Dragon's Crown Designer Apologizes for Exaggerated Characters

Neeko Masochist

Apr 11, 2008
I have to be honest, all I am seeing from this is a bunch of complacent buggers bitching about something that doesn't need to be complained about. So what if characters are Exaggerated look in every game that's recently come out there are big exaggerations in them, loads of games have exaggerated characters in them, from BOTH sexes.

I can't really recall too many games that really show overly beefy cake other than God of War and Conan the Barbarian of which both protagonists pretty much run around in a loin cloth, I could add Gears of War but I haven't played the series and I doubt any of the protagonists have been seen out of their armour. We all know that females are overly exagerrated in games, I could point to Scarlet Blade where the only gender in that game you can play is FEMALE in which every character pretty much only ever runs around in a damn swimsuit. Lara Croft since her inception has been portrayed as a sex symbol, though they have tried to change that in their latest game. In fact if you look at many MMO's you'll find the females always tend to be portrayed sexily with skimpy outfits and armour.

This won't stop, people will keep exaggerating characters for fantasy, men will still be portrayed as mountains of muscle, girls will still be in their sexy outfits and skimpy armour. That's the god damned gaming industry. And that's why its called fantasy. All I can say is go blow your hot air elsewhere, every games art style is different and this guy TRIED something else. I do agree that some designs look peculiar in my eyes such as the barbarian, and I won't lie due to the fact I'm a guy I like the idea of a nice pair of tits on a girl but I don't play a game JUST because it has sexy girls in it otherwise I'd actually be playing Scarlet Blade (The games mechanics and gameplay just don't keep me entertained.) I play a game for good gameplay, a good storyline is a bonus, and good looking girls another plus. But at the same time the male characters look great too, you play a fantasy game to be something else, if that means I can be a god damned great hulk in armour with a sword so big it makes the ladies swoon at its very presence of of a single swing doth send my foe to the fiery pits of hell to burn...

And did you ever think that maybe there might be some girls that actually very enjoy the idea of playing a big burly man with a huge sword? Or a glorified sex symbol with a chest you can trampoline off? It depends on your tastes.

TL;DR: Stop bitching about sexism in games. Its been done over and over tenfold and I'm fucking sick of it. Sexism works both ways.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Salad Is Murder said:
Ugh, how disgusting...this artist doesn't know proper proportions and his stylistic choice was obviously made because he has the mind of a pre-pubescent boy:

Here's another disgusting slob cranking out his fapping material:

Can you believe they used to make figurines of this filth:

Did this guy ever take an art class, THAT'S NOT HOW ANATOMY WORKS JACKHOLE:
[/sn
I really don't agree with some of the users here like yourself Salad of using art to "frame" your argument, if your going to use a comparison from sexualisation in games versus art then it would probably work if in "The Unfinished Swan" the main characters mother had implants.

Dark Magician Girl from Yu Gi Oh would be a good comparison to this artists character, but it doesn't get that whole sarcasm point across these users are going for.

To conclude!, you can't compare this guys work versus picasso. Its like putting Emimen against Johan Bach, because its ridiculous[footnote]yes i understand that is kinda the point[/footnote].

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I actually like the design and am absolutely prepared to throw money at this game.

It's hilarious to see the Sorceress' bust flop about. If only males knew how absolutely unpleasant this would be... but they don't, and they don't have to, and I like it like that.

It also wouldn't be much fun to have thighs the size of two Rottweiler dogs strapped to your loins.

It's not real. I've got enough real. I want this game, just the way the artist designed it.
I don't like the more exagerated designs that much, so i'll probably stay with the elf or male wizard.

That said it was pretty obvious that he comically exagerated everything. I couldn't really understand the whole shitstorm around it.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Hm, fair enough, if he's exaggerating all the characters in equal measure, w/e.

The Facebook dwarves thing was still really dumb.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
DigitalSushi said:
To conclude!, you can't compare this guys work versus picasso. Its like putting Emimen against Johan Bach, because its ridiculous
And why can't he compare them? because you believe one to be of higher quality than the other? Artistic freedom is inherent to all art not just 'good art'.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
JazzJack2 said:
DigitalSushi said:
To conclude!, you can't compare this guys work versus picasso. Its like putting Emimen against Johan Bach, because its ridiculous
And why can't he compare them? because you believe one to be of higher quality than the other? Artistic freedom is inherent to all art not just 'good art'.
So which is the "good art"?, Am I a massive fan of Yu Gi Oh, and believe the Dark Magician Girl to be the epitome of beauty of women in a sexualised way?

I didn't say he couldn't compare them, I said I didn't agree with how this is being compared to picasso by some users on this site and the net in general. I'd like to reiterate that I didn't say "HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO COMPARE IT", I just said I don't agree with them comparing Vanillawares huge boobed sorceress to Picasso... I never said one was high art and one wasn't.

You are right [user]JazzJack2[/user], Artistic freedom of speech shall we call it? (a friend of mine says "art wants to be free"), we should let this creator of massive tits be judged on his own merits, not on the merit of others or the size of tits he drew once. Personally... I am pro breasts, breast cancer can GTFO.

HAHHAHA, No wait, before you go, I did compare them!, sorry about that
:D

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
DigitalSushi said:
Salad Is Murder said:
I also snip, my post was a lot of stuff.
I really don't agree with some of the users here like yourself Salad of using art to "frame" your argument, if your going to use a comparison from sexualisation in games versus art then it would probably work if in "The Unfinished Swan" the main characters mother had implants.

Dark Magician Girl from Yu Gi Oh would be a good comparison to this artists character, but it doesn't get that whole sarcasm point across these users are going for.

