Dragon's Dogma Sequels Seem Likely

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dragon's Dogma Sequels Seem Likely

One million sales mean Capcom is likely to turn Dragon's Dogma into a full-blown franchise.

Despite underwhelming sales in the west, Dragon's Dogma's strong performance in Japan helped Capcom shift an impressive 1 million units. The title's success means Capcom's plans to turn it into a "major franchise" are likely to go ahead. During a conference call with investors, the company stated that it's in a position to "favorably consider subsequent titles."

Previously, director Hideaki Itsuno said that Dragon's Dogma 2 would happen only if fans "wanted it badly enough."

Dragon's Dogma is at least partially responsible for Capcom's highly successful last quarter. The company announced a 290.2 percent jump in profits during the three-month period ending on June 30th. That's despite the fact Capcom, along with many other Japanese publishers, took a huge revenue hit when the government began cracking down on the "complete gacha" gameplay mechanics often seen in online games. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.374310-Japan-Ready-To-Ban-Gacha-Gameplay]

Dragon's Dogma was generally well-received [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dragons-dogma] by critics; our own Greg Tito gave it a respectable 3.5/5 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9658-Dragons-Dogma-Review].

Source: GameIndustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-01-dragons-dogma-seen-as-relative-success-capcom-leaning-towards-making-a-sequel]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I won't be buying it. I got Skyrim plus Capcoms lost my respect with its desicions in the past year. They are never getting another cent from me.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Eh, it's alright.
Needed some refining in the game mechanics and an easier way to get around. Maybe a bigger world and some actual NG+ content. Animation and voice acting needed some work done on it too.
I'd get a sequel when it went down in price.

Apr 28, 2008
Neat. I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma, despite its flaws. Hopefully with a new game they can fix some of these flaws. These flaws being non-stop talking companions, annoying menus, having to run through the same places over and over again and fight the exact same enemies from those places, all while your goddamn companions say the same damn things over and over again.

But yeah, it's a decent enough game. Glad for its success. Hopefully a sequel improves and expands the series.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Huh so Capcom managed to make a profit on a game with 150 people on it. Wouldn't have guessed that. Though I have no idea how they are going to make anything with Resident Evil 6 and it's absurd 600 people team.

Personally I'm done with Capcom. My last straw was buying Asura's Wrath when they tried selling me the ending to the game I bought for an extra $7. Sold the game immediately when I saw that. Wish I didn't buy it in the first place now.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Hearing this announcement made me buy the game. I always wanted to but I stopped myself since I've already got several RPGs on the go, and some even waiting to be started, but I couldn't resist it any more. I just had to go for it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
Huh so Capcom managed to make a profit on a game with 150 people on it. Wouldn't have guessed that. Though I have no idea how they are going to make anything with Resident Evil 6 and it's absurd 600 people team.

Personally I'm done with Capcom. My last straw was buying Asura's Wrath when they tried selling me the ending to the game I bought for an extra $7. Sold the game immediately when I saw that. Wish I didn't buy it in the first place now.
Mine was the canning of MML3 after saying AAI2 would never come to the States.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
RaikuFA said:
80Maxwell08 said:

Oh those didn't help either but cancelling a game when all evidence shows it probably wouldn't even hit 6 figures is one thing. Blaming the fans right afterward is another thing entirely. Honestly even if Capcom brought it back I still wouldn't buy it at this point. I refuse to give any money to them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
RaikuFA said:
80Maxwell08 said:

Oh those didn't help either but cancelling a game when all evidence shows it probably wouldn't even hit 6 figures is one thing. Blaming the fans right afterward is another thing entirely. Honestly even if Capcom brought it back I still wouldn't buy it at this point. I refuse to give any money to them.
They blamed the sales of Okamiden for AAI2 never coming to the states. Mainly cause AAI was only sold in 2 regions while Okamiden was sold in every region.

Makes me regret buying Okamiden.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
RaikuFA said:
80Maxwell08 said:
RaikuFA said:
80Maxwell08 said:

They blamed the sales of Okamiden for AAI2 never coming to the states. Mainly cause AAI was only sold in 2 regions while Okamiden was sold in every region.

