintendo, get your act together.
Wait, Game & Wario is already out in Japan? Fuck D: And still no release date for the US or (god help us all) Europe? Well poop. Nintendo, all this talk about how you learned from the 3DS's faults at the beginning apparently really has been just talk. Well, let's hope they pick up the pace eventually and the WiiU starts selling like hotcakes in a year or so.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
As someone that owns every DQ game except 7, which may be rectified in time, I was never in any way interested in DQ X.

To be honest even if they hadn't made the extremely poor choice of making it an MMO, by now I'm pretty much all DQed out.

The level of variation from game to game is almost nothing in most of them. Same music, same enemies, same spells, same equipment, items, EVERYTHING. And the characters are mixed and matched from the 6 or 7 ones that Toriyama is actually capable of producing etc.

I adored DQ8, and while I like the rest well enough I'd say that my #2 favorite was 5. The one where your kids eventually join you I think? That was fun.

But seriously, you should only be able to go so far with a series when literally ALL your art assets, music, and so on are just recycled over and over from the 80s. At least Mario games still attempt to be different.

Well I guess DQX tried to be different, and fans of the series obviously prefer the same old same old.

On a side note, do they actually pay Akira Toriyama anything for each new DQ game? The only thing new that he produces in each one is a final boss that more or less looks like any DBZ villian. Obviously I know WHY, but there is having your own style as an artist, and then there is recycling the same character pieces over and over because you are a talentless hack that has somehow coasted by for decades.

Yoshitaka Amano also has a distinctive style, and his body of work is quite diverse. Color, medium, composition, subject matter, realistic, fantastic, classical, abstract he has mastered quite a bit. Toriyama's work is charming, but just about anyone can draw it. Its literally the first thing most tyro anime artists attempt to reproduce, because if you can't draw a slime then there really isn't any hope for you. I loved Dragon Ball as much as anyone, but it certainly wasn't due to the artwork. I just think Goku is a really good character. I don't see why the popularity of DB needed to translate into a game series recyling the same crap almost completely verbatim for 10+ games now.

Despite that little rant, Chrono Trigger is still one of my top 5 games of all time. Secret of Mana I liked at the time. But if they were on Chrono X and still using reptoids and roly polys and the final boss looked like majin buu I'd be just as fed up.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
CriticKitten said:
Dragon Quest is a popular series, yes, but it's not as popular as it once was. The last great-selling game in the franchise was released back in 2009 on the DS. Before that? Back in 2004 on the PS2. Let's be honest, many people don't even remember that this franchise is still running except its dedicated fans.
To be fair, you are arguing that Dragon Quest is not as popular as it once was so people shouldn't be surprised that Dragon Quest X didn't do that well since they haven't had any great selling games in the series since Dragon Quest IX or Dragon Quest VIII before it. Dragon Quest games have been on a roughly 3-5 year release cycle since they made the first one for SNES (Dragon Quest V), everything else Dragon Quest released since 2004 was either a spinoff (none of which did all that great, although Rocket Slime was a ton of fun) or a remake of one of the NES or SNES games for DS (which also haven't done well, but then most people just, you know, emulate NES or SNES when they want to play one of those games -- fansubs have been around forever).

Really, what that says is that Dragon Quest fans love Dragon Quest, so give us more Dragon Quest instead of this other shit!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Gee... they made massive changes to one of the most traditional games of all time and are surprised that their long time fan base didn't like it?

Square... what are you smoking these days? Seriously...

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
No one asked for a dragon quest mmo, dragon quest thrived being purely single player and making the player feel special in the game world rather then a random drone in an mmo. Now it's just another boring ass mmo in an endless sea of mmo's with nothing to show for it, this is what square had coming for not listening to their fan's. As big of a fan I am of square this is what they deserve.

It's a special feeling when you can recall moments in every game of a series, and now that feeling is forever broken now that I refuse to play another drab mmo. They broke the series with a now corporate feel.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Zeckt said:
No one asked for a dragon quest mmo, dragon quest thrived being purely single player and making the player feel special in the game world rather then a random drone in an mmo. Now it's just another boring ass mmo in an endless sea of mmo's with nothing to show for it, this is what square had coming for not listening to their fan's. As big of a fan I am of square this is what they deserve.

