Dredd Writer: Sequel Not Happening

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Great movie. Pity it won't get a sequel. Ironically, I think it might be too solid to truly become much of a cult classic, either. I wonder what sank it? Poor marketing? I have to admit, I'd've never considered seeing it except word of mouth keyboard.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess that means I can buy the DVD without worry of getting a sequel box version in the future.

Granted I like it if they did make a sequel thought (alot of potiental plot given to how little I know of Dredd).

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I guess that means I can buy the DVD without worry of getting a sequel box version in the future.

Granted I like it if they did make a sequel thought (alot of potiental plot given to how little I know of Dredd).
You realize the irony of what you've done right? By not buying a copy hoping for a sequel, you (and others who did the same) have contributed to another sequel not happening.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

It could have been beautiful, it could have been great, but twas not to be.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
so am i getting this right.

Make a good movie + crappy marketing = shitty movie and a fail.
Make a shitty movie + market the shit out of it = great movie worth milking the shit out of. ok then.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
It's a shame, but I think Dredd would be a great candidate for a Netflix Original TV series - I could easily imagine it taking off. Better than that dreadful Marco Polo, anyway. There hasn't been a decent SF cop show for quite a while (although that time travel one was OK)

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well, saw that coming. It's a shame that is an awesome hardcore action movie. I put it right next to Robo Cop.

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
"Because the reality is that a film needs to acquit itself. It shouldn't need a petition. And the truth is if it gets to the point where it needs a petition, it's in big trouble anyway. That's the cold hard reality of it."

So if millions of people want a sequel which could be enough to make your money back they decide no just because.
The worst is this "And the truth is if it gets to the point where it needs a petition, it's in big trouble anyway." No it means IT HAS AN AUDIENCE.
The saddest thing is that if they make a sequel it could be the a terrible movie but they would still make tons of money because right now the movie has millions of fans who discovered it in DVD, so make IT.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Dredd was damn good, I literally just watched it the other day and my mind has been swimming with possibilities for the sequel. This is oddly timed and awful news.

So tired of shitty PG13 action romps, Dredd didn't pull a single punch and held true to the character it portrayed.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
This is why I dislike the general public, shit like transformers keeps getting sequels and anything with actual effort put in is wasted.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Maybe if they hadn't have released it only in 3D? Just saying. Or if it was in 2D don't restrict the fuck out of it.

Sep 24, 2008
So we all get punished... Because the movie producers and the like didn't think that highly of the movie... and they didn't market it.

Essentially, we're getting blamed for not being omniscient and just knowing the movie existed?

"It makes me feel sad really. I feel grateful to the people who've attempted to get a sequel off the ground. And sorry that actually what happened was we let them down. Because the reality is that a film needs to acquit itself. It shouldn't need a petition. And the truth is if it gets to the point where it needs a petition, it's in big trouble anyway. That's the cold hard reality of it."
That's bullshit. It got a petition because no one knew about it and then saw how wonderful it was on Netflix. I know I did. It got supporters and outcry because the Production side failed, not us.

karloss01 said:
This is why I dislike the general public, shit like transformers keeps getting sequels and anything with actual effort put in is wasted.
That isn't entitely fair. People at least know of Transformers. People are sheep, yes, but the fact they they will flock to whatever they see just shows the fact that Dredd wasn't even talked about. If people knew, people would have watched.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I loved that the film and am terribly saddened by the unlikelihood of a sequel. :( I also never heard a word about it until it had already finished its theatre run, and had to wait for a DVD release before I got to see it. Since then I have rewatched it a dozen times at least. It got the character and world so right.

Manthraxx said:
I would suggest they go the crowd funding way, like Iron Sky. It will mean a very large target, compared to Iron Sky, but I'm sure it could be done... I mean it "just" requires 300.000 fans giving $100 each.
That would also need the copyright holders to agree and I'm not sure that would be likely. But sure, I'd put in a hundred for a Dredd sequel, no problem. So that's two of us, just 299,998 to go.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Really excellent movie and much closer to the comic Dredd than the Stallone camped up version. Loved the comic styling and brutal violence, very well written. Karl Urban was an unlikely, but wholly effective Dredd. If there wont be another one, its a shame.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is an outright damned shame. Unlike many other remakes and re-envisionings of older movie adaptations, Dredd didn't try to shoehorn in social commentary of current real life events or dumb down the source material, or take itself too seriously when the source was parody to begin with. It was just an awesome action movie based on the Judge Dredd comics. No attemteped subtle attacks on drones and/or internet impacting a person's privacy. No going into detail with an elaborite backstory of why the Earth is baren because wars going on in real life 2012. Just good wholesome family fun.

The R rating is a stigma every film maker whose partial target audience would be under 17. The theaters are starting to card everyone for every R film (and employees who forget could be fired on the spot for one infraction), because of the threats of moral guardians lobying for goverment rating control. And we got the MPAA review board, which is very biased about many things and full of out of touch with mainstream society rich old white people. The film makers are stuck which dumbing down their vision (None of us here want a pg13 Deadpool.) to hit that large audience that will buy up tickets in the first weekend or risking that the crowd of older High School and college students, and adults will have the time and money to come see it.

Maybe with the new ways to release movies opened up, more R films and others that poor advertising affect could be successful. Theaters already reaching luxury prices, even before the ones that actually have luxury features are counted. That's affecting many decisions to go see any movie.
Darth Sea Bass said:
Maybe if they hadn't have released it only in 3D? Just saying. Or if it was in 2D don't restrict the fuck out of it.
I think, think, one of my local theaters had a screen showing 2D, for maybe a week, then only 3D for the last 2 weeks Dredd would grace us. They like to do that a lot with limited releases like this and older films that have 1-2 weeks left. When no new IMAX film is out yet and print on its way out has an IMAX version, they make the IMAX one the only showing and charge an extra $3 ($5.50 with 3D). It sucks if that is your only chance to see something. (And double sucks in my area, since the IMAX screen is a converted house, meaning they ripped out the front row seats, jammed the biggest screen the could in the house, and fit IMAX's ridiculous equipment in where they could. It shows how desperate they where to make it work, too.)

It's an utter travesty the push 3D like that. I don't want to pay $3 extra per ticket to have to wear cheap ABS plastic glasses and hurt my eyes trying to focus on something the human eye wasn't meant to process. (With a dead on perfect angle, the 3D on a 3DS still looks like layers of blurry cardboard cutouts. Real3D movies are no different.) I'm sure many people either feel the same way or at the very least don't want to be forced to pay extra for the only available showings of their chosen movie.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Trishbot said:
A sequel would make more money, guaranteed.
Damn right, and it's a problem that big business is incapable of paying attention to social media. Dredd was great, Karl Urban was a great casting (and the man needs more times to shine - great in Doom, amazing in Lord of the Rings, solid in Beyond Human, girls want to fuck him and guys want to be him) and the action is something other films need to aspire to. No more of this Michael Bay flippy/spinny-cam massive explosions bullshit.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
Personally, I liked the original film (although I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia from childhood) and didn't think much of the 2012 effort. It just seemed bland to me, to the extent that I remember that it was about Dredd storming a block of flats, but that's all I remember. Maybe that's more in keeping with the tone of the...comics? it's based on, but as someone with no knowledge of them (an outsider looking in) I can see why Dredd 2012 (and by extension it's potential sequels) didn't do well.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
it seems odd to me that a sequel has not been green lit. the first may have been unsuccessful in theaters, but it has become a cult hit. there are so many people that want a sequel. if they made one for the same budget, it would surely be a success.