Makes me regret buying Okamiden.
Wait...they blamed an entirely seperate game for why the sequel to another game won't be localized anywhere else? Where do they get this wacko world logic from? Now I'm really glad I'm done with them.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma, but it came out with an awful lot of DLC off the bat. But still a very solid fun game. I'd buy the sequel.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I approve. Dragon's Dogma was a good game with some excellent ideas. It missed genuine greatness due to a handful of flaws that could feasibly be ironed out in a sequel. If they patch up the issues, refine the good stuff even further and expand on the game's world, it could be great. These are the things sequels typically do anyway, so there's hope for sure.

Something I really hope they do is include a story that's actually worth a damn this time. Aside from Dragon Age, Western RPGs tend to be almost completely narratively bankrupt with no characters or interactions worth a shit. Since Dragon's Dogma was a Japanese game trying its damndest to be a WRPG, it's not difficult to see how it ended up the same way. They should change that in the sequel. It would be pretty embarrassing for Western developers to be beaten at their own game.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm curious how they would work in a new plot into a sequel. I mean everything about how the cycle works was laid out pretty well already.

I'd hope for a similar styled game, but with a vastly different plot, in a different country entirely with nothing to do with Arisen and pawns.

That is totally unlikely, but seriously if the pawn system is what they think to keep in order to please fans...most people I've heard from went Assassin purely for the autonomy augment and tossed all their pawns into the sea for most of the time they played it.

I liked them for a while, until I realized that they say EXACTLY the same things EVERY time you go past the SAME spot over and over. Regardless of which direction you are coming from etc. they will (sometimes talking over each other repeatedly) say the same thing coming and going.

Yes, that IS a large tree, and yes judging from all the dead wolves we just killed we should look out for wolves ahead.

TIS WEAK TO FIRE! OMG REALLY?!

I would have just preferred an actual bestiary that filled in as you fought stuff. The system doesn't really help you currently as you either need to figure it out FOR your own pawn by trial and error (and it never tells you WHAT they learned about the creature when they do) or you need to hire a pawn that knows it AND feels like sharing the information.

The first time I fought a litch I had no idea how to actually get it to take damage, and none of my pawns did either. Didn't go well, especially as their were 2 chimeras and a never ending supply of hellhounds in the same damn room. It was like something out of Vagrant Story...and I almost mean that in a good way.

Also more skills would be nice, and less overlapping ones. I'd rather classes be more or less unique from each other and not just 90% of the same skills because they both use daggers etc.

More actual enemy variety, and not just 2-4 variants of the same creature with maybe one new attack.

More light element spells. I think the only light skills are Hunter Bolt, Magical Gleam, Seism, and the one Mystic Knight spell that kills everyones stamina at the same time which I never got because I HATED mystic knight. And Warrior, and Fighter.

Idk the point of giving Warriors more than 3 skills to choose from, when they can only use 3 at one time (half of any of the other classes) and only 3 or 4 of them are actually useful. When the best attack your class has is its basic jumping attack, and the only reason to level up with it is slightly more HP...then the class isn't that fun for most people.

Personally I used assassin, Ranger, and Sorcerer quite a bit. They are all fun, and all are pretty useful in making my favorite class of Magick Archer more powerful.

Its one of the few classes where it was actually hard to choose JUST 6 skills at any one time. It also has all of the elements covered, though it would be nice if the dark element skills didn't kill your pawns...

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I could see a sequel that improves on the core mechanics while adding a few new ones being very, very good.

Honestly even something as simple as legitimate multiplayer (summoning friends, but not doing away with the pawn system entirely) and keeping the same feeling of the game could be epic.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I really do hope a sequel comes stateside. I've been having a blast with Dragon's Dogma. People have criticized it for using the generic western fantasy setting, but you know, so what? There's nothing wrong with using a theme or setting that's been used a lot in the past if it's done well. And Dragon's Dogma does it well.

Hell I even loved the Pawns. I loved going online to see what crazy combinations people came up with. I even liked their incredibly awkward dialogue. Although I can perfectly understand why people might find it annoying. And to be fair if you and three of your friends where actually fighting a Chimera you aren't going to remain silent. You would be shouting, calling for help, barking out orders, shouting out when openings appear etc. Just look at videos on youtube of groups of people getting into street and bar fights. None of them are silent.

Dragon's Dogma is certainly not without flaws but they can be pretty easily fixed, and the things that work well work really well. If they do release a sequel stateside I'd defintely pre-order one of those crazy super mega deluxe editions.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Good to hear. I saw it a spiritual spin-off of Monster Hunter, without the annoyances that disheartened me to the franchise.

Granted, it has it's own problems.