Drifters RP (Closed, Started)

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Cael was still picking through corpses, salvaging armour, and stealing trinkets from dead men when his thoughts turned to the life he had accidentally left behind. He remembered his wife and children, his clan and his past battles, and most of all the culture he left behind.

Inspired by his musings, Cael began to sing in his native tongue as he worked. He was soon stripping bodies and hauling 2 over each shoulder to the mass grave that had been prepared for them, and sounding happy while doing it. It seemed that, while singing at least, Cael had remembered a piece of his youth and been inspired by it.

Just a bit of filler to show I'm not gone >.>

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
John woke with a start to find a young elf woman, about the same age, standing over where he lay. "Are..you..okay?" she asked in halting english. "I'm fine" he responded, "just tired from fighting." "O..kay" she giggled, "food...will be..soon." With that she darted back to a group of similar aged women.

Laying back John smiled, Hell maybe this ain't so bad, Lord knows I ain't found a willin' woman in a while, and they DO seem mighty grateful. Perhaps I should see how grateful they are?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
James left the hut alongside Hui, taking in the heavily altered atmosphere, appraising the difference probably due to a lack of fouler beings present as they were earlier in the day. The sun was lowering in the sky, bathing the sky impeccably and impenetrably blue in one last triumphant blaze before it would begin taking on the pinkish tinge of the evening. James took a deep breath through the nose. It had been months since he was last out in open country away from cities and factories and docks. The refreshment was heavily hampered by the still present faintness of blood in the air. It did not disturb him as much as the fact that he was not disturbed by it disturbed him.

KronosTalon

May 30, 2010
Titus was trying to keep busy and avoid taking a look at his leg, but he felt it was getting worse. He looked down and saw the blood still trickling through his bindings, and he knew it was only a temporary fix. He had seen Myumi patching up the knight earlier, so he decided to seek her out. Putting down what he was working on and giving a quick "Sorry" To the elf, he walked around and called out"Myumi! I have something that needs your attention!" Quite loudly across the village, limping as he went.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
Hui takes the note from Keran and reads through it a few times, the meaning sinking in.

"Obviously this mistrust goes both ways," he laughs.

"I'm sure Alder will enjoy this one," he smiles thinly, his eyes still searching the village before turning back to Keran, "have you seen Myumi or Cael around, Keran?" he asks politely.

He casts his glance back across the note, how far does this go? he ponders to himself.

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
Keran looked around the village shortly, trying to spot either one.
"I saw Cael picking through some of the bodies. He must still be at it. And the last I saw of the female warrior... Yumi, was it? She helped me bind my wounds mere moments ago by the well. She may still be tending the wounded."

Keran then stepped two steps back and sat down at a horse carcass. It was nice and warm, and at least now he could finally rest a little bit after the battle.
"I really need to find a suit of armor."
He said to himself, more than anyone else, while looking down at his shirt and tugging it. It was all bloody by his shoulder and it smelled.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Cael trundled down the street with a few bundles over his shoulder, distributing them to a capable elf every now and again. He was still humming the tune that he had stripped and buried bodies to. He came just into earshot as Keran muttered something about needing armor.

"Well here!" Cael exclaimed as he got closer and plopped the last of the bundles down next to Keran. "There is a suit from one of the dead soldiers inside. I'm just about to head back and get some more to distribute. Most of the elves have already outfitted themselves."

Cael turned to go and spotted Hui with a thin smile on his face. Cael sighed when he saw that look, it was a look that meant Hui knew something dark. Helpful, but dark. "Whatcha learn from our friend in there?" Cael spoke in his thick accent and motioned towards the hut. "Must 'ave been good for that smirk to show up."

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
"Alder? He was willing to tell us all," Hui grins, handing the note towards Cael, "and it turns out his feelings were mutual."

"He helped us because he hated the local lord, so he should be willing to help us in the attack as well, going by that," he grins darkly, motioning towards to the note.

"For the actual attack, we should take a few days to rest first, some of us are wounded. It would be suicide for us to attack in this condition," he mutters thoughtfully, "I will have Alder draw up a proper map of the base for us in the mean time."

"Anyway, what news is there from the village? How are the other Drifters settling?"

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
"There, done" said Myumi, having put the final touches on her treatment of Titus' injury, stepping back to look upon and critique her work.

"You fought well today Titus, you shall be an asset to the Drifters" continued the Samurai, a rare smile appearing on her face for a few moments, before she heard her name being mentioned and it vanished, her trademark cold gaze back on her face.

