Dragons Dogma to receive a f2p sequel.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
I saw nothing on the escapist about this so I sharing this with you guys.

For those of you who don't know around a month ago, in a Famitsu article, Capcom announced Dragons Dogma Online, a f2p mmo set in another land during the events in Gransys. The game features up to four player co-op and a hundred player town hub. This seems to suggest it may be instance based. There are four classes known atm, hunter, fighter, shield sage and priest. It will be released on PS3, PS4 and PC. But the real kicker is that it will be region locked to Japan at the time of release.

gameplay

story

I just...I just don't know...I am so scared for the future of this franchise. Why Capcom? WHY? I don't think anyone wanted this when they asked for multiplayer, just a proper sequel with a co-op feature. Not only that but you have another f2p title, Deep Down coming out. Are you retarded? You want your games to compete with each other? Most of the units of DD were sold in NA followed by EU. What is with this region lock? Are you allergic to money? There are currently no plans to bring the game to the west(acording to euro gamer). The decision to keep half of the fans away from this game is baffling. Hopefully the west will see it at some point. While this is an early look at the game, nothing new seems to be added to the gameplay(aside from the monster types). In fact the game looks like it did before the HD texture pack dlc(free), with a ton of reused assets. The story will also be broken up into seasons and I can see them fucking this up too by charging for them.

The worst part about this though is that it puts the IP in limbo. If this game is successful or fails, I'm not sure we will see another sequel in a long time. This is an IP that is truly a diamond in the rough, in fact, I believe it has the potential to be a game that defines a console generation, but with this, Im not so sure any more. I pray for it to be a great game all the same because if this is what fans are going to get I want to be able to enjoy it.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Boom.

I just lost any and all interest in Dragons Dogma as a franchise.

Well played Capcom.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Because this has worked out for all the rest that tried this right? Just when Capcom seemed to be turning things around.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gameplay wise it still looks pretty much the same, but the fact that it's an MMO completely destroys any interest I might've had.

Yeah, I knew about this already, but I was hardly surprised seeing as Capcom has lost any semblance of a game developer. I think we got lucky that the first Dragon's Dogma saw the light of day at all.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why bother with the PC version? They wouldn't let us have the single player experience, and there's more than enough f2p fantasy MMOs out there. There's zero reason for PC gamers to care about this. If they were at least to port the original game to the PC maybe PC gamers will become interested in the MMO.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Why bother with the PC version? They wouldn't let us have the single player experience, and there's more than enough f2p fantasy MMOs out there. There's zero reason for PC gamers to care about this. If they were at least to port the original game to the PC maybe PC gamers will become interested in the MMO.
What is really weird is that the PC market in Japan is notoriously weak compared to the rest of the world. they are probably afraid that if they port over the original DD to PC modders would show them up as better developers.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Dansen said:
Adam Jensen said:
What is really weird is that the PC market in Japan is notoriously weak compared to the rest of the world. they are probably afraid that if they port over the original DD to PC modders would show them up as better developers.
Which is weird, because their games usually run VERY well on PC... I think the only one they actually screwed up in the porting process was Operation: Raccoon City. This is, of course, not counting Devil May Cry 3, and the original PC port of Resident Evil 4, as those were outsourced.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Mutant1988 said:
Boom.

Well played Capcom.
This^

Potential classic action-RPG flushed down the pan like so many others.

Why? Why do so many companies insist on wrecking good things so much? It's like a disease running through gaming.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Danbo Jambo said:
Mutant1988 said:
Boom.

Well played Capcom.
This^

Potential classic action-RPG flushed down the pan like so many others.

Why? Why do so many companies insist on wrecking good things so much? It's like a disease running through gaming.
I liked it because it was essentially a marriage of the monster hunter genre (Also a Capcom property, by the by) and classic RPGs.

I want more monster hunter games on systems I actually own damnit!

ironexe

Feb 26, 2015
I'm actually looking forward to Dragon's Dogma. Assuming we ever get it outside of Japan, of course.

As long as it plays the same as the original I'm happy. Free to Play doesn't mean bad. I remember seeing somewhere that you'll be able to get pawns and play by yourself just as in the original, I don't remember where I saw that, I think it was on NicheGamer.

