Dragon's Dogma - did it sort of fly over everyone's heads?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I would instantly buy and play the heck out of that game ... if it was on PC :/

I simply won't buy a console for the handful of games I'd play on one.

Furthermore, many of the issues that people talk about in this game would be patched out by modders in a week or so. But the Japanese are sadly very iffy about PC games in general, so yeah.

Aug 23, 2014
One of my all time favorite games; right next to Dark Souls in fact.

And most curiously, unlike many here, I found Skyrim with disdain instead.

Oh and yes I am a Monster Hunter, if that gives you any insight.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I dont think it simply flew over everyones heads.

However it did come in the wake of the Street Fighter x Tekken on disc DLC fiasco.

Also there was no PC version.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
The game is good but could have benefited from some better design decisions, such as the infuriating save system where there's only ONE save slot, and completing a main quest can move the story forward (with no warning) and cut off other side quests, including ones you are already on. Then the game decides to autosave after you hand a in a storyline quest, and poof, you can't revert to an older save after realizing you can't do a bunch of side quests now.

The game had wonderful combat system and I loved the way you could launch party members with certain combos, but I found the writing wanting a bit (sorry I am spoiled by Bioware story telling). Gimme Bioware/Obsidian level of writing and Dragon's Dogma style of combat and I INSTABUY it any day.

Jonbodhi

Sep 27, 2013
Awesome game! One of the best I've played this year. Yes, there are LOTS of flaws, especially the bizarre save system. Worst of all is the 'cancel quest without warning' mechanic. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I'll offer a defense of the quest system though. Many of the 'board quests' seem like dopey make-work, but most are things you'd probably do anyway, the game just gives you the chance for extra rewards for doing them.

Fast travel needs some tweaks, but I think one reason for the fast travel restrictions is to force you to deal with the consequences of the day/night cycle. Some of my best moments in the game were at night, illuminated only by a lamp, but I might never have found that out without getting trapped outside a few times. The game needs more of the depth and polish Skyrim gave, like work schedules for its NPCs, and more random elements to its enemy encounters, and definitely a few more monster types.

Still, for all the talk about how 'deep' Bioshock Infinite's ending was, I thought 'Dogma's' conclusion was more metaphysical, more philosophical, and far more emotional. Plus, the game was a lot more fun to play. I'd make a day one purchase of a sequel

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I enjoyed the game but can never play it for long and have never finished it. It carries itself entirely on its gameplay, this is the main redeeming feature and is what makes it a decent game. I love the combat, it's great fun and no other game has similar combat.

However the game is riddled with flaws. Some of them are pretty small, some of them are kinda annoying and some of them are HUGE.
My biggest problem is the awful save system. You can only have one file, one character, one playthrough at once. If im playing as a warrior but I feel like trying a mage character for a bit then I have to delete my entire playthrough and start a new game to do it.

It has a lot of other problems that i'll let others list but if they made a sequel to this with the same or similar combat that fixed most of these problems then it could be a great game.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It probably didn't receive as much exposure as it deserves but the game was also only half way great.
For all their good ideas they had an equal number of derps, along with the story derp which left everyone I know completely confused as to what was suppose to be going on... very hard to remember a game like that.

But I will say that DD breaking the mold on combat was the biggest thing in action RPGs, even the Souls series contends with no more then ye olde ankle bitter combat. They may not have it perfect in DD but they are miles ahead of anything that came so far, and I hope every developer is paying attention because the bar has been set much higher now.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I loved the combat. Loved the weighty feeling of every hit. Loved climbing over huge enemies and being tossed around and eventually overcoming them. It really makes you feel like a hero of myth.

It's just a shame the rest of the game's design was a bit shit. Constantly respawning trash mobs are not and have never been fun. It sounds like a small issue, but it made travelling a humongous chore.

If they could fix that issue, if they could make a world that's more fun to wander around with less common and randomly generated mobs it'd maybe be my favourite open world action RPG.

