Dragon's Crown Designer Apologizes for Exaggerated Characters

Roguelike

Jun 8, 2010
Really he should be apologizing for the Elf, those pigtails might have led me to impure thoughts.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
People who get 'upset' at crap like this need to grow a damn spine and get over it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
See this is what you shouldn't do, if that is your intended design then stand the fuck behind and don't indulge these feckles politically correct trolls because they will just get more fuel for their flamewars.
If you wanted to make these hentai characters then so fucking be it, and people who can't handle it can fuck right off.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
I can see the problems in that design, if you are a normal woman. Why? Games have lead characters from both sexes, even when they do not have a "defined sex", like a monster. Rarely we see a character that can ignore this, like Amaterasu in Okami. But the catch is, almost everything Vanillaware does is exaggerated. Just look at Odin Sphere: Almost all the females have almost normal proportions, and also the males. But if you look at the monsters or bosses, you see the craziness go skyhigh. To me, the answer from Kamitani was absolutely stupid, and just dumb: He freely delivered bad publicity for him and his company, he might have mined the game in some extension.
I think Dragon's Crown can keep their style without a problem, but let's face it: How many female characters are fat, hugely muscular, unattractive, or even plain ugly? Really, tell me how many games have a female protagonist with a body that is not that perfect, or a female protagonist that is ugly? Show me a female, playable, comparison to Piggy from Enslaved? To Bob or Rufus from SFxTK? If you search through almost every game, it's possible you will find something here or there, but it's never mainstream, it's never in the cover. I really love the style used in Vanillaware games, and I can accept the female characters as they are. But, the response delivered by the head of the studio was a warning about how bad things still are inside this industry.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
No one should have to defend their creative decisions. Don't like it? Don't support the game.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
If he wanted to go for "unique" designs, as I think he was trying to imply, huge, burly and muscular men and women with boobs the size of watermelons aren't exactly unique.
Oddly, I'm more curious about the dancing wizard mouse. Why isn't that a playable character?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
If he wants to draw characters cribbed straight from a junior high school sketch pad, all the power to him and he doesn't need to apologize.

But he should apologize for his "If you don't like my cartoonishly buxom caricatures then obviously you're gay lolol" anti-joke. Though he should apologize to comedy.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
Gameplay for this actually looks like a lot of fun.

Still, honestly my first thought was "good lord look at the teeny tiny heads". It's so painfully stylized all around it's weirdly more balanced than some other fantasy games. That said, his response was tasteless at best... I'm not sure I could get into the art style...it's just too much.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
now I can't help but wonder how Rob Liefield would draw these characters... RESPECT THE POUCH!

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
My God.....that beard.

I really don't think he should apologize. Her design while clearly over the top in terms of proportions does seem to fit the stylized high fantasy vibe they seem to be going for.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I actually like the design and am absolutely prepared to throw money at this game.

It's hilarious to see the Sorceress' bust flop about. If only males knew how absolutely unpleasant this would be... but they don't, and they don't have to, and I like it like that.

It also wouldn't be much fun to have thighs the size of two Rottweiler dogs strapped to your loins.

It's not real. I've got enough real. I want this game, just the way the artist designed it.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
The content of the entire web makes this look tame. Hell I'll do you one better the content of MY hard drive makes this look tame. So what the hell is he apologizing for most FICTION is an exaggeration of sorts look at this.

Do you believe the people that made this movie " apologized " over the fact robots don't exist or do you think that was the POINT of the fiction. While gender equality and how it's defined is an ongoing issue in the gaming community it isn't something that requires an automatic apology for an exaggeration of either role or artistic style. If it did then most of our fictional entertainment wouldn't exist.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
It doesn't really make me uncomfortable (though I imagine most of those women would be in those postures) but it is laughably immature design.
Id say more dated then immature, the sexy seductress/burly barbarian have been done to death and this seems like another game using it to set the theme.

OT: I actually like the art style, its old school and looks like a medievil painting (though one drawn by a manga artist). The comments they made however WERE immature and im glad they've both apologised.

We need more class in gaming politics.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok now that he had to apologise over the whole affair, can everyone please stop complaining/ raging over it now?

The last thing I want to see is for him to competely have to redesign the character just to applease those who got upset over a frictional character (I doubt that will happen now seeing that game is almost out, far beyond from delevopment unless they decide to delay it just to tinker with it).

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Some of those characters look jiggly.

Jigggllllly. Jigglejigglejiggle. Okay I'm stopping

Apologize for the kerfuffle, but the art is...well it's not my thing, but it's art...it's a choice. I support that.

Mar 19, 2010
Well if this is bothering all those people. I wish my biggest problem was scantily clad characters in video game.

captcha: allergic reaction
*that captcha, exactly how i feel when righteous internet warriors for truth and equality get all angry about pointless stuff like this*

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think we should ever apologize again for stupid silly fun. We can apologize until we are out of breath but some people will just never be happy until we act like a bunch of eunuchs who never have any sexual thoughts for any reason. Some people just aren't going to be happy with anything short of it being a crime to ever find another person or representation of a person attractive.

I'm male. Sometimes that means I'm crass, sometimes it even means I act like a bit of a cave man but I can laugh at myself for finding absurd art strangely appealing. Yes I've seen cartoons like Queen's Blade, but I still know what real women look like and I don't hold them to some insane notion of perfection. Perhaps it's a horrible thing but maybe men should be allowed to be men as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
This game looks kind of neat... I like the art style. A few characters of both genders are exaggerated - but nothing we haven't seen before. I also understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

The reality is, if it offends you and aren't into it, don't buy it. Same way I'm not into and don't buy firemen calendars.