Either way, I'm looking forward to being able to play it with my girlfriend, who got TWO characters to lvl 200 before I hit 150 on one.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I see. They will bring this to PC but not the original Dragon's Dogma. Really starting to tick me off here Capcom.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Only four classes? Are they not even going to pretend this game isn't going to be terrible?
A high schooler could make better business decisions than Capcom

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
Oh my freaking god, WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ALL THESE GOD DAMN MMOS?!
JUST MAKE A DAMN CO-OP OPTION INSTEAD, WAY LESS STUPID STUFF TO DEAL WITH IN MAKING THE GAME I MEAN COME ON!
WHY IS THE ANSWER TO LACK OF MULTIPLAYER ALL THE MULTIPLAYER EVER FOR THESE PEOPLE?!
I'm pissed as it is by the silly ass ending of the original game, even if I love the game alot. But where are they going to go from there? What will they do? And why is it so much to ask that they just give us a normal game with co-op? What? What is it?
I am legitimately curious WHY we can't just have normal co-op. Because this just looks dumb as is.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Such a pity considering how much potential Dragon's Dogma had as a franchise. It's still one of my favourite games released in recent years.

What is with some companies lately and turning primarily single player experiences into MMORPGs? First United Front did it to Sleeping Dogs and now Capcom has done it to Dragon's Dogma. I am not a happy person.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
When I read the headline I was super excited because I really enjoyed DD on my Xbox 360, then in the trailer it didn't mention a thing about releasing it on the last or current gen of Xbox consoles.

SO fuck you too Capcom, last time I buy one of your games.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Nothing says quality product and artistic integrity like releasing a relatively new video game IP with a F2P price model sequel.

Captcha: stay safe. I will! Thank you for looking out for me, Captcha!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Westaway said:
Only four classes? Are they not even going to pretend this game isn't going to be terrible?
A high schooler could make better business decisions than Capcom
Well that's all we know at the moment so its possible there will be more classes announced as time goes on. Its also possible that these will just be the primary classes and each one will have multiple sub classes.

Anyway, yeah I'm kinda bummed that we won't be seeing a proper sequel. Though if the combat remains the same I might give it a try just for the hell of it.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
I'm going to be stupidly optimistic right now and hope that maybe they're planning on reworking this as a traditional sequel to sell to the Western audience since they know for certain that it'll sell that way over here? Yeah, who am I kidding, they don't use logic. Guess I'll just hope this makes its way over somehow and that it's by some miracle really good.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
My thoughts go as:

1. Didn't people take note from Elder Scrolls Online?

2. Is this going to hinder what made Dragon's Dogma, in my opinion, especially great? Probably.

3. Why are they releasing this for the PS3?

4. Thank god they're releasing it for PC.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Aesir23 said:
Such a pity considering how much potential Dragon's Dogma had as a franchise. It's still one of my favourite games released in recent years.

What is with some companies lately and turning primarily single player experiences into MMORPGs? First United Front did it to Sleeping Dogs and now Capcom has done it to Dragon's Dogma. I am not a happy person.
I think publishers get WoW fever every couple of years. They just see that mmo money and delude themselves into thinking they can ape the lightning in a bottle success of Blizzard without taking any of the other factors into account.
Jack O said:
Oh my freaking god, WHAT THE HELL IS WITH ALL THESE GOD DAMN MMOS?!
JUST MAKE A DAMN CO-OP OPTION INSTEAD, WAY LESS STUPID STUFF TO DEAL WITH IN MAKING THE GAME I MEAN COME ON!
WHY IS THE ANSWER TO LACK OF MULTIPLAYER ALL THE MULTIPLAYER EVER FOR THESE PEOPLE?!
I'm pissed as it is by the silly ass ending of the original game, even if I love the game alot. But where are they going to go from there? What will they do? And why is it so much to ask that they just give us a normal game with co-op? What? What is it?
I am legitimately curious WHY we can't just have normal co-op. Because this just looks dumb as is.
I didn't mind the ending too much, it was actually really meta for no reason. The Arisen killing themselves was like a literal representation of the player putting down the game. And the pawn taking over shows that other players go on the same adventure to the same end in this unending cycle found in many games. I found it kind of cool, too bad the rest of the game's story was generic, except for Grigori, fucking love that guy and the Voice Actor.