Oh and they'd have to make the pawns shut the fuck up, too. And make more interesting (even if it drastically reduces the number) side quests. And a proper save system. And okay so only the combat was really any good.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
It's not on PC and reviews at the time were not stellar so I ignored it. It then caught my attention after all due to all sorts of youtube videos, forum threads, etc. asking the exact same thing as this thread. But it's still not on PC so what difference does it make, other than that I'm disappointed about it now rather than indifferent?

t00bz

Feb 23, 2009
A player should not be expected to go 10 sodding hours into a game before it gets good. If a game cannot hook me within the first 2 hours of gameplay, I write it off completely. I played both Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, and both were extremely painful to play.

If you like it, that's fine, but you come off as a douche when you claim that it might have gone over people's heads or that they just didn't give it enough time to get good.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I loved the game, but as previously said in the thread, DD is a MMORPG without the other players to interact with. I played it for close to 50+ hours and no one ever EVER used my pawn. It was insulting. DD is one of those games where just playing it makes you feel left out. And for a world so damn big, the stamina bar really needs to diminish slower. Such a pain in the ass trying to get across the map!
And I really wish after you romance Mercedes Marten she'd come with you, stab some things.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
It had great premise and a lot of good ideas.

However, it was bogged down by a large number of design problems. The general consensus when it came out was that everyone liked it, but wanted a sequel with better design.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Loved it, did several playthroughs, enjoyed the many great moments like the first time fighting a griffin. What starts hard get's easier and i loved bashing goblins with my bare fists or watching my pawn killing a drake in no time.

Then dark arisen got released and i bought the same game again. While i hated Capcoms release policy i never regretted it and invested more hours. Whooo damn, my habit going out with my favorite looking gear and only my pawn got me killed fast. Now i was hooked again collecting gear and fighting the new enemies. I did several playtroughs again, loved the changes after the first time.

I haven't touched dark arisen since i lost my savegame but this is the one franchise Capcom gets my support. I'm not sure about deep down, maybe it's kind of a testrun for DD2. I want more Dragons Dogma.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Not flown over as in irrelevant to my interest. Does it look awesome? Yep; does it feels like a good fantasy game? You bet. However, unless my care somehow results in a PC version, all my care will go to waste.

Saying that, if DD2 has a PC version I'll definitely look at it.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
its okay but if you die you can lose hours of progress because it doesn't autosave, yeah yeah this is YOUR fault. whatever.

also the pawn system takes a lot of fun out of the game. it would have been much better if they simplified it a bit.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
No PC release, no purchase. That said, I would quite like to give it a try if it ever appeared on a platform I give a shit about.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
endtherapture said:
I believe the hype for deep down died somewhere between free to play or no English translation, however I could be remembering Deep Down wrong. I know they said free to play.

Apr 5, 2008
Dragon's Dogma is a great game, tho I only came to play it a year or so after its release. I played DD: Dark Arisen which is the base game + the "expansion"/"DLC" or whatever one would prefer to call it. I'm glad I did since I think the additions made a difference between an "interesting" game and a great one. It addressed many shortfalls and added interesting new features, not the least of which is the Bitterblack Isle dungeon and higher level gear.

I loved that it had an NG+ and that it supported so much theorycrafting, tho I didn't spend too much time worrying about that. I played Magic Archer mostly, though it was practically an entire playthru before I came to that since getting the right stats involved a few levels of sorcerer, warrior, ranger, etc. I wanted to unlock all the skills I could for other classes, level my pawn well too to make her a great tank (I decided she'd take that role leaving me free to pursue any other).

Magic Archer is a great class with only one downside...the inability to fight metal golems. Pawns aren't smart enough to target all the medallions and the magic archer has no way to reach some of the higher medallions in the one or two times you encounter them.

Jason Rayes said:
I actually quite like it though as people have pointed out the pawn AI is kind of retarded and also they tend to repeat the same lines of dialogue ad nauseam.
The dialogue I'll grant, but the AI isn't that bad. The issue is that pawns other than the players own pawn have a *fixed AI* and doesn't change. A player's pawn's AI changes depending on conversations with them in the "chair" and orders issued to them. They have a primary behaviour, secondary and tertiary behaviour (called "Inclinations") from one of the following: Scather, Medicant, Mitigator, Challenger, Utilitarian, Guardian, Nexus, Pioneer, Acquisitior. They all have different effects on the pawn's behaviour.