To conclude!, you can't compare this guys work versus picasso. Its like putting Emimen against Johan Bach, because its ridiculous[footnote]yes i understand that is kinda the point[/footnote].
I'm not going to deny that I was using hyperbole to make my point, but I'm also not going to deny that I was in the right to do so.

Look, you gotta' let art be art, but never forget: the whole purpose of art is expression and communication, and how that manifests in the person viewing/experiencing it; reflected in the myriad of experiences a lifetime can build up, you see not just what the artist has made, but pieces of yourself in it.

Let's look at the reaction the sorceress artwork is causing, are people afraid to say they like it because they've been conditioned to see those kind of works as exploitative and sexist? Do they actually believe that the illustration itself is of poor quality and design? Do they just not like for reasons they may or may not be able to communicate? Sure, it's possible, but don't you see? That's us! That's the viewer making suppositions and interpretations about the art and the artist.

It's okay to like pictures of sexy girls in dresses, if I had a rack half that good I would wear that dress everywhere. It's okay to not think Kratos is hunky...it's cool if you think he is.

All of this internet garbage about false equivalences and sexism and fake geek/nerd/gaming girls whatever is toxic. We're sticking our heads in the sand and gnashing our teeth about all these perceived slights but we're not doing the things we really need to do to fix it:

Stop being shitty to each other.

But we'd all have to be a lot more honest with ourselves to get to that point, and I don't think I'm ready for that yet either.

And yes, you can compare Bach to Eminem. A lot of artists are not well appreciated in their time, you know.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Salad Is Murder said:
I'm not going to deny that I was using hyperbole to make my point, but I'm also not going to deny that I was in the right to do so.
Absolutely.

Salad Is Murder said:
Look, you gotta' let art be art, but never forget: the whole purpose of art is expression and communication, and how that manifests in the person viewing/experiencing it; reflected in the myriad of experiences a lifetime can build up, you see not just what the artist has made, but pieces of yourself in it.
I'll admit I don't understand what you mean here.

Salad Is Murder said:
Let's look at the reaction the sorceress artwork is causing, are people afraid to say they like it because they've been conditioned to see those kind of works as exploitative and sexist? Do they actually believe that the illustration itself is of poor quality and design? Do they just not like for reasons they may or may not be able to communicate? Sure, it's possible, but don't you see? That's us! That's the viewer making suppositions and interpretations about the art and the artist.
ha you fucking magnificient person you!

Personally I never heard of this game but thanks to this shitstorm I think it looks gorgeous (I mean really old school gorgeous with HD graphics gorgeous), its not of poor quality or design, it merely has one character with ENERMOUS BOOBIES!

I think I understand your point about us and art and how we project ourselves onto it but I don't agree with it though.

Salad Is Murder said:
It's okay to like pictures of sexy girls in dresses, if I had a rack half that good I would wear that dress everywhere. It's okay to not think Kratos is hunky...it's cool if you think he is.
babe, if you had a rack like that, you go for it, but you would never have a rack like that... because that rack ain't real

I think Kratos is a lovely caracature of anger, Marcus Fenix is a peice of shitcunt design created by a 14 year old with daddy issues... I never bitched about that, I just let people make that game and let others play that game.

Salad Is Murder said:
Stop being shitty to each other.
I hope you don't feel I've been shitty to you

Salad Is Murder said:
But we'd all have to be a lot more honest with ourselves to get to that point, and I don't think I'm ready for that yet either.

And yes, you can compare Bach to Eminem. A lot of artists are not well appreciated in their time, you know.
Oh of course you can compare Bach to Emimen... you ain't gonna get far doing it though are you?

Having the possibility of comparing something like Bach to Emimen is your God giving right, being able to sway a person's opinion on the matter however, its their god giving right to not be idiots.

Bach versus Emimen?
Marcus Fenix versus Leonidas?

Yeah go for it, compare.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Darken12 said:
Well, I'm glad he apologised for the disgusting homophobic joke, at least.

Also, he didn't apologise for the designs. He explained how he got to them and then apologised if YOU didn't see what he originally saw. He's not admitting that there was anything wrong with what he did whatsoever (though I'm not surprised by that), except, perhaps, that he should have tried harder to bring forth that "light-hearted fantasy tone" he talks about.

Either way, it's progress, I guess.
The thing is, if you look at his previous works (Odin Sphere and Princess Crown), You can see that there are tons of both exaggerated and understated characters of both sexes. Nothing in Dragon's Crown is any different than those. Which makes the current fervor odd for anyone familiar with his work.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
SAMAS said:
The thing is, if you look at his previous works (Odin Sphere and Princess Crown), You can see that there are tons of both exaggerated and understated characters of both sexes. Nothing in Dragon's Crown is any different than those. Which makes the current fervor odd for anyone familiar with his work.
Odd? Sure, I can agree with that. Though I'm also sure that you will find people offering critical opinions to his works since he started making them public (though admittedly, nothing that went as massive as this).

I am still totally in favour of offering a critical analysis of his artistic choices, and I consider his response to criticism to be juvenile and homophobic. While the criticism itself may not have been stellar (it could have been nicer, I'll agree with that), it was still something that deserved to exist and with which I happen to agree, in general terms.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Tanis said:
People who get 'upset' at crap like this need to grow a damn spine and get over it.
Bingo. We now have artists apologizing for their work because it upsets people. Stick to your damn guns.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I don't like his designs - if you're going to cut a woman's bodice down that low, have the guts to show her fricking areolae-- not to mention the tiny heads! - but I don't think he needs to apologise for them. They simply don't appeal to me. Gustav Klimt's paintings don't appeal to me either, but I don't expect him to apologise for them. I like Kamitani's use of colour and how he blends them, but the actual depictions? Not really. The archer is the only one I like.

However I AM glad that he apologised for the "hur hur, you must be gay" joke. That was stupid.