"Dream of the Sky"

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
So, any chance you'll release the full 8 1/2 minute version separately? I can see why you cut it down so much and it's probably a good decision but I'd definitely buy that version as well if you released it as a separate song.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rack said:
So, any chance you'll release the full 8 1/2 minute version separately? I can see why you cut it down so much and it's probably a good decision but I'd definitely buy that version as well if you released it as a separate song.
Nah, it doesn't exist, I literally chopped all that stuff out - it was just repetitions of stuff already in the song though!

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Interesting to read this behind-the-scenes of the music production. Although I haven't played the game yet so I have decided not to listen to this song because I'm extra-paranoid about spoilers.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Rack said:
Nah, it doesn't exist, I literally chopped all that stuff out - it was just repetitions of stuff already in the song though!
Aaw. Thats a real shame. I know cutting songs are critical to reach the wider audience, but it would have been real nice for those of us who simply can't get enough of it already. Like with Sovngarde song, I appreciated the shorter version first, but now I only listen to the longer one.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
The only gripe I could have with this song is that you haven't taken each section and made entire songs out of them yet. Seriously, all of my hats are off to you for your research and the CAGED bit. The final melody about being alone struck me so hard I unintentionally placed something very much like it in my music composition final; I removed it when I realized where it had came from, though, because it was your work, not mine.

Pontifex

Mar 17, 2010
Seeing "Dream of the Sky" described as an overture makes me really want to see Gavin write a Bioshock Infinite musical.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I know ive been on your threads and told you how amazing your music is before Gavin, but you really, really outdid yourself with Dream of the Sky. It just eclipses all your previous work in its scope.

I really like these Encore pieces, I dont really know anything about music, but its always fascinating finding out how these songs get made, and the thought that goes into them

timboo_drow

Jul 21, 2009
This track is really good. To be honest I usually don't pay much attention to this column, but "Dream of the Sky" really piqued my interest. It's not that the track is audibly compelling to listen to, which it is, what I enjoyed the most is the way you made a connection between the two Bioshock games not with words or commentary but with audio design. This is the element of Dream of the Sky that really resonated with me. Very nicely done.

Larcenist

Apr 22, 2011
99 tracks? Sounds like you had the time of your life making this song. I think I only ever reach 15-20 tracks or so when I go completely nuts (though only playing many different guitars with no ability to sing whatsoever might work wonders in limiting track count).

I really hope that, in the cases where it makes sense (not this song since you say you only really removed redundant parts), you keep releasing both the, in lack of better words, radio edit as well as the extended full song that you make (Take it Back for example).

Will there be any more physical album releases by the way? Press X to Rock is excellent to keep in my shitty old Volvo without AUX support (you're in there right next to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets which is quite a feat I dare say).