Then, without further words, Myumi spun on her heel and set off for Hui.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
John let out a large yawn as he awoke from his hay pile. As he got and stretched, he nearly burst out laughing. Holy crap! The ice queen just cracked a smile! He thought, as he watched Myumi finish treating Titus. Hmm the chinaman seems pleased 'bout somthin', I better go see what's up. With that he took off at a jog, quickly falling into step beside Muymi.

"You should smile more" he said, looking at Myumi. "It looks good on you...I know we got off to a bad start, so I'd like to start over." With that he removed his hat and bowed his head slightly. "Good day my dear my name is John Athol, it is a pleasure to meet you."

@The Zango: Dont worry, Johns not trying to hit on Myumi, just not have her hate him so much :)

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Cael shrugged and shook his head at Hui's inquiry. "I don't know any of them personally. Been too busy cleaning up the bodies and tending the elves." The big Celt crossed his arms and thought hard on his experience on the field with the small squad he led. I was the only one that escaped injury. He thought. Recalling the experience it seemed that only Keran had fought in any kind of organized army.

Cael sighed at his realization that the Drifters were a bunch of unorganized brawlers more than a cohesive fighting force. "Well," Cael said to Hui, "It would seem most of them aren't experienced in the area of armies either that or they aren't familiar with any kind of sword play. Some of them even fall into both groups. We'll need to train, even our own, to fight side by side and how to wield a blade, I think."

"As for news from the village," Cael breathed as he finished his report, "Most of the elves are unharmed, as you'd expect from an archery unit. Minor injuries here or there but nothing serious and the village seems mostly intact."

Cael ended with a grin of his own, "One hell of an fighting force we got. A bunch of archers and some men that can barely hold their own on the field. We're going to need some tactical brilliance to pull this off."

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
Keran was sitting at a horse carcass right next to Hui and Cael as they chatted about the previous fight's report.
"I have trained hundreds of men in the means of balancing sword and shield, but I have no experience in agile movement."

He'd been eying the pile of goods Cael had offered him and found a nice piece of leather and chainmail suit. It smelled of blood and sweat, so Keran didn't oblige himself in wearing it just yet.
"I'm sorry, but is there a spring nearby? Or better yet, a wash basin? It would be great if I could wash this tunic before our next battle. Wearing armor of a dead man is bad luck enough, without wearing it with his blood as well."

He finished with a smile as he put the armor aside as a sign of future usage. Then he signaled Cael indirectly that he could take the pile if he wanted to.

The Zango

Apr 30, 2009
"Myumi Gozen of Kyukoku" replied Myumi with a slight hint of reluctance and annoyance in her voice, she didn't want to acknowledge John's existence any more than she needed too, but it was dishonorable to actively try to create hostilities or ignore opportunities to cease them, besides she had to admit John was slightly less annoying when he hadn't just died upon waking up in a strange castle.

But her icy exterior wasn't going to melt that easily, and so, for the rest of the trip to join up with Hui, Myumi kept silent.

"One hell of an fighting force we got. A bunch of archers and some men that can barely hold their own on the field. We're going to need some tactical brilliance to pull this off."

"They will need to improve greatly to stand a chance, but they have potential and with your permission I will assist in training them" said Myumi as she joined Hui and Cael, bowing deeply and waiting for a break in the conversation before she began to talk.

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
Keran looked at Myumi when she joined the group of leaders present.
"Then I shall train them in defending themselves and you shall train them in the offensive part of combat. Now we need someone who can discipline them and teach them to work as a team..."

The Zango

Apr 30, 2009
"I believe that is Cael or Hui's specialty" said Myumi, giving the Celt a respectful nod as she spoke. Whilst Myumi had fought and even commanded in a regular army during her time in Japan, she fought best when her and her team fought independently, only helping each other when completely necessary and so she didn't think she would be the right fit for a teacher of teamwork.

"We will need to train quickly and efficiently however, our enemies must not be allowed time to regroup"

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
"We will need to train quickly and efficiently however, our enemies must not be allowed time to regroup"

"I agree with Myumi there." John said, having followed her to the gathering for something to do. "The less chance those assholes get to prepare, the better chance we'll all stand." Looking between Cael, and Keran he went on. "I for one, also wouldn't mind learnin' how to better use this oversized pig sticker I just picked up," motioning to his new sword. "I'm good with a short blade, but this is a bit beyond me."

