Drax The Destroyer to Join Avengers 3?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Drax The Destroyer to Join Avengers 3?

Wrestling news site reports Guardians' David Bautista may be getting a bigger role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Marvel Cinematic Universe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks] - and it looks like they're wasting no time in expanding their presence.

Just about the easiest prediction anyone can make is that The Guardians would meet The Avengers at some point, and now a pro-wrestling news site is reporting [http://www.pwinsider.com/article/88147/big-batista-update.html?p=1] that at least one Guardian is already being set to do just that. According to the report, WWE Superstart turned actor David Bautista (who portrays the super-strong, metaphor-averse warrior Drax The Destroyer) is "restructuring" his deal with Marvel in order to appear in more features. Along with the already-announced Guardians sequel, he's described as having a "significant role" in Avengers 3.

While no plot details of either film (to say nothing of Drax's role therein) have been released or confirmed by Marvel, it's worth noting that the expected villain of Avengers 3, Thanos the Mad Titan, featured prominently in Guardians. In addition, Drax and Thanos were conceived as eachother's arch-enemies in the original comics.

Source: PWInsider [http://www.pwinsider.com/article/88147/big-batista-update.html?p=1]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Archer666

May 27, 2011
Eeeh, not sure how to feel about that. Considering I'm not a big Avengers fan, I'd be fine if they just kept these things seperate. But of course, this way they'll make more money.

I'm hoping that we'll eventually get the Annihilation wave as a movie and maybe even the Cancerverse..

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I think this was pretty inevitable, the crossover aspect is a guaranteed moneyspinner

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Oh, yes please. Yes all of please, indeed. This guy's PRESENCE in character encounters by itself is already gold. Think of the metaphors. THINK ABOUT THEM.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Groot + Tony Stark, Rocket Raccon + Steve Rodgers, Gamora + Thor, Drax + Hulk, Black Widow + Star Lord

Matches made in heaven

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
This is kinda non-news isn't it?

If we assume that avengers 3 is going to be the big kick off : Avengers Vs. Thanos , then Drax is 'Core' to this in Lore.

An no it's not because I want to see Black Widow kissing Rocket... ok I'm lying.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
We all knew this was happening, right.

For one thing, everyone assumed after Avengers that Thanos would be a big presence in the sequels and, honestly, half of the avengers would be seriously outclassed by the Mad Titan. They needed to add more power to the roster, and with the success of Guardians, that problem just solved itself.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Ben Lyons said:
This is kinda non-news isn't it?

If we assume that avengers 3 is going to be the big kick off : Avengers Vs. Thanos , then Drax is 'Core' to this in Lore.

An no it's not because I want to see Black Widow kissing Rocket... ok I'm lying.
I assume you mean the comics lore? They pretty much threw that out for Guardians. They heavily simplified Drax to fit on screen and also altered his personality from that of a foul-mouthed brawler to Thor-Clashing-With-Culture-Lite. I'm not saying that's neccessarily a bad thing; the movie was kick ass after all.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Archer666 said:
Eeeh, not sure how to feel about that. Considering I'm not a big Avengers fan, I'd be fine if they just kept these things seperate. But of course, this way they'll make more money.

I'm hoping that we'll eventually get the Annihilation wave as a movie and maybe even the Cancerverse..
That would be great.... but sadly isn't likely, considering Annihilus is considered primarily a Fantastic Four villain (but, then again, so was Ronan), and Fox is very strict on keeping a grip on those rights (the reason we haven't seen the Skrulls, for instance).

Still, seeing Nova versus Annihilus on the big screen would probably part me and my money very quickly.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Hasn't it, for a long time, been widely believed that The Avengers and The Guardians will team up against Thanos in A3?!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Ferisar said:
Oh, yes please. Yes all of please, indeed. This guy's PRESENCE in character encounters by itself is already gold. Think of the metaphors. THINK ABOUT THEM.
To say nothing of how many times he can say "this green whore" followed by Gamora threatening him.