To reiterate, the behaviour of hired pawns never changes. Now the different inclinations are things like "Target strongest opponents first", "Target ranged opponents first", "heal" or "pick up loot". Depending on if they're the primary, secondary or tertiary inclination will have different effects on the behaviour. F.ex a pawn with Aquisitor primary, and Medicant secondary will always pick up loot before doing anything else. If there is no loot then it will heal whomever is injured, no matter how minor the injury. Only if there is a) no loot and b) no injuries at all, will it move on to actually hitting something (depending on its tertiary behaviour).

The main issue players face is that the *overwhelming majority* of pawns for hire are Guardian or Nexus primary. These are the most useless Inclinations, causing a pawn to do absolutely nothing whatsoever until the PC is hit (in the first instance) or another pawn is hit (in the second). This behaviour can't be altered on hired pawns. It is because of laziness on the pawns' owners' parts, spamming commands that cause their pawns to become primary guardians, pioneers or nexuses.

I ensured that my main pawn has good gear and the best inclinations to behave like a tank. I can't remember exactly but it was something like Scather primary, Utilitarian secondary and Acquisitor tertiary. Extra effort had to be made (using elixirs) to ensure they were just so and if they changed through gameplay, I'd ensure to change them back. Good pawns with the right inclinations are hard to find but the only ones worth hiring. Guardian and Nexus pawns are almost completely useless.

Jason Rayes said:
Dark Arisen is the sequel correct? Have you played the original game and if so, what improvements have you noticed?
While I never played the original, I know the improvements Dark Arisen brought. It wasn't a sequel so much as a massive expansion to the base game, later released as a standalone title. It's basically like The Witcher 1/2 and the Enhanced Editions in a way. Same game, but with extra content, bug fixing, polish and gameplay tweaks. First, it included all previously released DLCs, including quests, armour/weapons and cosmetic items. Second, an addition was the "quick travel" system with the *very* expensive teleportation stones (port crystals) that the player could place anywhere they choose (up to 11 IIRC). New, static ones were added around Gransys and the player could place their own as they liked.

Thirdly, equipment could be improved beyond Dragonforged, up to Goldforged. There was a ton of new equipment added, including many high level items found in the new area...Bitterblack Isle. It's a massive dungeon with very tough, scaled enemies. The boss at the end of it is very tough and beating him lets the player redo the dungeon in a harder difficulty mode. Rewards include "cursed" items that can have the curse lifted to become high level weapons or armour.

There are some really powerful new items including an eternal ferrystone (infinite, as the name suggests, only for players who own the base version), a new, "elite" lantern, obviously high level weapon and armour sets. There are also a dozen or so new augments available for player and pawn and, with rings from BBI, skills could go up to level 3, one level higher than the base game. There were like two or so rings for each class that each improved a couple of skills by one level. A sorcerer's Gicel or Bolide enhanced to "Grand" level were apocalyptic. :)

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
It didn't fly over mine, I absolutely loved it. I didn't love the lack of fast travelling though, but I happily overlooked it because everything else was pretty damn awesome. If I hadn't needed the money at the time, I would never have traded it in. I miss it so much. I thought the pawn system was brilliant. But then, I'm the type that adores character creation and spent hours and hours on it doing every little thing that the game would let me. I had a great time with the game, imagining my own character's thoughts and the secret relationship going on between my character and her pawn.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I loved the game. Admittedly, however, the only reason I was able to stick with it to enjoy was b/c of the gaming drought prior to release of the next Mass Effect game (I have always been more of and RPG nut, less so with shooters or sandboxes).

Even so, the lack of a fast travel almost made me quit, and the storyline could have been utilized a little better. The thing that kept me most engaged was playing it on PS3, as I just made a bunch of alternative (and free) accounts, and shared my own Pawns back and forth with my alts.