As he stood there, he began to fiddle with his Schofield. "Well shit, I must be gettin' sloppy, I ain't reloaded." With that he delved into his bag and retrieved a box of ammo. After carefully extracting the spent shells, he loaded six new rounds, keeping the spent casings incase he ever got a chance to reload them.

The Zango

Apr 30, 2009
"Then we have no time too loose" declared Hui, stepping forwards into the impromptu commanders circle that had formed, placing himself in the middle. If there was one thing Hui could do, it was command the hearts and minds of his men, he'd been doing it all his life and it was in his blood, in his very soul.

"Cael, gather the other drifters here and prepare to move out. Myumi, ask around and get the Elves that know where the fortress is and also the ones you deem more suited to stealth, inform them that they might be gone for a while, but they are serving their village" instructed Hui, sending his lieutenants off on their tasks. Hui waited and contemplated while they were gone, but he didn't have to sit idle for long, as Myumi and Cael returned quickly.

"Drifters! We have alot of work to do, we need to turn into a force that can challenge any who seek to oppress this land! Now onwards! Back to the castle!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next month was hard, probably much harder than some of the living training a few drifters had been through. Whilst Hui and Cael worked together tirelessly to teach the Drifters cooperation, tactics and teamwork, Keran and Myumi really put the Drifters through their paces, as they were mentoring them on the martial points of war and battle.

At first progress was slow, the recruits would fumble their weapons, defy orders or inadvertently jeopardize the training, often sending Myumi into bouts of anger that she did not emerge from for days, days in which she would work the Drifters to the very limits of their endurance.

However, slowly but surely, the training started to catch on and stick with the recruits, there were gradually less and less mistakes, less fouls and less single-minded bravado, the Drifters were starting to fight well as a team.

Finally, after an intense month of hard, almost round-the-clock training, Hui and the instructors deemed the Drifters ready for combat.

Now, Hui, Myumi and Cael await the rest of the Drifters in the main hall of the Castle, the very hall that they had all met in one month earlier. There is a sense of expectation and preparedness in the air, which gives the triumvirate of leaders a sense that they have done their jobs well.

TTT has asked me to help him with the thread a little and this is what I've come up with. I thought I'd skip the tedious training posts, so that we could get to action and story a little quicker. Your characters are currently scattered around the castle, at the various haunts they occupy in the rare moments that they are not on duty and training, but now they have been summoned to the main hall, where the battle plan shall be laid out.

Think of this as a role-call of sorts, to see who is still with us

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
John yawned as he approached the main hall, stretching his arms as he walked God damn! He thought. I aint ever been so glad to see time pass. In the past month his appearance had changed some, from his more defined muscles, to his longer beard, and hair. His clothing had changed as well, for one he no longer wore his revolver, as he found it interfiered to much with his sword. His duster he'd had repurposed into a cloak, with the help of an elf girl he was seeing, as well as removing the right arm of his tunic. Both of these were done to increase his ease of movement when fighting.

"Hey Hui, Cael whats goin' on?" He called as he entered the main hall, seeing Myumi with them he grabbed the brim of his hat and nodded. "Ma'am."

Jeff Gibson

May 6, 2010
Sam was just outside when the call went out, checking up on his plane. With the help of some elves, he'd finally managed to move it to the castle, and spent a considerable amount of his free time there, making sure that it was in working order. He was no mechanic, but he had a rough idea of what he was doing.

When he was finished, he unrolled his sleeves, and walked over to a nearby tree, where he had left his coat, hat, and belt hanging on a branch. As he walked, he stroked his chin. He'd never gone this long without shaving before, and thought his new beard was coming in nicely. He put on his gear, still not quite used to the added weight of the sword on his belt, and entered the castle. When he arrived at the main hall, he quickly saluted the trio.

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
Keran's appearance hadn't changed all too much. He had however replaced the piece of armor he'd received from his fallen adversary with a finely crafted suit of armor crafted by the elves from the village.
He brandished a thin layer of beard along with a full head of hair. He'd untied the three locks and used them to create a ponytail, for his hair had grown too long and had been getting in his way in duels and training.

Keran strode into the great hall wearing his new gear with pride. His old shield had been remade and repaired and the sound from his sabatons hitting the stone floor echoed across the hall.
In his left hand he carried a helmet that he'd also received from one of the elven blacksmiths and it was complete faceguard with only a few striped openings for vision.

Walking up toward the three leaders, Keran stood before them and knelt down on one knee.
"As always, my blade is at your command. Milord."