Guardians of the Galaxy far outstripped my expectations - it was like a funny star wars that didn't shy away from the weirdness of comics - preferring instead to celebrate it. Here's hoping the next one is at least as good.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm not sure I like where this is going. Avengers team ups work on television because you've got a whole series to develop character development and get to know every team member. Joss Whedon's film didn't play well with a lot of the Avengers, pretty much boiling them down to their most base characteristics. And derailing Thor and Cap's story progression to make them both assholes in the face of a smug Tony stark.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Considering the infinity stone's appearance in multiple major Avenger character movies (and the Avenger movie itself) and one of the infinity stones appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy, I would absolutely expect an epic crossover.

Heck, Thanos (the wearer of the infinity gauntlet which holds the stones) even appeared in both films and the Gauntlet showed up in Thor I believe.

I'm just not sure if the first one will be the cosmic cube storyline or the full-out gauntlet one. The Cosmic cube line created Drax so it sounds like it's along that line. But I really don't know.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Doesn't Downey Jr's Stark ONLY speak in convoluted metaphor? How the hell is Drax going to know what to do? Will he get an ear piece with Jarvis in it, programmed to translate Stark into basic?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
That photo looks shopped.

You can tell by the pixels. And I've seen a lot of shops in my time..

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh HELL yeah! Guardians and Avengers teaming up against Thanos is inevitable and going to be EPIC!
Trishbot said:
Archer666 said:

That would be great.... but sadly isn't likely, considering Annihilus is considered primarily a Fantastic Four villain (but, then again, so was Ronan), and Fox is very strict on keeping a grip on those rights (the reason we haven't seen the Skrulls, for instance).

Still, seeing Nova versus Annihilus on the big screen would probably part me and my money very quickly.
That's the thing with the space characters, they could be used for anyone's enemies. The Fantastic Four, Avengers, and X-Men all had space-faring, time-travelling adventures involving the Kree, Skrulls, Shi'ar, and Inhumans.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Thats awesome and everything, but the thing with these team ups that I dont really get is, what can the Guardians add to the Avengers really? I dont mean that as in a quality of film thing, I mean in a literal term, Drax is a strong guy sure, but he doesnt seem to be anywhere near Hulk or Thor, Gomorrah is a cool lady chick who infiltrates and knows martial arts, but theres already a Black Widow, Rocket is good with tech, but I mean, Iron Man guys. That just leaves Groot. And I guess The Avengers dont have a tree so he gets a free pass

Im not saying it wouldnt be awesome to see all these characters together, but its just one of those things I think about. Maybe I just play too many RPG's and just want my parties to be well rounded

i4njw

May 7, 2014
Now all they have to do is confirm Karen Gillan's involvement, and I will have no doubt in my mind that they're doing Infinity Gauntlet.

I mean, they obviously will, but that'll confirm it.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Thats awesome and everything, but the thing with these team ups that I dont really get is, what can the Guardians add to the Avengers really? I dont mean that as in a quality of film thing, I mean in a literal term, Drax is a strong guy sure, but he doesnt seem to be anywhere near Hulk or Thor, Gomorrah is a cool lady chick who infiltrates and knows martial arts, but theres already a Black Widow, Rocket is good with tech, but I mean, Iron Man guys. That just leaves Groot. And I guess The Avengers dont have a tree so he gets a free pass

Im not saying it wouldnt be awesome to see all these characters together, but its just one of those things I think about. Maybe I just play too many RPG's and just want my parties to be well rounded
A team-up adds volume. You get more good guys to fight the big bad guy and his high-powered generals. In the GotG comic, the Guardians bump into Iron Man in space. He hangs out with them for a bit. He gets it on with Gamora (green space girl bucket list) and is badly damaged by the experience. He gets humbled by Rocket's futuristic space tech. So, there is a great opportunity for an Act 1 Avengers beatdown, Act 2 Avengers meet the Guardians and all are embiggened by the experience, Act 3 bigger team splits up to tackle mulitiple threats and then converges again to fight Thanos.

Well, let's face it. This movie is going to be epic enough that it comes in two parts over two consectutive summers. I don't know if that is Disney/Marvel's release schedule yet, but I'm going to call it now.