Dragon's Crown Designer Apologizes for Exaggerated Characters

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Read this.
Knew I shouldn't have.
Did it anyway.
Feel like I must go kill everyone now.

I swear if he ends up changing the style I will personally eat everyone's soul.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, people complaining about people trying to censor this guy are basically advocating for censorship of criticism.

You have every right to like his art style, but you have no right to tell us to shut up if we think it sucks and we want to say that.

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
Well Congrats internet, you just made a man apologize for creating the art he wants to create.

I really hate you.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Calamity said:
Well Congrats internet, you just made a man apologize for creating the art he wants to create.

I really hate you.
We criticized him because he created something that we didn't like. When someone puts something out for the public to consume, it is open to criticism.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
My only real issue with the sorceress is that her clothing doesn't convey Powerful Necromancer to me. She looks like she's in a halloween outfit from the fetish store using her prop staff as a butt-scratcher.

... Unless she's not supposed to be a powerful necromancer and she's actually a seductress using moves like charm... then it fits... kinda.

EDIT:

Ok, I just saw the gameplay footage of her for the first time and found it less sexy and more hilarious. Her movements are so ridiculous they achieve self parody.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
Those certainly are some "exaggerated characters!"

Eh? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh?

Shut up, who do you think I am, Daystar?
Well you're clearly not...

OT: Now, we've known about this game for, how long? A year now? And its only now that people start getting up in arms over this?

*Edit*

erttheking said:
Calamity said:

I really hate you.
We criticized him because he created something that we didn't like. When someone puts something out for the public to consume, it is open to criticism.
Are you one of those people that stood by Bioware's original ME3 endings, and felt they shouldnt have to change it for the fans? Cuz if you were, then I may die happy...

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
JemothSkarii said:
I'm amazed nobody has posted this, yay, means I can be of use in a thread. This is an interesting post from someone somewhere and it makes good sense to me (slight NSFW in the form of Ancient Statues)):

Sooo...yeah, that's my thought, apologizing for it was kind of silly.
You sir/ma'am are awesome and have my thanks for sparring me the hassle of looking for this stuff myself.
Not G. Ivingname said:
I think he should of apologized.

Not because it is distasteful (go far enough off the deep end and everything stops being offensive) but because it just is bad.

It only vaguely looks human, it reminds me of bad image comics done in a vaguely anime style. I don't care how large the boobs are, I care more that the proporitions just makes everything look creepy.
And you, I highly disagree with your view of these characters.
piinyouri said:
Read this.
Knew I shouldn't have.
Did it anyway.
Feel like I must go kill everyone now.

I swear if he ends up changing the style I will personally eat everyone's soul.
does your soul eating rampage have room for a +1?
Calamity said:
Well Congrats internet, you just made a man apologize for creating the art he wants.

I really hate you.
And I am with your hate dood!

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
This strikes me as looking for something to complain about more than anything else. Yes the sorceress taken on it's own seems like sexualization for the sake of it, but when compared to the rest of the art the theme of exaggeration is easily seen both on the male and female characters. I am not a big fan of the art style myself but I do love the design of the Elf/Archer who is easily the most downplayed of the bunch. So, while I don't particularly like it, I defend this as an artistic choice rather than just a "now I'm going to add some boobies" moment.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
WanderingFool said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Those certainly are some "exaggerated characters!"

Eh? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh?

Shut up, who do you think I am, Daystar?
Well you're clearly not...

OT: Now, we've known about this game for, how long? A year now? And its only now that people start getting up in arms over this?

*Edit*

erttheking said:
Calamity said:

I really hate you.
Are you one of those people that stood by Bioware's original ME3 endings, and felt they shouldnt have to change it for the fans? Cuz if you were, then I may die happy...
I was one of the people who criticized both the old ending and the new. Frankly they both sucked. Also when the dipshit head of the creator team writes the ending by himself while locking the rest of the team out, then really pulling the "artistic integrity" card is laughable because your artistic integrity is already dead in a ditch.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
erttheking said:
WanderingFool said:
erttheking said:
Calamity said:

I really hate you.
I was one of the people who criticized both the old ending and the new. Frankly they both sucked. Also when the dipshit head of the creator team writes the ending by himself while locking the rest of the team out, then really pulling the "artistic integrity" card is laughable because your artistic integrity is already dead in a ditch.
Ah, so we were basically on the same side of that little debate (I personally feel that Casey Hudson should be fired... out of a cannon... into the sun... for that shit.) But it still would have been humorous, from a hypocritical perspective.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Stop being a chld. Everyone whines about something, and honestly when comapred to the art design of the male to the female, unless he's Bierotic...

I say it's a unique art style. One I don't care for myself but buddy stand up for your work.

Don't be a ***** like most politicans who say something strong then apologize four hours later cause the puss brigade couldn't handle it.

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
erttheking said:
Calamity said:

I really hate you.
Even you must admit, this whole thing has jumped way past the point of "criticism".

Both extremes of this argument have poisoned any sort of good intentions anyone had for talking about this.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Calamity said:
erttheking said:
Calamity said:

I really hate you.
Even you must admit, this whole thing has jumped way past the point of "criticism".

Both extremes of this argument have poisoned any sort of good intentions anyone had for talking about this.
There's always going to be extremists. I'm not going to keep my criticisms bottled up because someone else goes too far.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Everyone needs to get over it. You can't stifle everyones creative design because it may offend someone, somewhere. All of his characters are equally exaggerated.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Yes, he should apologize because nothing in history has ever had an exaggerated art style. Yep, nothing at all.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I really don't like to pull out this accusation, but this really seems like the kind of thing Kotaku is doing just for hits. The author took a relatively obscure game, made a huge fuss about it, and didn't shut up about it until he got a response from the developer that wasn't negative. It doesn't help that Kotaku doesn't have a very good reputation in the first place.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
Hmm, maybe it's just that image, but that seems to be about the right size for a staff...unless it has something to do with a gameplay video. Then I'd have to check it out myself. Thinking about it you could make anything into a pin-up, even say...George Bush :p.