It's a special feeling when you can recall moments in every game of a series, and now that feeling is forever broken now that I refuse to play another drab mmo. They broke the series with a now corporate feel.
Well, to be fair the leaf was starting to fall when DQ IX came out on the DS. I tried playing it as my first entry into the Dragon Quest series and was severely disappointed by how dependent it was on multiplayer. The only emotion I could muster out of myself was dejected sighing, which now that I think on it probably doesn't count as an emotion...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Sleekit said:
any of you commenting actually seen or know anything the game ? because it doesn't read like it...

If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
Scribblesense said:
It should also be mentioned that the Wii U managed to sell more than the PS3 in Japan that week. That's pretty significant and we'll probably see the Wii U sell 60k or more units worldwide this week.
Let's be fair: it probably has something to do with the fact that with PS4 being already announced, PS3 is now officially obsolete. I bet Wii U outsells PS3 only becasue less people are buying the latter. Might be wrong though. I'm not saying that Wii U is a bad console, but it definetly isn't a must-have thing for anybody who doesn't have a lot of disposable income or isn't a Nintendo fan.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Could the game be tanking because DQ has a fanbase which prefers single player experiences, and SE has released an MMO?
Or is it because of the WiiU failing? Hmm ... I wonder what the headlines will look like.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Making this superb solo experience MMO: dumb, but with a very tiny chance of being awesome...
But, releasing it on a system that hardly sold explains perfectly why no one is buying.

If no one has the system, who is going to buy the game?
Installed base is everything. Come on, release this on PS3 or 360 or PC and I'd considder it quite seriously.
Sure as hell would sell at least 10-20 times more that way!!!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
teebeeohh said:
Crono1973 said:
Sleekit said:

If they fully intended this for both versions from the beginning people usually don't use the term port. Port implies different features or a later release date or something(gta4 on Xbox and ps3=different versions, gta4 on pc=port because later released and terribly optimised).
It is a later release date.

I know the game was developed for Wii and WiiU but no doubt the WiiU version will have some advantages, if only just graphics and a different control scheme.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Colt47 said:
Zeckt said:

Well, to be fair the leaf was starting to fall when DQ IX came out on the DS. I tried playing it as my first entry into the Dragon Quest series and was severely disappointed by how dependent it was on multiplayer. The only emotion I could muster out of myself was dejected sighing, which now that I think on it probably doesn't count as an emotion...
Despite trying multiple times, I was never able to finish DQ9 due to it being weaker on story. Loved DQ5 on the DS though as well as DQ8 on the PS2.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Okay so let me get this straight.

- They released a game on a console that everybody in Japan owns, it sold poorly
- One year later they released the same game on a console that nobody in Japan owns, it also sold poorly
- They were disappointed in this

Guys... everyone that wanted it already has it...

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I STILL want Squeenix to succeed regardless of their failures. And I really don't wanna see the next headline read "Square Enix finally shuts its doors after many failures". Hate to bring this up again but I am still hopelessly waiting for games like Versus XIII, KH3, TWEWY 2 and overall, better FF games.

Squeenix just needs to stop fucking around and do some fan service for a while. We WILL give them our money if they do that. Seriously, just focus on developing and releasing all the games we're clamoring. Want it even easier? FFVII remake.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Nick Holmgren said:
FFIX FFXI was somehow good from what I have heard, but FFIV FFXIV was a train wreck beyond recovery and this is just a sign you guys should not try it anymore.
Let me guess, they don't teach Roman numerals in school any more... So, fixed. FF 11 and 14 were MMO's, not 9 and 4.

Anyway, I wouldn't be opposed to play a MMO version of DQ, but I sure as hell won't be paying a subscription fee for a game I purchased at full price.
Didn't Capcom try to pull a subscription fee for Monster Hunter in Japan, only to drop it when they wanted to bring the game stateside?

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Super rough start! After reading the above comments though, it sounds like the changed the formula too much. I've never played a Dragon Quest game, but the Wii U one actually looks fun. Hopefully sales pick up soon for Square Enix's sake.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
You know what else helps a game not to tank? Damn advertisements! There was almost no talk about this game or any ads that I ever saw.