Dread it, run from it. The Infinity War trailer still arrives

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BreakfastMan said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Meh, looks like just another Age of Ultron. And Thanos is a shit villain in general.
I find Galactus a much more intimidating villain because he Eats Planets to empower himself.
Yeah, and I think there is just a bit more going on with Galactus in general than "big, strong, mean fucker that wants to kill everyone", which is basically all that Thanos is.
And the fact he's litirally a Planet Sized Space Titan which kinda makes challeging him a bit too complicated.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
See, that's how you do it DCEU. You gotta earn in with 8+ years of movies, character development and intrigue. You can't just throw tired old tropes and 20 year old comics on the screen and claim its amazing.
Still feels incomplete without X-Men and Fantastic Four in this cast.
Eh, maybe for the X-men sure, although Marvel is bringing them in, but Fantastic Four? Even at their best, they're just so goofy. They'd ruin it.

Not really. I've always thought X-Men doesn't work well when it crosses over with Avengers. Fantastic Four I think work better with them.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
SirSullymore said:
Eh, not much to the trailer other than "This Person is in the Movie! This Person is in the Movie! This Person is in the Movie! This Person is in the Movie!..."

Looks neat, but I'm kind of boycotting Disney (a lot of good that'll do haha).
Do you want to know how impossible it is to boycott Disney?

I buy Huggies Baby Wipes to clean myself after I use the toilet. And on the package contains pictures of Micky Mouse on it as part of some promotion/advertisment, so essentially I am giving Disney money for the need of Wiping my Ass after I take a shit :p

And really it goes to show how much Disney cares about Micky Mouse this day and age when he is on shit cleaning wipes.
I know, it's kind of scary. And even if you somehow manage to cut everything that Disney has their tentacles in out of your life, it still wouldn't make any difference in their bottom line. Oh well, nothing I can do but try to avoid their stuff as best I can.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Natemans said:
Not really. I've always thought X-Men doesn't work well when it crosses over with Avengers. Fantastic Four I think work better with them.
Does the MCU really need a third super genius scientist who got his powers because of an accident? I mean between Strange and Banner, we're covered.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
See, that's how you do it DCEU. You gotta earn in with 8+ years of movies, character development and intrigue. You can't just throw tired old tropes and 20 year old comics on the screen and claim its amazing.
Still feels incomplete without X-Men and Fantastic Four in this cast.
Eh, maybe for the X-men sure, although Marvel is bringing them in, but Fantastic Four? Even at their best, they're just so goofy. They'd ruin it.

How did the Comic Books themselves got away with crossing over the Fantastic Four with the rest of the Marvel universe?

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Meh, looks like just another Age of Ultron. And Thanos is a shit villain in general.
I disagree so strongly, Thanos is my favorite Marvel villain. He's not as one-note as you think, if you go back to old Marvel Cosmic stuff. Infinity Crusade, Blood and Thunder, the whole Infinity Watch series, there have been lots of times he was on the good side of a big crisis. Hell, after the whole Gauntlet affair, he was allowed to keep the reality stone by the people tasked with guarding them!
While Thanos' possession of the Reality Gem could grant him virtually anything that he desired, a temporarily resurrected Captain Marvel suggested that Thanos was chosen by Warlock because he was the only being in the universe wise enough not to use it. Having attained godlike status in the past, he simply knew that greater power would not satisfy him. Thanos also knew that the Reality Gem was in its own way the most dangerous of the Gems, and required the simultaneous use of the other Gems to keep its powers under control.

The big turning point for him was when he was rejected by Death. He learned that if he killed everything, that would actually be less souls or whatever for his mistress than if life was allowed to continue to propagate. Think about this: he has obtained total omnipotence before, he could have instantly wiped out the entire universe if he wanted to. The interesting thing is that deep down he knows he doesn't deserve to just win like that, which is how he gets defeated. And then he didn't try that again, because he's the only supervillain who actually learns from their mistakes. People talk a lot of mess about 90s comics, but the Marvel Cosmic line was super dope.

Silentpony said:
Does the MCU really need a third super genius scientist who got his powers because of an accident? I mean between Strange and Banner, we're covered.
Man, fuck modern Marvel. Mr Fantastic used to be THE super genius, he was canonically the most intelligent human for like 50 years. He's the only human who can look at Galactus' tech and know what's going on. Tony Stark is a glorified mechanic who only gets top billing these days because of the movies.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Samtemdo8 said:
McElroy said:
What a crappy trailer. The movie is going to suck major ass unless they make Thanos' struggle with Death watchable.
You know without his helmet Thanos looks like Hellboy or Marv from Sin City......and yet I say that in a negative way.
At first I thought it was Nathan Jones and not Josh Brolin at all.

Apr 17, 2009
I mean, it looks cool and all but I'm disappointed Thanos has become yet another dude who wants to take over the world with his big CGI army. This is like the third one and thats just the Avengers films. Could we not have Thanos just be a dude capable of taking everyone on by himself? Or give him a few super-tough minions like he occasionally does?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Samtemdo8 said:
BreakfastMan said:
I find Galactus a much more intimidating villain because he Eats Planets to empower himself.
Yeah, and I think there is just a bit more going on with Galactus in general than "big, strong, mean fucker that wants to kill everyone", which is basically all that Thanos is.
And the fact he's litirally a Planet Sized Space Titan which kinda makes challeging him a bit too complicated.
yeah,The second fantastic 4 movie showed us that.
But then again, Guardians of the Galaxy managed to pull Ego off.
And he is pretty much on par with Galactus.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Benpasko said:
BreakfastMan said:
I disagree so strongly, Thanos is my favorite Marvel villain. He's not as one-note as you think, if you go back to old Marvel Cosmic stuff. Infinity Crusade, Blood and Thunder, the whole Infinity Watch series, there have been lots of times he was on the good side of a big crisis. Hell, after the whole Gauntlet affair, he was allowed to keep the reality stone by the people tasked with guarding them!
While Thanos' possession of the Reality Gem could grant him virtually anything that he desired, a temporarily resurrected Captain Marvel suggested that Thanos was chosen by Warlock because he was the only being in the universe wise enough not to use it. Having attained godlike status in the past, he simply knew that greater power would not satisfy him. Thanos also knew that the Reality Gem was in its own way the most dangerous of the Gems, and required the simultaneous use of the other Gems to keep its powers under control.

The big turning point for him was when he was rejected by Death. He learned that if he killed everything, that would actually be less souls or whatever for his mistress than if life was allowed to continue to propagate. Think about this: he has obtained total omnipotence before, he could have instantly wiped out the entire universe if he wanted to. The interesting thing is that deep down he knows he doesn't deserve to just win like that, which is how he gets defeated. And then he didn't try that again, because he's the only supervillain who actually learns from their mistakes. People talk a lot of mess about 90s comics, but the Marvel Cosmic line was super dope.

Silentpony said:
Man, fuck modern Marvel. Mr Fantastic used to be THE super genius, he was canonically the most intelligent human for like 50 years. He's the only human who can look at Galactus' tech and know what's going on. Tony Stark is a glorified mechanic who only gets top billing these days because of the movies.
1. I doubt movie Thanos is gonna have as deep a lore background as his comic book counterpart.

2. I hate Tony Stark :p

Jan 27, 2011
Some of the lines dropped give me some (probably misguided) hope that they're gonna use this to totally turn the Marvel Cinematic Universe upside down.

I really enjoy the Marvel movies, but right now, I want to see the Avengers lose, but manage to prevent a total checkmate, thus spawning another "cycle" of Marvel movies where some of them are dealing with a half-destroyed Earth, and the other half are now dealing with the Guardians Verse. You know, REALLY shake things up.

I wanna see Rocket Racoon working with Doctor Strange to protect a half-destroyed city. I wanna see Spider Man and Captain America and The Hulk working together in a space scenario! Black Panther and Iron Man in a Mad Maxx style desert chase film! Ant man and Spider man doing a heist across time and space! Etc! :D

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I mean, it looks cool and all but I'm disappointed Thanos has become yet another dude who wants to take over the world with his big CGI army. This is like the third one and thats just the Avengers films. Could we not have Thanos just be a dude capable of taking everyone on by himself? Or give him a few super-tough minions like he occasionally does?
But you're assuming that that is his goal, to take over the world. Chances are that he doesn't really care about the world and the real reason he is there is because at least two of the infinity stones are on the planet. The mind stone with Vision and the time stone with Dr Strange.

I am pumped for this it's the pay off to a decade of time and 12 movies spent building to this point and due to contract signing and at least two if not three of the first gen characters wanting to move on from Marvel films chances are if their characters are killed off they aren't going to come back through some sort time reset or other superhero muguffin.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
So stoked for MCU to be done with! Then maybe we can move on to something else that I'll initially like then quickly become bored of.

But probably not.

[sub][sub]Fucking superheroes.[/sub][/sub]

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
Yeah, good thing Marvel doesn't use tired old tropes and 20 year old comics.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
honestly i cant wait for the inevitable plot line where Bucky becomes the new captain america

I'm not too sure who would replace tony if he kicks the bucket as well but I wouldn't mind seeing a live action version of IronHeart
IronHeart sucks though. Riri is exactly what's wrong with Marvel Comics currently. Well, Bendis is gone now so hopefully that all changes. Fingers crossed Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio keep Bendis on the shortest leash possible now that he's at DC.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Kenbo Slice said:
undeadsuitor said:
honestly i cant wait for the inevitable plot line where Bucky becomes the new captain america

I'm not too sure who would replace tony if he kicks the bucket as well but I wouldn't mind seeing a live action version of IronHeart
IronHeart sucks though. Riri is exactly what's wrong with Marvel Comics currently. Well, Bendis is gone now so hopefully that all changes. Fingers crossed Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio keep Bendis on the shortest leash possible now that he's at DC.
youre gonna have to be specific for whats exactly wrong with marvel comics
Pandering mostly. Creating new minority characters but giving them no other trait other than being a minority. I'm all up for diversity but it has to be done right.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Kenbo Slice said:
undeadsuitor said:
Kenbo Slice said:
undeadsuitor said:

youre gonna have to be specific for whats exactly wrong with marvel comics
Pandering mostly. Creating new minority characters but giving them no other trait other than being a minority. I'm all up for diversity but it has to be done right.
u mean legacy characters?

been a thing for decades dude

i mean fuck the ironheart book isnt even a year old yet. ironheart the character barely even been around for a year. how about we stop judging year old characters against title characters that have been around for decades

you like barbara gordon right? you would agree she was more than just female batman right? that took years. barbara gordon was introduced as batgirl in 1967. And by 1988, the year Killing Joke came out, 21 years later, literally no one cared about her to the point that when alan moore wanted joker to shoot her, his publisher said "yeah, okay. Cripple the *****"

but ironheart is black so she has to climb up a hill to be just as 'compelling' as a 60 year old character
Dude I'm talking about the state that Marvel has been in the last 5 years. They've introduced plenty of new and diverse characters that have gone fucking nowhere.

Whereas on the DC side of things they introduced Simon Baz who's a really good character. He's Muslim but that's not his only character trait.

I'm just saying they should focus on making good characters and not try so hard to be diverse. Have you read that America comic? About the latina lesbian who's super awesome at everything? My friend who happens to be a latina lesbian told me she never felt more pandered to in her whole life.